[APP][7.0+] Permission Manager X - manage AppOps and manifest permissions

Search This thread

mirfatif

Oct 18, 2016
t.me
banner.png

eXtended Permission Manager - a small app to manage permissions and AppOps.

Features:

Using eXtended Permission Manager, for each installed app, on single screen, you can:
  • View, grant or revoke manifest permissions
  • View AppOps permissions and choose one of multiple modes
  • Set your desired reference value for every changeable permission

The app evolved from a shell script to a GUI for my personal needs. After a ROM upgrade or changing device, it's a time-taking process to review all installed apps for granted permissions and revoke the unnecessary ones (after all privacy matters). To come up with a solution, you can set reference states of permissions which can be quickly backed up and restored. Colored bars at left indicate reference states and make it quite easy to review packages and permissions at a glance.

Manifest permissions are those normally called permissions e.g. Storage, Camera etc. AppOps (app operations) is a robust framework Android uses at back end for access control. With every Android release manifest permissions are becoming more dependent on AppOps. So it's fun to control both simultaneously and see how they relate to each other.

In short, AppOps provide a fine-grained control over many of the manifest permissions. Plus it provides additional controls like background execution, vibration, clipboard access etc. Explore the app to see more.

And yes, the basic functionality of Permission Manager X is completely free and open-source. No ads, no trackers, no analytics. You are encouraged and requested to support the development. Source code is available at below Github link.

Required Privileges / Permissions:

• In order to let Permission Manager X serve you at its best, either the device must be rooted or you need to enable ADB over network.
  • android.permission.INTERNET is required to use ADB over network. The only connection made outside the device is to check for app updates.
Download & Screenshots:
XDALabs |
Github (Free) | PlayStore (Paid)

Guide / Help:

Last edited:

burn2k

Dec 4, 2011
@mirfatif Hi, when I start your app and give it root permission, it still says "Getting root privileges failed". What can I do?
The app is running on Xiaomi.eu MIUI 12.5/Android 11 with Magisk 21.3.

Yoannjap

Sep 20, 2017
Sony Xperia 5 II
Hello and thanks a lot for your app, so great to use.

The features that may be very useful to add are:
- being notified when an app is installed to set permissions;
- being notified if an updated app from a store have new permission to set;
- order apps by : installation date / updated date / name / number of permission allowed to app;
- navigate by app or by permission;
- set automatic recovery.

mirfatif

Oct 18, 2016
t.me
Hello and thanks a lot for your app, so great to use.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

- being notified when an app is installed to set permissions;
- being notified if an updated app from a store have new permission to set;
Paid version contains a feature named Scheduled Checks which covers both of these.
- order apps by : installation date / updated date / name / number of permission allowed to app;
Paid app contains Sort By option in the menu which includes all of these parameters except the last. We can add that one too.
- navigate by app or by permission;
You can start typing a permission name in Search Box. All apps with that permission are shown. Paid version also shows search suggestions when typing a query.
- set automatic recovery.
Sorry what does that mean?

bebeh

May 30, 2008
I purchased the app in Google Play, is a great app. I like a lot that I can remove the permissions to read/write on Clipboard. That works great and there are a lot of things that you can control. I which just one thing to be added on the future... an option to allow all the permissions per app and set a separate parameter for how long and then return to the previous values. For example... an app Notepad S app, fully restricted, but before using it be able to click an option to set only to that app full permissions and the amount of minutes, once timeout the app return to fully restricted. For now that is a manual process for some of the permissions. I love the app and hope more people get this from Google Play and support your work.

mirfatif

Oct 18, 2016
t.me
I purchased the app in Google Play, is a great app. I like a lot that I can remove the permissions to read/write on Clipboard. That works great and there are a lot of things that you can control. I which just one thing to be added on the future... an option to allow all the permissions per app and set a separate parameter for how long and then return to the previous values. For example... an app Notepad S app, fully restricted, but before using it be able to click an option to set only to that app full permissions and the amount of minutes, once timeout the app return to fully restricted. For now that is a manual process for some of the permissions. I love the app and hope more people get this from Google Play and support your work.
Thank you for the feedback. Please check Permission Watcher feature. Download latest beta from Telegram group.

doggydog2

permission enforcement, new app permission enforcement
(1) So if i understand correctly, the permission enforcement is there as the periodic check can notify or even fix the permissions. (2) Now the second important aspect: enforce newly installed apps. In this case, there's just notification? I'd find it extremely useful to be able to drop all (a la XPrivacyLua) or selected permissions (via template a la AppOps app) from the new app until it's manually reviewed (which could be never - no problem). Not only because the new apps get often started asap and do their antiprivacy stuff, but also because some lazy users will simply won't review them at all, and let for example, Facebook malware grab contacts asap.

mirfatif

Oct 18, 2016
t.me
So if i understand correctly, the permission enforcement is there as the periodic check can notify or even fix the permissions.
Yes you are correct. Both Schedule Checker and Permission Watcher help you enforce permissions.

Now the second important aspect: enforce newly installed apps. In this case, there's just notification? I'd find it extremely useful to be able to drop all (a la XPrivacyLua) or selected permissions (via template a la AppOps app) from the new app until it's manually reviewed
Good point. Actually it's no way a problem for PMX to drop permissions when it's already showing a notification for a new app. But there is nothing to drop when a new app is installed. All the revokable manifest permissions are already revoked until the user does not grant them. And the AppOps: many of them don't appear until at least once used by the app e.g. VIBRATION and READ_CLIPBOARD. Many others have their corresponding manifest permissions e.g. READ_CONTACTS, which are already revoked, as pointed out.

Profiles / templates is an upcoming feature. We are working on it.

Not only because the new apps get often started asap and do their antiprivacy stuff, but also because some lazy users will simply won't review them at all, and let for example, Facebook malware grab contacts asap.
Contacts cannot be read in background without the permission explicitly granted by the user. And even after that, Schedule Checker is there to remind you that you haven't reviewed a newly installed app so far.

Thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.

Reactions: doggydog2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    banner.png

eXtended Permission Manager - a small app to manage permissions and AppOps.

Features:

Using eXtended Permission Manager, for each installed app, on single screen, you can:
    • View, grant or revoke manifest permissions
    • View AppOps permissions and choose one of multiple modes
    • Set your desired reference value for every changeable permission

The app evolved from a shell script to a GUI for my personal needs. After a ROM upgrade or changing device, it's a time-taking process to review all installed apps for granted permissions and revoke the unnecessary ones (after all privacy matters). To come up with a solution, you can set reference states of permissions which can be quickly backed up and restored. Colored bars at left indicate reference states and make it quite easy to review packages and permissions at a glance.

Manifest permissions are those normally called permissions e.g. Storage, Camera etc. AppOps (app operations) is a robust framework Android uses at back end for access control. With every Android release manifest permissions are becoming more dependent on AppOps. So it's fun to control both simultaneously and see how they relate to each other.

In short, AppOps provide a fine-grained control over many of the manifest permissions. Plus it provides additional controls like background execution, vibration, clipboard access etc. Explore the app to see more.

And yes, the basic functionality of Permission Manager X is completely free and open-source. No ads, no trackers, no analytics. You are encouraged and requested to support the development. Source code is available at below Github link.

Required Privileges / Permissions:

• In order to let Permission Manager X serve you at its best, either the device must be rooted or you need to enable ADB over network.
    • android.permission.INTERNET is required to use ADB over network. The only connection made outside the device is to check for app updates.
    Download & Screenshots:
    XDALabs |
    Github (Free) | PlayStore (Paid)

Guide / Help:
    Thanks for a well thought out useful app
    Used it when switching to Android 11 on a new device. Was able to achieve required permission state in a few minutes 👍
    mirfatif thank you for providing this app!
    Would it be possible to use this app to forbid apps to run at start-up?
    If yes, how?
    Extremely useful app, this thread should get much more interest.

Thank you @mirfatif!

Also great to have it available on F-Droid!
    So if i understand correctly, the permission enforcement is there as the periodic check can notify or even fix the permissions.
    Yes you are correct. Both Schedule Checker and Permission Watcher help you enforce permissions.

Now the second important aspect: enforce newly installed apps. In this case, there's just notification? I'd find it extremely useful to be able to drop all (a la XPrivacyLua) or selected permissions (via template a la AppOps app) from the new app until it's manually reviewed
    Good point. Actually it's no way a problem for PMX to drop permissions when it's already showing a notification for a new app. But there is nothing to drop when a new app is installed. All the revokable manifest permissions are already revoked until the user does not grant them. And the AppOps: many of them don't appear until at least once used by the app e.g. VIBRATION and READ_CLIPBOARD. Many others have their corresponding manifest permissions e.g. READ_CONTACTS, which are already revoked, as pointed out.

Profiles / templates is an upcoming feature. We are working on it.

Not only because the new apps get often started asap and do their antiprivacy stuff, but also because some lazy users will simply won't review them at all, and let for example, Facebook malware grab contacts asap.
    Contacts cannot be read in background without the permission explicitly granted by the user. And even after that, Schedule Checker is there to remind you that you haven't reviewed a newly installed app so far.

Thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.