[APP][8.0+] [OPEN SOURCE] [ROOT] OAndBackupX - Apps and data backup tool for Android.

Search This thread

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Hello.

So, my new device is ARM64; old device is not. I installed an old version (0.3.5) on the old device; new device has version 4.0.

I haven't tried to restore anything yet, but, is this going to be a problem? Should I installed an older version on the new device and try? Any other work around that might help?

Thanks!
Yea, from version 3.0.0 onwards you cant restore backups made with older versions. So its better you use the older builds. Or can use original oandbackup app

wilspeak

Jul 18, 2011
ga
I tried to install the apk on my Rooted S7 Edge and I received a "There is a problem parsing the package" error message. How can I correct that error? Also can this application freeze applications like Titanium Pro?

Reactions: Walden0

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
I tried to install the apk on my Rooted S7 Edge and I received a "There is a problem parsing the package" error message. How can I correct that error? Also can this application freeze applications like Titanium Pro?
Probably something went wrong while downloading, just fetch it again.
Freeze is called 'Disable' in the app, so yes, you can.

Last edited:

wilspeak

Jul 18, 2011
ga
Probably something went while while downloading, just fetch it again.

My Titanium Pro stopped working. This time I am going to load the apk through my PC. I may be getting a new phone .. I am thinking about getting the
Samsung Galaxy S20 5G and rooting it. Thank You

mtshure

Apr 23, 2013
Today I tried this app for the first time. I backed up from an old phone, copied the files to a new phone, then when I try to restore it says "RestoreFailedException: base.apk is missing in backup". I see base.apk files from explorer app and I granted root, storage permission.

I installed the app on both phones from F-Droid, version 4.0.0.

Why do I get this error?

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Today I tried this app for the first time. I backed up from an old phone, copied the files to a new phone, then when I try to restore it says "RestoreFailedException: base.apk is missing in backup". I see base.apk files from explorer app and I granted root, storage permission.

I installed the app on both phones from F-Droid, version 4.0.0.

Why do I get this error?
It is a known issue as of now.
According to the developer these are the workarounds to solve it :

Just make sure it's the same directory as when you've done it. The directory in a Uri form can be found in any of the .properties files that you made by then.

Or

Create a new backup with the same mode, then replace its files with the ones from the older one

Reactions: heinhuiz

mtshure

Apr 23, 2013
It is a known issue as of now.
According to the developer these are the workarounds to solve it :

Just make sure it's the same directory as when you've done it. The directory in a Uri form can be found in any of the .properties files that you made by then.

Or

Create a new backup with the same mode, then replace its files with the ones from the older one

After multiple failed attempts, I used Swift Backup to move apps from old phone to new. It was not perfect but it worked.

Reading your suggestions, I backed up the same app (with different app data) on both phones, replaced backup files from new phone with old phone, then tried to restore. It gave me "Errors occured, RestoreFailedException: Could not read the input file or write an output file due to IOException: java.io.IOException: Unable to create folder ..."

I am not sure what went wrong this time. It looks like this app is not mature yet. I will come back later to see if the app becomes stable then.

goodflood

Aug 25, 2012
On my manta tablet running LOS 16, I installed OABX 4.0. I took a backup. Then, I upgraded the ROM To LOS 17.1. Now, when I try to go to restore, nothing shows. Even though I have linked to the backup/restore folder several times. The issues to provide a location keeps coming up. I can't backup or restore. I have installed the app from f-droid and also, the one in the backup/restore folder. Funny thing is, even though ALL settings are enabled, and nothing shows up, I see my apps flash for a second and then disappear. I was afraid I did not do the backup properly, but I know there are there. What is going on? Worse case, I flash back LOS 16 and try a restore.

EDIT1: This might have to do with permissions to read / write. I haven't done anything wierd; its a clean install and I have magisk latest. What more do I need?

EDIT2: The path in .properties was screwed up. I used notepad++ to change it in bulk: http://cybernetnews.com/find-replace-multiple-files/. It worked!

Use notepad++, to search and replace the following. In my case:

From: content://com.android.providers.downloads.documents/tree/downloads/document/raw%3A%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FDownload%2FOABackupX%2F
To: content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/home%3A/document/home%3AOABackupX%2F
Example: http://cybernetnews.com/find-replace-multiple-files/

Oh, before that, use Unix Line Ending so you don't experience problems, if in Windows.

For those trying, no support is provided; do it at your own risk. Or, wait for an official release.

Last edited:

goodflood

Aug 25, 2012
So, backup and restore using version 4.0 worked, after fixing the restore location. But, I have one app that shows a yellow shield, Device Protected Data, and, it is not restoring. What do I do?

Will chmod 777 on all the files work?

EDIT: Did not work... not sure what would help. Loss data... started over. App itself had a backup/restore option.

Last edited:

Machiav3lli

Feb 23, 2017
Berlin
So, backup and restore using version 4.0 worked, after fixing the restore location. But, I have one app that shows a yellow shield, Device Protected Data, and, it is not restoring. What do I do?

Will chmod 777 on all the files work?

EDIT: Did not work... not sure what would help. Loss data... started over. App itself had a backup/restore option.
The app restores backups under its own uid/group, not apps...

In the latest 5.0.1 SELinux issues are fixed. The update is already on Github, IzzyOnDroid and will neeed as usual couple of days to be on F-Droid.

SaidJan

Nov 30, 2013
Minneapolis
Same here, when I tap on "Backup folder" the app crashed. I'm using the latest version on Android 11. I allowed Storage permission from setting, and gave root access, but still crashes.

birleytweet

Honestly I've really wanted to switch to Titatium backup to OandbackupX, but always have issues. I was able to restore apps this time, but got the input file error. It restored apps ok, but missing data.
Ended up switching back to Titatium backup again as it just seems to be more reliable, but do hope OandbackupX keeps improving.

Machiav3lli

Feb 23, 2017
Berlin
Same here, when I tap on "Backup folder" the app crashed. I'm using the latest version on Android 11. I allowed Storage permission from setting, and gave root access, but still crashes.
This usually points out that you've removed Files (system's file manager). This app is the only one able to manage SAF and looking at the direction the Android developers are going, it won't be going away soon but will be more established in the next months and years, as apps are forced to use SAF starting with A11. In the latest test builds this is communicated better now. I think the same applies to your error @Valiante
Honestly I've really wanted to switch to Titatium backup to OandbackupX, but always have issues. I was able to restore apps this time, but got the input file error. It restored apps ok, but missing data.
Ended up switching back to Titatium backup again as it just seems to be more reliable, but do hope OandbackupX keeps improving.
There's always this question, what type of "data" are we talking about here? In the settings(service preferences) you can choose the data that should be backed up. Otherwise, apps saving their data in the external storage against Android standards e.g. Whatsapp can't be backed up "fully", as there's no API to get the addresses of this on-external-storage data.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This usually points out that you've removed Files (system's file manager). This app is the only one able to manage SAF and looking at the direction the Android developers are going, it won't be going away soon but will be more established in the next months and years, as apps are forced to use SAF starting with A11. In the latest test builds this is communicated better now. I think the same applies to your error @Valiante
    There's always this question, what type of "data" are we talking about here? In the settings(service preferences) you can choose the data that should be backed up. Otherwise, apps saving their data in the external storage against Android standards e.g. Whatsapp can't be backed up "fully", as there's no API to get the addresses of this on-external-storage data.
    OAndBackupX is a fork of the infamous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 2020. For now most of the functionality and UI of the app are rewritten, next steps would be making it stable and adding some features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:

• It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
    • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
    • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
    • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.

Recommendation
    A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
    There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

OAndBackupX:Matrix.ORG

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
    If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

if you have some java and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project see the following Development Document to see the goals and where a help is needed. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
    Screenshots

Developer @Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
    (I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
    Probably something went wrong while downloading, just fetch it again.
    Release 5.0.0

NEW MAJOR VERSION: incompatible with the old releases.

MIGRATED TO KOTLIN

SCHEDULED ACTIONS CAN ONLY LAST 10 MINUTES (SYSTEM CONSTRAINT): so partition your group of apps

Added: Individual modes for apps in batch action dialog
    Updated: Choosing a backup directory doesn't create a child folder anymore
    Updated: Far less unneeded refreshing
    Fixed: APK/data not found error
    Fixed: Persistent storage permission
    Fixed: A11 support
    Far too many other improvements, fixes and cleanups (in the full changelog)
    Just tried to install and get message "there was a problem parsing the package" downloaded from 2 different places (Github and Izzy)...
    The App supports only A8+.

making flashable zip added ?
    That's one of the lowest priorities for now.

Runs smooth and fast on A7 2018 with custom Rom...

ThX
    Happy to hear, you're welcome.

How does this compare to swift backup? I switched from titanium to swift on a10 because of restore issues on a10 and now on a11 swift is working decently.

Sent from my OnePlus 8T using XDA Labs
    First and main difference: this project is open source. Second one: it's still under heavy development, performance isn't there yet.
    Otherwise, a feedback is always welcome, preferably on GH, TG or Matrix.

some questions cani say take a bckup on my redmi note 4 and install it on MI a3 is it possible both phones are rooted and runing android 10 custom roms
    In the current stable version(4.0.0), you should have the same backup directory on both devices e.g. 0/OABackupX/
    @kitokit The same applies to your situation.

Thank you! Maybe next time you contact him you can propose to make a legend for al the icons in the app. They are not always that clear. ?
    The documentation work is still secondary for now (performance & stability is the first priority) , but 5.0.0(alphas) provide already a lil bit more, and more is coming.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone