Votes: 731 53.6%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 884 64.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

rami_l

Jan 28, 2015
Any ideas what to try..?
I am using "metal" application for facebook… but with Netguard i have no internet connection with aforementioned application.
From the log i get the idea that it might be related to dns server not accessible but i have root allowed.
I have also block list in use.
9eed0c86e4027a264b366610a6c0f07c.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Any ideas what to try..?
I am using "metal" application for facebook… but with Netguard i have no internet connection with aforementioned application.
From the log i get the idea that it might be related to dns server not accessible but i have root allowed.
I have also block list in use.
9eed0c86e4027a264b366610a6c0f07c.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
DNS requests are always allowed, unless listed in a hosts file.

Check the internet access requests of the application in the global access log as well to see what is going on.

Reactions: rami_l

mm343434

Sep 5, 2013
Problem installing Github.com updates

When I download an update from Github it won't install. It downloads and then when I install I get a notification saying "This package conflicts with an existing package with the same name." Can someone help? Thanks.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
When I download an update from Github it won't install. It downloads and then when I install I get a notification saying "This package conflicts with an existing package with the same name." Can someone help? Thanks.
All my NetGuard releases are signed with the same private key, even the Play store version. If there is a conflict, you are likely using a different signed version of NetGuard and you will need to uninstall it first to update to the official version. Be aware that NetGuard could be installed under a different user profile. Note that I only support my own builds.

mm343434

Sep 5, 2013
All my NetGuard releases are signed with the same private key, even the Play store version. If there is a conflict, you are likely using a different signed version of NetGuard and you will need to uninstall it first to update to the official version. Be aware that NetGuard could be installed under a different user profile. Note that I only support my own builds.
Can you please link me to the Github builds? I'm getting the download off the notification and I can't seem to find the link? Thanks.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Can you please link me to the Github builds? I'm getting the download off the notification and I can't seem to find the link? Thanks.
The opening post of this thread contains all what you need, but you don't need it, since you already downloaded the latest version by tapping on the update notification.

Reactions: mm343434

bullnabi.derik

Aug 26, 2016
seoul
Hello~ Thank for NetGuard
I'll try view packet data
so try,, try,, try,,

ip.c -- handle_ip() -- jobject objPacket = create_packet( args, version, protocol, flags, source, sport, dest, dport, '', uid, 0 );
data = '' ?
How to Convert uint8_t pkt to char ?
Good day~

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello~ Thank for NetGuard
I'll try view packet data
so try,, try,, try,,

ip.c -- handle_ip() -- jobject objPacket = create_packet( args, version, protocol, flags, source, sport, dest, dport, '', uid, 0 );
data = '' ?
How to Convert uint8_t pkt to char ?
Good day~
Please see the GitHub contributing section about self building. In short if you want to build/modify NetGuard yourself, it is assumed you know how to solve problems.

You can view packet data by using PCAP exports as well.

Linuxephus™

Aug 26, 2016
Troy
forum.pinguyos.com
Voted for all 4 options regarding Netguard usage.

After having found this application (which I had no ideal existed) via installing the Xda-developer's application, I had no real further need for a cracked version of Adguard or Onava Protect.

My thanks to the Developer and all those who contribute to the application's development. Including the Community as a whole pertaining to what I've learned here in the short time I've been here thus far.

That will be all.

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Yeah, I had trouble with this blocking ads in some apps. You could tell where they were coming from on the filter list, but when I hit block it took me to another page with a 0 at the top. I tried several filter lists and ads still managed to get through...I even purchased a few options to support the dev too. Hopefully, this will get figured out soon and it will be on par with adguard for ad blocking...though that isn't the primary purpose of this app.

Reactions: Linuxephus™

Linuxephus™

Aug 26, 2016
Troy
forum.pinguyos.com
Yeah, I had trouble with this blocking ads in some apps. You could tell where they were coming from on the filter list, but when I hit block it took me to another page with a 0 at the top. I tried several filter lists and ads still managed to get through...I even purchased a few options to support the dev too. Hopefully, this will get figured out soon and it will be on par with adguard for ad blocking...though that isn't the primary purpose of this app.

True, it's primary purpose doesn't revolve around solely being an Adblocker, yet it does a remarkable job of even that for a project that has made leaps and bounds from just last year.

And as you stated, 'tis good enough for me as well.

The rest merely comes with time.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009

If you have certain hosts getting through, this usually means you need to add them to your block list. One of the biggest limitations of any solution is the database of what to block.

I don't know how alternative apps work, but I don't think they do any more than NetGuard. With NetGuard you can block both hosts and IPs - that's pretty powerful, and more than a hosts file will let you do!

If you want to block a domain, ensure it is in your hosts file. You can also choose to block it in the per app host rules (tap it carefully and hit block)

To block an IP, you need to use the per app rules to set the IP as blocked. Note that by default this shows reverse DNS entries for each IP, which will often help you pick the right host to block.

In short, NetGuard should give you at least as much control as any other no root firewall or ad blocker. I feel it gives quite a lot more. But you need to carefully tune it sometimes. An interesting project for anyone keen would be to work on building some improved hosts files. I'm sure that's where any loose ads are entering. Another small patch someone new and wanting to try development could try would be to append multiple hosts files - it won't take long to do, but would let you mix together several hosts files from several URLs. I'm sure a pull request would be happily received by m66b.

Licaon_Kter

Jun 9, 2015
Another small patch someone new and wanting to try development could try would be to append multiple hosts files - it won't take long to do, but would let you mix together several hosts files from several URLs.
That's basically a (long) one liner in Termux:
Code:
cat list1.txt list2.txt listX.txt | grep -v "^#" | sort | uniq > combo.txt

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
That's basically a (long) one liner in Termux:

Indeed. That's how I do it personally. But it might be nice for end users to throw it into a button. It seems many users have issues with some hosts not being block, and having a union of several hosts files might help them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see that setting in Network Settings, unless the Lockdown Wi-Fi setting actually allows LAN access over the WiFi?
    You must first enable Subnet routing to be able to enable LAN access. Both settings are in the Network settings.
    Hi Marcel,

I've a problem with the import of a hosts file.
    The app seems to not accept rows with more than one alias inside.

If there is only one site per line, it works fine.
    Es:
    0.0.0.0 n2019cov.000webhostapp.com

This is an example of not working rows:
    0.0.0.0 n2019cov.000webhostapp.com webmail-who-int.000webhostapp.com 010sec.com 01mspmd5yalky8.com 0byv9mgbn0.com ns6.0pendns.org dns.0pengl.com ios.0pengl.com 0x4fc271.tk
    0.0.0.0 login.yahoo.com.0x4fc271.tk 0xf4a5.tk user-id.0xf4a5.tk change-password.yahoo.user-id.0xf4a5.tk login.yahoo.user-id.0xf4a5.tk 0xf4a54cf56.tk login.yahoo.user-id.0xf4a54cf56.tk 12724.xyz 15438.xyz

It would be nice if it could accept multi-aliased lines as well.

Thanks very much!
    Kira

I will put this on my to do list, but it will be low priority.
    Hello Marcel, I have been seeing issues with One UI 3.1 (Android 11) in conjunction with NetGuard 2.295. Not sure if it has to do with NetGuard, Android, or how NetGuard runs on Android. Please take a look at the adb logs attached.

In particular, two extra lines are spammed several times per second, from the package
    com.google.android.permissioncontroller (uid 10266 in this case).

Code:
    04-01 11:55:44.030   614  1836 E audit   : avc:  denied  { find } for pid=29989 uid=10266 name=tethering scontext=u:r:permissioncontroller_app:s0:c10,c257,c512,c768 tcontext=u:object_r:tethering_service:s0 tclass=service_manager permissive=0
    04-01 11:55:44.030   614  1836 I servicemanager: tethering : getService has failed, permission denied.

Once the firewall is enabled, these lines in the log do not stop spamming even if the firewall is disabled afterwards.

I have also seen this in One UI 2.1 (Android 10), as well as Google's Android 11 on a Pixel 3.
    Do you know what causes this?
    This is not directly related to NetGuard.
    Hi all,

Do you think that we can trust Android functionality allowing us to forbid directly Wi-Fi and Data connections for each application in settings ?

Can we compare it with NetGuard ? It seems to be similar but can we trust Android as an outgoing firewall ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Standard Android doesn't have this.

I can't say if it is reliable because I don't know how it works.
    Did you enable filtering in the advanced settings.

Please see also this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq54
    Many thanks for the info, after enabling filtering, the SOCKS5 proxy options got enabled.
    In fact I had read that link before but didn't find the "enable filtering" option mentioned there,

Thanks again.

Also another detail that's not mentioned is do I need to enable VPN mode in Orbot after opening it and pressing the start button, or just leave it in "non vpn" mode?

I was running with only Orbot in VPN mode since I couldn't get Netguard to use the SOCKS5 options.
    Now I would use it with Netguard (Socks5 Proxy) + Orbot (listening on 9050)

in this mode will all system requests go thru Tor?
    Are there any chances of an IP or DNS leak?

Can I set the Android VPN setting to Netguard and also there is another setting for "VPN always on"?
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    I have just released beta version 2.268

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version adds a setting for a domain name to use to validate the internet connection. The default is www.google.com. You could for example change this into www.opendns.com.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone