• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

reniko

Feb 24, 2011
Only domain names with the same IP address will be grouped. Please be aware that IP addresses are pretty dynamic these days and that one domain name can have dozens of IP addresses.
Then it seems to be a DNS caching issue with dynamic changed IPs (two are completely different now) as mentioned in your quoted FAQ. Any idea/proposal for changing the DNS TTL in NetGuard?

BTW: I block/allow the DNS name not the specific IP in the rules?

Thanks

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Then it seems to be a DNS caching issue with dynamic changed IPs (two are completely different now) as mentioned in your quoted FAQ. Any idea/proposal for changing the DNS TTL in NetGuard?

BTW: I block/allow the DNS name not the specific IP in the rules?

Thanks
The DNS TTL is determined by the DNS system, not by Android or NetGuard.

NetGuard blocks on domain names.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

My Android 10 settings for private DNS does not accept DNS addresses as 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) in the field text.

It seems that Android only accepts a hostname for private DNS. So it's not possible to use NetGuard and private DNS.
Am I right ?
Hi all,

My feedback experience today :

Private DNS with Android 10 :
1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com

NetGuard 2.294 with :
Traffic filter : ON
Subnet routing : OFF

Test private DNS with :
https://1.1.1.1/help

Result below :

DoT is ok.
It seems ignoring NetGuard.
What do you think about it ?

Debug info.jpg

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Yes it works fine for DoT but Ad blocking in NetGuard is not ok in this case with private DNS defined in Android.

You wrote that NetGuard has to be defined with traffic filter off and subnet routing on, to permit private DNS to be active.

In my test today with private DNS, traffic filter was on and subnet routing off in NetGuard.

I am a little confused.

Do you have an explanation ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yes it works fine for DoT but Ad blocking in NetGuard is not ok in this case with private DNS defined in Android.

You wrote that NetGuard has to be defined with traffic filter off and subnet routing on, to permit private DNS to be active.

In my test today with private DNS, traffic filter was on and subnet routing off in NetGuard.

I am a little confused.

Do you have an explanation ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
You can't use ad blocking with filtering disabled and you can't use filtering with private DNS enabled.

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
I don't understand what you wrote. Could you please give me more details ?

NetGuard simply stops (not crashing) when I terminate/exit the XDA developers app. I then have to open NG to activate it again.

The attached log is what happens in NG (I believe) when exiting the XDA app.

Hope it makes sense.

Edit: apparently it doesn't happen when I have log turned on in NG. That could be a solution but doesn't that increase battery use?

Attachments

• Log_2021-03-21_07-31-32.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
NetGuard simply stops (not crashing) when I terminate/exit the XDA developers app. I then have to open NG to activate it again.

The attached log is whar happens in NG (I believe) when exiting the XDA app.

Hope it makes sense.
Thanks for your reply. I hope it could be explained, not by me because I'm not an expert.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
You can't use ad blocking with filtering disabled and you can't use filtering with private DNS enabled.
Thanks Marcel for your reply.

So it's not possible to block ad with NetGuard, and in the same time use private DNS with Android settings.

Do you know DNS providers allowing private DNS and ad blocking in the same time ? I want to continue+++ using NetGuard, increase protection of my privacy with private DNS, and use ad blocking.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

The attached log is what happens in NG (I believe) when exiting the XDA app.

Hope it makes sense.

Edit: apparently it doesn't happen when I have log turned on in NG. That could be a solution but doesn't that increase battery use?

Please make sure there is enough memory available and that battery optimizations are disabled for NetGuard.

In any case apps are fully isolated from each other on Android, so I don't see how this can happen.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

It seems to be :
dns.adguard.com
I tested
dns.adguard.com
as private DNS in Android settings,
with traffic filter ON and subnet routing OFF in NetGuard settings.

It's ok to block ad.
But I don't know if it's due to ad blocking with NetGuard, or ad blocking with AdGuard. A DNS leak test showed that it was AdGuard DNS which was used and not DNS addresses in NetGuard advanced options.

I tried to understand but I don't find an answer. And you ?

svendsvin

Oct 21, 2013
Lost in space
Please make sure there is enough memory available and that battery optimizations are disabled for NetGuard.

In any case apps are fully isolated from each other on Android, so I don't see how this can happen.
Plenty of memory and battery optimization is disabled.

Turning log on didn't solve the problem anyway. Instead it looks like disabling Fennec as my default browser does the trick.

Last edited:

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Marsel, I enjoy your app very much (I have full pro version). Can I use multiple host files? I now use default but I think I'll need a bit more in the future.
Yes, you can import a second host file (either created by yourself or downloaded somewhere else) via the setting item 'Import host file (append)', which will then be merged with the first one.

Reactions: M66B
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.