• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

• Reducing data usage

Votes: 447 30.8%
  • Saving battery

Votes: 311 21.4%
  • Increasing privacy

Votes: 796 54.8%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 937 64.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dreamflake

Aug 3, 2011
NetGuard is supported from Android 6 up to and including Android 12.

Assuming this problem is really caused by NetGuard, which is not very likely if it works for the first 30 minutes, try to disable 'Apply rules and conditions' for the app.
Thank you for your workaround: yes, disabling 'Apply rules and conditions' has the same positive effect, no playback interruptions anymore. I'll report it to the app's developers.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This is a pretty good example of a demotivating 1 star Play store review:

B.S. nothing is under signed herein your app except maybe 3 to 4 blocks but everything as you stated under Google will run as provision of Google Play management servers regardless. This like taking information down to advert to your application and it still does the same thing. As for WiFi your app wouldn't work without it for vpn. This is a fake ass application, uninstalling this crapware Sniff data app!

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021
Good day, could someone please assist? I have just installed NetGuard and purchased the blocked traffic log option. In the FAQ on Github it states the following: No.2: Application icon (tap on a log entry to see the application name). However, on my phone running Android 11, it does not show the app name at all, even though I have selected that option in the log options, three dots, show names. I have attached a screenshot of the log screen for clarity. Could someone advise what I may be doing wrong, please?

Attachments

• netguard_log.jpg
    netguard_log.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 38

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Good day, could someone please assist? I have just installed NetGuard and purchased the blocked traffic log option. In the FAQ on Github it states the following: No.2: Application icon (tap on a log entry to see the application name). However, on my phone running Android 11, it does not show the app name at all, even though I have selected that option in the log options, three dots, show names. I have attached a screenshot of the log screen for clarity. Could someone advise what I may be doing wrong, please?
The traffic the screenshot shows is not related to a specific app.

Please make sure filtering is enabled in the advanced settings of the app and that private DNS is disabled in the Android settings.

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021
The traffic the screenshot shows is not related to a specific app.

Please make sure filtering is enabled in the advanced settings of the app and that private DNS is disabled in the Android settings.
Thank you for your reply. Filter traffic is enabled in the advanced settings. I have no idea about the second suggestion, the private DNS setting. Could you please elaborate?

bspmn

Apr 13, 2021
Google Pixel 3a
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you for your reply. Filter traffic is enabled in the advanced settings. I have no idea about the second suggestion, the private DNS setting. Could you please elaborate?
Make sure private DNS is turned off in your phone settings ( screenshot below). You can still select the DNS servers of your choice in Netguard > advance settings if needed (2nd screenshot, I have Cloudflare set up but you can use others). Hope that helps :)
Screenshot_20211206-180247069 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20211206-180334835 (1).jpg

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021
Make sure private DNS is turned off in your phone settings ( screenshot below). You can still select the DNS servers of your choice in Netguard > advance settings if needed (2nd screenshot, I have Cloudflare set up but you can use others). Hope that helps :)View attachment 5476111View attachment 5476113
Thank you, sir it did indeed help. My DNS in Android settings was set to automatic, since I did not know about this. Now on off and Netguard set according to your second screenshot ( I also use 1.1.1.1 as DNS on my fibre router as well). One final unrelated question, I noticed that in the screenshot above there is an option to block domain addresses, which is not in my app, downloaded from Google Play. If I install the one from Github, will my two purchases still be valid?

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Thank you, sir it did indeed help. My DNS in Android settings was set to automatic, since I did not know about this. Now on off and Netguard set according to your second screenshot ( I also use 1.1.1.1 as DNS on my fibre router as well). One final unrelated question, I noticed that in the screenshot above there is an option to block domain addresses, which is not in my app, downloaded from Google Play. If I install the one from Github, will my two purchases still be valid?
You see, there are two DNS-adresses set in NG?
Your Playstore-Purchases are also valid for the Github-version.

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021
You see, there are two DNS-adresses set in NG?
Your Playstore-Purchases are also valid for the Github-version.
Yes I did see that , sir, thank you, I was just making the point that I use both those DNS addresses as well.
And thank you, I think I will download the Github version instead then. All assistance is much appreciated, thank you to all who replied.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
In practice Play store purchases will be valid in the GitHub version, but I can't guarantee and support this because it depends on the "mood" of Google.

I guess this will be useful:

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021

La_Globule

Nov 6, 2007
Hello Marcel,
Sorry to bother you with that but I'm experiencing a problem where NG firewall stops working without any reason. When it occurs, blocked apps get Internet access although they shouldn't. There is no message neither notification.
This problem occured many times before I decided to signal it.
I'm suspecting the configuration change (Wi-Fi to mobile data) event because it seems to occur at this moment.
I'm running the latest version (2.298) and Android 11.
What can be done? Do you need logs to investigate?
Thanks for your help.
Hello Marcel,
I've got this problem again this evening when getting out from airplane mode to mobile data (so not only from Wi-Fi).
My config is:
- no private DNS
- two DNS IPs set
- GitHub release on Android v11
I've written an automated task that detects the problem and it would be great if I could restart myself the NG service in this task as a workaround.
I know you are not very willing to develop this but it could be very helpful.
To be secured, the action could be password protected for instance.
Can you please think about it?
Many many thanks.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello Marcel,
I've got this problem again this evening when getting out from airplane mode to mobile data (so not only from Wi-Fi).
My config is:
- no private DNS
- two DNS IPs set
- GitHub release on Android v11
I've written an automated task that detects the problem and it would be great if I could restart myself the NG service in this task as a workaround.
I know you are not very willing to develop this but it could be very helpful.
To be secured, the action could be password protected for instance.
Can you please think about it?
Many many thanks.
When it happens again, please send me immediately (every second counts) the debug info by tapping seven times on the title of 'About'.

The app will be maintained and supported, but there won't be new features anymore. The unfriendly messages I get each and everyday are the reason for this.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This app "Play Music - MP3 Music player" in the Samsung app store has the same package name as NetGuard, but obviously isn't NetGuard:

I am not sure what is going on and there doesn't seem to be a way to report the app to Samsung, or am I missing something?

Edit: I have reported the app to Samsung. Let's see what will happen.

Last edited:

The DZEdge

Nov 15, 2015
I've started to use my phone to cast to my TV. Samsung Dex as an example app.
But the only way to achieve this, is to disable NetGuard completely (i.e. toggle switch top left of app).
I've tried allowing all listed apps, by whitelisting WiFi, but it doesn't work. I need to disable NG.

Am I missing some other setting that needs tweeking?

(NG is Pro version from Google Play. Samsung phone isn't rooted).

Thanks for any help.
Do you have the following enabled? If NO, enable it and try to cast DEX to TV again.
Settings => Network Options => Allow LAN Access
If above option is grayed out, you must enable the following first. Then Allow LAN Access
Settings => Network Options => Subnet routing

Reactions: 0-0-0

0-0-0

May 12, 2013
UK of Englandshire
Do you have the following enabled? If NO, enable it and try to cast DEX to TV again.
Settings => Network Options => Allow LAN Access
If above option is grayed out, you must enable the following first. Then Allow LAN Access
Settings => Network Options => Subnet routing
You're a star. That worked, now all "casting" apps are being displayed on TV.
Thank you very much :)

Reactions: The DZEdge

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I didn't receive a real response from the Samsung security team, except that the report was received.

IMHO this is a pretty big security issue in the Galaxy store and it is taking much too long to address this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 2.300 is available on Bitbucket now.

Download:
    https://bitbucket.org/M66B/netguard-test/downloads/NetGuard-v2.300-release.apk

There will be no update notification for this preview release.

Changelog:
    • Improved Android 12 compatibility
    • Removed subscriptions (due to new Play store policies)
    • Updated builds tools and translations
    All changes:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/compare/2.299...2.300?w=1
    Hi Marcel,

I understand that NetGuard is no more available on GitHub but on Bitbucket.

Is this new version 2.300 a stable or beta version ? It's not indicated when trying downloading it.
    The Bitbucket version is a preview version. It will be made available on GitHub later.
    Hi there,

first of all a big thanks @M66B for Netguard. I almost immediately bought the premium version after I got my new phone and decided to try going root-less and replace AfWall+ with it for a while. And from what I can tell it runs perfectly fine since some months :)

I really love the integrated ad-blocking feature and let Tasker update my blocklist via service intent. In that way, Netguard both replaces AfWall+ and my VPN to my Pi-Hole at home with only minimal restrictions (not being able to access my Shaarli instance at home for example if I am away), since the Wireguard app sadly does not support Socks5 :rolleyes:.

I have one question though which I could not find in the app FAQ or in this thread: Is it also possible to append a local hosts file via a second service intent or shell command after the main hosts file has been updated?
    Hi,
    NetGuard does not request access rights for storing data thus I can't grant permission. This is the same for all of my devices and it is working on the others.
    Is there some sort of if-then condition to enable or disable those buttons?
    Please read the res of the referenced FAQ too and skip the part of the storage permissions.

The FAQ is for FairEmail, but the problem is similar.
    Any chance for a root-version of NetGuard to get it working without VPN?
    Perhaps as Magisk module or donation-feature?

Short notice: As I was looking for a firewall app I also found this one.
    It is using your app description. Perhaps just the description or also your codebase with different interface ui.
    I have no plans for a root version, sorry.

The referenced app is most likely based on the code of NetGuard, without permissions ...
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    I have just released beta version 2.268

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version adds a setting for a domain name to use to validate the internet connection. The default is www.google.com. You could for example change this into www.opendns.com.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.