[APP][8.0+] [OPEN SOURCE] [ROOT] OAndBackupX - Apps and data backup tool for Android.

Search This thread

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Late ,but new update is up!
Great, just in time ?

What I don't understand is why an app that only exists in the main profile also gets installed in the work profile when restored. That only happens if the app has been uninstalled before the restore.
Only the app seems to be installed then and luckily not the data, but still it should not happen.

Last edited:

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Great, just in time ?

What I don't understand is why an app that only exists in the main profile also gets installed in the work profile when restored. That only happens if the app has been uninstalled before the restore.
Only the app seems to be installed then and luckily not the data, but still it should not happen.
I really have no idea why that happens, it does the same in my case. Maybe you can create an issue on github for it?

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
I just found this app when looking for a replacement for Titanium Backup. I was disappointed when I noticed it's only works on Android 8+. Why is that? What can be done to support Android 7? That's the version running on my LG v20.

Update: nevermind. I took this as motivation to finally upgrade to Oreo.

Last edited:

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
@OP: i took a look at this when it hit frontpage but at that time you said it wasn't ready yet. Seeing the big changelog of 4.0, do you consider it ready as a daily driver and TB replacement now?

mtshure

Apr 23, 2013
I'm also curious. I have been using Titanium Backup but it does not work anymore. I am looking for an alternative and I wonder if this app has become stable enough to replace TiBu with.

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
  1. Good to see that also data placed in data/user_de can be included. There the data for apps running in boot store data so that they can start without asking for user credentials.
  2. I have decided not to backup external data, mainly because OsmAnd stores its maps there, which counts for several GBs. Will I lose important other data then? Or is there a way only to exclude OsmAnd's folder?
  3. What does Enable special backups mean in Service preferences? It is unchecked by default.
Sorry I have to ask these questions here, but I don't (want to) have Telegram.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Does the app uninstall fully uninstall with no residue like titanium?

Not sure what you mean, but this app only backs up and restores apps + data and does not have special features that I remember from TB like moving apps to and from system or wiping apps completely. Neither does it backup contacts, calendar items or sms etc.

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
I am unable to restore a downgrade. My use case is to restore a backup of an older version after upgrading via the play store. I was surprised that even after un-installing the app, I still wasn't able to restore. there was a popup error about trying to downgrade.

Is that a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
I am unable to restore a downgrade. My use case is to restore a backup of an older version after upgrading via the play store. I was surprised that even after un-installing the app, I still wasn't able to restore. there was a popup error about trying to downgrade.

Is that a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
Whats the error?

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-12-11-33-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-12-11-33-05.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_2020-11-12-11-32-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-12-11-32-34.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 195

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
so the same happens if u uninstall the app completely and restore it?

Nevermind. I just tried to reproduce that case and the restore was successful. I don't know what happened last time. I must not have really uninstalled. sorry for the alarm.

Still, it would be nice to be able to restore a downgrade without needing to uninstall first.

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Nevermind. I just tried to reproduce that case and the restore was successful. I don't know what happened last time. I must not have really uninstalled. sorry for the alarm.

Still, it would be nice to be able to restore a downgrade without needing to uninstall first.
imo none of the app shud be able to make a downgrade compatible if its incompatible by the other app itself. but still u can create an issue in github. maybe for such situations OABX can uninstall first automatically then restore, making it easier for the user.
update : talked to the developer about it, he says user needs to uninstall first then restore in such cases sadly.

Last edited:

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
imo none of the app shud be able to make a downgrade compatible if its incompatible by the other app itself. but still u can create an issue in github. maybe for such situations OABX can uninstall first automatically then restore, making it easier for the user.
update : talked to the developer about it, he says user needs to uninstall first then restore in such cases sadly.

That's disappointing. Titanium used to be able to do it, but also fails now. That's what motivated me to look for an alternative. The difference is that TB fails without displaying an error, so you don't know there was a problem. At least OABX shows an error. that's better.

Did he have any explanation as to why it's not possible? Since I'd be replacing App and Data, how is it different than uninstalling first?

Last edited:

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
That's disappointing. Titanium used to be able to do it, but also fails now. That's what motivated me to look for an alternative. The difference is that TB fails without displaying an error, so you don't know there was a problem. At least OABX shows an error. that's better.

Did he have any explanation as to why it's not possible? Since I'd be replacing App and Data, how is it different than uninstalling first?
if you ignore the data part , restoring a newer or older version of app is just like manually installing it over the installed version. Oandbackupx does the same. in situations where installing a version of the app over another version of the same app isnt compatible , for example because of different signature, we need to do a fresh install of such app. The process of uninstalling then restoring after getting the error automatically is although possible , is probably not worth the time coding it as these are very rare. Most of the apps remain compatible generally for downgrades and upgrades.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same here, when I tap on "Backup folder" the app crashed. I'm using the latest version on Android 11. I allowed Storage permission from setting, and gave root access, but still crashes.
    This usually points out that you've removed Files (system's file manager). This app is the only one able to manage SAF and looking at the direction the Android developers are going, it won't be going away soon but will be more established in the next months and years, as apps are forced to use SAF starting with A11. In the latest test builds this is communicated better now. I think the same applies to your error @Valiante
    Honestly I've really wanted to switch to Titatium backup to OandbackupX, but always have issues. I was able to restore apps this time, but got the input file error. It restored apps ok, but missing data.
    Ended up switching back to Titatium backup again as it just seems to be more reliable, but do hope OandbackupX keeps improving.
    There's always this question, what type of "data" are we talking about here? In the settings(service preferences) you can choose the data that should be backed up. Otherwise, apps saving their data in the external storage against Android standards e.g. Whatsapp can't be backed up "fully", as there's no API to get the addresses of this on-external-storage data.
    OAndBackupX is a fork of the infamous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 2020. For now most of the functionality and UI of the app are rewritten, next steps would be making it stable and adding some features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:

• It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
    • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
    • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
    • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.

Recommendation
    A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
    There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

OAndBackupX:Matrix.ORG

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
    If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

if you have some java and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project see the following Development Document to see the goals and where a help is needed. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
    Screenshots

Developer @Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
    (I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
    I tried to install the apk on my Rooted S7 Edge and I received a "There is a problem parsing the package" error message. How can I correct that error? Also can this application freeze applications like Titanium Pro?
    Probably something went wrong while downloading, just fetch it again.
    Freeze is called 'Disable' in the app, so yes, you can.
    Release 5.0.0

NEW MAJOR VERSION: incompatible with the old releases.

MIGRATED TO KOTLIN

SCHEDULED ACTIONS CAN ONLY LAST 10 MINUTES (SYSTEM CONSTRAINT): so partition your group of apps

Added: Individual modes for apps in batch action dialog
    Updated: Choosing a backup directory doesn't create a child folder anymore
    Updated: Far less unneeded refreshing
    Fixed: APK/data not found error
    Fixed: Persistent storage permission
    Fixed: A11 support
    Far too many other improvements, fixes and cleanups (in the full changelog)
    Just tried to install and get message "there was a problem parsing the package" downloaded from 2 different places (Github and Izzy)...
    The App supports only A8+.

making flashable zip added ?
    That's one of the lowest priorities for now.

Runs smooth and fast on A7 2018 with custom Rom...

ThX
    Happy to hear, you're welcome.

How does this compare to swift backup? I switched from titanium to swift on a10 because of restore issues on a10 and now on a11 swift is working decently.

Sent from my OnePlus 8T using XDA Labs
    First and main difference: this project is open source. Second one: it's still under heavy development, performance isn't there yet.
    Otherwise, a feedback is always welcome, preferably on GH, TG or Matrix.

some questions cani say take a bckup on my redmi note 4 and install it on MI a3 is it possible both phones are rooted and runing android 10 custom roms
    In the current stable version(4.0.0), you should have the same backup directory on both devices e.g. 0/OABackupX/
    @kitokit The same applies to your situation.

Thank you! Maybe next time you contact him you can propose to make a legend for al the icons in the app. They are not always that clear. ?
    The documentation work is still secondary for now (performance & stability is the first priority) , but 5.0.0(alphas) provide already a lil bit more, and more is coming.
    I tried to install the apk on my Rooted S7 Edge and I received a "There is a problem parsing the package" error message. How can I correct that error? Also can this application freeze applications like Titanium Pro?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone