• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App] [5.+] FOSS Image Editor [Open Source]

Search This thread

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
I want to introduce my new image editor bevore I will release it on F-Droid and Play Store. The app is fully Open Source. And needs no unnecessary permissions (only write on storage to save the edited pictures). It's lightweight (< 5 mb), clean, easy to use and nice looking.

Features:
  • adjustments: brightness, gamma, saturation, ...
  • filter: sepia, monochrome, invert, poster, comic, ...
  • add text: add, resize and rote text
  • crop: crop, rotate or flip the image

Privacy:
  • permissions: only "read and write on sd-card"
  • dependencies: no Google dependencies
  • sending user data: no user data will be collected and send to any other servers.
    "FOSS Image Editor" doesn't have permission to use the internet

To achieve this, I'm using several libraries (see in the About --> license dialog). I will only add new features, when it doesn't make to much trouble. In the best case there's a library to achieve the implementation of new features. So please test "FOSS Image Editor" and give your feedback. The Open Source Community is depending on users, who share their experience.

Changelog:

### v 0.3:
- new: custom crop
- new: hide app icon from launcher

### v 0.2:
- new: warning when overwriting original image
- new: changelog and license file on Github
- updated: help dialog
- improved: quality of saved pictures
- fix: remain original file extension

Regards
Gaukler Faun

Attachments

• Foss_ImageEditor_02.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 305
  • Foss_ImageEditor_03.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 564
Last edited:

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Screenshots

Here are some screenshots:

Attachments

• Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151017.jpg
    Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151017.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 959
  • Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151023.jpg
    Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151023.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 974
  • Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151033.jpg
    Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151033.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 961
  • Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151052.jpg
    Screenshot_FOSS_Bildbearbeitung_20180810-151052.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 891

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Thank you. This is indeed simple, clean, and very useful.

Would you consider supporting PNG ? Now they can be read and imported, but the output of the edited image is JPG.

Last edited:

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Warning - critical bug:
If you save a picture at the moment, it will be saved only in low resolution. So don't overwrite your original pictures. I'm on vacation so it will take a while until I can look into the issue. I updated the OP.

Some of my holiday pictures have now a size of ~ 150 kb. Therefore they had a size > 2 mb. :(

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本

With this latest version picking an image immediately crashes the application... ( The previous one doesn't. )

Code:
FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #1
Process: de.aosd.fossimageeditor, PID: 4351
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while executing doInBackground()
	at android.os.AsyncTask$3.done(AsyncTask.java:325)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.finishCompletion(FutureTask.java:354)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(FutureTask.java:223)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:242)
	at android.os.AsyncTask$SerialExecutor$1.run(AsyncTask.java:243)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1133)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:607)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:761)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Couldn't read row 0, col 0 from CursorWindow.  Make sure the Cursor is initialized correctly before accessing data from it.
	at android.database.CursorWindow.nativeGetLong(Native Method)
	at android.database.CursorWindow.getLong(CursorWindow.java:511)
	at android.database.CursorWindow.getInt(CursorWindow.java:578)
	at android.database.AbstractWindowedCursor.getInt(AbstractWindowedCursor.java:69)
	at android.database.CursorWrapper.getInt(CursorWrapper.java:122)
	at jp.co.cyberagent.android.gpuimage.GPUImage$LoadImageUriTask.getImageOrientation(GPUImage.java:526)
	at jp.co.cyberagent.android.gpuimage.GPUImage$LoadImageTask.rotateImage(GPUImage.java:695)
	at jp.co.cyberagent.android.gpuimage.GPUImage$LoadImageTask.loadResizedImage(GPUImage.java:623)
	at jp.co.cyberagent.android.gpuimage.GPUImage$LoadImageTask.doInBackground(GPUImage.java:589)
	at jp.co.cyberagent.android.gpuimage.GPUImage$LoadImageTask.doInBackground(GPUImage.java:565)
	at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:305)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:237)

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
With this latest version picking an image immediately crashes the application... ( The previous one doesn't. )
It seems, that the image you want to open isn't scanned by the media scanner. Here a few questions:
This happens always, when you try to load an image via the build in menu?
With every image?
Dies it also happen, when you "share" the same picture to the editor?
Does rebooting the phone solve the issue?

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
It seems, that the image you want to open isn't scanned by the media scanner. Here a few questions:
This happens always, when you try to load an image via the build in menu?
With every image?
Dies it also happen, when you "share" the same picture to the editor?
Does rebooting the phone solve the issue?

Thanks for the quick reply. So, answering every question.

# Yes, always, any image, jpg and png, any path, opening from the menu.
# Yes, also shared from another application, file manager or image viewer.

# Working with the smartphone and it's my internet connection right now with hotspot for several devices, so I can't restart it. I triggered just a media provider restart if that was the purpose of your question, but did not change anything.

Edit : There's one one way it will not crash. If I pick using Android's default file picker ( the one part of the OS, DocumentsUI ), then it works.

Edit 2 : It works with Ghost Commander, too. So I guess it works depending on the application. Problems with FX file manager for instance and Simple Mobile's Gallery.

Last edited:

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Thanks for the quick reply. So, answering every question.

# Yes, always, any image, jpg and png, any path, opening from the menu.
# Yes, also shared from another application, file manager or image viewer.

# Working with the smartphone and it's my internet connection right now with hotspot for several devices, so I can't restart it. I triggered just a media provider restart if that was the purpose of your question, but did not change anything.

Edit : There's one one way it will not crash. If I pick using Android's default file picker ( the one part of the OS, DocumentsUI ), then it works.

Edit 2 : It works with Ghost Commander, too. So I guess it works depending on the application. Problems with FX file manager for instance and Simple Mobile's Gallery.
That's strange I've no of this issues on my side. I also use Simple Mobile's Gallery. I'm on OREO.

Is anyone else facing this issue?

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
That's strange I've no of this issues on my side. I also use Simple Mobile's Gallery. I'm on OREO.

When sharing from Simple Mobile's Gallery ( any image, any path ) there is no crash but I always get a 'Could not load image' error in the editor. In the log I only see this :

Code:
System.err
at de.aosd.fossimageeditor.MainActivity.handleImage(MainActivity.java:367)

... I tried with Android 8.1 and 7.1.2. Anyway, the editor itself works fine. I wouldn't worry about supporting every possible file manager and gallery application out there.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Could 2:3 / 3:2 ratio be added to the crop options ?

Or alternatively / in addition, be able to specify pixels in width and height ourselves, maybe. With the free option is guesswork now.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Could 2:3 / 3:2 ratio be added to the crop options ?

Or alternatively / in addition, be able to specify pixels in width and height ourselves, maybe. With the free option is guesswork now.
At the moment I'm working on my browser. But the alternative suggestion sounds good. I'll implement it. At Monday school starts again (with a lot to do and the next vacation will be at Christmas). So if I forget it, please remind me.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
At the moment I'm working on my browser. But the alternative suggestion sounds good. I'll implement it. At Monday school starts again (with a lot to do and the next vacation will be at Christmas). So if I forget it, please remind me.

Yes, I follow progress on that too. Thank you for considering it ! I'll try to remember it myself, make a note somewhere to check around Christmas.

Edit, January 20th : I guess this last post became the reminder note.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Changes:
- new: custom crop option
- new: hide app from launcher
- minor fixes

Thank you for this version. I have been testing and see two issues consistently repeating.

# The cropped images are degraded, noticeably, in quality, compared to the originals. ( Is this the same bug that happened on an older version, maybe ? )

# The crop specifying values doesn't really respect the values given. I try, say a fixed 720 pixels cut for instance, but get 913 pixels ( or some other random number ) in the exported crop.

I've tested both jpg and png.

Tatsch

May 11, 2009
Hi, some questions:

Is It possible
- determine jpg compression rate when saving an an image?
- determine wether to keep/change/delete EXIF-data when saving an image?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T820 mit Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I want to introduce my new image editor bevore I will release it on F-Droid and Play Store. The app is fully Open Source. And needs no unnecessary permissions (only write on storage to save the edited pictures). It's lightweight (< 5 mb), clean, easy to use and nice looking.

Features:
    • adjustments: brightness, gamma, saturation, ...
    • filter: sepia, monochrome, invert, poster, comic, ...
    • add text: add, resize and rote text
    • crop: crop, rotate or flip the image

Privacy:
    • permissions: only "read and write on sd-card"
    • dependencies: no Google dependencies
    • sending user data: no user data will be collected and send to any other servers.
      "FOSS Image Editor" doesn't have permission to use the internet

To achieve this, I'm using several libraries (see in the About --> license dialog). I will only add new features, when it doesn't make to much trouble. In the best case there's a library to achieve the implementation of new features. So please test "FOSS Image Editor" and give your feedback. The Open Source Community is depending on users, who share their experience.

Changelog:

### v 0.3:
    - new: custom crop
    - new: hide app icon from launcher

### v 0.2:

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Screenshots

Here are some screenshots:
    Update v 0.2
    The saving issue is now solved. Thanks for your patience. Download in the first post.
    Changelog v 0.2:
    Thank you. This is indeed simple, clean, and very useful.

Would you consider supporting PNG ? Now they can be read and imported, but the output of the edited image is JPG.
    Thanks for the feedback. At the moment I'm on vacation, but I will look when I'm back home.:highfive:
    Warning - critical bug:
    If you save a picture at the moment, it will be saved only in low resolution. So don't overwrite your original pictures. I'm on vacation so it will take a while until I can look into the issue. I updated the OP.

Some of my holiday pictures have now a size of ~ 150 kb. Therefore they had a size > 2 mb. :(