[APP][7.0+] Rootless Pixel 2 Launcher with Google Now page working

Search This thread

miucio

Jan 2, 2018
You can blame Huawei for blocking other launchers since they want everyone to use their crappy EMUI lol

EMUI is blocking only launchers only in China, I'm Italian, here the other launchers works, infact nova works,only this launcer don't work, i don't know why, I hope fix it, because it's the best launcher for me. I think the swipe navigator broken it. You're right the emui launcer is very bad :(

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
You can blame Huawei for blocking other launchers since they want everyone to use their crappy EMUI lol

You are only half right.

Huawei is only blocking third party launchers in it's Chinese firmware, and the option to use third party launchers will be coming back shortly.
Huawei have also said there are no plans to add such a block to their European and Asian firmwares (that is posted here on XDA in the news section)

I think he was talking about his device - Huaweis running EMUI 9 have severe issues running Lawnchair and Nova as it's gesture navigation doesn't work properly in any launcher apart from it's default emui one.

Edit.

I'm using a Huawei (Honor 7s) with oreo and run emui 8 and several launchers with no issues what so ever - with Lawnchair V2 825 as default.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190129-215858.png
    Screenshot_20190129-215858.png
    40 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
EMUI is blocking only launchers only in China, I'm Italian, here the other launchers works, infact nova works,only this launcer don't work, i don't know why, I hope fix it, because it's the best launcher for me. I think the swipe navigator broken it. You're right the emui launcer is very bad :(

Yes, Huaweis emui 9 gesture navigation doesn't work very well with any third party launchers.
Nova and Lawnchair have many complaints about this.
I have emui 8.0 right now but I'm due the update to 9 ........

demon2112

Jul 30, 2009
ijmuiden
because it whats system acces (root) half)

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

You are only half right.

Huawei is only blocking third party launchers in it's Chinese firmware, and the option to use third party launchers will be coming back shortly.
Huawei have also said there are no plans to add such a block to their European and Asian firmwares (that is posted here on XDA in the news section)

I think he was talking about his device - Huaweis running EMUI 9 have severe issues running Lawnchair and Nova as it's gesture navigation doesn't work properly in any launcher apart from it's default emui one.

Edit.

I'm using a Huawei (Honor 7s) with oreo and run emui 8 and several launchers with no issues what so ever - with Lawnchair V2 825 as default.
do you have the recents overview and home pil like android pie?

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
because it whats system acces (root) half)

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

do you have the recents overview and home pil like android pie?

No.
It's the older three button nav bar and vertical recents.

The gesture pill and recents is not available below emui version 8.1 or 8.2 I'm not sure which.

I posted a screenshot from my device above, quite clearly showing a three button nav bar...:eek:

Last edited:

demon2112

Jul 30, 2009
ijmuiden
No.
It's the older three button nav bar and vertical recents.

The gesture pill and recents is not available below emui version 8.1 or 8.2 I'm not sure which.

I posted a screenshot from my device above, quite clearly showing a three button nav bar...:eek:
well its not in emui 9 aswell apparently the launcher of huawei is to heavely themed so quickstep doest k8ck in in his native form

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
well its not in emui 9 aswell apparently the launcher of huawei is to heavely themed so quickstep doest k8ck in in his native form

I can't honestly answer that one but I can tell you my honor 7S is due the emui 9 pie update sometime in the first quarter of 2019.
And I've read literally hundreds of posts saying emui 9 doesn't play nicely at all with any third party launchers.

Have to wait and see.

fael097

Mar 4, 2012
I downloaded thousands of pixel launchers i found online for my s9, many of them don't have the circle icons, many of them don't swipe the whole screen (you have to swipe from the bottom edge or top edge for it to work, cant swipe up from the middle of the screen) and many of them don't have the coloured google search bar with the assistant.

is there a launcher with all the features? this is such a mess

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

I downloaded thousands of pixel launchers i found online for my s9, many of them don't have the circle icons, many of them don't swipe the whole screen (you have to swipe from the bottom edge or top edge for it to work, cant swipe up from the middle of the screen) and many of them don't have the coloured google search bar with the assistant.

Liftedcorn

Mar 26, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Nova and Lawnchair V2

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2015
Sydney
Google Pixel 3a XL

Lawnchair V2 would be your best bet. It even has Pie recents support if you use the QuickSwitch module.
You can get V2 on APKMirror. The latest version should be 866

Sent from my LGE Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

Reactions: magazin kamen

fael097

Mar 4, 2012
Nova and Lawnchair V2

i downloaded nova, it looks like android 7 or something, no at glance, searchbar isnt below the dock, swipe up for app drawer appears to be pro only, its nothing like the pixel launcher. also no google now thing when you swipe right.

lawnchair v2 appears to do the trick but its still alpha. at glance collapses sometime, must have more bugs. still testing

but no launcher changes my navbar icons to default android style. is there a way to do it?

Liftedcorn

Mar 26, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus
i downloaded nova, it looks like android 7 or something, no at glance, searchbar isnt below the dock, swipe up for app drawer appears to be pro only, its nothing like the pixel launcher. also no google now thing when you swipe right.

lawnchair v2 appears to do the trick but its still alpha. at glance collapses sometime, must have more bugs. still testing

but no launcher changes my navbar icons to default android style. is there a way to do it?
Navbar icons won't change with launcher.
And Lawnchair is pretty stable. I don't think it crashes for at a glance.

Last edited:

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20

Correction.

Nova doesn't have those settings as default, but believe me, they are there and in the free version.

At a glance isn't included in nova because it's in your Google widgets.

Search bar settings to place the search bar in dock are placed in novas desktop/dock settings
Swipe up for app draw is a feature by default but only swiping up from the dock, to open the app draw from anywhere on the home screen is a premium feature but it's not a great feature and works nothing like or nowhere near as good as the pixel - and is a widely complained about feature.
Nova has Google now, you can get it by going into nova settings/integration and pressing the Google now link.
You can hide your nav bar in nova with Samsung S8/9/note 8/9 and the one plus 6t.
Other devices need ADB or nav bar overlay apps to change or hide the nav bar.

I've pointed those things out because new users won't necessarily know that, but I can tell you after 6+ years as a loyal nova user I don't use it as my default launcher anymore and haven't done for almost a year, although I keep it installed on my devices for comparison and or when people make wild accusations about certain things not working.

Lawn chair V2 on the other hand is streets ahead of nova and has been my daily driver since I stopped using nova.
And I've not had one problem with that wasn't easily resolved by the lawn chair team who are a much friendlier bunch than nova support will ever be.

Just a small world of advice, it's not really a good idea to announce publicly you intend to use cracked/pirated APKs here, as that stuff is frowned upon in places like this and can lead to user backlash against such comments and you.

Last edited:

Liftedcorn

Mar 26, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus
Correction.

Nova doesn't have those settings as default, but believe me, they are there and in the free version.

Search bar settings to place the search bar in dock are placed in novas desktop/dock settings
Swipe up for app draw is a feature by default but only swiping up from the dock, to open the app draw from anywhere on the home screen is a premium feature but it's not a great feature and works nothing like or nowhere near as good as the pixel - and is a widely complained about feature.
Nova has Google now, you can get it by going into nova settings/integration and pressing the Google now link.
You can hide your nav bar in nova with Samsung S8/9/note 8/9 and the one plus 6t.

I've pointed those things out because new users won't necessarily know that, but I can tell you after 6+ years as a loyal nova user I don't use it as my default launcher anymore and haven't done for almost a year, although I keep it installed on my devices for comparison and or when people make wild accusations about certain things not working.

Lawn chair V2 on the other hand is streets ahead of nova and has been my daily driver since I stopped using nova.
And I've not had one problem with that wasn't easily resolved by the lawn chair team who are a much friendlier bunch than nova support will ever be.

Just a small world of advice, it's not really a good idea to announce publicly you intend to use cracked/pirated APKs here, as that stuff is frowned upon in places like this and can lead to user backlash against such comments and you.
Yeah.. my bad mate .. ?

Reactions: bubba1601

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
This app is awesome but I hope we can find a way to change grid size and icons size?

This the original pixel launcher ported to work on other devices than the pixel.

The original pixel launcher doesn't have those features, so neither will this one unfortunately.

Edit

If you want those features, you could take a look at @paphonbs current work (Lawnchair V2 alpha)

fael097

Mar 4, 2012
Correction.

you're right about nova, everything is there, but comparing with lawnchair (or the original pixel launcher), everything in nova is a different size, or slightly out of place. in addition, at a glance widget is smaller and seems to be a different font. those things kinda bother me but none of that is a major deal breaker for most of people I suppose, but the main issue for me is the swipe up/down anywhere. using nova launcher I find myself 90% of the time swiping the middle of the screen like crazy and nothing happens. I'm really used to accessing my notifications by simply swiping down anywhere on the screen, phones these days have a screen that is absurdly too big, and the top of the screen is a place where my finger never goes, so swiping from there is ridiculous. I use the bottom of the screen more often but I'm also not used to swipe from the bottom to open the app drawer, when my finger is just sitting in the middle of the screen. both just don't feel natural

about pirate apks I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, you are saying that apk files on apk mirror are pirate files? cuz that's where people tell you to download stuff when you ask. I suppose that's where people put their apks when they port it or devs put their betas. lawnchair v2 is nowhere else but there, is it pirate?

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
Hi
you're right about nova, everything is there, but comparing with lawnchair (or the original pixel launcher), everything in nova is a different size, or slightly out of place. in addition, at a glance widget is smaller and seems to be a different font. those things kinda bother me but none of that is a major deal breaker for most of people I suppose, but the main issue for me is the swipe up/down anywhere. using nova launcher I find myself 90% of the time swiping the middle of the screen like crazy and nothing happens. I'm really used to accessing my notifications by simply swiping down anywhere on the screen, phones these days have a screen that is absurdly too big, and the top of the screen is a place where my finger never goes, so swiping from there is ridiculous. I use the bottom of the screen more often but I'm also not used to swipe from the bottom to open the app drawer, when my finger is just sitting in the middle of the screen. both just don't feel natural

about pirate apks I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, you are saying that apk files on apk mirror are pirate files? cuz that's where people tell you to download stuff when you ask. I suppose that's where people put their apks when they port it or devs put their betas. lawnchair v2 is nowhere else but there, is it pirate?

Nova tries to be different to everyone else.
They don't want to look exactly like all the other launchers, but they get hundreds of requests asking them to copy lawn chair, Hyperion, and the others every day.
They do their own thing these days and mostly ignore what their customers really want.
Their support is at best arrogant and downright rude to their users - I certainly will never contact them again.
That's the main reason I stopped using nova as my daily driver and moved to lawn chair.
The lawn chair team are the friendliest bunch of people I've had the pleasure to be involved with.
I'm not defending nova, I'm agreeing with many others that lawn chair is just much better than nova.

Also, nova doesn't have at a glance built in, so users must rely on the Google at a glance included in the Google app widgets - or use a third party at a glance.
Either way, nova doesn't feel it necessary to include at a glance when it's included in the Google widgets....
The at a glance built into lawn chair is just better sized and looks nicer than the Google one in my opinion.

We could discuss the pros and cons of nova Vs lawn chair all week, but the reality is lawn chair is currently offering much more to come whilst nova still looks like a stock marshmallow device......

You are confused about the APK situation.
Another user said in a previous comment they would find a "cracked" version of nova to try.
"Cracked apps" refers to paid apps that have been altered to install and work on your device without payment for the app.
It's strictly forbidden here to encourage anyone to do such or advertise "cracked" apps here on XDA.
Doing either can get you banned from here very quickly.

I was only giving that user a friendly warning that doing or supporting such is against the rules here.
And to be quite clear, apks from APK mirror are perfectly fine and perfectly acceptable to use for you and anyone else, there's no issue with them whatsoever...

The stark truth is I was one of novas biggest fans and have used it since it first came out, but if nova cannot even be polite to their paying customers or give extremely rude and totally incorrect answers to questions in their own community, whilst lawn chair can laugh, joke and have very humorous and relaxed discussion, nova are doing things very very wrong indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaggedPill

JaggedPill

Jun 4, 2017
Hi

Nova tries to be different to everyone else.
They don't want to look exactly like all the other launchers, but they get hundreds of requests asking them to copy lawn chair, Hyperion, and the others every day.
They do their own thing these days and mostly ignore what their customers really want.
Their support is at best arrogant and downright rude to their users - I certainly will never contact them again.
That's the main reason I stopped using nova as my daily driver and moved to lawn chair.
The lawn chair team are the friendliest bunch of people I've had the pleasure to be involved with.
I'm not defending nova, I'm agreeing with many others that lawn chair is just much better than nova.

Also, nova doesn't have at a glance built in, so users must rely on the Google at a glance included in the Google app widgets - or use a third party at a glance.
Either way, nova doesn't feel it necessary to include at a glance when it's included in the Google widgets....
The at a glance built into lawn chair is just better sized and looks nicer than the Google one in my opinion.

We could discuss the pros and cons of nova Vs lawn chair all week, but the reality is lawn chair is currently offering much more to come whilst nova still looks like a stock marshmallow device......

You are confused about the APK situation.
Another user said in a previous comment they would find a "cracked" version of nova to try.
"Cracked apps" refers to paid apps that have been altered to install and work on your device without payment for the app.
It's strictly forbidden here to encourage anyone to do such or advertise "cracked" apps here on XDA.
Doing either can get you banned from here very quickly.

I was only giving that user a friendly warning that doing or supporting such is against the rules here.
And to be quite clear, apks from APK mirror are perfectly fine and perfectly acceptable to use for you and anyone else, there's no issue with them whatsoever...

The stark truth is I was one of novas biggest fans and have used it since it first came out, but if nova cannot even be polite to their paying customers or give extremely rude and totally incorrect answers to questions in their own community, whilst lawn chair can laugh, joke and have very humorous and relaxed discussion, nova are doing things very very wrong indeed.
So true. I've had a similar experience with nova support myself. Right now I'm using Lawn chair and CPL launchers. I find the support quite open and responsive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Rootless Pixel 2 launcher for Android 7.0 - 8.1
    The Pixel 2 Launcher was released not long ago. But some features only work when installed as a system app so I decided to make this.

Features
    - Based on Pixel Launcher P-4623511
    - Enable google now and weather without installing as a system app
    - Fix blue folders on Xperia devices
    - Change accent color to Pixel blue
    - Add circle icon shape for Nexus on stock O
    - Force circle icons option
    - Force colored Google logo option
    - Dark theme
    - Dark text theme
    - Fixed settings buttons visible in app drawer

Here's a little video of it in action.

Install
    How to install? Simple. Just download the apk and open it. And don't forget to uninstall you old Pixel Launcher first (if you already have one).
    This is only tested on 7.1.1. If this is working on other Android versions please report back.

Download
    - View attachment 4496135 (Based on P DP2 launcher, no modded features yet)
    - Pixel 2 Launcher modded v5.3 from GitHub or Telegram (based on P-4623511, for Android 7.0+)
    - View attachment 4416379 (based on 8.1.0-4429924, for Android 5.0+)

Changelog
    Code:
    v5.3 build 22 (29/4/2018)
    - Added an another variant with changed package name for Pixel users
    - Fix crash when launching some apps
    v5.3 build 17 (25/4/2018)
    - Align all apps search bar by rounding translationY to the nearest pixel
    - Fix shortcuts disappearing in “at a glance” area
    v5.3 build 16 (24/4/2018)
    - Fix microphone button opacity in new search bar style
    v5.3 build 15 (24/4/2018)
    - Add option to use auto-theming on 8.1
    v5.3.0 (31/3/2018)
    - Added notification swipe down gesture
    - Removed Moto 5x4 fixed grid
    v5.2.0 (30/3/2018)
    - New dock style
    v5.1.1 (28/3/2018)
    - Fixed MM crash
    v5.1 (26/3/2018)
    - Added force round icon
    v5.0 (15/3/2018)
    - Based on Pixel launcher P-4623511
    - Fixed settings buttons visible in all apps
    - Almost all features from v4.0.3
    v4.0.3 (11/2/2018):
    - Fixed crash when dragging shortcuts and when entering settings
    - Disable Samsung immersive when at home screen
    v4.0.2 (5/2/2018):
    - Fixed MM crash from QSB
    v4.0.1 (4/2/2018):
    - Based on Pixel Launcher 8.1.0-4429924
    - All previous modded features from v3.2.1
    - Optimized some backported codes
    v3.2.1 (3/2/2018):
    - Fixed crash when entering hide apps setting
    - Fixed top row disappearing if 'At A Glance' is disabled
    v3.2 (27/1/2018):
    - Added option to hide apps from drawer
    v3.1 (11/26/2017):
    - Added option to remove white gradient under dock
    - Should fix popup arrow on small screen
    v3.0.1 (10/26/2017):
    - Fix crash on MM
    v3.0 (10/26/2017):
    - Based on Pixel Launcher 8.1.0-4348501
    - Automatic dark theme (for Android 8.1)
    - All previous modded features
    v2.0 (10/21/2017):
     - Add option to force colored Google logo
     - Add option to enable dark text
     - Add option to disable 'At A Glance'
    v1.8 (10/20/2017):
     - Add option to force round icons
    v1.7 (10/18/2017):
     - Fix settings crash on Lollipop
     - Fix grid size on Moto devices
     - Revert "Force colored Google logo on any wallpaper"
    v1.6 (10/18/2017):
     - Improve notifications pulldown
     - Added an option to enable the included dark theme
     - Added a shortcut to enable notification access
     - Hide Google Now Launcher from app drawer
    v1.5 (10/15/2017):
     - Add bottom margin for devices without navigation bar
    v1.4 (10/15/2017):
     - Add support for Android 5.0
     - Force colored Google logo on any wallpaper
    v1.3 (10/15/2017):
     - Fix weird crash on Galaxy S8
     - Add round search bar in app drawer
    v1.2 (10/14/2017):
     - Add support for Android 7.0
     - Add circle shape to icon shape selector (for Android O)
     - Show icon shape selector without having to enable developer options (for Android O)
    v1.1 (10/14/2017):
     - Change accent color to Pixel blue
     - Add pull down to open notifications drawer

Known bugs
    - Date not showing on L and M
    - Grey Google logo is not a bug
    - White gradient is not a bug

FAQ
    Q: Notification badges is not working
    A: Read the instructions here. Only working on 8.0 and above for now.

Q: It's crashing for me
    A: Attach a logcat when reporting issues or it will be ignored.

Q: Weather/At A Glance not working
    A: Make sure your Google app is the latest version and installed as a system app then try this.

Q: My icons are not rounded
    A: It's up to your ROM to decide which one is used.

Q: It says "App not installed" when I try to change my wallpaper.
    A: Install Google's Wallpapers app from Play Store.

Q: Does this launcher support icon packs?
    A: No. Neither this nor the original Pixel Launcher support icon packs. But if you're rooted, you can use Pixel Launcher Mods to change icons or apply an icon pack.

Q: I got an error saying "App not installed" when I try to install this launcher
    A: This launcher has the same package name as Pixel Launcher. You need to uninstall other versions of Pixel Launcher first. If it is a system app, use the Magisk module to install this launcher. A variant of this mod with a new package name is now available.

Q: I got an error saying "There was a problem parsing the package" when I try to install
    A: Starting from version 5 (based on P Pixel Launcher), this launcher only supports Android 7 and above.

Q: The launcher crashes when launching some apps.
    A: This is probably a bug in a WIP feature in the launcher. A workaround is to change icon shape in launcher settings.

Telegram discussion group: MPixelLauncher2
    If you like my works, you can donate to me here.
    Enjoy.

Please press thanks if you like this. [emoji4]
    v3.1 is now here with the ability to remove white gradient under dock. Enjoy.
    nPkSta3.jpg
    Version 3.2 is now released with an option to hide apps from drawer.

Note: This version requires you to remove the old version to upgrade. I accidentally wiped my laptop that had the signing key.

Changelog
    Code:
    v3.2 (27/1/2018):
    - Added option to hide apps from drawer
    v3.0 is released with improvements from Pixel Launcher 8.1.0-4348501 and all modded features. Enjoy.
    Code:
    v3.0 (10/26/2017):
    - Based on Pixel Launcher 8.1.0-4348501
    - Automatic dark theme (for Android 8.1)
    - All previous modded features