[App] [7.+] FOSS Browser [Open Source]

Search This thread

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@Gaukler_Faun: Thanks very much for this interesting browser. Just using it for one day but I've the impression FOSS Browser is going to become my daily driver. I downloaded the apk from F-droid after I became aware of it here.
I don't know if it's of interest to you and to how many languages FOSS Browser has already been translated but you might consider to promote your browser here for additional translations (post #2 shows active translators sorted by language).

To-do before release
  • - waiting for translators
I assume you don't require me for the German translations. However, don't forget there're other who are certainly keen to support translations. Please check here if some still missing languages are supported.
Excellent work by you, and your project deserves every support that is required in my opinion.
Just a little add-on: Your browser is even recommended here: https://www.kuketz-blog.de/empfehlungsecke/#android

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Sorry for late reply, but there was many to do on work.

I assume you don't require me for the German translations. However, don't forget there're other who are certainly keen to support translations. Please check here if some still missing languages are supported.
Excellent work by you, and your project deserves every support that is required in my opinion.
Just a little add-on: Your browser is even recommended here: https://www.kuketz-blog.de/empfehlungsecke/#android
Hi,
thanks for your suggestion. At the moment I'm trying to set up crowdin as translation plattform. But there are problems. And I don't understand much from this things. But vacations started, so perhaps I'll get the time.

Nice work. Is there an option to automatically open all the Tabs, that were open when I closed the App?
No. Not in the moment. Since this is often requested, I'll possibly try to implement it in the future.

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
### v 6.5

So here is a small update:

- new: more font sizes (thanks @pbui)
- new: ECOSIA search engine
- new: open dialogs always expanded
- fix: exclude notifications from recent apps
- fix: some popup dialogs not opening
- fix: hide nav button

Thanks for your patience. Now I've vacations and perhaps a bit more time. Have a nice time.

Attachments

• browser_6.5.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 32

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
So here is a small update:

- new: more font sizes (thanks @pbui)
- new: ECOSIA search engine
- new: open dialogs always expanded
- fix: exclude notifications from recent apps
- fix: some popup dialogs not opening
- fix: hide nav button

Thanks for your patience. Now I've vacations and perhaps a bit more time. Have a nice time.
Is this a beta and only available via XDA. Or will it be released on F-droid soon?
Enjoy your certainly deserved vacations and thanks very much for this great browser and all your efforts.

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Is this a beta and only available via XDA. Or will it be released on F-droid soon?
Enjoy your certainly deserved vacations and thanks very much for this great browser and all your efforts.
The update on PlayStore and F-Droid is uploading. Sometimes it takes a day or two. The version here on xda is the same. But they are not compatible to each other, because they are signed with different keys. So if you have it installed over a store, just wait for the update.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Update v 6.6

There were some critical issues with 6.5, which are solved in version 6.6. Also some other fixes:

- fix: storage permission problems
- fix: location permission problems
- fix: lint issues
- fix: sort startsite by time
- fix: favorite site not loading on start
- fix: inputs not loading
- new: add to startsite from link context menu

Attachments

• browser_6.6.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

AlexBurnout77

Nov 4, 2012
Hey, Mr Glauker; Thanks so much for this browser. I use it with Bromite, although I wanted to know if you have a better, more private WebView in mind.

Anyway, I also have a few improvement ideas! I won't even try to recommend a fix since I'm not that good of a coder.

1. The scrolling isn't as nice as it's on Chrome.
2. I wish the 'find on page' animation (when it goes to the found text) takes too long. Please make it linked to the system animations (if possible).
3. I wish the browser would show my bookmarks when I type the URL (or name, even) of the bookmark. Just like it does with history.
4. Can you please make the start;page black (or based on the theme)? #D
5. I wish there were no tabs when I press the menu button. It takes much longer to go to a specific button (like find on page) than it would be without the tabs. I would kindly suggest an option to remove the tabs and make it fully customizable or just two settings: tabs/no tabs. :cowboy:

That's all I can think of right now… hope it helped a little. God bless your work.

P.S.: I think I know why the scrolling is so annoying. It's the acceleration. Whenever I want to scroll and go quicker, the scrolling gets non-linearly faster and sometimes choppy.

Last edited:

vewa52

Apr 2, 2011
There were some critical issues with 6.5, which are solved in version 6.6. Also some other fixes:

- fix: storage permission problems
- fix: location permission problems
- fix: lint issues
- fix: sort startsite by time
- fix: favorite site not loading on start
- fix: inputs not loading
- new: add to startsite from link context menu

Hi Gaukler, thanks for the updates. I am still on version 6.4 as some websites render properly only on this version. For instance, the homepage of https://www.gotour.co.in renders properly only in 6.4 and not in other versions. Attached are the screenshots. In later versions, the homepage opens as a solid black page. Also, some websites which have a transaction page also do not render properly. Any suggestions on this. Am I missing something.

Last edited:

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hey, Mr Glauker; Thanks so much for this browser. I use it with Bromite, although I wanted to know if you have a better, more private WebView in mind.

Anyway, I also have a few improvement ideas! I won't even try to recommend a fix since I'm not that good of a coder.

1. The scrolling isn't as nice as it's on Chrome.
2. I wish the 'find on page' animation (when it goes to the found text) takes too long. Please make it linked to the system animations (if possible).
3. I wish the browser would show my bookmarks when I type the URL (or name, even) of the bookmark. Just like it does with history.
4. Can you please make the start;page black (or based on the theme)? #D
5. I wish there were no tabs when I press the menu button. It takes much longer to go to a specific button (like find on page) than it would be without the tabs. I would kindly suggest an option to remove the tabs and make it fully customizable or just two settings: tabs/no tabs. :cowboy:

That's all I can think of right now… hope it helped a little. God bless your work.

P.S.: I think I know why the scrolling is so annoying. It's the acceleration. Whenever I want to scroll and go quicker, the scrolling gets non-linearly faster and sometimes choppy.
Sorry for the late replay. First of all: thanks for using "FOSS Browser" and thanks for the suggestions.
1. Test the update I'll release today and report back. It uses the new AndroidX libraries.
2. I can't influence this animation. But in the update I removed nearly all animations. So the experience is a lot smoother and faster, I think.
3. Yes I know that problem. I didn't find a solution until now. But time by time I'm looking into this.
4. What startpage do you mean? The first website that is loading?
5. I'll not implement such "big" things in future. "FOSS Browser" reached a state of "stable" by now. I don't have much time. So my main goal is maintaining this app and make it running on latest Android.

Hi Gaukler, thanks for the updates. I am still on version 6.4 as some websites render properly only on this version. For instance, the homepage of https://www.gotour.co.in renders properly only in 6.4 and not in other versions. Attached are the screenshots. In later versions, the homepage opens as a solid black page. Also, some websites which have a transaction page also do not render properly. Any suggestions on this. Am I missing something.
Please test the update I'll release to day. On my site the website gets displayed. I even could make screenshot.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Update v 6.8 (WIP)

Hallo Community,

sorry for not replying for so long. My vacations were great. Then school and work (I'm teacher started) and time passes by. Android 10 got released. And so I started to prepare "FOSS Browser for Android 10. I switched to the new AndroidX libraries, improved the settings.
With Android 10 there are many changes in the API concerning storage permissions on the external SD-card,. As I want "FOSS Browser" to be integrated in the system as good as possible, I had to change the saving location of backups (/Android/data/de.baumann.browser/files/browser_backup/) and screenshots (/Pictures/Screenshots/). Dowloads and PDF-files are still in the Downloads directory.
I also made a lot of changes under the hood. So please test and report back your impressions.

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

Changelog v 6.8 (WIP)
- new: follow system theme
- new: moving to AndroidX libraries
- new: favorite settings
- updated: settings (especially filter settings)
- updated: saving locations of backups and screenshots

Attachments

• app-debug.apk
    3.2 MB · Views: 40

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Test Version

Hi,

next version is in progress. You can see the changelog below.
  • Are there any problems for users (especially the theme settings) using an Android version < 10.
  • If there are some amoled display users out there, please test the new Amoled theme.

I would also be happy if you share the link to the Crowdin page. There are some languages, which are not translated completely. It would be nice if someone could help: https://crowdin.com/project/foss-browser

Changelog v 6.8 (Work in progress)
- new: follow system theme
- new: Amoled theme
- new: moving to AndroidX libraries
- new: favorite settings
- updated: themes
- updated: Turkish translation
- updated: Czech translation
- updated: Brazilian translation
- updated: Russian translation
- updated: settings (especially filter settings)
- updated: saving locations of backups and screenshots
- removed: tinting of toolbar
- removed: open links in background

Attachments

• app-debug.apk
    3.2 MB · Views: 112

vewa52

Apr 2, 2011
Hi Gaukler, figured out something new. When you install DarQ and force enable dark theme with FOSS browser theme set to 'Light" mode, I was pleasantly surprised to see all websites show up with dark mode enabled with images in color. Something similar to Samsung's dark mode in their internet browser. This is so much better than the inverted gray scale feauture which displays pictures in B/W. Can you figure this out and enable it as a native feature in the browser? Btw I am on 6.9. Thanks.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hi Gaukler, figured out something new. When you install DarQ and force enable dark theme with FOSS browser theme set to 'Light" mode, I was pleasantly surprised to see all websites show up with dark mode enabled with images in color. Something similar to Samsung's dark mode in their internet browser. This is so much better than the inverted gray scale feauture which displays pictures in B/W. Can you figure this out and enable it as a native feature in the browser? Btw I am on 6.9. Thanks.

Hi,

thanks, for still using FOSS Browser. It got a little bit quiet here. But I'm still supporting this project. At the moment I'm working on a bigger update. Stay tuned, I'll give you an apk to test.

In next release the native dark mode of webview will be supported. You need to use latest webview to get this feature. Latest Bromite-webview will also work.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

vewa52

Apr 2, 2011
Hi,

thanks, for still using FOSS Browser. It got a little bit quiet here. But I'm still supporting this project. At the moment I'm working on a bigger update. Stay tuned, I'll give you an apk to test.

In next release the native dark mode of webview will be supported. You need to use latest webview to get this feature. Latest Bromite-webview will also work.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

Awesome!! Looking forward to it :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    featuresGrafic.png

"FOSS Browser" is a fully free (as in freedom) open source Android software. The intention is to provide a simple and lightweight, but powerful and privacy-friendly browser with a modern user interface. - Your privacy - your data.

Wiki | Releases | Changelog | Privacy | License | Code of conduct | Contributing | XDA | Help translating on Crowdin

Get it on F-Droid | Donate

UI/Handling

FOSS Browser uses the latest [Material You](https://m3.material.io/) design libraries. Following system day/night mode and a wallpaper based theme are just two features of this new library. The UI is optimized for one-hand-use. All UI-elements are at the bottom of the screen.

More features:
    • Play audio on background.
    • Keep screen on.
    • Open links in background.
    • Restore tabs on restart.

Privacy

FOSS Browser uses profiles to protect your privacy. For each profile you can enable or disable: AdBlock, JavaScript, cookies, fingerprint protection and much more. Profiles can also be saved for domains ("github.com" ⇒ Trusted website). This saved domains always overwrite the current profile. So, for example, "github.com" will always open with the trusted profile, even if you are browsing in the protected mode.

More privacy features:
    • Build in AdBlock, which updates automatically. You can decide which content to block. AdBlock hosts are taken from Steven Black - AbBlock hosts.
    • Third-part-cookies can not be enabled.
    • Enable or disable Android-autofill.
    • Delete browser data (on app exit).
    • Choose between different search engines (or set a custom one).
    • FOSS Browser itself doesn't collect any data: Privacy

Bookmarks filter

Organize your bookmarks with filters. You can set custom names for each filter. Long press the bookmark icon in the toolbar to get fast access to your favorite bookmarks.

Gestures

You can assign over ten different gestures to the toolbar and the toolbar buttons. Each in four directions. So you have up to eight different gestures to control FOSS Browser. Supported is for example: load last website, switch tab, reload, open bookmarks, ... and many more.

Backups

Backup all your important data (bookmarks, history, trusted websites and so on) on your SD-card. You can also back up FOSS Browser settings.
    Downloads
    • Github-Releases: Here you can find latest app-releases. These are debug versions.
    • Github-latest: Here you can download the debug version with the latest changes. It is like an alpha version for the next update ...
    • F-Droid
    Dear FOSS Browser community,

I'm aware that with the last update I'm annoying a lot of users. Some lost their bookmarks, some are missing features, they are used to. Indeed I was afraid to release that update. It's not easy to make this step as developer. I'm only a small independent developer with a small community. I believe in free software. Free software would be nothing with the community. So let me explain, why I did this step.

Main inspiration for " FOSS Browser" was "Ninja Browser". I liked the bottom orientated layout, the search on site functionality and opening links in the background. I removed all I didn't want and added some things from my other apps.

The next step was a simplified UI. I decided to move all menus and dialogs in in so called "bottomsheet dialogs". This is a android native method to show things moving in from the bottom of the screen. With the new "Overview" it is possible to move the old "StartPage" together with the "tab overview" in such a dialog. Now you can reach all important content in one layout. And this layout can be shown, without opening a new tab. Now all incoming views are handled the same way. The UI is more consistent.

Also the old tab preview used a custom layout. This layout caused many other layout problems. Now, using the native "bottomSheet dialog", I have less layout troubles, less code and less bugs.

Another important point is, that I'm making this app mainly for my use. So if there are two ways I'll always will prefer the one, which I like more. I tested the new layout for several weeks. It's not the same like the old one. But you'll get used to it. At least I got.

Some of your points of critic are already on my to-do list. The next step will be the more individual implementation of gestures. Separated for the floating action button and the adressbar. Swiping up to open overview and switching tabs by swiping left and right will also be an option.

Last, but not least, I'll have to say, that I'm not a learned developer. All I'm coding I learned on my own from tutorials or documentations. I don't have the knowledge to upgrade a database without loosing some user data.

At the moment there is nothing more to say. Thank you for all your support. The journey will go on. I hope with you.

Regards and a happy new year
    Gaukler Faun
    Here is the promised test release. Please make a backup before using (I recommend OandBackup). It is possible that you will lose some data. Things to do before official release:

- new help dialog
    - update screenshots
    - bookmark import and export
    - what you tell me ...

Changes:

- the overview tab is now also a dialog displayed from the bottom
    - tab preview is integrated in the overview
    - bookmarks and login data are now in one tab
    - bookmarks filtering and sorting
    - gestures on toolbar and navigation button are now handled the same way
    - new options for gestures in the settings

Thanks for testing and still following this thread. The show must go on!

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Update v 5.7

As promised ( along time ago) here's the update. It took longer, but there are some changes:

### v 5.7
    - new: delete indexed databases and local web storage
    - new: Spanish translation (thanks to Herman Nunez)
    - new: confirmation dialog before making backup
    - new: delete separate lists (Startpage, history, ...)
    - new: show unsecured connections and try reloading secure
    - new: search engines (Startpage DE, Searx)
    - new: notification when download or screenshot complete
    - new: block remote content
    - improved Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
    - removed: Snackbar (replaced with toasts)
    - removed: request desktop site
    - removed: build in file manager
    - fix: some strings (thanks: gr1sh)
    - fix: some urls opening search results

Thanks for your input and for using "FOSS Browser"!