• Increasing privacy

Votes: 744 53.7%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 898 64.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
NetGuard supports IPv6, but it is up to apps to use this. In any case NetGuard cannot force apps to use a specific IP version.
I will check but as far as I know my ISP (Verizon FIOS) does not support IPv6 to me. So it's not an option for me but I'll check.

But, I assume that NetGuard hides my IP address. Am I correct?

I have location permanently off on my phone. Anything else I should do to improve phone security?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I will check but as far as I know my ISP (Verizon FIOS) does not support IPv6 to me. So it's not an option for me but I'll check.

But, I assume that NetGuard hides my IP address. Am I correct?

I have location permanently off on my phone. Anything else I should do to improve phone security?
NetGuard is not a real VPN, so your IP address won't be hidden.

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
I am new to this app but don't understand why can't you simply explain somewhere what does it mean that some apps are displayed as black, red or light red in the app list. I don't see any explanation anywhere what is this?

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
another question: I haven't blocked anything yet and notification says 571 rules allowed, 0 blocked. But if I open traffic log it keeps logging uid 1051 android.dns as blocked about 4 times every 20seconds or so. Why is that?

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
I am new to this app but don't understand why can't you simply explain somewhere what does it mean that some apps are displayed as black, red or light red in the app list. I don't see any explanation anywhere what is this?
Red means system. Don't block any of these until you understand what they are.
Black are the apps you installed.

If you click on the 3 dots top right and select legend you will see an explanation of the symbol icons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-085004.png
    Screenshot_20210516-085004.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 18

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Also if you click on the 3 dots (top right) and select settings / 'Advanced options' you can unselect 'manage system apps' which will make the red (system apps) not appear in the list.
By its very nature, any firewall assumes you know what you are doing.

Reactions: lukval

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
Red means system. Don't block any of these until you understand what they are.
Black are the apps you installed.

If you click on the 3 dots top right and select legend you will see an explanation of the symbol icons.
OK figured out red, but you didn't answer completely - there are three colours, so what's the difference between red and light red?

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
something happened to traffic log - I see only UIDs but if I tap on it and on the number in context menu it no longer shows me process name and details - just an empty page. Why is that?
1621203694958.png

and I get this
1621203733473.png

and it's not just this 1051, but other numbers also.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
OK figured out red, but you didn't answer completely - there are three colours, so what's the difference between red and light red?
I was not sure what you meant.

There are 2 columns. There are 2 columns on the right for each app. The left columns is for WiFi the 2nd one is mobile phone data. Blocking the first one stops the app accessing via WiFi. The lighter colored one prevents the app from accessing via your cellphone mobile data.

A bar across means blocked. No bar means not blocked.

That depends on whether you chose blacklist or white list behavior in settings/options. See below.

The FAQ is available at

It can also accessed via 3 dots / support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-200817.png
    Screenshot_20210516-200817.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 12

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
I was not sure what you meant.

There are 2 columns. There are 2 columns on the right for each app. The left columns is for WiFi the 2nd one is mobile phone data. Blocking the first one stops the app accessing via WiFi. The lighter colored one prevents the app from accessing via your cellphone mobile data.

A bar across means blocked. No bar means not blocked.

That depends on whether you chose blacklist or white list behavior in settings/options. See below.

The FAQ is available at

It can also accessed via 3 dots / support.
I am sorry but you now talk about something completely different :-] I asked why apps in the list are displayed as black, red or light red text! Not about the icons - these are quite clear and also described in legend (unlike these colours)
1621242370476.png

Attachments

• 1621242288302.png
    1621242288302.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 12

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I am sorry but you now talk about something completely different :-] I asked why apps in the list are displayed as black, red or light red text! Not about the icons - these are quite clear and also described in legend (unlike these colours)
View attachment 5311727
Red = system app (preinstalled app)
Dimmed = has no internet access

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
I haven't blocked anything yet and notification says 571 rules allowed, 0 blocked. But if I open traffic log it keeps logging uid 1051 android.dns as blocked about 4 times every 20seconds or so. Why is that?
anybody knows this?

VitasLoWang

Feb 13, 2010
is there some dev around who could explain this please? Seems like it is DNS daemon and GPS daemon which are periodically being blocked, but I have NOT explicitly blocked them and they have both wifi and cellular data icons green, so how do I allow something which already is allowed? Anyway why would I even try to do it if all seems to work fine?
I suppose NetGuard have some internal default rules to block certain addresses or actions for the system apps which are considered unnecessary or malicious?

Screenshot_20210518-213454_NetGuard.jpgScreenshot_20210518-213129_NetGuard.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-213129_NetGuard.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518-213129_NetGuard.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 23

xyzsco

Jan 23, 2021
I had a question about netguard.
I have an open vpn server on my router at home.

I connect to it when i am on the road.

I saw you had Socks5 chain support and there was a bug about the parent process giving its ip when the client did the dns look up.

Could you go into a little detail about my specific scenario and what that would look like?

I don't have any experience with sockschains, any tutorials that one recommends?

Before anyone says google it, i don't use google search predominantly.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I had a question about netguard.
I have an open vpn server on my router at home.

I connect to it when i am on the road.

I saw you had Socks5 chain support and there was a bug about the parent process giving its ip when the client did the dns look up.

Could you go into a little detail about my specific scenario and what that would look like?

I don't have any experience with sockschains, any tutorials that one recommends?

Before anyone says google it, i don't use google search predominantly.
You have asked this question by email too. Why not have a little patience?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 5311727
    Red = system app (preinstalled app)
    Dimmed = has no internet access
    Is it possible to reduce the mass of ads in Chrome?
    I have the Github version with the actual Hosts file (Netguard actual) and Domain blocking enabled, but Chrome is filled with ads.
    I had to switch phone, before I had root, now no root, before I had much less ads.
    Anybody has a hint to reduce ads in Chrome?
    Thanks
    The use of Chrome and Netguard doesn't really go well together in my opinion. I have six other browsers here - and I don't see any ads on any of them.
    didn't work for me
    That's a hell of an extremely detailed error description.
    It would be nice to see a few positive reviews in the Play store and being motivated to maintain this app.
    Can't give more than 5*. Sorry. Love your app.
    Is it possible to reduce the mass of ads in Chrome?
    I have the Github version with the actual Hosts file (Netguard actual) and Domain blocking enabled, but Chrome is filled with ads.
    I had to switch phone, before I had root, now no root, before I had much less ads.
    Anybody has a hint to reduce ads in Chrome?
    Thanks
    I can't guarantee it will work on chrome for android since it doesn't have an adblocker by default & google and provider has its own way to handle ads which sometimes can be annoying. But perhaps you can try these steps to reduce ads.
    1. Clear Data stored in settings > site settings.
    2. Clear all browsing data in settings > privacy and security.
    3. Turn off lite mode.
    4. Clear host cache by entering this address on chrome
    chrome://net-internals/#dns.
    5. Restart chrome
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    I have just released beta version 2.268

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version adds a setting for a domain name to use to validate the internet connection. The default is www.google.com. You could for example change this into www.opendns.com.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone