Votes: 731 53.6%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 884 64.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
Yeah, T-Mobile is constantly trying to push me to install their mobile app, too. I don't know what else to tell you about your mobile data loss. I had the same problem using a stock ROM, but my new phone uses Lineage OS and doesn't have that problem.

My guess is it's some app that you have allowed internet access that is doing something it's not supposed to. Long time ago I had a caller ID app that I figured out was sending SMS messages that were not saved in my messaging app. It was a sneaky way for it to send data back home.

You might also try blocking Google Chrome and also the stand-alone Google app as some apps bypass firewalls & use those apps to send data. Oh, also block background data for everything you can, including Google Play, as Play can send tons of background data back home that doesn't register on your phone's data usage.

Reactions: MeansWell

MeansWell

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, thanks! I have all that blocked. There are not many apps that I have given NetGuard permission to go to the Internet. Mostly F-Droid stuff. The problem is that my phone and T-Mobile disagree on how much data is getting used.

Reactions: EEngineer

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
Well then I'd look into one of those apps that is supposed to monitor your data usage. I can't recommend one, but if you find one that works & uncovers the data leakage please let me know! :)

MeansWell

Jul 30, 2020
Well, NetGuard itself can sort of measure data, but I haven't figured out how to go about it yet. I don't know if it would be suitable. That was one of the reasons I originally post this issue here. Though mostly to ask if there is a way NetGuard could either be altering the data usage reported. Or if it could help find the problem.

But, yeah, I will update in this thread if I find a suitable monitoring app. Anyone?

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
You must first enable Subnet routing to be able to enable LAN access. Both settings are in the Network settings.
I enabled Subnet Routing and then enabled Lockdown WiFi and Lockdown Mobile. Apps still access the internet. I also enabled Enable LAN access & apps still go out to the internet.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
Well, NetGuard itself can sort of measure data, but I haven't figured out how to go about it yet. I don't know if it would be suitable. That was one of the reasons I originally post this issue here. Though mostly to ask if there is a way NetGuard could either be altering the data usage reported. Or if it could help find the problem.

But, yeah, I will update in this thread if I find a suitable monitoring app. Anyone?

This isn't a NetGuard issue, but it happened on my rooted LG G5 with AFWall+. I blocked an Android system service in AFWall+. It's one of those Android services that includes 27 additional services including com.qtfi.service.colorservice, Android system, LGDoze settings, and the important com.qualcomm.timeservice.

With that Android service blocked my phone was getting LAN access to files, but I discovered my internet WiFi was blocked and instead was using cellular data! When I unblocked that service my battery usage improved & my cell data usage decreased. You should check in NetGuard and see if you have a similar service blocked, and unblock it.

Keep in mind I have a rooted phone running Lineage OS 14.1 with AFWall+, so this might not be directly applicable to your situation but at least it might give you some hints as to where to look.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I enabled Subnet Routing and then enabled Lockdown WiFi and Lockdown Mobile. Apps still access the internet. I also enabled Enable LAN access & apps still go out to the internet.
Did you also engage lockdown mode via the three dots menu of the start screen?

MeansWell

Jul 30, 2020
This isn't a NetGuard issue, but it happened on my rooted LG G5 with AFWall+. I blocked an Android system service in AFWall+. It's one of those Android services that includes 27 additional services including com.qtfi.service.colorservice, Android system, LGDoze settings, and the important com.qualcomm.timeservice.

With that Android service blocked my phone was getting LAN access to files, but I discovered my internet WiFi was blocked and instead was using cellular data! When I unblocked that service my battery usage improved & my cell data usage decreased. You should check in NetGuard and see if you have a similar service blocked, and unblock it.

Keep in mind I have a rooted phone running Lineage OS 14.1 with AFWall+, so this might not be directly applicable to your situation but at least it might give you some hints as to where to look.
You may be on to something (and thanks again!). Basically, I have NetGuard blocking cell data for almost everything it can see, system and user app, but I have a lot of system stuff allowed in WiFi (I was experimenting with blocking system apps, but couldn't find any guides on what is safe to block). Anyway, for a few months I have been using WiFi a lot less than normal. So MAYBE Android got impatient and got online secretly with the cell data (bypassing NetGuard and the built-in phone data measuring software) so Android could... uh, do its non-transparent Android stuff.

Questions (Marcel? Anyone?):
1) Can system cell data, or ANY data, get passed NetGuard?
2) Could this theoretical cell data also bypass the built-in phone data measuring software?
3) Can anyone give me any kind of help blocking Android systemic data collection?

vinicioh23

Mar 22, 2015
Anyone with a pixel 5 that would like to share their settings with me? Not sure what I need to unblock that is making my text and other notifications not wake up my phone.

VirtualWaver

Jun 14, 2011
London

Hi Marcel,

First of all, a big Thank You for this amazing product.

I own both NetGuard and FairMail and both are amazing.

I have 1 question and 1 feature request please:

Question: If we block Internet access for a Device Admin app in NetGuard, will that app still be able to connect to Internet and bypass NetGuard?

Feature request: Is it possible to integrate OpenVPN/WireGuard protocols inside NetGuard so that we could import OpenVPN files and/or configure OpenVPN/WireGuard and use NetGuard as a VPN service too? Many VPN providers support standalone OpenVPN/WireGuard configuration. That would be just phenomenal and will sort out both security and privacy issues. I know there is a SOCKS5 proxy but SOCKS5 is not secure and doesn't work with most of the providers.

You can create this as an additional PRO feature and take donations for it seperately. I will happily contribute money to this and sure many other users will do the same.

Thanks!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel,

First of all, a big Thank You for this amazing product.

I own both NetGuard and FairMail and both are amazing.

I have 1 question and 1 feature request please:

Question: If we block Internet access for a Device Admin app in NetGuard, will that app still be able to connect to Internet and bypass NetGuard?

Feature request: Is it possible to integrate OpenVPN/WireGuard protocols inside NetGuard so that we could import OpenVPN files and/or configure OpenVPN/WireGuard and use NetGuard as a VPN service too? Many VPN providers support standalone OpenVPN/WireGuard configuration. That would be just phenomenal and will sort out both security and privacy issues. I know there is a SOCKS5 proxy but SOCKS5 is not secure and doesn't work with most of the providers.

You can create this as an additional PRO feature and take donations for it seperately. I will happily contribute money to this and sure many other users will do the same.

Thanks!
If an app is a device admin app doesn't matter for NetGuard.

NetGuard will keep being maintained and supported, but giving the many rather disappointing Play store reviews I don't have plans for new features.

VirtualWaver

Jun 14, 2011
London
If an app is a device admin app doesn't matter for NetGuard.

NetGuard will keep being maintained and supported, but giving the many rather disappointing Play store reviews I don't have plans for new features.

I totally understand you, but the Play Store is full of noobs who have no clue what most apps are about. Please do not pay attention to haters and noobs. You are doing a fantastic job and this app is the best non rooted firewall on the market. We really need you to carry on!

I am really willing to make extra donations for the VPN feature. I am sure many people in this forum will want it. I am ready to open a poll in this forum and github to get votes for this feature even if we will have to make an extra donation for it. Please, make this happen.

As for Admin Apps - I noticed an interesting thing. I have a Package Disabler Pro installed - not sure if you are familiar with it, but its an app to remove bloatware. It requires Device Admin apps and also creates a profile in the cloud.

When we do something in the cloud (for example, disable a package) the phone beeps, which means its getting the command from the cloud.

I disabled all the traffic for Package Disabler via NetGuard and whilst it couldn't disable a package from the cloud, the phone still beeped when I processed a command from the cloud. So I was worried maybe its still sending packages being a Device Admin application and that it was still able to find my phone and make it beep even though the software is disabled in Netguard.

Maybe some other module is responsible receiving the beep command and that module is not disabled in Netguard.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I totally understand you, but the Play Store is full of noobs who have no clue what most apps are about. Please do not pay attention to haters and noobs. You are doing a fantastic job and this app is the best non rooted firewall on the market. We really need you to carry on!

I am really willing to make extra donations for the VPN feature. I am sure many people in this forum will want it. I am ready to open a poll in this forum and github to get votes for this feature even if we will have to make an extra donation for it. Please, make this happen.

As for Admin Apps - I noticed an interesting thing. I have a Package Disabler Pro installed - not sure if you are familiar with it, but its an app to remove bloatware. It requires Device Admin apps and also creates a profile in the cloud.

When we do something in the cloud (for example, disable a package) the phone beeps, which means its getting the command from the cloud.

I disabled all the traffic for Package Disabler via NetGuard and whilst it couldn't disable a package from the cloud, the phone still beeped when I processed a command from the cloud. So I was worried maybe its still sending packages being a Device Admin application and that it was still able to find my phone and make it beep even though the software is disabled in Netguard.

Maybe some other module is responsible receiving the beep command and that module is not disabled in Netguard.
I guess this FAQ might be applicable:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq66

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016

As you I would like such a feature to be developed.

But Marcel has already answered several times about new developments concerning NetGuard. We must respect his decision.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see that setting in Network Settings, unless the Lockdown Wi-Fi setting actually allows LAN access over the WiFi?
    You must first enable Subnet routing to be able to enable LAN access. Both settings are in the Network settings.
    Marsel, I enjoy your app very much (I have full pro version). Can I use multiple host files? I now use default but I think I'll need a bit more in the future.
    Yes, you can import a second host file (either created by yourself or downloaded somewhere else) via the setting item 'Import host file (append)', which will then be merged with the first one.
    Sorry if it has been asked before.
    I have a question regarding the append host file. Is this host file, the appended one, removed when I update or use download host file option ?
    Yes
    I don't know if it has been asked, but I don't know how to search precisely either.

Is there the possibility to allow some apps to connect to local network devices creating their own Wifi?

i.e.
    Panasonic Image App
    Sony Imaging Edge Mobile
    Insta360

all the applications above, connects to their cameras through a wifi that is generated by the camera itself.
    The "physical" connection to the wireless network goes well, of course, but with netguard on, the connection of the application to the device does not work, somehow it is filtered at the application level.

Is there a way to make it work without disabling netguard completelyl?

Thank you.
    In the advanced settings enable filtering and for the apps disable 'Apply rules and conditions' and it will probably work.
    First of all thanks Marcel for your continued support of this great app!

Quick question from my side to the community whether the app on my phone is working as intended:

I am using the paid version of Netguard and downloaded the hostfile to block ads etc.

In my log, I can see that those unwanted connections are blocked (see screenshot below)

View attachment 5277363

However, even though the domain appears to be blocked in the Netguard log, my Pi-hole tells me that a query was still made and that it was blocked by Pi-hole instead (see screenshot below)

View attachment 5277365

Is this behavior as expected?
    Yes, please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq63
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    I have just released beta version 2.268

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version adds a setting for a domain name to use to validate the internet connection. The default is www.google.com. You could for example change this into www.opendns.com.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone