[App] [7.0+] Ruthless Launcher (2020) - simple yet feature rich.

Search This thread

anarchotaoist

Jun 2, 2018
Is this app open source? I thought it should be as it's based on Shade, which is open source.
Yes, I am wondering this also! It says it is based on Shade but does that mean is inspired by or is it a fork?
The licencing is not mentioned.
Shade is open source but what license is it? If it is a permissive license like BSD then Ruthless devs could have taken the code and put a proprietary licence on it as long as they credits authors - which they do.
So, the question remains - Is Ruthless open source?

eq4ever

Dec 2, 2007
Latest update `2021-02-02 19:34` seems to have done something weird to search widget with Google Search enabled.

It seems that it now searches in... Play Store instead :D
So when I search an app by name it works, but anything other doesn't open Google search results but Play Store apps matching the query.

miucio

Jan 2, 2018
hey guys I can't see the app on play store, if i try to update by browser it said that my phone is not compatible. I have a Huawei Mate 10 pro with android 10 and i'm italian, It has state restriction?

shubby

Oct 14, 2014
Kanpur
hey guys I can't see the app on play store, if i try to update by browser it said that my phone is not compatible. I have a Huawei Mate 10 pro with android 10 and i'm italian, It has state restriction?
It has device restrictions, huawei to be exact, you can install it from aurora store instead :)

Reactions: Gborg3

shubby

Oct 14, 2014
Kanpur
Tnks to the quikly responce :D, I looked for on aurora store and i don't find it, same on aurora it has a huawei restrictions?
Google search it, its open source store which downloads apps from play store servers so it's safe.
Its not on play store, it should be on XDA store though, but Google it for best link.

B2Pi

Jan 19, 2011
Its not open source and it's not a requirement either. I don't open source it cuz I don't want paid copies of my work. Its a thing where people make paid apps from other people's work. I don't charge anything for my app and keep it ad free also.
From your description:
Ruthless Launcher is a lightweight, yet feature-rich launcher based Amir Zaidi's Shade Launcher.

Shade launcher is Apache licensed. You may freely make modifications to it, but, if you distribute the modified product, you must distribute the modified source.

I don't open source it cuz I don't want paid copies of my work. Its a thing where people make paid apps from other people's work
You don't make this code open source - it is open source. You are just in violation of the license. You may feel that the justification of the apache license is to prevent people from making paid apps from other people's work (which the license doesn't preclude), but that is not what the license says. Look at Paragraph 4 of the NOTICE file that is distributed with Shade launcher.

No skin off my back, as I've moved on, but you ought not misrepresent what you are doing.

shubby

Oct 14, 2014
Kanpur
From your description:

Shade launcher is Apache licensed. You may freely make modifications to it, but, if you distribute the modified product, you must distribute the modified source.

You don't make this code open source - it is open source. You are just in violation of the license. You may feel that the justification of the apache license is to prevent people from making paid apps from other people's work (which the license doesn't preclude), but that is not what the license says. Look at Paragraph 4 of the NOTICE file that is distributed with Shade launcher.

No skin off my back, as I've moved on, but you ought not misrepresent what you are doing.
Read apache license yourself, I can legally ship the app without open sourcing it and it's not a violation of license.

According to the license I just have to mention what modification I have made and ship the product.

If you want to act smart, do a proper research or don't spread your misinformation

Hyperion and nova launcher along side shade and others are also based on launcher 3, which is Apache 2.0. Tell me where is the source code of those? Are your saying they too are violating license? I know your would say yes cuz you haven't read the license yet.

Here is a information on the same from fossa.com

Apache License 2.0 vs. the MIT License​

These two OSS licenses are extremely similar. One exception is that Apache 2.0 requires users to state any significant changes they make to the original code. They don’t need to reveal their source code, but must include modification notifications.

Legally, the main difference between the two is the express patent license. While there is some ambiguity about whether a non-explicit patent license exists under MIT, there is none when it comes to the Apache License 2.0. The language of the license makes the grant of patent rights extremely clear.

well detailed link :- https://resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/top-10-apache-license-questions-answered

Also, got more issues? Ask developer of shade launcher, he will probably ignore you though. I am doing everything legal and that explanation was something which I made so you and other users can understand, with app being free and no advertisement I don't make anything either way, but i absolutely don't want paid copy of my work and hence I don't open source my years of hard work, got a problem with it? Just don't use my app and first do proper research next time before spreading misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gborg3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this app open source? I thought it should be as it's based on Shade, which is open source.
    Its not open source and it's not a requirement either. I don't open source it cuz I don't want paid copies of my work. Its a thing where people make paid apps from other people's work. I don't charge anything for my app and keep it ad free also.
    It has device restrictions, huawei to be exact, you can install it from aurora store instead :)
    Google search it, its open source store which downloads apps from play store servers so it's safe.
    Its not on play store, it should be on XDA store though, but Google it for best link.
    yes yes, I have the aurora store, I can see your app on that store
    From your description:

Read apache license yourself, I can legally ship the app without open sourcing it and it's not a violation of license.

According to the license I just have to mention what modification I have made and ship the product.

If you want to act smart, do a proper research or don't spread your misinformation

Hyperion and nova launcher along side shade and others are also based on launcher 3, which is Apache 2.0. Tell me where is the source code of those? Are your saying they too are violating license? I know your would say yes cuz you haven't read the license yet.

Here is a information on the same from fossa.com

Apache License 2.0 vs. the MIT License​

These two OSS licenses are extremely similar. One exception is that Apache 2.0 requires users to state any significant changes they make to the original code. They don’t need to reveal their source code, but must include modification notifications.

Legally, the main difference between the two is the express patent license. While there is some ambiguity about whether a non-explicit patent license exists under MIT, there is none when it comes to the Apache License 2.0. The language of the license makes the grant of patent rights extremely clear.

well detailed link :- https://resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/top-10-apache-license-questions-answered

Also, got more issues? Ask developer of shade launcher, he will probably ignore you though. I am doing everything legal and that explanation was something which I made so you and other users can understand, with app being free and no advertisement I don't make anything either way, but i absolutely don't want paid copy of my work and hence I don't open source my years of hard work, got a problem with it? Just don't use my app and first do proper research next time before spreading misinformation.
    Ruthless Launcher is a lightweight, yet feature-rich launcher based Amir Zaidi's Shade Launcher.

Features:

Parity with the latest Play Store release of Shade. Everything, including Grids, Accent Colors and Smart Unread are all included.

Supports Adaptive Icons Packs

Choose from the thousands of icon packs to customize your Home Screen. Make it truly yours.

A smarter way to display your most important notification

Smart Unread displays your topmost notification right in the Glance widget. It also displays weather information as well as music track information and you can skip tracks by double tapping the track

Customisations? Fam, we got you covered

Change everything from fonts, icon shapes and sizes, app launch animations, custom grids, swipe gestures and more.
    Oh, you live for that minimal aesthetic? Disable whatever components you don't need and enjoy that awesome wallpaper.
    Absolutely love your setup and want to share it around? Backups, what's not to love about them.

Love News Feeds? We do as well

A simple swipe to the right and BAM! For Google's Feed you'll need the Pixel Bridge add-on: https://telegra.ph/Googles-News-Feed-Addon-08-02
    Also, other custom News Feed apps like Homefeeder are supported too.

Have prying eyes snooping around? ?

You can hide apps by long pressing an app's icon in the app drawer and by dragging over to the top right corner.
    Want to quickly access your hidden apps?
    Just type in the word 'HIDDEN' et voila!
    Still want more? Secured Vault allows you to lock sensitive apps with your on-device biometrics. (Hardware compatibility varies between devices)

Don't like ads?

We got you covered, this free app contains no ads and no feature is hidden behind any sort of pay wall.

Get Ruthless Launcher from here:- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=shubh.ruthless
    Congratulations on your work, great launcher! It worked on my A-307GT.
    Good Luck :cowboy::cowboy:
    Please give 5 star ratings on play store if you like the app :)
    App got an update today
    Check play store
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone