[App] [7.+] FOSS Browser [Open Source]

Search This thread

bokusen

Aug 25, 2017
It would still be nice to have desktop view added back in though since it's very useful, especially on tablets.
I'm still using an older version of this browser on my tablet because of this.

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hi, thank you for this project it's my daily web browser :D
do have a crowdin or poeditor for app translation ? @Gaukler_Faun
I don't have it until now. But I'm planning to setup crowdin (once I've the time).

This is an awesome browser, it's super fast. Would it be possible to have a version where all webRTC is removed, to protect from unnecessary data leaks? Thanks.
As far as I know, it isn't possible to disable webRTC in Android webview.

any chance to opt out of that behavior for text?
have it work on links only?
The popup-menu always appears, when you click on a picture or any kind of link. When you long press on simple text, the popup-menu doesn't appear. If text and links are "mixed" on a website, selection of text can be tricky. But in this case I can't do anything.

Could really use Desktop View badly.. Some sites don't render properly without it.
I will not include desktop view in near future. Last time I tried it, it was really buggy.

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Update v 6.0

Changelog:
- updated: adBlock hosts list
- updated: Polish translation (thanks @gh-pmjm)
- fix: problems with characters like ä, ü, ö
- new: Taiwan Trad. Chinese translation (thanks @elmru)
- new: Italian translation (thanks @enricomonese)
- new: Portuguese translation (thanks @Sérgio Marques)
- many more fixes and improvements (thanks @Bo41)

Updates on F-Droid and PlayStore will be there soon. Downloads here and in second post.

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

Attachments

• browser_v6.0.apk
    3.3 MB · Views: 67

ratbags

Jan 19, 2015
Nice browser, but is there any way of retaining web pages across sessions? After I open it after it's been closed all the pages vanish.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@Gaukler_Faun: Thanks very much for this interesting browser. Just using it for one day but I've the impression FOSS Browser is going to become my daily driver. I downloaded the apk from F-droid after I became aware of it here.
I don't know if it's of interest to you and to how many languages FOSS Browser has already been translated but you might consider to promote your browser here for additional translations (post #2 shows active translators sorted by language).

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
@Gaukler_Faun: Thanks very much for this interesting browser. Just using it for one day but I've the impression FOSS Browser is going to become my daily driver. I downloaded the apk from F-droid after I became aware of it here.
I don't know if it's of interest to you and to how many languages FOSS Browser has already been translated but you might consider to promote your browser here for additional translations (post #2 shows active translators sorted by language).
I'll do it (of I don't forget).

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

expxm

Apr 15, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for your great work. It's a lovely app. But there seems to be a bug: the font size change in Fast Toggle does not apply to the current window, even tho the window is reloaded. It only applies to new windows. Please test with web pages of twitter.com or maybe any web page. I'm on Android 9.
Thanks a lot!

Avalon

Mar 10, 2015
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Love this browser to bits. Using it as my daily driver! K was wonder though if it's possible to disable the changelog pop up though. It opens every time the browser is closed and re-opened.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI MIX using XDA Labs

Avalon

Mar 10, 2015
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Just click the "check" button. Perhaps you have to scroll down. The button is at the bottom of the dialog.

Totally my bad. The browser is so minimalistic that I actually didn't try to to scroll down. Thanks!

What would be really be the icing on the cake is if it would be possible to organise bookmarks in folders. But I haven't seen this in (m)any browser so I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Overall I really love it and I shared it with my friends as well.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI MIX using XDA Labs

bntspcht

Oct 19, 2012
Hello,
first of all thank you for developing this app and optimizing it for one hand use!

I have another suggestion: Maybe you can implement a setting so that a user can change the user agent string of the app?

With this option you can circumvent Facebook's totally stupid move to force people to use there messenger app instead of their mobile site..

Thanks and cheers

ShaqB

Sep 13, 2013
Hi,

I love your app. It's would be Cool to have a read mode for articles.

Thank you and a nice day

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
Hi.
Made FOSS Browser my default one.

I just miss one feature: to create links on the homescreen (or did I missed it?).

I use KISS Launcher, so I do not have a homescreen but it is nice to have important links in your searchlist (that is the way how the KISS Launcher works).

Firefox can do this but you can't name the links (the name is the adress http://...).

This would be great!

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hi all there!

I worked on some other apps in the meantime (and also have a.jib and family), so it was quiet here for some time.

At the moment I'm working on an often requested feature: the bookmark management.

- login and bookmarks will be at one tab at the startpage
- a notification with username and password will appear, when you open a bookmark with saved login data from from startpage, automatically
- you can assign to every bookmark a color as icon
- sort bookmarks by color and name
- filter bookmarks by color
- set a favorite link to open at start or open startpage at start

So you must move all your bookmarks to the login database. Also I don't know if it will still be possible to export and import bookmarks.

I still must do some UI reworks, add an dialog on start to inform new users about the changes and some other small changes. I know, I will loose some users, because they will loose some saved user data. But I think it's important to have a better bookmark management in future.

I will upload an test apk this weekend. Meantime here are some screenshots.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181117-084202_FOSS_Browser.png
    Screenshot_20181117-084202_FOSS_Browser.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20181117-084215_FOSS_Browser.png
    Screenshot_20181117-084215_FOSS_Browser.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20181117-084229_FOSS_Browser.png
    Screenshot_20181117-084229_FOSS_Browser.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 135

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    featuresGrafic.png

"FOSS Browser" is a fully free (as in freedom) open source Android software. The intention is to provide a simple and lightweight, but powerful and privacy-friendly browser with a modern user interface. - Your privacy - your data.

Wiki | Releases | Changelog | Privacy | License | Code of conduct | Contributing | XDA | Help translating on Crowdin

Get it on F-Droid | Donate

UI/Handling

FOSS Browser uses the latest [Material You](https://m3.material.io/) design libraries. Following system day/night mode and a wallpaper based theme are just two features of this new library. The UI is optimized for one-hand-use. All UI-elements are at the bottom of the screen.

More features:
    • Play audio on background.
    • Keep screen on.
    • Open links in background.
    • Restore tabs on restart.

Privacy

FOSS Browser uses profiles to protect your privacy. For each profile you can enable or disable: AdBlock, JavaScript, cookies, fingerprint protection and much more. Profiles can also be saved for domains ("github.com" ⇒ Trusted website). This saved domains always overwrite the current profile. So, for example, "github.com" will always open with the trusted profile, even if you are browsing in the protected mode.

More privacy features:
    • Build in AdBlock, which updates automatically. You can decide which content to block. AdBlock hosts are taken from Steven Black - AbBlock hosts.
    • Third-part-cookies can not be enabled.
    • Enable or disable Android-autofill.
    • Delete browser data (on app exit).
    • Choose between different search engines (or set a custom one).
    • FOSS Browser itself doesn't collect any data: Privacy

Bookmarks filter

Organize your bookmarks with filters. You can set custom names for each filter. Long press the bookmark icon in the toolbar to get fast access to your favorite bookmarks.

Gestures

You can assign over ten different gestures to the toolbar and the toolbar buttons. Each in four directions. So you have up to eight different gestures to control FOSS Browser. Supported is for example: load last website, switch tab, reload, open bookmarks, ... and many more.

Backups

Backup all your important data (bookmarks, history, trusted websites and so on) on your SD-card. You can also back up FOSS Browser settings.
    Downloads
    • Github-Releases: Here you can find latest app-releases. These are debug versions.
    • Github-latest: Here you can download the debug version with the latest changes. It is like an alpha version for the next update ...
    • F-Droid
    Dear FOSS Browser community,

I'm aware that with the last update I'm annoying a lot of users. Some lost their bookmarks, some are missing features, they are used to. Indeed I was afraid to release that update. It's not easy to make this step as developer. I'm only a small independent developer with a small community. I believe in free software. Free software would be nothing with the community. So let me explain, why I did this step.

Main inspiration for " FOSS Browser" was "Ninja Browser". I liked the bottom orientated layout, the search on site functionality and opening links in the background. I removed all I didn't want and added some things from my other apps.

The next step was a simplified UI. I decided to move all menus and dialogs in in so called "bottomsheet dialogs". This is a android native method to show things moving in from the bottom of the screen. With the new "Overview" it is possible to move the old "StartPage" together with the "tab overview" in such a dialog. Now you can reach all important content in one layout. And this layout can be shown, without opening a new tab. Now all incoming views are handled the same way. The UI is more consistent.

Also the old tab preview used a custom layout. This layout caused many other layout problems. Now, using the native "bottomSheet dialog", I have less layout troubles, less code and less bugs.

Another important point is, that I'm making this app mainly for my use. So if there are two ways I'll always will prefer the one, which I like more. I tested the new layout for several weeks. It's not the same like the old one. But you'll get used to it. At least I got.

Some of your points of critic are already on my to-do list. The next step will be the more individual implementation of gestures. Separated for the floating action button and the adressbar. Swiping up to open overview and switching tabs by swiping left and right will also be an option.

Last, but not least, I'll have to say, that I'm not a learned developer. All I'm coding I learned on my own from tutorials or documentations. I don't have the knowledge to upgrade a database without loosing some user data.

At the moment there is nothing more to say. Thank you for all your support. The journey will go on. I hope with you.

Regards and a happy new year
    Gaukler Faun
    Here is the promised test release. Please make a backup before using (I recommend OandBackup). It is possible that you will lose some data. Things to do before official release:

- new help dialog
    - update screenshots
    - bookmark import and export
    - what you tell me ...

Changes:

- the overview tab is now also a dialog displayed from the bottom
    - tab preview is integrated in the overview
    - bookmarks and login data are now in one tab
    - bookmarks filtering and sorting
    - gestures on toolbar and navigation button are now handled the same way
    - new options for gestures in the settings

Thanks for testing and still following this thread. The show must go on!

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Update v 5.7

As promised ( along time ago) here's the update. It took longer, but there are some changes:

### v 5.7
    - new: delete indexed databases and local web storage
    - new: Spanish translation (thanks to Herman Nunez)
    - new: confirmation dialog before making backup
    - new: delete separate lists (Startpage, history, ...)
    - new: show unsecured connections and try reloading secure
    - new: search engines (Startpage DE, Searx)
    - new: notification when download or screenshot complete
    - new: block remote content
    - improved Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
    - removed: Snackbar (replaced with toasts)
    - removed: request desktop site
    - removed: build in file manager
    - fix: some strings (thanks: gr1sh)
    - fix: some urls opening search results

Thanks for your input and for using "FOSS Browser"!