[APP][5.1+] TrackerControl: Control Trackers and Ads

Search This thread

L1p1c1

Aug 9, 2016
heaven
You're right about AdGuard. The VPN solution is meant to make the app easy to use.

However, you can add custom DNS addresses and custom blocklist, auch as AdGuard's, in the settings.
Can you clarify how to do that ? I wanna add block list from adguard plus tracker control, not to replace trackercontrol list.
How to use both of them ?

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
I have compared the functions of TC and NG for a while. NG wins!
NG can better stop app traffic if it is no tracker. NG is also my favorite because TC is a ( at my opinion) another kind of clone of Marcels work and I prefer the original! Sorry, that's my opinion.

Btw:
1.) why does " track network usage " don't work?
2.) I think sometimes TC don't show internet activity of apps, but they have.

Last edited:

L1p1c1

Aug 9, 2016
heaven
I have compared the functions of TC and NG for a while. NG wins!
NG can better stop app traffic if it is no tracker. NG is also my favorite because TC is a ( at my opinion) another kind of clone of Marcels work and I prefer the original! Sorry, that's my opinion.

Btw:
1.) why does " track network usage " don't work?
2.) I think sometimes TC don't show internet activity of apps, but they have.
I dont understand anything. What NG stops better if there are no trackers ? :))

LordCthulu

Apr 3, 2011
How does TC work with private dns? It keeps popping up a bubble at the bottom but the text gets cut off and I can't find any info about it online. I want to use private dns because it provides the best control but I also want to block things at the device level.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    feature.jpg

What is this about?

TrackerControl allows users to monitor and control the widespread, ongoing, hidden data collection in mobile apps about user behaviour ('tracking').

To detect tracking, TrackerControl combines the power of the Disconnect blocklist, used by Firefox, and our in-house blocklist is used, created from analysing ~2 000 000 apps!

Additionally, TrackerControl supports standard blocklists.

This approach
    • reveals the companies behind tracking,
    • allows to block tracking selectively, and
    • exposes the purposes of tracking, such as analytics or advertising.

The app also aims to educate about your rights under Data Protection Law, such the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Under the hood, TrackerControl uses Android's VPN functionality, to analyse apps' network communications locally on the Android device. This is accomplished through a local VPN server, to enable network traffic analysis by TrackerControl.

No external VPN server is used, to keep your data safe!

How to get it?

TrackerControl is available on F-Droid, the most popular open-source Android app store:

Alternatively, the app can be downloaded directly from GitHub, including automatic checks for updates:

Problems?
    • You have another VPN service, such as NetGuard? Sorry, only one VPN supported.
    • You are on Android 9+? Try to disable 'Private DNS' from the settings.
    • You are on Lineage OS 15.1 / 16? This has known issues with VPN.

Disclaimer: The usage of this app is at your own risk. No app can offer 100% protection against tracking.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TrackerControl, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    kasnder
    Source Code: https://github.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2020-09-12
    Last Updated 2020-09-12
    The best workaround I've found so far is to create additional work profiles using Island or the FOSS fork Insular. Each Android work profile has a separate network connection, so this at least allows me to use all the VPNs I want concurrently, including TrackControl. But not together on the same profile as you're aware.

I like this workaround! I've added this here: https://github.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android/issues/61

One thing that I'm considering adding is automatic changing of DNS, depending on WiFi networks. This would allow to switch to PI Hole in a local WiFi network if needed.
    It won't install for me on Android 11 w/ F-Droid. I just get "Error installing TrackerControl: Failed to install due to an unknown error"

This is a frustrating error of F-Droid. Try the GitHub version.
    HoW is this different from let's say blokada or adguard ?great tool nonetheless

The tool is meant to show you more insights into blocking (e.g. the type of tracking, the companies behind tracking, and destination countries), whilst allowing granular blocking for each app.

By default, all detected tracker communications are blocked, including google.com. This will break stuff and needs more configuration for each app but reduces unwanted and unexpected data collection.
    New version comes in 8 languages!

Download here: https://github.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android