Votes: 829 55.4%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 965 64.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
It is a relatively minor annoyance but it only started about a month or two ago which is why I'm asking. I'm trying to figure out why the change in behavior. Could it be a NetGuard setting I recently changed and forgot about? Is there a setting I could change that would stop it?
The only thing I can think of is the VPN handover setting.

Reactions: maybeme2

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010
Just a question for my understanding.
When an app in Netguard is configured to not use the rules and conditions from Netguard, will Netguard still contact the DNS server settings set up in Netguard for the apps URL queries or will it use the DNS settings from the wifi/mobile network/Android settings for this?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Just a question for my understanding.
When an app in Netguard is configured to not use the rules and conditions from Netguard, will Netguard still contact the DNS server settings set up in Netguard for the apps URL queries or will it use the DNS settings from the wifi/mobile network/Android settings for this?
In this configuration no traffic of the app will flow through NetGuard, also not DNS requests.

Reactions: ouzowtf

Voidity

Oct 2, 2017
It looks like the traffic is not routed through NetGuard anymore, possibly because NetGuard was killed. You can check the global access log to see what traffic flows through NetGuard.
I've uninstalled my Netguard (Play Store version) and installed the GitHub one and setup everything and... the problem disappeared, so far. I think the problem has something to do with the upgrade of my Android from Oreo to Pie. Maybe when upgrading to Pie with Netguard already installed, some default settings in Pie interfered with Netguard.

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice.

Ivanolamundo

Nov 21, 2019
Blocking apps to mobile data(SIM internet) but possibly allowing when notified

Hi,
I need to be notified and resquested the acess everytime when an app blocked to mobile data(SIM net) by default tries to connect to mobile data.

So I can allow the acess to mobile data if I want at that momment and I can know when I had a wifi disconection.

Is possible? What I have to buy and do?

Thanks in advance.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,
I need to be notified and resquested the acess everytime when an app blocked to mobile data(SIM net) by default tries to connect to mobile data.

So I can allow the acess to mobile data if I want at that momment and I can know when I had a wifi disconection.

Is possible? What I have to buy and do?

Thanks in advance.
This is not possible with NetGuard.

NetGuard will notify you for each access only once. A typical Android device makes lots of connections and it would be unmanageable if you were notified of each and every connection.

Ivanolamundo

Nov 21, 2019
This is not possible with NetGuard.

NetGuard will notify you for each access only once. A typical Android device makes lots of connections and it would be unmanageable if you were notified of each and every connection.

That would be pleasant, at least between every wifi disconection, while the app is in foreground(being used by me) I receive the alert of mobile data acess attemp, an authorization would last till next wifi connection. Thanks mr developah xd.

Ivanolamundo

Nov 21, 2019
Another suggestion

Would be nice to have a selected group of my fav apps in the main menu to quickly disable connections. Plus the option to disable all group at same time.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I might be mistaken... Seems useful to me, ppl oftenly say to me wasted their limited mobile data when losing wifi unnoticed. Mobile data expensive Brazil.
This feature is rarely asked for and besides that the general support for this project does not justify adding feature like this. Moreover, adding features will complicate the usage and will result in increasing the number of support questions, of which I already get more than enough.

And another thing: Brazilians leave lots of unfair and unreasonable reviews, so many that NetGuard was not available in the Play store for a while.

dirka12345

Dec 30, 2018
Would be nice to have a selected group of my fav apps in the main menu to quickly disable connections. Plus the option to disable all group at same time.

You could use lockdown mode i.e. allow only those really necessary apps you need on mobile and switch to lockdown when needed (it will block everything expect for whitelisted in this mode), I use it the same way.

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9

You could use lockdown mode i.e. allow only those really necessary apps you need on mobile and switch to lockdown when needed (it will block everything expect for whitelisted in this mode), I use it the same way.

I use the same workaround.

Sent from my STF-L09 using XDA Labs

Ikearat

Dec 30, 2010
There is a number shown in the app list which is tied to the allowed connections for the app.
Would it be useful to have a second number showing the not-allowed and a third number showing the number of connection url's not decided?
I would like to see the number of not decided URL's.
Also, sort apps on recent activity would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: lukval

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There is a number shown in the app list which is tied to the allowed connections for the app.
Would it be useful to have a second number showing the not-allowed and a third number showing the number of connection url's not decided?
I would like to see the number of not decided URL's.
Also, sort apps on recent activity would be great.
I have no plans to add this, sorry.

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
Hello, all the time I have NG with Lockdown mode enabled. If I found some traffic for not allowed app (not allowed in lockdown + block rule), is this a proof of connection leak?

Attachments

• IMG_1_CFG.jpg
    IMG_1_CFG.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_2_CNT.jpg
    IMG_2_CNT.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 475

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hello, all the time I have NG with Lockdown mode enabled. If I found some traffic for not allowed app (not allowed in lockdown + block rule), is this a proof of connection leak?

Thanks to Marcel, NetGuard makes its best effort but this app is not a magician, particulary without root permissions.

It's a great mitigation of the leak data risk, not a zero risk solution.

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: z99vwEfK

Ikearat

Dec 30, 2010

I have seen this activity on my device as well.
From another M66B reply, the check-marks and x-marks are shown when there is no Internet connection. Traffic is allowed while there is no Internet connection.
In one of your images, I think I can make-out what I think is your WiFi showing no Internet connection.

Ok, before you go after me hear me out...
I too have asked about why NetGuard allows traffic when there is no Internet connection.
I feel it should not however, as I have zero experience writing Android applications, and Marcel has proven himself clearly to me that his intents are good I have decided to take his word that the "allowed" traffic does not constitute a "leak".
This statement does not imply that NetGuard is flawless, only that the observed condition has been reported and the reply was satisfactory (to me).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi M6GB, It's a great app Netguard :love:❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤎🤍💗
    there is another one CIAFirewall too, they look and function identically seems, are they both same?
    There are many clones of NetGuard.
    Generally, always ask yourself why somebody would want to clone (or crack) an app before using a clone.
    Mostly, there isn't a good reason, but instead a bad reason ...
    Hi Marcel, so sorry to hear about your mom and best wishes to her. Take all the time off you need. I've used Netguard for years, donated twice and consider it an essential tool for maintaining privacy. Please ignore the 1-star whining from people who didn't read the FAQ and/or don't understand what Netguard is meant to do. There really is a (usually) silent minority of us who appreciate your work.
    you can use Nebulo (fdroid) for DoH/DoT + Netguard, more info here
    I'm playing around with my Android watch running on Wear OS. Some of my phone apps run quite well on my watch, even if they aren't made for Wear OS.

As a long time Netguard user, I wanted to see if it would work on my Android Watch too. It installed and opens fine, and I have been able to configure the Settings too. But I'm unable to activate it, as the button is not accessible:

View attachment 5641585

Can you provide an alternative way to enable/ activate Netguard, in addition to its current position?

View attachment 5641587

Thanks. 😍😍
    I am sorry, but the app is supported on phones and tablets only. I tried to support it for TVs in the past, but without having a suitable test device myself this appeared to be very time consuming and in the end impossible.

Send me a WearOS device and I will see what I can do ...
    Is it correct the NetGuard will not work if I have Private DNS enabled on my phone (Android 12)?
    See here.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.