• Increasing privacy

Votes: 817 55.2%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 954 64.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

The DZEdge

Nov 15, 2015
I didn't receive a real response from the Samsung security team, except that the report was received.

IMHO this is a pretty big security issue in the Galaxy store and it is taking much too long to address this.
You are SO right. Just so happen, I got a notification on my phone from the Galaxy Store that "Play Music - MP3 Music Player" has an available update. I cringe at the thought of what could be the result of performing this bogus update. And No, I don't even have an app resembling that name on my phone but, still. I'm glad I logged in and saw your post yesterday. This IS NOT cool. How did you discover the package name match with NetGuard? Good catch and thanks for alerting us. This kinda scary.

NOTE to ALL. This is a good reason NOT to have any App Store set to Auto-Update your Apps.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
You are SO right. Just so happen, I got a notification on my phone from the Galaxy Store that "Play Music - MP3 Music Player" has an available update. I cringe at the thought of what could be the result of performing this bogus update. And No, I don't even have an app resembling that name on my phone but, still. I'm glad I logged in and saw your post yesterday. This IS NOT cool. How did you discover the package name match with NetGuard? Good catch and thanks for alerting us. This kinda scary.

NOTE to ALL. This is a good reason NOT to have any App Store set to Auto-Update your Apps.
The package name is in the URL of the app:

https://galaxystore.samsung.com/detail/eu.faircode.netguard

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Who actually assigns the package name? I assume, the author after completely free arbitrariness, or? And then the store operator doesn't have to check whether this package name already exists? Similar to the creation of an account somewhere, where it then sometimes also says "An account with such a name already exists here - please think of another one." But presumably such a check would then only refer to the own store and not all stores worldwide .... and if you then do not offer NG in the Galaxy Store, probably only a mail to the store operator remains - as you did.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Who actually assigns the package name? I assume, the author after completely free arbitrariness, or? And then the store operator doesn't have to check whether this package name already exists? Similar to the creation of an account somewhere, where it then sometimes also says "An account with such a name already exists here - please think of another one." But presumably such a check would then only refer to the own store and not all stores worldwide .... and if you then do not offer NG in the Galaxy Store, probably only a mail to the store operator remains - as you did.
The developer assigns a package name and the "store" checks if it is unique. The problem here is that the Galaxy store doesn't check the apps in the Play store.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The answer from Samsung:

"Kindly know I have labeled your inquiry as a suggestion for the developing department to review."

My guess: nothing will happen. My judgement: Samsung is stupid.

Reactions: pardub

The DZEdge

Nov 15, 2015
The answer from Samsung:

"Kindly know I have labeled your inquiry as a suggestion for the developing department to review."

My guess: nothing will happen. My judgement: Samsung is stupid.
I also contacted Samsung today. The chat session I had was downright shameful and leaves little confidence this will get resolved in a timely manner. I haven't closed the book on it though. I may make another attempt via another channel.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I also contacted Samsung today. The chat session I had was downright shameful and leaves little confidence this will get resolved in a timely manner. I haven't closed the book on it though. I may make another attempt via another channel.
I can't even respond to the answer I've got. I think "shameful" is pretty accurate description.

IMHO this is a pretty significant security problem, which should have been addressed right away. In any case I did my best by contacting Samsung in two different ways, by warning in this XDA thread, by warning on GitHub and by trying to contact the "author" of the "Music Player".

Reactions: jsusang and pardub

bspmn

Apr 13, 2021
Google Pixel 6
Still have a Samsung account from my old phone so logged in and reported it as well. Pointed out the risk and asked them to look into it.

Got the template response email so agree they probably won't do anything. People really should have the option to remove unwanted bloat like the galaxy store on first set up..

zinogre

Dec 13, 2021
Hi! I've just discovered this great app and started using it. There is something I want to ask: from what I read from the FAQ, if IP filtering is disabled, allowed apps will connect to the internet as if there is no VPN? (I play a game that bans accounts for real money trade very aggressively, and the dev of this game may use device's location to check if the location jumped unusually (which may indicate RMT). I don't think Netguard will affect it, but better have some experts view on this).

Thanks for reading my noob question.

Last edited:

bspmn

Apr 13, 2021
Google Pixel 6
So I received a reply from Samsung;

'Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Regarding your inquiry, your inquiry has been forwarded to the department in charge, and the department has stopped selling the application with the same package name as your application.'

The link above now shows the app is delisted :) hopefully they got in touch with you @M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi! I've just discovered this great app and started using it. There is something I want to ask: from what I read from the FAQ, if IP filtering is disabled, allowed apps will connect to the internet as if there is no VPN? (I play a game that bans accounts for real money trade very aggressively, and the dev of this game may use device's location to check if the location jumped unusually (which may indicate RMT). I don't think Netguard will affect it, but better have some experts view on this).

Thanks for reading my noob question.
Disabling filtering will disable managing individual connections only.

Note that there is no remote VPN server.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So I received a reply from Samsung;

'Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Regarding your inquiry, your inquiry has been forwarded to the department in charge, and the department has stopped selling the application with the same package name as your application.'

The link above now shows the app is delisted :) hopefully they got in touch with you @M66B
It took some time, but the malicious app is indeed gone now.
I didn't receive any notice from Samsung though.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
NetGuard has been available and has been supported for 6 years and 2 months now and will keep being maintained and supported for the foreseeable future, despite the constant stream of disappointing messages I am receiving.

Lately, somebody asked for a new feature, which would be useful to a few people only, probably for him alone. I said "no" to this, explaining why not, and since this "no" I have been receiving multiple messages from him each day.

If you want to demotivate independent developers, this is one of the recipes.

markdewet

Dec 5, 2021
NetGuard has been available and has been supported for 6 years and 2 months now and will keep being maintained and supported for the foreseeable future, despite the constant stream of disappointing messages I am receiving.

Lately, somebody asked for a new feature, which would be useful to a few people only, probably for him alone. I said "no" to this, explaining why not, and since this "no" I have been receiving multiple messages from him each day.

If you want to demotivate independent developers, this is one of the recipes.
It is such a pity that happens. As a user, I can attest to the quality and usefulness of the app and I appreciate the work that has gone into the creation of this app. So please keep up the great work.

mizifih

Oct 22, 2010
www.marciobm.com
Hi there. I need to block/unblock YouTube data usage on my phone, but not just simply blocking the app, I also need to block YouTube being accessed from another apps, like chrome or any other that playback videos hosted on YouTube. While WiFi access to YouTube should still be possible.

Can I do that with this app?

Tom100%

Jul 10, 2021
Hi, I'm net to using Netguard. I've installed it on my Asus Zenfone 8.

I don't see the Netguard key icon in the phones status bar - am I missing some obvious setting?

Thanks.

---
Just discovered the answer: Display > System bars > Status bar icon manager > enable VPN.

Last edited:

rookie-krewkie

Dec 25, 2021
Hi there! Can NetGuard provide some scenario when i have L2TP (or another) VPN active and when it suddenly will be forced to stop, NetGuard blocks all of my internet automatically. And when this VPN launches again, NetGuard allows traffic as before.

Top Liked Posts

Thread re-opened on request of OP @M66B who allowed me to share his PM with you:

Can you please open all threads again?

This is to give people a chance to discuss and to help each other. It doesn't mean I will resume development though.
    Even without further development and support, we owe Marcel a huge thank you for the apps and support he gave us over the years.
    It is very sad to see him leave the scene. I never met Marcel in person but feel like I'm losing a close friend.
    I hope Marcel's girlfriend recovers rapidly and fully.
    @M66B don't stop your good work. Without play store how users buy PRO features.? Please be kind enough to provide alternative method.
    Thread re-opened on request of OP @M66B who allowed me to share his PM with you:

Can you please open all threads again?

This is to give people a chance to discuss and to help each other. It doesn't mean I will resume development though.
    Even without further development and support, we owe Marcel a huge thank you for the apps and support he gave us over the years.
    It is very sad to see him leave the scene. I never met Marcel in person but feel like I'm losing a close friend.
    I hope Marcel's girlfriend recovers rapidly and fully.
    On special request by PM of OP, Marcel aka @M66B, I have to inform you as follows:
    Can you please write in each XDA thread that the GitHub repos have been restored?
    Marcel, I know you can't respond here but personally I hope that this isn't your final decision.
    @Tom100% , you maybe could do an internet search of "<your phone make/model> bloatware safe to remove" and use that as a jumping off point.
    @M66B don't stop your good work. Without play store how users buy PRO features.? Please be kind enough to provide alternative method.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.