[APP][7.0+] Permission Manager X - manage AppOps and manifest permissions

Search This thread

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
PMX and App Manager are different apps. They do have some overlapping functionality but they do not replace each other. To better understand PMX please check What are manifest permissions and AppOps? and What is PMX?

Android 13 users have reported in our Telegram group that it works fine. Please let us know if you find any issues. They'll be fixed.

I've come up with some more questions.
1.) What are the ramifications of blocking trackers from carrier and Google play services? Will everything break? Google play services has 24 trackers!

2.) What is the difference between denying an app a very specific permission in its app ops vs feeding it junk data in xprivacy Lua? Isn't the result of either method supposed to be the same?

3.) Do you have a preferred list of permissions you like to deny to Google framework services, Google play services, and Google carrier services that you'd care to share?

4.) What is the difference between denying a permission vs ignoring it?

mirfatif

Oct 18, 2016
t.me
1.) What are the ramifications of blocking trackers from carrier and Google play services? Will everything break? Google play services has 24 trackers!
Apps using Play Services APIs may or may not break as I stated in my previous comment.
24 doesn't matter. Apps with no trackers are green. Those with trackers are red. But Play Services are a suite of system apps. They provide a long list of Google APIs to other apps installed on the device. In my opinion every API is a tracker because it can send and receive data from Google servers all the time. WhatsRunning will show you a list of two dozen plus "always-active" Google services.

2.) What is the difference between denying an app a very specific permission in its app ops vs feeding it junk data in xprivacy Lua? Isn't the result of either method supposed to be the same?
XPrivacy-Lua feeds fake data to the app. With denied permission the app gets no data. Result is usually the same. But in the latter case the app may find out more easily that its request to get something has been rejected.

3.) Do you have a preferred list of permissions you like to deny to Google framework services, Google play services, and Google carrier services that you'd care to share?
No. It largely depends on the device and the installed apps. Deny everything. Grant what is required for something to function. But note that Play Services are highly privileged. You cannot control them as you'd control a normal app by denying permissions.

4.) What is the difference between denying a permission vs ignoring it?
What's the difference between Ignore and Deny AppOp modes?

Reactions: EngineerMind

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Apps using Play Services APIs may or may not break as I stated in my previous comment.
24 doesn't matter. Apps with no trackers are green. Those with trackers are red. But Play Services are a suite of system apps. They provide a long list of Google APIs to other apps installed on the device. In my opinion every API is a tracker because it can send and receive data from Google servers all the time. WhatsRunning will show you a list of two dozen plus "always-active" Google services.

XPrivacy-Lua feeds fake data to the app. With denied permission the app gets no data. Result is usually the same. But in the latter case the app may find out more easily that its request to get something has been rejected.

No. It largely depends on the device and the installed apps. Deny everything. Grant what is required for something to function. But note that Play Services are highly privileged. You cannot control them as you'd control a normal app by denying permissions.

What's the difference between Ignore and Deny AppOp modes?

Thanks for the info. I've started to break stuff. I know this thread is about permission manager X, but I've changed some stuff with app manager and I don't remember what it all was. To restore to stock app ops do I just uninstall the app?

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
In PMX you can do "Reset AppOps" from the top right menu of every app's permissions list.
Awesome. Thanks found the same feature in app manager. Itd be great to have one system wide for all changes made in the app.

What's your opinion on using a combination of app ops restrictions and xprivacy Lua restrictions to get some of the same benefits as what I'd see with using graphene OS?

ForestCat

Nov 29, 2012
Hi, this looks like exactly what I've needed for a while now. I don't expect you to support it, but maybe you could tell me if there is any hope that I could ever get this to install/work on 6.xx? I could certainly tweak the apk, etc., to trick it into installing, but if the app relies on things in the 7.xx sdk/framework, etc., then it would be a waste of time. Do you have an old version that would work on 6.xx? Didn't find it on github. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have an old version that would work on 6.xx?
    No, sorry. PMX only works on Android 7+. There are many differences at framework level in Android 6 and 7. So supporting PMX on Android 6 is almost like writing a new app.
    banner.png

eXtended Permission Manager - a small app to manage permissions and AppOps.

Features:

Using eXtended Permission Manager, for each installed app, on single screen, you can:
    • View, grant or revoke manifest permissions
    • View AppOps permissions and choose one of multiple modes
    • Set your desired reference value for every changeable permission

The app evolved from a shell script to a GUI for my personal needs. After a ROM upgrade or changing device, it's a time-taking process to review all installed apps for granted permissions and revoke the unnecessary ones (after all privacy matters). To come up with a solution, you can set reference states of permissions which can be quickly backed up and restored. Colored bars at left indicate reference states and make it quite easy to review packages and permissions at a glance.

Manifest permissions are those normally called permissions e.g. Storage, Camera etc. AppOps (app operations) is a robust framework Android uses at back end for access control. With every Android release manifest permissions are becoming more dependent on AppOps. So it's fun to control both simultaneously and see how they relate to each other.

In short, AppOps provide a fine-grained control over many of the manifest permissions. Plus it provides additional controls like background execution, vibration, clipboard access etc. Explore the app to see more.

And yes, the basic functionality of Permission Manager X is completely free and open-source. No ads, no trackers, no analytics. You are encouraged and requested to support the development. Source code is available at below Github link.

Required Privileges / Permissions:

• In order to let Permission Manager X serve you at its best, either the device must be rooted or you need to enable ADB over network.
    • android.permission.INTERNET is required to use ADB over network. The only connection made outside the device is to check for app updates.
    Download & Screenshots:
    XDALabs |
    Github (Free) | PlayStore (Paid)

Guide / Help:
    Thanks for a well thought out useful app
    Used it when switching to Android 11 on a new device. Was able to achieve required permission state in a few minutes 👍
    What's your opinion on using a combination of app ops restrictions and xprivacy Lua restrictions to get some of the same benefits as what I'd see with using graphene OS?
    Both are good. Whatever serves your needs. And whatever you are comfortable with.
    mirfatif thank you for providing this app!
    Would it be possible to use this app to forbid apps to run at start-up?
    If yes, how?
    Do you have an old version that would work on 6.xx?
    No, sorry. PMX only works on Android 7+. There are many differences at framework level in Android 6 and 7. So supporting PMX on Android 6 is almost like writing a new app.