Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Could you please tell me what does port forwarding under advanced options do, when "nobody" is selected for destination app?

Can I use this to forward a port to an application on Windows computer that is using phone's internet connection by Mobile Hotspot?
You can use it for forwarding on the device only.

Omegadcuk65

Feb 8, 2021
Is it possible to filter to find a particular port that was used in the last 24 hours? The search button doesn't seem to locate by port no.

elsquare

Dec 22, 2014
@M66B - Hi Marcel, once again : so much thanks for your app!
On the issue of netguard not working /blocking all traffic on (some if not most, if not all) LineageOS ROMs as per your FAQ#51, there might be some hope.

it has just now been addressed and apparently resolved for klte and hlte devices.

I took the liberty to alert the devs behind the devices I'm dealing with (ks01ltexxx / S4 and gts210xxx / Tab S2) of this development. Hope they can bring it over to their roms.

So just that you've heard of... in case you had not, and / or they might get in touch.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all,

I have nowhere found any indication that Karma firewall was open source... ;-)

It's up to you. My choice has been made for a long time and thanks to Marcel.

ignoramous

Sep 22, 2012
I was wondering if it was imaginable to use a domain name for the SOCKS tunnel, as many VPN providers balance load across different IPs behind a domain name, therefore also increasing anonymity.

Unsure if this approach increases anonymity, but there do exists new-age dVPNs that support such a use-case. A couple that I know of (not an endorsement):

1. https://orchid.com/

2. https://mysterium.network/

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I shouldn't do that, but I have been reading Play store reviews of NetGuard. Too many reviews are pretty disappointing to say the least. People are often harsh and even rude and don't give me any chance.

There are good reasons why independent developers are giving up, which also means that big companies are slowly taking over. Big companies that often don't take you and your privacy seriously. Cause and effect ...

Reactions: Primokorn

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello Marcel,
Hope you are doing well 👍
Could you add an option to let us decide if the notification actions ALWAYS allow/block the connections or ONLY when the screen is on.
I notice that I often only allow when the screen is on.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello Marcel,
Hope you are doing well 👍
Could you add an option to let us decide if the notification actions ALWAYS allow/block the connections or ONLY when the screen is on.
I notice that I often only allow when the screen is on.
I am generally fine, thanks.

Given the limited support for this project and the daily decreasing average Play store rating, I am not really motivated to add new features, sorry.

Reactions: fraschi51

elsquare

Dec 22, 2014
@M66B - Hi Marcel, once again : so much thanks for your app!
On the issue of netguard not working /blocking all traffic on (some if not most, if not all) LineageOS ROMs as per your FAQ#51, there might be some hope.

it has just now been addressed and apparently resolved for klte and hlte devices.

Tested an updated LOS 18.1 build for my ks01ltexx/S4 for which kyasu said mentioned changes from the klte*/hlte* were also applied. Can confirm that with that most recent LOS for those S4, Netguard now works (at least as long "filter traffic" in "advanced options" is OFF. If ON, it breaks.

What is odd, too (?): in the log in netguard, I do not see any UUIDs or app icons and only ever-repeating entries from one or two sources apparently repeating over and over again on different ports. I once had app icons and uuids for a moment, but when I went back into the log a few moments later it was gone again. Can't reproduce how I managed to get it to show app icons/uuids, no clue. Any thoughts?

testoviron2

Feb 16, 2021
Hey dear @M66B

I have some Xiaomi phone with MIUI 11.05 and there, there is a option to clone app.
I did this and this app doesn't have internet connection obviously due to my NetGuard settings.
If I put an option to inform me about particular app internet access, the notification correctly shows the app name, tho when I click it, the Netguards opens with the ID of the app putted already in the search bar, tho the list of app is blank and therefore I can't allow this app to have access to the internet.
This app also can't be found on the list by any means.
Any ideas?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hey dear @M66B

I have some Xiaomi phone with MIUI 11.05 and there, there is a option to clone app.
I did this and this app doesn't have internet connection obviously due to my NetGuard settings.
If I put an option to inform me about particular app internet access, the notification correctly shows the app name, tho when I click it, the Netguards opens with the ID of the app putted already in the search bar, tho the list of app is blank and therefore I can't allow this app to have access to the internet.
This app also can't be found on the list by any means.
Any ideas?
Try to clone NetGuard too.

Note that this is not a supported use case:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard#user-content-compatibility

dev_amol

Feb 18, 2021
HI @M66B,
I am using netguard on Google pixel 2 (Android 11). Netguard does not allow to use only mobile data for specific apps when WiFi is connected but wifi interface is blocked in netguard app.

I have checked out Netguard repository from github and trying to understand the design. I see when WiFi is enable and WiFi is allowed through Netguard, Netguard simply adds it to disallowed app list. Same applies when only mobile data is enabled and mobile data is allowed through netguard app.

However when both the interfaces [mobile and wifi] is enabled it does not work as expected.

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Filtering traffic is indeed a very effective way to handle apps. Unfortunately I can not send MMS when Filter Traffic is enabled. The only workaround I found is to install Karma Firewall with everything blocked except messaging and when I need to send an MMS I enable KF. This of course disables NetGuard but everything is blocked and when the MMS is send I enable NG which in turn disables KF and nothing has left my phone that should not. It all works quite smooth but a wee elaborate.

It is unfortunate that Karma Firewall is not open source as someone has pointed out. I removed it not because of this but because I found out that the culprit here is not NetGuard but MIUI’s messaging app. After changing messaging app there is no issue with sending MMS.

Reactions: ElwOOd_CbGp

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
HI @M66B,
I am using netguard on Google pixel 2 (Android 11). Netguard does not allow to use only mobile data for specific apps when WiFi is connected but wifi interface is blocked in netguard app.

I have checked out Netguard repository from github and trying to understand the design. I see when WiFi is enable and WiFi is allowed through Netguard, Netguard simply adds it to disallowed app list. Same applies when only mobile data is enabled and mobile data is allowed through netguard app.

However when both the interfaces [mobile and wifi] is enabled it does not work as expected.
You cannot direct apps to use WiFi or mobile data. Although that isn't entirely true anymore, there is basically just one data connection for all apps on Android.

You can block/allow this specific connection for individual apps only.

dev_amol

Feb 18, 2021
You cannot direct apps to use WiFi or mobile data. Although that isn't entirely true anymore, there is basically just one data connection for all apps on Android.

You can block/allow this specific connection for individual apps only.
Thanks for the quick response @M66B . I can see there are apps e.g. Speedify which claims that they achieve the routing via mobile data or WiFi as per user choice even if both the WiFi and mobile interfaces are enabled. How true is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.