[APP][6.0+] Fishpowered browser - less bull, more cat

Search This thread
Aug 28, 2020
fishpowered.net
After using this browser for some time, I find that the swipe center to switch tab to be a double edge sword. Sometimes, I have a hard time swiping through a carousel control or something similar. Browser ends up switching to the next tab.
Ahhhh I've spent so much time faffing about with this. Originally in early versions of Fishpowered you changed tabs by swiping from the edge, this was always my plan and worked great until Google released edge navigation gestures which forced me to get into full page gestures as I didn't want to have different gesture defaults for different users.

The problem with the full-page gestures is that webview has no hooks for in-page scrolling so it's very hard to know if the user is moving something in the page or trying to switch tabs. In current versions I am using javascript to listen for in-page scrolling but this doesn't work in iframes, is slow to hear back from the page, and some sites (e.g. swiping through images on twitter) have hardcoded things to move based on touch position which is impossible for the browser to detect by listening for scrolling.

For 1.6.0 I'm trialing a new method of taking snapshots where you touch down and moments after dragging your finger along the screen, if the screenshots are different then I can know something has probably moved in the page and block the user from changing tabs (or triggering pull down/up gestures). The problems with this new method are I can only take the snapshots quickly enough in Android 8.0+ (due to available API's), and it can be interfered with when anything moves on the page e.g. gifs, videos. It does work a lot better for sites with faked scrolling like twitter though and allows me to add the pull down/up gestures back in (along with some icons so it works much like Chrome now).

zo10000

Feb 15, 2012
Cluj
Apps & Games
You can do this by going to the history list, and long pressing the domain you want to clear. I think it's not perfect at clearing everything related with the site though (like web storage, caches etc) as it's not possible to be that granular with certain webview caches.
I tried that, but it only clears the history for that specific domain, not the cookies and cache. The thing that works is the last option in the list that clears everything, but that clears the whole history also.
I was thinking if you can implement an option similar to that one but only for a specific domain. Like, clear cookies and cache only for the website that you select by long pressing on it in history list.
Regards!

chiwawa10

Sep 19, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
There's one thing I noticed. In an empty tab, I can't pull up from the bottom bar to close the tab. This behavior happens only when a page is loaded on the tab.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
The reason that tool shows so few blocked results is because of how I am "blocking" most request types. I decided it would be a better approach to return empty responses to the requests rather than using conventional HTTP error response codes as a lot of sites sniff for blocked requests and then block you using the site, so maybe this approach helps with that (at least that tool couldn't sniff the majority of the ads I blocked 😊).

But yes the 1hosts does seem like a more comprehensive list. It does come with the risk of more sites being negatively affected but I'll trial it while working on 1.6.0 and see how it goes. I would rather have a smooth browsing experience with the odd ad than block all ads but break a load of websites. I'm gonna use the wildcard version as that's only 2.15MB. For reference the block lists I am using currently I obtain from https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
Thanks for the reply and the new blocklist. I'll wait and try it but stick with my present browser for now since it gives the option of adding as many custom lists as I want.

chiwawa10

Sep 19, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
The top two features that I'd like to see added is as below. I understand the author has his own priority/to-do list but this is just my wish list.
  1. better ads block (e.g. 1host, EasyList, allow customization of subscription list by adding own list)
  2. Add better scrolling (refer to image below)
samsung-internet-browser-tips-and-tricks-8_7c4a12eb7455b3a1ce1ef1cadcf29289.jpg

As always, thanks for the great work! Looking forward to v1.6.0 to be released soon.

[edit]
adding to my wish list.
  1. resource sniffer (for video downloading)
  2. better tab management (maybe a bigger card view?) for better one-handed operation. I find that the current card view is a little small

Last edited:
Reactions: Twotems
Aug 28, 2020
fishpowered.net
I've created a beta channel through play store, this is new to me so not sure how it works yet but I think you can download it from here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/fishpowered.best.browser (or maybe here)

Changelog:
## 1.6.0 BETA 1 (2021-05-??)

- [Feature] "Responsible browsing" mode
- [Feature] Added link gestures
- [Feature] Pull up at bottom of page gesture
- [Feature] Scroll to page top/bottom button/gesture bindings
- [Feature] All open tabs can now be saved to "save for later" list
- [Feature] New theme "GME"
- [Enhancement] Screenshot based scroll detection when detecting in-page gestures for Android 8.0+
- [Enhancement] Icons/animations for certain gestures
- [Enhancement] All nav button actions are now available on top/bottom pull gestures
- [Enhancement] Videos are now picked up in tab overview thumbnail snapshots + should be a bit faster also
- [Enhancement] Switched to more comprehensive adblock list and supported wildcard blocking rules
- [Enhancement] Unpinned faves will now disappear from fave homepage
- [Enhancement] Default gestures changed, edges now map to navigate back/forward, top and bottom drag now map to refresh
- [Bug] Fixed pinch zooming triggering edge gestures
- [Bug] Fixed clicking history link from the tab thumb list not clearing the address input
- [Bug] Fixed battery saver mode interrupting full screen video
- [Bug] Fixed bug where nav bar would be fully hidden except for 1px

Known new issues:
- Animated arrows on Fishpowered install/welcome page is problematic for the screenshot based gesture navigation it's trying to teach the user.
- Link gesture icon hints can be messed up on first gesture
- Tracking of time per session/day is buggy
- Translations not finalised

Known existing issues:
- Google translate doesn't always fire (refreshing the page is workaround that seems to fix it)
- IP addresses treated like searches
- Incognito mode only switches keyboard to incognito mode on the address input, can't get it to work in the browser itself
- Downloads from certain sites don't work properly
- Cookie handling switching between incognito and normal mode occasionally causes problems
- More..

Last edited:

zo10000

Feb 15, 2012
Cluj
Apps & Games
Hi
Only the stable version is accessible via playstore. The beta link returns the error that:

"App not available for this account​

Your account isn't currently eligible for this app's testing program."​

By the way, wouldn't be easier to upload the app here or on your website?

chiwawa10

Sep 19, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
I've created a beta channel through play store, this is new to me so not sure how it works yet but I think you can download it from here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/fishpowered.best.browser (or maybe here)

Changelog:

- [Enhancement] Screenshot based scroll detection when detecting in-page gestures for Android 8.0+
- [Enhancement] All nav button actions are now available on top/bottom pull gestures
- [Enhancement] Videos are now picked up in tab overview thumbnail snapshots + should be a bit faster also
- [Enhancement] Switched to more comprehensive adblock list and supported wildcard blocking rules
- [Enhancement] Default gestures changed, edges now map to navigate back/forward, top and bottom drag now map to refresh
- [Bug] Fixed clicking history link from the tab thumb list not clearing the address input

Known new issues:
- Animated arrows on Fishpowered install/welcome page is problematic for the screenshot based gesture navigation it's trying to teach the user.

Known existing issues:
- Google translate doesn't always fire (refreshing the page is workaround that seems to fix it)
- Incognito mode only switches keyboard to incognito mode on the address input, can't get it to work in the browser itself
- Cookie handling switching between incognito and normal mode occasionally causes problems
- More..

The link doesn't work. Not able to find the beta version in play store too. Anyway, great to see that there's so many things coming up in the next release :) hope we'll see it pushed to the stable channel soon.

chiwawa10

Sep 19, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, beta channel is working now. But the swipe at centre to switch tab is not smooth as before. Probably due to the new method. Other functions/features are good. Ad block sometimes are too restrictive. It'll be good if we can customize the filter list/rule.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex

Changelog:

Known new issues:

Known existing issues:
- More..
Nice to see the enhanced adblock. Unfortunately you need to add an anti-adblock list like Adguard Anti-adblock or f*ckf*ckadblock as some websites like phonearena.com give an adblock warning. The ability to add custom host lists would be the ideal solution.

zo10000

Feb 15, 2012
Cluj
Apps & Games
You can disable the adblock from the settings or use a 3rd party app like blokada to filter out ads and not see the adblock warning. But, I agree, it would be useful to have a whitelist in the adblock settings.

zo10000

Feb 15, 2012
Cluj
Apps & Games
Feedback for @fishpoweredbrowser, beta version.
1. The tags are not updating after editing. I. E. If you rename a tag in the favorites tab, it's not showing the new name only after restarting the app. Same thing with delete.
2. While changing from landscape to portrait the text size becomes very small.

Last edited:

chiwawa10

Sep 19, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
I'm wondering is this app still being actively developed? The beta version has been there for a few months now, and no update or pushed to stable channel. Author also not active in this thread anymore.

Giocarro

Dec 11, 2012
Ditto as above. Definitely a lovely app, but it has to be updated to stay alive.

Aug 28, 2020
fishpowered.net
Hi all, yep sorry, as you may have guessed I've stopped active development on Fishpowered.

Main reasons for this are:

• I've run into so many serious limitations with Android webview (which Fishpowered uses to display web pages) which is why things like incognito mode, state restoration, downloads, popup blocking either don't work at all or are basic/buggy/compromised.
  • User retention rates were REALLY bad (at least according to Google play) and short of rewriting large parts of the software I don't see any easy way to remedy that
  • This was my first android app, mistakes were made which are inevitable when using any new tech. These would be costly for me to fix
  • Day job of web development plus side project of app development meant I was spending 6 days a week sat at a desk starting at a screen.
That said, I am still using Fishpowered as my primary browser on my phone so I will try to fix any serious bugs that arise and occasionally I may find the motivation to add some feature I fancy but don't expect a lot ;)

Thanks
M

Reactions: Heeni and Giocarro

Vicalvi

Nov 27, 2016
@fishpoweredbrowser ,
Hi all, yep sorry, as you may have guessed I've stopped active development on Fishpowered.

Main reasons for this are:

• I've run into so many serious limitations with Android webview (which Fishpowered uses to display web pages) which is why things like incognito mode, state restoration, downloads, popup blocking either don't work at all or are basic/buggy/compromised.
  • User retention rates were REALLY bad (at least according to Google play) and short of rewriting large parts of the software I don't see any easy way to remedy that
  • This was my first android app, mistakes were made which are inevitable when using any new tech. These would be costly for me to fix
  • Day job of web development plus side project of app development meant I was spending 6 days a week sat at a desk starting at a screen.
That said, I am still using Fishpowered as my primary browser on my phone so I will try to fix any serious bugs that arise and occasionally I may find the motivation to add some feature I fancy but don't expect a lot ;)

Thanks
M
What's up buddy? First thanks for your browser, I've been using it for a while and it's my main browser. Could you upload the latest beta version and put the APK link here? Because by Play Store I'm not able to download, thank you.

Aug 28, 2020
fishpowered.net
@fishpoweredbrowser ,

What's up buddy? First thanks for your browser, I've been using it for a while and it's my main browser. Could you upload the latest beta version and put the APK link here? Because by Play Store I'm not able to download, thank you.

Beta 2 APK can be downloaded from here
I've also pushed it to the Play store beta channel.

Don't remember exactly what was new with beta 2 as I haven't worked on it in months, but I think I added some icons for back/forward edge navigation, I fixed a tag rename bug someone mentioned above, and updated the adblock list.

Reactions: Giocarro
Aug 28, 2020
fishpowered.net
Nice to see the enhanced adblock. Unfortunately you need to add an anti-adblock list like Adguard Anti-adblock or f*ckf*ckadblock as some websites like phonearena.com give an adblock warning. The ability to add custom host lists would be the ideal solution.
This is why I created the "Hide spam" tool so you can hide elements like cookie/adblock warnings. It's not perfect though because due to how people build websites these days, the structure is less static than it used to be and the rules can easily get broken when they update the site.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twitter-header-compressed.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm the developer behind Fishpowered browser. I've been working on this in my spare time for the past couple of years and am starting to feel more comfortable in sharing my progress!

Here are some reviews from the Play store to whet your appetite...

This is THE BROWSER! There is simply nothing like it out there! I'm a geek obsessed browser lover and I cannot believe it! It has it all! Speed, customisation, takes very little space! And the cats on top of all as if it wasn't enough with just being the best there is!

Epic!! Developers might have gone and made the best browser app for Android. Customisation options are great.

Im absolutely blown away how good this browser is, and its super user friendly. And I really love the gestures. Keep up the awesome work.

I've totally just over hyped it but I needed your attention. This is actually my first android app (I'm a web dev by trade) and my technical abilities don't match my ambition yet, but it's getting a little closer with every release!

Why should you care about Fishpowered browser?
    There are browser conventions that are widespread and probably shouldn't be e.g. UI layouts that require hand gymnastics, "bookmarks", browsing history etc. I've tried to re-design everything with a fresh pair of eyes.

What are my motivations?
    • Having a successful project
    • Building something that protects my privacy and lets me uninstall many other apps on my phone
    • Making a browser that gets rid of all the spammy cr*p you see on sites these days
    • Helping people out with internet addiction and responsible internet/phone usage. This is not something that's actually in the browser yet (I've been trying to build a solid base first) but is coming in the future and I have some interesting ideas for it.
    • Making a browser that works well with one hand
    • Making a browser that's good for language learning (I'm trying to learn Finnish)

How do I make money?
    I don't. There is zero ads/spyware/crapware and there never will be. If it ever gets really popular (maybe 100k+ active users? I dunno haha) I would monetise it by selling themes and accepting donations. Nothing that compromises anyone's privacy. But I only have a few hundred users so I guess that's not likely to ever happen.

Is it open source?
    Nope, not while it's still being developed. You can follow the development and see the code on Twitch though (channel: fishpowered)

How can I trust this?
    Good question which is unfortunately difficult to answer. As mentioned above I try to do a lot of coding on twitch. I also made a video where I download Fishpowered and the major anti-virus apps from the play store and ran through all the tests so you don't have to: www.twitch.tv/videos/877039346 If you watch the video you'll see why this would be incredibly hard for me to fake because of the infinite picture in picture.

Do not trust any download links outside of this post and Google play store as I have nothing to do with all those other APK sites.

What's bad with it/still left to do?
    It's built on the Android webview component which is essentially a wrapper for Chrome. This has the advantage that you get security updates instantly (whenever Chrome is updated) but also has some limitations as it wasn't really designed for being a full-on web browser. For example, I try to add a lot of context sensitive help e.g. if you select some metric/imperial unit in a recipe, it will convert the unit for you, but things like this won't work inside webpages that use iframes (e.g. Google AMP) because webviews can't view selections inside an iframe. Performance isn't amazing either, if you have an old device, you may struggle a bit.
    Lastly there are some other things that could obviously be added/improved but simply don't make sense for me to spend time on yet if they will take ages or are very niche features, it's just me working on it in my spare time.

Features

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

DOWNLOAD LATEST FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE (RECOMMENDED)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fishpowered.best.browser&hl=en

Official APK downloads (note: I have only provided downloads for Fishpowered on here and Google Play Store so use other sources at your own risk)
    APK download v1.6.0 (beta 2)
    APK download v1.5.2
    APK download v1.5.0
    APK download v1.4.3
    APK download v1.3.3

Changelog:

Known new issues:

Known existing issues:
    - More..
    Been using the browser as my phone default for about a month now and I really like it. However I have one request and I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

Can you use a better adblock list? Something like 1Hosts Pro which is only about 3.5mb but very powerful and incorporates most of Easylist and others. Or give users the option to add custom lists?

When I test on this page https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/src/adblock.html Fishpowered only blocks 11% of ads and trackers, whereas my other browsers block between 77% and 90%.

Thanks for the good work and responsiveness.
    Second this. There is definitely room for improvement on better ad-blocking and tracker blocking for this app.

After using this browser for some time, I find that the swipe center to switch tab to be a double edge sword. Sometimes, I have a hard time swiping through a carousel control or something similar. Browser ends up switching to the next tab.
    You can modify the swiping gesture in the settings. By default it's full screen but you can change it to work on the bottom half/ bottom quarter/ navigation bar only.
    Hope it helps.
    Cheers!
    Just found and installed this for the first time, and at first pass, I really like the experience. Great one-handed; pretty intuitive off the bat. Easy Reach Mode is a very nice accessibility touch, especially. Only complaint so far is that I didn't notice any additional electrolytes when setting my theme to WhatPlantsCrave 😏