• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

lenny64

Dec 30, 2017
If you have logging enabled, try to disable it.

- logging is disabled
- battery optimization is disabled for netguard
- deleted data + cache to start with a clean config

It is just this one device with this kind of problem (Moto G4Play, with an stock Android, NOT unlocked or rooted ).

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

M66B, don't be disappointed, netguard project is great!
I think more weight has ratings from people who use their brain ;)

Yes, it is.
Would it help to mark obviously wrong reviews as not helpful?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
- logging is disabled
- battery optimization is disabled for netguard
- deleted data + cache to start with a clean config

It is just this one device with this kind of problem (Moto G4Play, with an stock Android, NOT unlocked or rooted ).

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Yes, it is.
Would it help to mark obviously wrong reviews as not helpful?
My guess is that there is a memory leak in the Android VPN service of this device.

Marking reviews as not helpful will make the reviews less visible, but the average rating won't change.

amazinged

Aug 12, 2015
Samsung has provided an update to Android 10 for some devices with a broken Android VPN service implementation. There are many 1 star ratings for this reason and demands that I need to fix this ASAP, while NetGuard clearly says with a status bar notification "... caused by a bug in Android".

I think the peolpe who think understand it. But is there a way you can make NetGuard work around that broken VPN implementation, or do we have to wait until Samsung is gonna fix it?

And was it a real mistake of Samsung or, is it for them a way just to implement things different, other than expected on Android, but they see that as a improvement of their security?

For now it is broken here anyhow. Think i'm not gonna try to flash back to a former build if possible on my S10 .
I'm since yesterday when Netguard stopped working on G973FXXU8CTG4 BTW.

Screenshot of fault:
Netguard-11-8.jpg

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
I think the peolpe who think understand it. But is there a way you can make NetGuard work around that broken VPN implementation, or do we have to wait until Samsung is gonna fix it?

And was it a real mistake of Samsung or, is it for them a way just to implement things different, other than expected on Android, but they see that as a improvement of their security?

For now it is broken here anyhow. Think i'm not gonna try to flash back to a former build if possible on my S10 .

Screenshot of fault:

What is the reason for android upgrade? Your hope in better world? I'm not sure if you are thinking good...

Sent from my STF-L09 using XDA Labs

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
For a long time, it is not receiving any updates from Motorola. :rolleyes:
This means I can not use this filter function, only if I update to a rom?
Lineage would be the best, I think.
LineageOS is an option, but please be aware that some LineageOS versions causes problems too, see the FAQ.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Screenshot of fault:
NetGuard cannot start the Android VPN service via the standard Android API, so this is a mistake of Samsung.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
1 star Play store comments like this do not motivate me to say the least:

"Terrible. Simple and Plain, and that's coming from a application developer himself... Absolutely terrible. Stop listening to this fool."

I had the idea to do a NetGuard II in the winter, but I am having second thoughts now, again.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016

"Terrible. Simple and Plain, and that's coming from a application developer himself... Absolutely terrible. Stop listening to this fool."

I had the idea to do a NetGuard II in the winter, but I am having second thoughts now, again.
Please Marcel stay on your first idea for the winter.

As I already said some people don't appreciate you give us a tool to protect our privacy.

Money money money...

Last edited:

amazinged

Aug 12, 2015

You know Marcel, don't take those people too serious when they give their opinions , "not hindered by any knowledge of the facts" :eek: , because that's how it works today in society.

Keep up your good work :good:. I loved to pay for both Netguard & Fairmail and love to use them both. Even when right now on one of my phones it doesn't work because of Samsung's recent update. It is what it is.

Samsung has provided an update to Android 10 for some devices with a broken Android VPN service implementation. There are many 1 star ratings for this reason and demands that I need to fix this ASAP, while NetGuard clearly says with a status bar notification "... caused by a bug in Android". If you are still wondering why it is depressing to be an Android developer, here is another reason.

If you care about NetGuard, you might want to write a Play store review if you didn't already.

What is the reason for android upgrade? Your hope in better world? I'm not sure if you are thinking good...

Well....... consider you're just trolling?

There was NO Android upgrade. Did i write so? Maybe time to learn then how to read? :D

There was the monthly update, most of the time because some security issues, or sollution to minor bugs, little improvements here and there ..... If you don't do them long enough time, then apps like the ones from your bank don't work anymore etc .....

Most people update those monthly updates; more even complain if their phones are not anymore supported....

Hope for a better world for you, with a bit more thinking perhaps before you post such a nonsence.

Last edited:

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
Well....... consider you're just trolling?

There was NO Android upgrade. Did i write so? Maybe time to learn then how to read? :D

There was the monthly update, most of the time because some security issues, or sollution to minor bugs, little improvements here and there ..... If you don't do them long enough time, then apps like the ones from your bank don't work anymore etc .....

Most people update those monthly updates; more even complain if their phones are not anymore supported....

Hope for a better world for you, with a bit more thinking perhaps before you post such a nonsence.

Yes, I understand if the bank application requires a system update. I don't understand if it's updated just because the phone manufacturer releases an update...

bhe1

Jul 30, 2020
M66B, thank you for the answer.

Is there a way to filter or show the apps where I have unchecked the "Notify internet access attempts" settings?
No, there isn't.
Do you have any plans to implement such a filter? It would come pretty handy. ;)

I have not activated "Filter traffic", yet the Access attempts list of some apps show addresses in orange color and sometimes green for google.com addresses.
Basically, only blocked traffic will be shown.
Can you elaborate then why some addresses (from google?) are shown in green color? Orange = blocked address, but green=?

Please don't let such comments demotivate you. I'm sure for every 1-star review there are at least 100 satisfied users celebrating your app. :victory:
For me it was shocking to see how many apps on my smartphone, most of them I don't even use, constantly try to phone home. Without Netguard Android would be an even bigger privacy nightmare.

Reactions: lenny64

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
I have just released beta version 2.286

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases
The github page says:
"Switched to direct download of StevenBlack's hosts file"
1. What does that mean in practice? The download screen in NetGuard looks the same. Do we do anything different?

2. How often do you suggest users download and install a 'new' hosts file?

3. Does the StevenBlack's hosts file contain the necessary entries to block the usual spy sites like Google analytics, Flurry, etc. etc. or do we need to manually enter them for each app?

Thank you for the great app.

Reactions: fraschi51

loyl1

May 28, 2015
@lenny64,

You, like me, may be blocking connections like ajax.googleapis.com, or many other Google connections. The website you are visiting may have to time out from the Google connections it's attempting to load before the web page you want will appear.

I am willing to wait - I usually do something else on another browser tab, then come back to the page I want after a few minutes. If I can't wait, I share the page from the browser I'm trying to use (Firefox or Brave for me) to another browser that does not have Google blocked, like chrome, opera etc.

Hope this helps

crazyrexz

Aug 18, 2014
Western J
amazing app, battery friendly on android 10 custom rom,using 3 hours more show 1% only in battery stats with block filter on hosts enabled, one little issue is, when it disabled sometimes the notification waiting for event is show and it running in background eating ram, but disable app is handy when it happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.