• Increasing privacy

Votes: 838 55.4%
  • Blocking ads

Votes: 975 64.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I am sorry, but I have no plans to change this. Nobody ever asked for this and I think it will be confusing and not adding anything seen from the perspective of what the app does.
This isn't a new feature request, instead an improvisation over something that already exists. There is always a first time for everything. As a user, I can only make suggestions for improvement. It's your call in the end.

Spirch

Nov 25, 2018
in a weird way I just found out about netguard, I used another vpn firewall for the past few years which is VERY basic compared to this

I'm playing around and so far I think I will ditch the other for netguard and even buy some feature or the pro soon

I like the whitelist / notification pattern a lot.

question, is there a list of "recommended allow" of system app out there? if it help, for samsung note 9 / android 10

my "current soon to be ditched" firewall is blacklist pattern only, I just want to be sure I don't cause any annoyance / issue to myself so any hint / recommendation would be welcome

also, for the dev, nice work!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel Good Day :D
I liked Netguard so much I wanted it on my Wiondows 10 PC too, I am using TinyWall Firewall right now and it does the job but I wanted Netguard more because it is so user-friendly and simple. Do you have a windows version of NG?
NetGuard is there for Android only.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
in a weird way I just found out about netguard, I used another vpn firewall for the past few years which is VERY basic compared to this

I'm playing around and so far I think I will ditch the other for netguard and even buy some feature or the pro soon

I like the whitelist / notification pattern a lot.

question, is there a list of "recommended allow" of system app out there? if it help, for samsung note 9 / android 10

my "current soon to be ditched" firewall is blacklist pattern only, I just want to be sure I don't cause any annoyance / issue to myself so any hint / recommendation would be welcome

also, for the dev, nice work!
There are so many different devices and Android versions, it isn't possible to give more than some basic advice. Blocking system apps and system components can result in trouble, but will be reversible, although some things are cached for a long time.

Reactions: Spirch

OldNoobOne

There are so many different devices and Android versions, it isn't possible to give more than some basic advice. Blocking system apps and system components can result in trouble, but will be reversible, although some things are cached for a long time.
Marcel, I blocked all the System Apps from accessing WiFi & Data, but I see SMS still working even though Messaging App is blocked, so my question is do some system apps still make it past NG block?

Spirch

Nov 25, 2018

ok, I have turned on "notify on internet access", i will check when thing want to do something one by one :)

in the mean time, if anyone have a list or something, let me know

wudangnic

Feb 22, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Starting couple of days ago I start to receive this annoying notification (from netguard) that netguard was installed. I dismiss it repeatedly but keep showing. How can I get ride of it?
Screenshot_20220629-124416_Pixel Launcher.png

and1ronik

Dec 1, 2021
hey Marcel just updated to 2.302 thank you man. i have a question that is concerning me for a few months and no matter how hard i tried to find an answer i was not able.

please tell me if you have any idea. NG shows noname attempts to some destinations such as apple.com Proton AG and many others. those attempts are not initiated by me 100%. sometimes device was not in use at all, sometimes it was used but no usage can be correlated with those domains. sometimes device was used to share internet with my laptop as a hotspot. here i have first suspect on my laptop i do use proton vpn. some time ago i used a different vpn and it's domain also was logged by NG - but i remember how you assured that tethered traffic will never be routed through android's vpn due to its architecture. and attempts to apple.com are a complete mystery as i do not use anything associated with apple, no devices no apps no services.

Marcel please, take some time to explain me why NG log reflects this? and the blank space in app's name and id in those attempts?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
hey Marcel just updated to 2.302 thank you man. i have a question that is concerning me for a few months and no matter how hard i tried to find an answer i was not able.

please tell me if you have any idea. NG shows noname attempts to some destinations such as apple.com Proton AG and many others. those attempts are not initiated by me 100%. sometimes device was not in use at all, sometimes it was used but no usage can be correlated with those domains. sometimes device was used to share internet with my laptop as a hotspot. here i have first suspect on my laptop i do use proton vpn. some time ago i used a different vpn and it's domain also was logged by NG - but i remember how you assured that tethered traffic will never be routed through android's vpn due to its architecture. and attempts to apple.com are a complete mystery as i do not use anything associated with apple, no devices no apps no services.

Marcel please, take some time to explain me why NG log reflects this? and the blank space in app's name and id in those attempts?
The log file show which traffic flows through NetGuard and Android delivers the app info for connections. Unfortunately, there isn't much more I can tell you.

develund

Jul 5, 2022
Hi, I have only recently discovered NetGuard, but I am becoming a big fan. So thank you Marcel, also for FairEmail, which is hands down the best email application!

One issue I seem to be having is that Android Auto sometimes has trouble connecting to my car. I once received an error message saying this could be related to a VPN, if I'm using one. Unfortunately, I cannot find Android Auto in the list of apps within Netguard to allow traffic. What can I do?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I have only recently discovered NetGuard, but I am becoming a big fan. So thank you Marcel, also for FairEmail, which is hands down the best email application!

One issue I seem to be having is that Android Auto sometimes has trouble connecting to my car. I once received an error message saying this could be related to a VPN, if I'm using one. Unfortunately, I cannot find Android Auto in the list of apps within Netguard to allow traffic. What can I do?
Did you enable managing system apps in the advanced settings?

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Been testing different settings a lot lately and found that having Filter traffic enabled courses considerable battery loss. Is it safe to have Filter traffic disabled? I know about #6 in FAQ but it doesn’t really enlighten me.

OldNoobOne

If managing system apps is off, system apps will be allowed.
But Marcel what surprises me is that when a Pseudo-VPN Firewall (Example -NG) blocks system apps from connecting to the net why doesn't the device become heated? because my reasoning is that as the system apps are continuously trying to connect to the net either the battery should drain faster or/and the device should become heated. Just wanted clarity, curious.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
But Marcel what surprises me is that when a Pseudo-VPN Firewall (Example -NG) blocks system apps from connecting to the net why doesn't the device become heated? because my reasoning is that as the system apps are continuously trying to connect to the net either the battery should drain faster or/and the device should become heated. Just wanted clarity, curious.
Any decent app will use a logarithmic back-off scheme instead of continuously retrying (=linear back-off). For example, see here how FairEmail handles this:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    In Parameters, Advanced options, swipe down, you can set the DNSs.
    Remember, you MUST set the two addresses.
    May I kindly open a Feature Request?
    You can, but given the limited support for the project, despite millions of people using the app, there won't be any new features anymore. Bugs will be fixed and the necessary changes for new Android versions will be done though.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.