• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Rookie1919

Aug 13, 2016
I have a problem using adguard. I now switched to a Pixel 6 with GrapheneOS which uses Vanidum browser. I installed NetGuard like always but it wont block ads. Its only on Vandium browser. If I install DuckDuckBrowser it works perfectly.

I disabled "use safe DNS" in Vandium but it still doesnt work. Because the fact it works with other brwosers, I assume the problem is within Vandium and not within the GrapheneOS or NetGuard.

Edit: Solved. I didnt activated Vandium in the NetGaurd app. I didnt thougt about doing it bc it wasnt listet in the apps. This browser is listed as a system app. I didnt thought about this anyways bc I made Adguard block all traffic except the ones I allowed but Vandium still worked. Anyway, now it works.
Update: It seems you need to let the "show system apps" enabled for this to work. If you disable the "show system apps" it wont wort anymore, even if you dont deactivate the apps themselfs.

gimetttt

Apr 22, 2022
The past days I received death threats while my girlfriend is sick, for apps which are basically free to use. How would you feel?
That's the evidence of your apps are awesome and lots of people enjoy it. No one can be really famous without receiving death threats. There are and always will be some dummies (may be benefit or compete related) trying to crash you. If you quit now, then you are letting them to win.

But since you decided to terminate the development of your great projects, I believe you have good reasons and I totally respect that. Anyway I want to thank you for all these years of your hard work, and good luck.

Reactions: maybeme2 and lukval

spokipoki

May 13, 2013
Audible is connecting to the internet even though connections are blocked for this app WiFi and mobile and roaming and app system setting "background data" unfortunately audible still connects to the Internet on mobile connection even on Netguard lockdown mode. I'm on galaxy s22 plus android 12 latest Netguard version.

gimetttt

Apr 22, 2022
Audible is connecting to the internet even though connections are blocked for this app WiFi and mobile and roaming and app system setting "background data" unfortunately audible still connects to the Internet on mobile connection even on Netguard lockdown mode. I'm on galaxy s22 plus android 12 latest Netguard version.
Probably because NG cannot block UDP connection correctly. Or the app you are using is connecting to Internet through other app.

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
@M66B
Hi, Marcel,
I just want to say Thank You!

I hope in due time, you will return to developing and maintaining your applications.

I downloaded your apps from your GH webpage.

Very disturbing to read the lack of explanation from Google concerning your e-mail client, and you have received death threats

Wishing you the very Best!

@Mk_xda22
I could pass the IP leak test on browserleaks using NetGuard (on Marcel's GH page) with Proton VPN (F-droid) and CalyxOS VPN (F-droid) with Fennec Fox (F-droid) on degooglefied Galaxy Tab S4, Note9 and Note20 Ultra 5G.

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
@iwanttoknow

Here's a discussion on the F-droid forum on how to set up NetGuard with Orbot or another vpn:

I have used Fennec browser with NetGuard & CalyxOS vpn, Fennec browser with NetGuard & Proton vpn, and Tor browser with NetGuard.
Orbot was too slow.
I *think* CalyxOS vpn connects to a Tor relay.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
@iwanttoknow

Here's a discussion on the F-droid forum on how to set up NetGuard with Orbot or another vpn:

I have used Fennec browser with NetGuard & CalyxOS vpn, Fennec browser with NetGuard & Proton vpn, and Tor browser with NetGuard.
Orbot was too slow.
I *think* CalyxOS vpn connects to a Tor relay.
I didn't see in the discussion on the F-droid forum, the case describing how to use ProtonVPN and NetGuard in the same time.

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
Hi, @iwanttoknow

I do not surf the web on my phones anymore, but NetGuard is installed on them and my tablet.

It has been a couple of years since I used ProtonVPN. I think ProtonVPN was set up similar to the case for using Netguard with Orbot.

Doesn't the browser one uses leak the IP address?
and then there's fingerprinting (device, browser, do not track, add-ons, etc...) that leak and can be used to identify a user?

Fennec was the only browser I've used that you can edit the about:config menu with NetGuard and a vpn and successfully pass leak tests on EFF and browserleaks.

Most browsers used today do not allow users to disable javascript, but Samsung Internet does.

But, I think the browser can still be fingerprinted because of customization tweaks, settings and add-ons. This is why when you use Tor browser, the developers ask that you do not add add-ons or tweak the settings so you will appear (fingerprinted) like everyone else.

Tor browser worked well with NetGuard.

Reactions: iwanttoknow

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
@iwanttoknow

I used ProtonVPN from F-droid's website about a year+ ago, and no longer have an account.

ProtonVPN users have to create/sign-in for an account with ProtonVPN. F-droid also notes the vpn service uses non-free network service (anti-feature).

I don't remember the exact setup to work with PVPN and NetGuard, except that it is similar to how to set it up with other vpn services as mentioned on the F-droid forum - SOCKS5 and ip settings.

One of the vpn services, cannot recall which one, I think you can temporarily turn off NetGuard, turn off NetGuard "always connected vpn," then connect vpn service, then turn on NetGuard.

After surfing internet - disable vpn service, turn on NetGuard "always on" vpn.

As I mentioned, it has been a while since I do not have browsers installed on my phones any longer.

Just have NetGuard keeping watch on those sneaky services and android apps.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
@iwanttoknow

I used ProtonVPN from F-droid's website about a year+ ago, and no longer have an account.

ProtonVPN users have to create/sign-in for an account with ProtonVPN. F-droid also notes the vpn service uses non-free network service (anti-feature).

I don't remember the exact setup to work with PVPN and NetGuard, except that it is similar to how to set it up with other vpn services as mentioned on the F-droid forum - SOCKS5 and ip settings.

One of the vpn services, cannot recall which one, I think you can temporarily turn off NetGuard, turn off NetGuard "always connected vpn," then connect vpn service, then turn on NetGuard.

After surfing internet - disable vpn service, turn on NetGuard "always on" vpn.

As I mentioned, it has been a while since I do not have browsers installed on my phones any longer.

Just have NetGuard keeping watch on those sneaky services and android apps.
Thank you but I'm not sure to understand your last explanations. I think that unfortunately ProtonVPN doesn't offer a mean to use it simultanously with NetGuard, particulary through SOCKS5 proxy.

3 years ago I asked Proton team if they could add SOCKS5 proxy support to interface with NetGuard, they answered no.

Reactions: jsusang

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
Thank you but I'm not sure to understand your last explanations. I think that unfortunately ProtonVPN doesn't offer a mean to use it simultanously with NetGuard, particulary through SOCKS5 proxy.

3 years ago I asked Proton team if they could add SOCKS5 proxy support to interface with NetGuard, they answered no.
It may have been the vpn that I temporarily disabling and turning off "always on" in NetGuard, enabling the vpn, then enabling NetGuard, then connect to the internet without setting up the SOCKS5. May have disabled filter traffic in NetGuard, too, but I am not sure.

I tinkered around with several settings in NetGuard with different vpns, browsers (settings, etc) to see if I could pass leak tests on EFF's Cover Your Tracks and browserleaks.

Mk_xda22

May 12, 2022
@M66B
Hi, Marcel,
I just want to say Thank You!

I hope in due time, you will return to developing and maintaining your applications.

I downloaded your apps from your GH webpage.

Very disturbing to read the lack of explanation from Google concerning your e-mail client, and you have received death threats

Wishing you the very Best!

@Mk_xda22
I could pass the IP leak test on browserleaks using NetGuard (on Marcel's GH page) with Proton VPN (F-droid) and CalyxOS VPN (F-droid) with Fennec Fox (F-droid) on degooglefied Galaxy Tab S4, Note9 and Note20 Ultra 5G.

Hi there, just saw your reply, Yes i did figure it out eventually, not using a VPN of course since I’m not ROOTed so i have to choose either a VPN-firewall or a VPN-service provider like NordVPN which I also have and would recommend Nord if you trust them to read all your data and if you trust your apps cuz now there is no firewall to block them. Regarding the solution you described well, it’s good but for rooted + degoogled phones, actually around 3-months ago I decided to apply it on my old Mate-8 running Orio and its surprisingly stable, I thought for sure it will get bricked. So it has [Netguard + Orbot using SOCKS5], but then I discovered it’s still leaking requests to Buidu (Huawei remember) and also 8.8.8.8 and my DNS ISP and a ton of others (using DNS Logger apps you can see this info) , so I added AFWall+ on top of that for those pesky system apps and downloaded all the offline host blockers for NetGuard and felt safe for some time actually 😊 but nope! If you do the ultimate test (which is rather easy to do) and switch on the mobile hotspot on your LAPTOP and use it to tether the phone data (so now ALL phone data must pass through the laptop hotspot! – well at least for the scope of this discussion 😉 and assuming your Android OS is not Hijacked by whoever made that custom ROM to begin with) and then fireup Wireshark, set it to capture the hotspot channel only, investigate the DataStream coming from your supersecure phone, now you will see the reality. So, in short I found many leaks that required plugging I used AppOpsx Xposed for changing hundreds of parameters and Adaway helped too. But the main leaked info that really bothered me was the MAC address and IMEI. So I spent the next week deleting them from the device (not spoofing them but changing them permanently). Don’t you just hate it when you already paid for purchasing the device but it still remains owned by others!

Take care that the more layers of security you will apply the slower the connectivity and less functional the experience will become, it is a balance between convenience and security, only you can say how much is enough for you. Ultimate security is not owning a smart phone.

Back to the unROOTed Samsung S20plus, well most of the previous solutions can not be applied there, I was not able to completely plug the DNS leaks whatever methods I devised or blogs I read, there was always one DNS server at least seeing my real ip geolocation and rout-traceable back to me, I tried RethinkDNS from FDROID with better results but don’t use their analytic dns (or now you will have to trust these 3-dudes) only use the Proxy dns option and forward it to Orbot and select also the option “Prevent DNS Leaks” and the option “Block all UDP traffic Except DNS and NTP” . of course I didn’t dare do the WireShark test for the Unrooted phone (I think I will find my personal photo in the datastream!) but I guess that’s about the best you can get on an unrooted phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.