• Increasing privacy

Votes: 713 53.2%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 873 65.1%

• Total voters

30jp

Sep 25, 2020
Hi,
Netguard (block wifi and mobile) with Sony xz2 compact and LineageOS 17.1, root, Magisk, Busybox, Magisk hide props config, is working perfect. No problem

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
see: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/1706

unfortunately, ALL newer android 8 (and newer) custom roms (lineageos, crdroid, etc) that I (and others) have tried seem to share this issue. Please reveal any Android 8+ custom rom for Galaxy s5 that is compatible with Netguard.

This is a HUGE deal for thousands of folks who can't use Netguard (which is VERY important security tool) on Android 8 or newer custom roms. Lineageos and everyone building on it are very popular and used by a huge audiennce. Samsung and most other phone hardware vendors refuse to support older hardware like the s5 and Note 4 firmware upgrades and thus expose all those users to serious security risks and being denied very popular and useful app access (like Airbnb, United, Chase, etc) on Goggle Play (recently not allowed if less than Android 7) and not providing any real choice in replacement hardware with the extremely important and planet friendly feature of user replaceable batteries, there is a very large group of folks who must rely upon custom roms.

We are looking for any hints on who to get involved in resolving this critical issue. Perhaps there is an issue with Always On introduced in Android 8?

Hope this helps.
This is a problem of the base ROM for your device and can't be fixed by changes in NetGuard.

Your ROM developer needs to fix this.

Woelkchen80

Jul 21, 2020
I have a really strange problem. One app only works when I am surfing the wifi. But if I am on the mobile network, it does not work, although it has the permission for it. I really don't understand what the problem is. I have the pro version of netguard.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have a really strange problem. One app only works when I am surfing the wifi. But if I am on the mobile network, it does not work, although it has the permission for it. I really don't understand what the problem is. I have the pro version of netguard.
If mobile network is allowed in NetGuard, the problem might be with the app itself.

Cpxinoxs

Dec 5, 2020
This kind of application is very few on the internet. NetGuard is one of the best. I truly respect your efforts, so I will not suggest. Please let us take advantage of more opportunities for free. Get better quality filters paid.Otherwise, they prefer the free one and you will develop more slowly. Netguard greats app.;)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This kind of application is very few on the internet. NetGuard is one of the best. I truly respect your efforts, so I will not suggest. Please let us take advantage of more opportunities for free. Get better quality filters paid.Otherwise, they prefer the free one and you will develop more slowly. Netguard greats app.;)
You can always support the project with a donation, please see here:

Woelkchen80

Jul 21, 2020
If mobile network is allowed in NetGuard, the problem might be with the app itself.
Hm, when I turn off netguard, it works again. I have also tried reinstalling the app. Then it worked for a short time and then not again. I also had the impression that other things are blocked on the road than in the wifi. But I would have to check that again. Is also rather a feeling

v0bit

Feb 5, 2021
Hi !

First of all, thank you a lot for this magnificent app. I find it really awesome to be able to use one app to:
- Restrict apps to access internet
- Use a custom DNS
- Use a SOCKS tunnel
(wouldn't it work, it wouldn't be possible without rooting so definitely THE must-have app in my case)

I was wondering if it was imaginable to use a domain name for the SOCKS tunnel, as many VPN providers balance load across different IPs behind a domain name, therefore also increasing anonymity. Of course, it means we have to think when this resolution occurs (on toggle?) , and whether it is applied on custom DNS setting or not.

Just a small idea from an already very happy user ;-) if ever anybody is interested.

PS: I made some research to do it myself, I guess a first POC could be about using a InetAddress.getByName there: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/bl.../faircode/netguard/ServiceSinkhole.java#L1463

But I had trouble with setting the development environment. To be continued.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi !

First of all, thank you a lot for this magnificent app. I find it really awesome to be able to use one app to:
- Restrict apps to access internet
- Use a custom DNS
- Use a SOCKS tunnel
(wouldn't it work, it wouldn't be possible without rooting so definitely THE must-have app in my case)

I was wondering if it was imaginable to use a domain name for the SOCKS tunnel, as many VPN providers balance load across different IPs behind a domain name, therefore also increasing anonymity. Of course, it means we have to think when this resolution occurs (on toggle?) , and whether it is applied on custom DNS setting or not.

Just a small idea from an already very happy user ;-) if ever anybody is interested.

PS: I made some research to do it myself, I guess a first POC could be about using a InetAddress.getByName there: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/bl.../faircode/netguard/ServiceSinkhole.java#L1463

But I had trouble with setting the development environment. To be continued.
SOCKS5 doesn't encrypted traffic and should therefore not be used to connect to a remote server. This is also why there is not host name support, apart from the chick/egg problem of resolving the domain name in the first place.

SOCKS5 support is for on device chaining only.

v0bit

Feb 5, 2021
SOCKS5 doesn't encrypted traffic and should therefore not be used to connect to a remote server. This is also why there is not host name support, apart from the chick/egg problem of resolving the domain name in the first place.

SOCKS5 support is for on device chaining only.
That's right, problem solved then ! I'm most likely going through SSH+VPN the day I need it. SOCKS alone should be good enough most of the time, but I understand that hostname support would indeed not be the killer feature I thought it would be.

Thank you !

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Please see here about a likely reason why MMS doesn't work:

Filtering traffic will allow you to block the individual connections of an app instead of all connections of an app.
Filtering traffic is indeed a very effective way to handle apps. Unfortunately I can not send MMS when Filter Traffic is enabled. The only workaround I found is to install Karma Firewall with everything blocked except messaging and when I need to send an MMS I enable KF. This of course disables NetGuard but everything is blocked and when the MMS is send I enable NG which in turn disables KF and nothing has left my phone that should not. It all works quite smooth but a wee elaborate.