• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

• Reducing data usage

Votes: 447 30.8%
  • Saving battery

Votes: 311 21.4%
  • Increasing privacy

Votes: 795 54.8%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 936 64.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kaizokan

Apr 18, 2012
Hi there, good to see its all still active here :)

Question: Is enabling subnet routing supposed to keep my phone awake by also preventing the screen from going dark? I know that the app (SMBSync2) that was running does this also on its own as well but only when the app is on foreground and without going dark for even a second unlike with subnet routing enabled. With subnet routing enabled it no longer seems to matter whether the app is on foreground as it keeps the screen awake even when another app is opened. The screen does go dark but only for a second or two before it automatically gets lit again, also preventing it from locking the phone. When locking it by pressing the power button it does lock phone, the screen is kept lit however until the app is done with the file transfer session.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi there, good to see its all still active here :)

Question: Is enabling subnet routing supposed to keep my phone awake by also preventing the screen from going dark? I know that the app (SMBSync2) that was running does this also on its own as well but only when the app is on foreground and without going dark for even a second unlike with subnet routing enabled. With subnet routing enabled it no longer seems to matter whether the app is on foreground as it keeps the screen awake even when another app is opened. The screen does go dark but only for a second or two before it automatically gets lit again, also preventing it from locking the phone. When locking it by pressing the power button it does lock phone, the screen is kept lit however until the app is done with the file transfer session.
That's not what the option is for and also not what it will do.

Reactions: kaizokan

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all,

Is Android control for app "Restrict data usage for Wi-Fi and Mobile data" equivalent to NetGuard control for app about Wi-Fi and Mobile data ?

Hi all,

Is Android control for app "Restrict data usage for Wi-Fi and Mobile data" equivalent to NetGuard control for app about Wi-Fi and Mobile data ?
I can strongly recommend it.
I use whitelist mode and only apps I select can get internet access.
Very helpful to reduce spreading of your data as well.
Loads of apps work offline and even system/google apps do.
Using it on Lineage 14.1 to 18.1 and stock Android 12.
I've bought protocolling which helps ablot when fiddling around with the white list.

Reactions: iwanttoknow

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, I have an app (keepass2android) which syncs with my database hosted on my local network stick FritzNas. If I enable netguard the sync fails, if it's deactivated it syncs properly. The protocol shows no blocked access as well as the app itself within netguard. If I deactivate "use rules and conditions" in netguard the sync works again properly. I am wondering how I can debug this

Hi,
Did you enable "Subnet routing" and then "Local network access" in the NG Network options?
Well I didn't and on my pure wifi tablet with LOS14.1 and keepass2 is syncing anyhow.
Access to Fritz NAS via ftp works.
Pic shows the only system apps I white-listed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-163412.png
    Screenshot_20220118-163412.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Version 2.300 is available on Bitbucket now.

Download:
https://bitbucket.org/M66B/netguard-test/downloads/NetGuard-v2.300-release.apk

There will be no update notification for this preview release.

Changelog:
  • Improved Android 12 compatibility
  • Removed subscriptions (due to new Play store policies)
  • Updated builds tools and translations
All changes:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/compare/2.299...2.300?w=1
Hi Marcel,

I understand that NetGuard is no more available on GitHub but on Bitbucket.

Is this new version 2.300 a stable or beta version ? It's not indicated when trying downloading it.

iAmRyC

Jan 11, 2011
Is there a solution to getting NetGuard working again on Android 12 (Note 10+)? Since I've done the 12 update, NetGuard isn't blocking ads consistently in Chrome and various apps

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Is there a solution to getting NetGuard working again on Android 12 (Note 10+)? Since I've done the 12 update, NetGuard isn't blocking ads consistently in Chrome and various apps
NetGuard works fine on Android 12, at least om my Pixel 4a 5G, and I don't see why it wouldn't work on other devices.

Did you already check out the trouble shooting tips in the ad blocking instructions.

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010
There is no problem for me on Android 12. Worked since day one when Google released it.
Maybe you updated via Play Store and lost the adblock functionality with it.

iAmRyC

Jan 11, 2011
Went back through all the ad-block instructions and found that Private DNS was selected. Looks like that has solved the problem for me.

MeansWell

Jul 30, 2020
Hi, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the "removed subscriptions" in the latest version. I am using NetGuard (paid). I don't use the Playstore. What are (were?) the subscriptions to? Would someone be so kind as to explain what that is?

Does that mean I can't use the hosts file any more to block ads? Usually, if the "playstore company" wants to remove something, its something I want to keep. Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I'm sorry, but I don't understand the "removed subscriptions" in the latest version. I am using NetGuard (paid). I don't use the Playstore. What are (were?) the subscriptions to? Would someone be so kind as to explain what that is?

Does that mean I can't use the hosts file any more to block ads? Usually, if the "playstore company" wants to remove something, its something I want to keep. Again, I apologize for my ignorance.
Subscriptions were there to support the project monthly, but Google doesn't allow that anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 2.300 is available on Bitbucket now.

Download:
    https://bitbucket.org/M66B/netguard-test/downloads/NetGuard-v2.300-release.apk

There will be no update notification for this preview release.

Changelog:
    • Improved Android 12 compatibility
    • Removed subscriptions (due to new Play store policies)
    • Updated builds tools and translations
    All changes:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/compare/2.299...2.300?w=1
    Hi Marcel,

I understand that NetGuard is no more available on GitHub but on Bitbucket.

Is this new version 2.300 a stable or beta version ? It's not indicated when trying downloading it.
    The Bitbucket version is a preview version. It will be made available on GitHub later.
    Hi there,

first of all a big thanks @M66B for Netguard. I almost immediately bought the premium version after I got my new phone and decided to try going root-less and replace AfWall+ with it for a while. And from what I can tell it runs perfectly fine since some months :)

I really love the integrated ad-blocking feature and let Tasker update my blocklist via service intent. In that way, Netguard both replaces AfWall+ and my VPN to my Pi-Hole at home with only minimal restrictions (not being able to access my Shaarli instance at home for example if I am away), since the Wireguard app sadly does not support Socks5 :rolleyes:.

I have one question though which I could not find in the app FAQ or in this thread: Is it also possible to append a local hosts file via a second service intent or shell command after the main hosts file has been updated?
    Hi,
    NetGuard does not request access rights for storing data thus I can't grant permission. This is the same for all of my devices and it is working on the others.
    Is there some sort of if-then condition to enable or disable those buttons?
    Please read the res of the referenced FAQ too and skip the part of the storage permissions.

The FAQ is for FairEmail, but the problem is similar.
    Any chance for a root-version of NetGuard to get it working without VPN?
    Perhaps as Magisk module or donation-feature?

Short notice: As I was looking for a firewall app I also found this one.
    It is using your app description. Perhaps just the description or also your codebase with different interface ui.
    I have no plans for a root version, sorry.

The referenced app is most likely based on the code of NetGuard, without permissions ...
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.

XDA:DevDB Information
    NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information

Created 2015-10-25
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    I have just released beta version 2.268

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version adds a setting for a domain name to use to validate the internet connection. The default is www.google.com. You could for example change this into www.opendns.com.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.