• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App] [5.+] FOSS Browser [Open Source]

Search This thread
Feb 11, 2021
bug1) Even after approving app permission storage, choosing settings->backup->export bookmarks as HTML-file, will fail with 'failed to export' Toast message. I think this could be due to the app trying to write to sdcard which needs further elevated privilege; unfortunately there is no option to change the default backup path in the app.
If you go to android->data->de.baumann.browser1->files and manually create new folder „browser_backup“ there, export bookmarks will work :)

Looks like issue with folder creation permissions indeed.

I'm more concerned regarding importing bookmarks from html file or another browser..

Just updated to v7.3 via F-Droid:
However, v7.4 is already also available via Github as apk:
Changelog:

@Gaukler_Faun Thanks very much for your continous efforts. Great job!

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Just updated to v7.3 via F-Droid:
However, v7.4 is already also available via Github as apk:
Changelog:

@Gaukler_Faun Thanks very much for your continous efforts. Great job!
Please wait for 7.4.3. because of some bug fixes. Or try debug version from the release site on Github.

You can test it and give feedback here.

At the moment I'm busy. But at the weekend I'll make an update here.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hi,

I am glad to see that there are still some followers for my app! Thanks to all of you.

It was a bit quiet in the last months. I'm working as a teacher in a German school. The last year was not so nice, and I had a lot of work as "admin" of our Moodle-plattform. Some of you have already received the update via PLayStore or F-Droid. So in the attachment is a debug-apk, if anyone wants to test it. It fixes some bugs. Here is the full Changelog.

I personally think it's a great new version. So keep on testing and report issues on Github.

Also thanks to many translators FOSS Browser is now translated in 17 languages. If you want to help you can do it on Crowdin.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• app-debug.apk
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
It was a bit quiet in the last months. I'm working as a teacher in a German school. The last year was not so nice, and I had a lot of work as "admin" of our Moodle-plattform.
There's absolutely no need to apologise for anything. Real life always comes first! And I've no doubt that during these "crazy times" and with your profession other things take clear precedence. I'm just grateful for what you provide to us for free. Via mobile I don't browse the web often but if I do I do only with your FOSS browser. Great work as I stated before.
Just this morning, I've upgraded to v7.4.1 via F-Droid. I already realised the availability of the "debug versions" on Github but was too lazy so far to install them due to the different signature as on the F-Droid versions. As said, I'm not a heavy user of a browser on mobile - just an "emergency tool if downtown" - and therefore I'm certainly not a valuable tester. I hope you don't mind if I continue to simply go with your F-Droid versions.

Have a great weekend - but always stay safe and stay healthy!
Regards - und nochmals vielen, vielen Dank!
Oswald Boelcke

mcarni

Jul 7, 2014
just wanted to thank @Gaukler_Faun for the excellent job, really a browser that ticks all the boxes for me

I have also a little issue, but it might be me... whenever i try to watch a youtube/news video in full screen the browser crashes. But like said above, usually if i need/want full screen i browse on my computer, just wondering if I am the only one with this issue or if there is some kind of fix

once again, thanks a lot
M

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
just wanted to thank @Gaukler_Faun for the excellent job, really a browser that ticks all the boxes for me

I have also a little issue, but it might be me... whenever i try to watch a youtube/news video in full screen the browser crashes. But like said above, usually if i need/want full screen i browse on my computer, just wondering if I am the only one with this issue or if there is some kind of fix

once again, thanks a lot
M
Hi,

thanks for reporting that issue. I can not reproduce that. Since I have only one phone running Android 11 to test, it would be helpful to get more information.

Which Android version do you use? Which webview? Are you using a modified Android (Samsung, MIUI, ...)?

Also a logcat would be helpful. Otherwise I can only guess where to search the issue.

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

once again, thanks a lot
M

Hi,

thanks for reporting that issue. I can not reproduce that. Since I have only one phone running Android 11 to test, it would be helpful to get more information.

Which Android version do you use? Which webview? Are you using a modified Android (Samsung, MIUI, ...)?

Also a logcat would be helpful. Otherwise I can only guess where to search the issue.

Greetings
Gaukler Faun
I confirm the issue and wrote a logcat; attached.
Samsung SM-G955F with LOS 16.0. Bromite System Webview v90.0.4430.204

EDIT: Had to zip the txt-file as the uploaded txt didn't stick.

Attachments

• 2021-05-16-17-01-10.txt.zip
    54.9 KB · Views: 7

mcarni

Jul 7, 2014
in my case Redmi Note 8, LineageOS 17.1-20210414-microG-gingko

my first logcat, so not sure if i did it right ... if you guys need more just let me know

thanks a lot

m

Attachments

• logcat.zip
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi,

Greetings
Gaukler Faun
@Gaukler_Faun I could have report this already yesterday but wouldn't have been able to provide evidence as I'd to download and install a screen recorder first, what I now did.
Directly after start of the browser, if the animation is intended, please make it optional as I'd like to disable it. If it's not intended I'd call it a bug.
Screen record attached (mp4-formate).

Attachments

• recording_20210517_073243-8-28.mp4
    17.1 MB · Views: 0

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
@Gaukler_Faun I could have report this already yesterday but wouldn't have been able to provide evidence as I'd to download and install a screen recorder first, what I now did.
Directly after start of the browser, if the animation is intended, please make it optional as I'd like to disable it. If it's not intended I'd call it a bug.
Screen record attached (mp4-formate).
I'm not sure, if I understand your question. You mean the appearance of the website? If yes, than it is website related. Except the animation of hiding/showing the toolbar, no animations are triggered by my code.

I'm not sure, if I understand your question. You mean the appearance of the website? If yes, than it is website related. Except the animation of hiding/showing the toolbar, no animations are triggered by my code.
Did you start the mp4-file? See how the page slowly develops from the top to the bottom until the screen is completely filled.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
I confirm the issue and wrote a logcat; attached.
Samsung SM-G955F with LOS 16.0. Bromite System Webview v90.0.4430.204

EDIT: Had to zip the txt-file as the uploaded txt didn't stick.

in my case Redmi Note 8, LineageOS 17.1-20210414-microG-gingko

my first logcat, so not sure if i did it right ... if you guys need more just let me know

thanks a lot

m
Hi,

thanks for your help. I think I solved the problem. Perhaps someone with Android < R can test it.

Attachments

• app-debug.apk
    4.4 MB · Views: 4

mcarni

Jul 7, 2014
Hi,

thanks for your help. I think I solved the problem. Perhaps someone with Android < R can test it.
happy to test it... just a very silly question... how do i install the test version?
is there a setting in F-Droid to enable experimental/testing or similar?
or is there an ADB command to install?

i know it is a noob question, but i just started this android adventure ;-)

thanks

m

Perhaps there is something I can do. If you want you can test.
@Gaukler_Faun Just installed the test-apk. Issue solved! Thanks very much indeed.
I realised that the test-apk had the same version number as my previously installed one: v.7.4.3, just with a different signature. I'm only mentioning this for other users.
@Gaukler_Faun Is it possible to give a test-apk a different package name to allow an installation in parallel?
happy to test it... just a very silly question... how do i install the test version?
is there a setting in F-Droid to enable experimental/testing or similar?
or is there an ADB command to install?

i know it is a noob question, but i just started this android adventure ;-)

thanks

m
Negative, there isn't any "test" setting in F-Droid. To use a test-apk will require you to first uninstall the previously used version due to different signatures.
My personal best practise: I save a beckup via Titanium Backup of my current version. In the current version I create backups of my settings and bookmarks; as these are created in internal memory / Android / Data I copy those to my SD Card or any other location in internal memory because that folder will be deleted if you uninstall the current version. Uninstall the current version and install the test-apk. After first start of the test-apk create a backup once in order to create the respective folder in Android / data. Move the previously saved backup of the previous version to there. Import your saved settings and bookmarks into the test-version. Restart the test-version.
I hope I didn't miss anything but maybe there's a shorter way to achieve the same result.

Last edited:

mcarni

Jul 7, 2014
@Gaukler_Faun Just installed the test-apk. Issue solved! Thanks very much indeed.
I realised that the test-apk had the same version number as my previously installed one: v.7.4.3, just with a different signature. I'm only mentioning this for other users.
@Gaukler_Faun Is it possible to give a test-apk a different package name to allow an installation in parallel?

Negative, there isn't any "test" setting in F-Droid. To use a test-apk will require you to first uninstall the previously used version due to different signatures.
My personal best practise: I save a beckup via Titanium Backup of my current version. In the current version I create backups of my settings and bookmarks; as these are created in internal memory / Android / Data I copy those to my SD Card or any other location in internal memory because that folder will be deleted if you uninstall the current version. Uninstall the current version and install the test-apk. After first start of the test-apk create a backup once in order to create the respective folder in Android / data. Move the previously saved backup of the previous version to there. Import your saved settings and bookmarks into the test-version. Restart the test-version.
I hope I didn't miss anything but maybe there's a shorter way to achieve the same result.

Thanks @Oswald Boelcke for the best practice, much appreciated.

not sure if i will make it to test the new app before the weekend, I am on a business trip and I will have no time...

I will probably replace Titanium backup with adb (push/pull) I just need to familiarise with the location of folders in Android (I will take a look at data and Android)

I like the idea of backing up, your suggestion is really appreciated...if i had a penny for every file that i lost because removed/deleted without making a backup first...
once i rm'ed a whole hard disk by mistake ;-)

m

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FOSS Browser

"FOSS Browser" is fully free/libre (as in freedom) Android app. The source code is public. The app also does not need any unnecessary permissions. It's a simple Android browser based on webview. The intention is to provide a simple and light weight but powerful browser with a nice looking user interface.

Help to translate FOSS Browser on Crowdin: https://crowdin.com/project/foss-browser

Links:

Security/Data:
    • fully open source
    • no trackers
    • no unnecessary permissions
    • third party cookies disabled by default
    • enable/disable cookies, javascript, location access, history
    • whitelist for javascript, cookies, remote content and AdBlocker
    • toggle image/third party content loading
    • do not track me
    • backup data
    • AdBlocker
    • delete data on exit (optional)

UI/Handling:
    • optimized for one hand handling (toolbar at bottom)
    • tab control (switch, open, close unlimited tabs)
    • full material design
    • fullscreen browsing (optional)
    • navigation button in fullscreen mode
    • fast toggle for most important settings
    • advanced gesture control for toolbar and navigation button
    • Dark Mode support

Some nice extra features:
    • small size
    • search on site
    • Websearch (from marked text context menu)
    • save as PDF
    • open links in other apps (for example YouTube)
    Downloads
    • Github-Releases: Here you can find latest app-releases. These are debug versions.
    • Github-latest: Here you can download the debug version with the latest changes. It is like a alpha version for the next update ...
    • PlayStore
    • F-Droid
    Dear FOSS Browser community,

I'm aware that with the last update I'm annoying a lot of users. Some lost their bookmarks, some are missing features, they are used to. Indeed I was afraid to release that update. It's not easy to make this step as developer. I'm only a small independent developer with a small community. I believe in free software. Free software would be nothing with the community. So let me explain, why I did this step.

Main inspiration for " FOSS Browser" was "Ninja Browser". I liked the bottom orientated layout, the search on site functionality and opening links in the background. I removed all I didn't want and added some things from my other apps.

The next step was a simplified UI. I decided to move all menus and dialogs in in so called "bottomsheet dialogs". This is a android native method to show things moving in from the bottom of the screen. With the new "Overview" it is possible to move the old "StartPage" together with the "tab overview" in such a dialog. Now you can reach all important content in one layout. And this layout can be shown, without opening a new tab. Now all incoming views are handled the same way. The UI is more consistent.

Also the old tab preview used a custom layout. This layout caused many other layout problems. Now, using the native "bottomSheet dialog", I have less layout troubles, less code and less bugs.

Another important point is, that I'm making this app mainly for my use. So if there are two ways I'll always will prefer the one, which I like more. I tested the new layout for several weeks. It's not the same like the old one. But you'll get used to it. At least I got.

Some of your points of critic are already on my to-do list. The next step will be the more individual implementation of gestures. Separated for the floating action button and the adressbar. Swiping up to open overview and switching tabs by swiping left and right will also be an option.

Last, but not least, I'll have to say, that I'm not a learned developer. All I'm coding I learned on my own from tutorials or documentations. I don't have the knowledge to upgrade a database without loosing some user data.

At the moment there is nothing more to say. Thank you for all your support. The journey will go on. I hope with you.

Regards and a happy new year
    Gaukler Faun
    Here is the promised test release. Please make a backup before using (I recommend OandBackup). It is possible that you will lose some data. Things to do before official release:

- new help dialog
    - update screenshots
    - bookmark import and export
    - what you tell me ...

Changes:

- the overview tab is now also a dialog displayed from the bottom
    - tab preview is integrated in the overview
    - bookmarks and login data are now in one tab
    - bookmarks filtering and sorting
    - gestures on toolbar and navigation button are now handled the same way
    - new options for gestures in the settings

Thanks for testing and still following this thread. The show must go on!

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Update v 5.7

As promised ( along time ago) here's the update. It took longer, but there are some changes:

### v 5.7
    - new: delete indexed databases and local web storage
    - new: Spanish translation (thanks to Herman Nunez)
    - new: confirmation dialog before making backup
    - new: delete separate lists (Startpage, history, ...)
    - new: show unsecured connections and try reloading secure
    - new: search engines (Startpage DE, Searx)
    - new: notification when download or screenshot complete
    - new: block remote content
    - improved Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
    - removed: Snackbar (replaced with toasts)
    - removed: request desktop site
    - removed: build in file manager
    - fix: some strings (thanks: gr1sh)
    - fix: some urls opening search results

Thanks for your input and for using "FOSS Browser"!