[APP][7.0+] Reachability Cursor - Use your big phone effortlessly with one hand

NiftyUI

Sep 24, 2018

Reachability Cursor

[XDA Spotlight review]

What is it for:

Use a computer-mouse-like cursor/pointer to control big smartphones like the Note series effortlessly with one hand. The perfect app for power users that make extensive use of swipe gestures for navigation, glide typing keyboards etc. Check out the Imgur album for short videos clips!

How-to:

Swipe over a screen edge to start Reachability Cursor. If you hold your phone with your right hand, use the right screen edge. Drag the tracker to move the cursor and tap it to click. The cursor disappears automatically when you don’t need it anymore.

What is the monetization model:

Freemium. You can use the core app for free without any ads and purchase the PRO version when you need the advanced features.

Google Play Store link

Roadmap (sorted by priority):
  • minor fixes (the app is actually pretty stable for the first beta release)
  • more Swipe Pad options (height, size etc.)
  • better in-app descriptions and tutorials
  • create demo projects for Google and OEM for Android bug reports that affect this app
  • a better tracker with a new design and animations
  • detailed tutorial for the privileged mode
  • FAQ section

Changelog

1.1.2:

- minor bug fixes

1.1.1:

Changes:
- decreased app startup time

Bug fixes:
- for rare app startup ANRs
- for unexpected negative touchscreen coordinates

1.1.0:

Implemented feature requests:
- settings to disable one swipe pad
- gesture trail color setting

Bug fixes:
- invisible trail colors crashed the app (duh!)
- potential fix for rare ANRs on launch
- diagnostic code for non-reproducible bugs

Last edited:

exquisite.nish

Jan 18, 2013
New Delhi
nice, a fresh concept. looking forward to links to test.

Edit : Downloaded and tested from play store. Working fine but like many apps its accessibility feature too has tab selection page bug (tab selection page changes from minimal to text only mode in chrome). Apart from this working fine on Mi A1 (RR 8.1). Thanks for this app, now waiting patiently for pro features.

Last edited:

NiftyUI

Sep 24, 2018
nice, a fresh concept. looking forward to links to test.

Edit : Downloaded and tested from play store. Working fine but like many apps its accessibility feature too has tab selection page bug (tab selection page changes from minimal to text only mode in chrome). Apart from this working fine on Mi A1 (RR 8.1). Thanks for this app, now waiting patiently for pro features.
I think this is a Chrome feature and not a bug :eek:. It looks like Chrome enables this "feature" when it detects at least one active Accessibility Service. I found a Chrome flag for this but it's disabled by default and doesn't change anything :confused:.
BTW: You probably already know this but you can reveal the old overview by swiping down the omni-box/url-box.

NiftyUI

Sep 24, 2018
1.1.0:

Bug fixes:

Swipe pad height & position didn't make it into this build.

Reactions: endebe

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
1.1.0:

Bug fixes:

Swipe pad height & position didn't make it into this build.
Does this version include the fix for incompatibilities with triple tap magnification, or will that be in a future release?

purplegreendave

Dec 20, 2010
Roadmap (sorted by priority):
  • minor fixes (the app is actually pretty stable for the first beta release)
  • more Swipe Pad options (height, size etc.)
  • better in-app descriptions and tutorials
  • create demo projects for Google and OEM for Android bug reports that affect this app
  • a better tracker with a new design and animations
  • detailed tutorial for the privileged mode
  • FAQ section
Hey OP I really like your app. I have two questions.

1. Is there any way to make your app play nice with Samsung One Hand mode? I have an S7 on Oreo and when I triple tap home to activate one hand mode it's disabled (which you obviously know because there's a pop-up). Would privileged mode make both of them work together?

2. Is there any way you could adjust the travel of the cursor? In my most comfortable hand position I still can't quite reach the opposite top corner - maybe an accelerating cursor or a logarithmic travel curve? I have no idea how you would implement it to be honest but it would be a cool pro feature. Here's a gif showing what I mean.

https://imgur.com/85jRPpU

The application is very cool. Price for a pro unfortunately too high...
Dude it's the price of a half decent sandwich

Dilesh Perera

May 26, 2012
Colombo

1. Is there any way to make your app play nice with Samsung One Hand mode? I have an S7 on Oreo and when I triple tap home to activate one hand mode it's disabled (which you obviously know because there's a pop-up). Would privileged mode make both of them work together?

2. Is there any way you could adjust the travel of the cursor? In my most comfortable hand position I still can't quite reach the opposite top corner - maybe an accelerating cursor or a logarithmic travel curve? I have no idea how you would implement it to be honest but it would be a cool pro feature. Here's a gif showing what I mean.

https://imgur.com/85jRPpU

Dude it's the price of a half decent sandwich
Depend where u live friend! its very high indeed. not complaining just expressing my feeling on the pricing

NiftyUI

Sep 24, 2018
Sorry, for the delayed respone folks. I was very busy this week and decided to invest my spare into bug fixes (successfully yaaay :D). If nothing unforseen happens, I plan to focus exclusively on this app for the next weeks.

Can you give a hint how did you inject touch event onto other apps without system privileges?
Is it accessibility API?
Here you go

Does this version include the fix for incompatibilities with triple tap magnification, or will that be in a future release?
Nope but I'm planing to release the fix in the next days.

1. The privileged mode will help as long as you don't use both actively at once (revealing the cursor in one-handed mode). TBH, Samsung's one-handed mode + accessibility services with the permission to perform gestures don't work together. This part of the system is just broken. Activating the one-handed mode leads to the described bug and activating an accessibility service like this while one-handed mode is active will screw with your touchscreen coordinates until you turn off the display.

2. You can adjust the speed/sensitivity etc. by changing the size of the cursor area & tracker area in the PRO version.

Main Screen -> Settings -> Behavior -> Cursor & Tracker Area

What you want to do is basically:
  • make the tracker area as big as possible but easily accessible for your thumb.
  • resize the cursor area to cover up the hard to reach part of the display but keep it as small as possible

Think about the tracker area as a smaller mirrored version of the cursor area. E.g. Decreasing the tracker area will speed up the cursor. I really have to find a better explanation for these things because it's indeed a little bit hard to understand.

great app, works like a charm, just wished pro version is little less expensive
The application is very cool. Price for a pro unfortunately too high...
I understand that the price seems pretty high for just a pointer and I already reduced it a little bit this week but I have my reasons for the price. Is there an important feature that makes the free version unusable for you?

We covered this app on the Portal, if you want to add this link into your OP: https://www.xda-developers.com/use-tall-android-phone-one-handed/
Thanks! Perfect timing :D

Is it possible to make this work with the Blackberry Keyone keyboard?
I doubt it, but I'll look into it.

Looks quite useful, thank you for developing it. Bought the pro version to support you.
Thanks!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone