[APP][8.0+] [OPEN SOURCE] [ROOT] Neo Backup - Apps and data backup tool for Android.

Search This thread

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
Neo Backup (formerly OAndBackupX) is a fork of the famous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 202X and part of Neo Applications suite. For now the app is already fully rewritten, coming up would be making it robust and adding some lengthily planned features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are always welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:

• It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
  • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
  • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
  • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.
  • And here's the project's FAQ.

Recommendation
A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

Matrix

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

If you have some kotlin and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project, see our Taiga.io project here to see what is still needed to be done, where a help could be needed or if you'd like to fix one of the issues. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
Screenshots

Developer
@Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
(I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
6.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
7.png
8.png

Last edited:

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
Release 5.0.0

NEW MAJOR VERSION: incompatible with the old releases.

MIGRATED TO KOTLIN

SCHEDULED ACTIONS CAN ONLY LAST 10 MINUTES (SYSTEM CONSTRAINT): so partition your group of apps

Added: Individual modes for apps in batch action dialog
Updated: Choosing a backup directory doesn't create a child folder anymore
Updated: Far less unneeded refreshing
Fixed: APK/data not found error
Fixed: Persistent storage permission
Fixed: A11 support
Far too many other improvements, fixes and cleanups (in the full changelog)

Last edited:

walkwitmeinhel

Aug 11, 2012
was looking this for longtime wish could backup in otg

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

thanks dev really appreciate it

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
the apk obtained just now from Github and Izzyondroid have the same md5, whereas the one from F-droid seems to be newer ('added on 2020-10-02') and has a different size & md5. is that normal? which is the link recommended to follow for regular official updates?
All are exactly the same.
The fdroid one is newer and different in size and md5 because fdroid builds from the sources directly itself. Look for the versions they will be same.

P

Pizze

Please be careful with the 3.2.0 release. There is an upcoming release 4.x that breaks compatibility with the existing backup archives in favor of Storage Access Framework and a new backup directory structure.

Test versions are posted in the Telegram group. Some common backup related issues such as issues with symlinks and pipes are not present anymore in the 4.x release.

73sydney

Account currently disabled
Okay, I'm lost, and I'm not easily lost :)

Really wanted to try this, but we'll....

Trying this for the first time, but cannot fathom it's confusing way of doing things

All I want to do is backup user apps and their data....but no way can I figure how to do it

1st try, set the filter options to display user apps....doesn't do anything ...system apps still shown

Switch to backup tab (once I figured out which one it was) still listing system apps etc

Try selecting all and then changing filter...nope, system apps still shown

Go around in circles for 15 minutes, and then post here

I've used every backup app on Android since the beginning of time, never needed to post asking for help...

What am I missing?

You all could use some documentation at very least :)

Better labelling or explanation of GUI items needed too

Cheers in advance

Pizze

Sep 23, 2020
@73sydney Labeling the icons was a topic on the chat already… and an issue on github, I think. The UI has been updated, but is still evolving. That's why it's hard to write good documentation without having it outdated after 1 or 2 months again.
Regarding your issues:
You might have missed to confirm the filter with the green button on the bottom (you might have to scroll down in the fragment a bit).

If you want to backup something, just tap on the app and select backup on the bottom of the "AppSheet" that appears then. Or you can do a batch backup if you change the mode to it with the icons that come up when you scroll up a bit (hint: keep pressing a button to get a hint what the button does). I think, there is a high chance, that some of you apps fail to be backed up because of symlinks. Version 4 should be more reliable.

Just give it a try, don't be sad, if it doesn't work perfectly. The development is still very active (removing/replacing legacy stuff, making sure the data is consistent, optimizing the performance etc). Some people tried the new version 4 and reported new bugs and it's known that the UI has some issues because a central structure was replaced and it seems that there are still some combinations of the settings that cause issues.

Maybe it's the right time, to invite some Android experts. Currently the data consistency is a hot topic. To close an app or not to close an app, how is it restarted at the end and how to keep it from restarting during backup? If anyone wants to join, just join via Matrix or Telegram. :)

73sydney

@73sydney Labeling the icons was a topic on the chat already… and an issue on github, I think. The UI has been updated, but is still evolving. That's why it's hard to write good documentation without having it outdated after 1 or 2 months again.
Regarding your issues:
You might have missed to confirm the filter with the green button on the bottom (you might have to scroll down in the fragment a bit).

If you want to backup something, just tap on the app and select backup on the bottom of the "AppSheet" that appears then. Or you can do a batch backup if you change the mode to it with the icons that come up when you scroll up a bit (hint: keep pressing a button to get a hint what the button does). I think, there is a high chance, that some of you apps fail to be backed up because of symlinks. Version 4 should be more reliable.

Just give it a try, don't be sad, if it doesn't work perfectly. The development is still very active (removing/replacing legacy stuff, making sure the data is consistent, optimizing the performance etc). Some people tried the new version 4 and reported new bugs and it's known that the UI has some issues because a central structure was replaced and it seems that there are still some combinations of the settings that cause issues.

Maybe it's the right time, to invite some Android experts. Currently the data consistency is a hot topic. To close an app or not to close an app, how is it restarted at the end and how to keep it from restarting during backup? If anyone wants to join, just join via Matrix or Telegram. :)

Hi, i will never see the chat because i dont believe in installing 3rd party apps just for support for apps listed on XDA :)
I'll check out github issues though in future

I did tap the confirm button, it seems to do something but then comes back with no apps lin lis resetting to default (paraphrasing as away from device at the moment)

Literally nothing i tried got me all my user apps ticked ready for backup, if youre saying that i have to tick then one by one, then we're going to have an issue friend :) :)

So as yet, havent even tried a backup bacause i cant (short of ticking every app, skipping over the systenm and other special items ive asked the filter to hide but it doesnt) select the apps i want to backup...kinda catch22 :)

Look im willing for anyone to piont out where im going wrong and even me made to feel like a numpty, but im a relatively smart guy, i have my full frontal lobe intact and ive managed to figure out every app in Android history until now :)

I get that youre also in the deep end currently with updating to a v4, so perhaps ill monitor and check back in when the dust settles a bit!

Cheers for the reply

P

Pizze

I get that youre also in the deep end currently with updating to a v4, so perhaps ill monitor and check back in when the dust settles a bit!
Cheers for the reply

That's a good choice. I like the style how Titanium Backup did the job and I agree, that the current mechanism for filtering is okay'ish.
The Telegram channel has a massive growth at the moment and I'm feeling uncomfortable with the current situation. It was nice that OABX has been featured on the homepage, but I'm personally saying, that the app is just not ready yet and won't meet the expectation. It's more an early access beta than a stable production ready app right now.

See ya later. Thanks for giving it a try!

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
Okay, I'm lost, and I'm not easily lost :)

Really wanted to try this, but we'll....

Trying this for the first time, but cannot fathom it's confusing way of doing things

All I want to do is backup user apps and their data....but no way can I figure how to do it

1st try, set the filter options to display user apps....doesn't do anything ...system apps still shown

Switch to backup tab (once I figured out which one it was) still listing system apps etc

Try selecting all and then changing filter...nope, system apps still shown

Go around in circles for 15 minutes, and then post here

I've used every backup app on Android since the beginning of time, never needed to post asking for help...

What am I missing?

You all could use some documentation at very least :)

Better labelling or explanation of GUI items needed too

Cheers in advance
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005-190847_OAndBackupX_1.png
    Screenshot_20201005-190847_OAndBackupX_1.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Screenshot_20201005-190901_OAndBackupX_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005-190901_OAndBackupX_1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Screenshot_20201005-190922_OAndBackupX_1.png
    Screenshot_20201005-190922_OAndBackupX_1.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Screenshot_20201005-190931_OAndBackupX_1.png
    Screenshot_20201005-190931_OAndBackupX_1.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 544

73sydney

Hi, appreciate the screenshots

I did try that several times yesterday, to no avail...

Just for you i removed, and reinstalled it just now and tried again, and success, i got just user apps selected and backup running!

Dont ask me to explain why it failed on 1st install, at times like these i like to play the "im just an end user" card :)

But thanks for taking the time to take the screenshots, it encouraged me to reinstall and give it another go, and if i hadnt i would never
have known the sweet taste of backup victory :)

edit/update:

Okay got too cocky

It got as far as VLC or 114/124 apps and has been stuck there crashed for 5 minutes :(

ybgeaz4.jpg

Hehe i got close though

Time to force close and try again...

edit/update #2:

after 4 force closes i got a backup done

on one occassion is atarted to do a backup , then went back to the app list window, with no apps displayed

ill test the restore in a couple of days when i have time

Last edited:

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
Hi, appreciate the screenshots

I did try that several times yesterday, to no avail...

Just for you i removed, and reinstalled it just now and tried again, and success, i got just user apps selected and backup running!

Dont ask me to explain why it failed on 1st install, at times like these i like to play the "im just an end user" card :)

But thanks for taking the time to take the screenshots, it encouraged me to reinstall and give it another go, and if i hadnt i would never
have known the sweet taste of backup victory :)

edit/update:

Okay got too cocky

It got as far as VLC or 114/124 apps and has been stuck there crashed for 5 minutes :(

Hehe i got close though

Time to force close and try again...

edit/update #2:

after 4 force closes i got a backup done

on one occassion is atarted to do a backup , then went back to the app list window, with no apps displayed

ill test the restore in a couple of days when i have time
Thanks for not giving up.
Make sure you keep updating the app from github/izzyondroid for faster access to updates.

73sydney

Thanks for not giving up.
Make sure you keep updating the app from github/izzyondroid for faster access to updates.

Currently testing restore - had to flash a ROM to test something for someone, may as well take the opportunity to try restore

Update:

Restore stalls at 14 packages left, force close time.....

Nope...3 attempts later same issue, althoug at different stage, different package

I suspect that even with battery optimization disabled for app (confirmed), the minute the screen goes out, it kills the restore process.

Im sadly not able to sit rigth now keeping the screen awake while 119 apps restore :)

I will keep my eye on the project

Last edited:

monicaONxda

Aug 16, 2020
OAndBackup also system apps + settings?

Is it possible to backup and restore also system apps and their settings, e.g. the "system settings" (with screen resolution, installed screen widgets, app arrangements etc.)?
Titanium can't do it for example...

Pizze

Sep 23, 2020
OK, I see, so I can only backup the system apks without data!?
Can I backup data of third party apps?

Hi, you can backup system apps and their data as well as third party apps. Just keep in mind, what I wrote about version 3.2 before.
The settings for your Android system are stored in a database of the system app com.android.providers.settings. If you backup and restore the data followed by a reboot, you might be able to overwrite the current settings database. I don't know, what happens, if you replace the underlying database file on a running system. Not mentioning the catastrophic damage you could do if the database isn't as expected by the provider.
I successfully tested the restore of SMS and call history on the same phone and same ROM. There could be issues, if you mix things up.

What you more likely want is something, that exports all entries and imports them later on restore and this kind of functionality isn't implemented (yet).

Be careful, when you test something out. Bad sytem can break your system. Also be careful, that you only restore the data. Mixing versions of different ROMs/Android versions may have a bad ending.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Neo Backup (formerly OAndBackupX) is a fork of the famous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 202X and part of Neo Applications suite. For now the app is already fully rewritten, coming up would be making it robust and adding some lengthily planned features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are always welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:

• It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
    • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
    • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
    • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.
    • And here's the project's FAQ.

Recommendation
    A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
    There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

Matrix

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
    If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

If you have some kotlin and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project, see our Taiga.io project here to see what is still needed to be done, where a help could be needed or if you'd like to fix one of the issues. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
    Screenshots

Developer
    @Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
    (I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
    6.png
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    7.png
    8.png
    NEW VERSION 6.0.0 IS UP.

Changelogs:

Added: Encrypt private preferences including encryption password (using Android keystore)

Added: Export/import of schedules

Added: Global blocklist applies to Main

Added: Ascending/descending sort support

Added: Warning text to backup directory picker

Added: Direct share button for logs

Added: Better error handling

Updated: Make backup dialog checks response to the service's active options

Updated: Use modes' checkboxes in the backup/restore/schedule dialogs

Updated: Schedule action on first day if possible

Updated: Replace Blacklist with Blocklist

Fixed: Don't schedule when disabled

Fixed: Crash when scheduled list of apps is empty

Fixed: Schedules not firing on time

Fixed: Delayed notifications of some restored apps (exclude the push notifications' ID from backups)

Fixed: Backup instance folder left untouched after backup failing

Fixed: Hiding device lock option when there's no lock

Added: Catalan language

Updated translation: Arabic, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, French
    Sorry for the absence , I was unable to stay active on xda.
    I have updated the main thread with appropriate changes.

Here is the recent update changelogs of Neo backup 8.1.2
    • Fix: Wrong default for pmSuspend (@hg42)
    • Fix: Disabled app's text color in app sheet (@hg42)
    • Fix: List item selection
    • Fix: Pref's slider text color (@hg42)
    • Add: Pref's slider adaptive steps (@hg42)
    • Add: Prefs' dynamic title
    • Update: Prefs' BottomNavBar UI
    Release 5.0.0

NEW MAJOR VERSION: incompatible with the old releases.

MIGRATED TO KOTLIN

SCHEDULED ACTIONS CAN ONLY LAST 10 MINUTES (SYSTEM CONSTRAINT): so partition your group of apps

Added: Individual modes for apps in batch action dialog
    Updated: Choosing a backup directory doesn't create a child folder anymore
    Updated: Far less unneeded refreshing
    Fixed: APK/data not found error
    Fixed: Persistent storage permission
    Fixed: A11 support
    Far too many other improvements, fixes and cleanups (in the full changelog)
    Does version 7.0.0 work on Android 11 and Android 12 ?
    Yes.