Votes: 291 21.6%
  • Increasing privacy

Votes: 717 53.3%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 876 65.1%

• Total voters

jawz101

Jun 4, 2009
How does the private dns work? Is it if I configure private DNS in regular Android, disable Internet filtering in NetGuard, then it just automatically routes through Android Private DNS but still gives me the ability to restrict per app network usage?

That may be the perfect setup. If I use NextDNS as my Android Private DNS provider I could use the Play Store version of NetGuard and still get ad blocking.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
How does the private dns work? Is it if I configure private DNS in regular Android, disable Internet filtering in NetGuard, then it just automatically routes through Android Private DNS but still gives me the ability to restrict per app network usage?

That may be the perfect setup. If I use NextDNS as my Android Private DNS provider I could use the Play Store version of NetGuard and still get ad blocking.
Yes, this is possible with the latest version.

jawz101

Jun 4, 2009
Yes, this is possible with the latest version.
Thanks. It sounded like that's how it would work.

You may make an pop-up when you check the Internet filtering which says "Internet filtering overrides Android Private DNS.". That may make it easy to notice the change.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks. It sounded like that's how it would work.

You may make an pop-up when you check the Internet filtering which says "Internet filtering overrides Android Private DNS.". That may make it easy to notice the change.
Let's first see if this works properly.

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Please make sure you install the GitHub version. Ad blocking, etc is not available in the Play store version.
It's GitHub version. I never used Play Store.
Edit: I restored a GitHub version but apparently that's not good enough. I downloaded the GitHub version again and installed and now everything is back.

Last edited:

LoveWins

Feb 25, 2021
Hello, Supporting user here, been using NetGuard for over a year and it's a perfect tool for controlling network access and filtering ads.

Something I've been noticing, when Filter Traffic is enabled, my Google Voice notifications seem to be delayed quite a bit, sometimes for 30 minutes for example. If I have a incoming message pending, I'll disable Filter Traffic and Voice will then immediately show the notification.

The filter is a necessity for ad blocking but I don't like the fact that my notifications are delayed. Is three a workaround for this issue?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello, Supporting user here, been using NetGuard for over a year and it's a perfect tool for controlling network access and filtering ads.

Something I've been noticing, when Filter Traffic is enabled, my Google Voice notifications seem to be delayed quite a bit, sometimes for 30 minutes for example. If I have a incoming message pending, I'll disable Filter Traffic and Voice will then immediately show the notification.

The filter is a necessity for ad blocking but I don't like the fact that my notifications are delayed. Is three a workaround for this issue?
Please make sure Google Play services isn't blocked, also not by an entry in the hosts file.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I've confirmed Google Play services is not blocked. I download the hosts file from https://netguard.me/hosts and have not modified it in any way. I assume that file does not have it blocked. Could it be anything else?
The hosts file is not managed by me:

Try to disable ad blocking.

halilb1978

Apr 7, 2018
@M66B Can you share your settings as an exported file here? For the ones who use stock rom ( no root). We just need push notifications,updates and sync work. I guess many people do not know what to block safely, must block or must not block things. Or it will be nice to see your block list as screen shots. Thank you.

DrummerMuppet

Jan 3, 2012
Caracas
@M66B Can you share your settings as an exported file here? For the ones who use stock rom ( no root). We just need push notifications,updates and sync work. I guess many people do not know what to block safely, must block or must not block things. Or it will be nice to see your block list as screen shots. Thank you.
As a rule of thumb: avoid blocking system apps unless you know what you're doing.

Reactions: lukval and Ines*

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Which apps I use is personal.

Reactions: halilb1978

halilb1978

Apr 7, 2018
Which apps I use is personal.
I only use google playstore, framework and services. All other google apps,options are removed,disabled,blocked. Everthing works fine. I blocked many apps and service packs on Netguard. 318 allowed and 107 blocked on Netguard. Traffic filter on. I wanted to learn what more i can block safely from system services. Try and learn???

LoveWins

Feb 25, 2021
The hosts file is not managed by me:

Try to disable ad blocking.
I think that was my original inquiry if I'm understanding NetGuard options correctly, "Filter Traffic" is ad blocking?
When Filter Traffic is disabled notifications are instantaneous, with Filter Traffic enabled, notifications are delayed.

Hope I'm explaining this correctly.

DrummerMuppet

Jan 3, 2012
Caracas
Trying to learn more :)
I only use google playstore, framework and services. All other google apps,options are removed,disabled,blocked. Everthing works fine. (...) I wanted to learn what more i can block safely from system services. Try and learn???
There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn how stuff works. That's perfectly fine. You can start by checking the FAQ section to know what can be blocked and what should be left alone (there are at least 3 FAQs that address this in one way or another.)

You could also just block things at random / everything, see what breaks and then undo whatever you did to get things working again. "Try and learn" as you said, that's a completely valid strategy too.

We can't tell you exactly what to block because we don't know how you use your phone, what your goal is (is it more privacy? Experimentation? Reduce data usage?), nor which apps you have installed on it.

halilb1978

Apr 7, 2018
There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn how stuff works. That's perfectly fine. You can start by checking the FAQ section to know what can be blocked and what should be left alone (there are at least 3 FAQs that address this in one way or another.)

You could also just block things at random / everything, see what breaks and then undo whatever you did to get things working again. "Try and learn" as you said, that's a completely valid strategy too.

We can't tell you exactly what to block because we don't know how you use your phone, what your goal is (is it more privacy? Experimentation? Reduce data usage?), nor which apps you have installed on it.
I do not use lot apps. I only need notifications and updates work. Telegram,Signal,Outlook,Excell,Twitter,Bixby Routines,Newpipe,Netguard,Samsung İnternet Browser,Duckduckgo,F-droid,Proton Vpn, Torrent Client,Google Play Store,Galaxy Store. If theses notifications and updates work stabil, i do not need more. I want to have more battery time.i even deleted my facebook,instagram and whatsapp accounts after their privacy update.