[APP][8.0+] [OPEN SOURCE] [ROOT] Neo Backup - Apps and data backup tool for Android.

Search This thread

Walden0

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 24, 2018
Jabalpur
Redmi Note 11
NEW VERSION 6.0.0 IS UP.

Changelogs:

Added: Encrypt private preferences including encryption password (using Android keystore)

Added: Export/import of schedules

Added: Global blocklist applies to Main

Added: Ascending/descending sort support

Added: Warning text to backup directory picker

Added: Direct share button for logs

Added: Better error handling

Updated: Make backup dialog checks response to the service's active options

Updated: Use modes' checkboxes in the backup/restore/schedule dialogs

Updated: Schedule action on first day if possible

Updated: Replace Blacklist with Blocklist

Fixed: Don't schedule when disabled

Fixed: Crash when scheduled list of apps is empty

Fixed: Schedules not firing on time

Fixed: Delayed notifications of some restored apps (exclude the push notifications' ID from backups)

Fixed: Backup instance folder left untouched after backup failing

Fixed: Hiding device lock option when there's no lock

Added: Catalan language

Updated translation: Arabic, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, French

swour

Jan 22, 2012
Restoring Firefox and Kindle backups produces an error "Could not update permissions for data". This results in a corrupted state where the app can't be started anymore. Tested on LOS 17.1 and 18.1.

rn3miii

Aug 17, 2020
V6 update via f-droid seems problematic (broken for me even after uninstalling/reinstalling) but the apk from github works normally, not sure why the difference...

Dj Telo

Jun 3, 2010
Hi!

I've been testing the app for a few days and I have observed that it takes a huge load of time to backup. For around 160 apps, it takes around 7 hours for me. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

bunta126

Jan 2, 2012
Auckland
Hi, I just tried your app out and looks pretty good from first look.

The interface however could use some improvements, some of the buttons/icons have no labels or explanation for what they do, which is very confusing for new users. For example, on the main list when you click an app, the global blocklist button has no description so I clicked it to see what it does and the app just disappeared off the list. I had to then figure out what just happened as there was no message, confirmation prompt or anything.

I've discovered it has blocked that app, but I can't find anywhere to view the global blocklist or to remove that app from the blockllist to get it back again... How can I do this?

I would suggest adding a special filter for "Global Blocklist" so you can see the ones being blocked and then change the block button to unblock them again.

Another suggestion would be to add sort criteria on the backup/restore page for backup date and backup size.

Last edited:

Machiav3lli

Feb 23, 2017
Berlin
I found the latest version under development has many improvements on the interface and the ability to access the blocklist easily. I guess either build from that or wait for next release.
Or join one of the two groups (on Matrix or Telegram) and ask questions or test the coming features.

Hi, I just tried your app out and looks pretty good from first look.

The interface however could use some improvements, some of the buttons/icons have no labels or explanation for what they do, which is very confusing for new users. For example, on the main list when you click an app, the global blocklist button has no description so I clicked it to see what it does and the app just disappeared off the list. I had to then figure out what just happened as there was no message, confirmation prompt or anything.

I've discovered it has blocked that app, but I can't find anywhere to view the global blocklist or to remove that app from the blockllist to get it back again... How can I do this?

I would suggest adding a special filter for "Global Blocklist" so you can see the ones being blocked and then change the block button to unblock them again.

Another suggestion would be to add sort criteria on the backup/restore page for backup date and backup size.
ON the topic of labels, most of the buttons has a tooltip text, meaning if you long tap on them you get a description of their function.

On the blocklist thingy, at first it was meant only for schedules that's why it was left there, but in 7.0.0 builds there's already shortcuts from all tabs.

For any further suggestions and this applies to any sort of changes, you can either write in the groups or create a Github issue (after you make sure to check that this wasn't already spoken about in other (closed) issues).

Restoring Firefox and Kindle backups produces an error "Could not update permissions for data". This results in a corrupted state where the app can't be started anymore. Tested on LOS 17.1 and 18.1.
Firefox has a sorta of problematic lock file. The problem has already been discussed and solved here: https://github.com/machiav3lli/oandbackupx/issues/373. Maybe kindle has the same one.

Hello, I am testing OandbackupX on my new device, a beyond0lte with Lineage 18.1 + Magisk (no Gapps)

After doing a very minimal setup and installed just a couple of apps I tested a backup with OandBackupX (APK and data) on an external SD card, then I formatted data, reinstalled OandBackupX, and tried to restore. I am not sure I am doing things properly.

Certain user-installed apps are restored correctly, F-Droid for example works and recovers my original settings.

Other stuff does not seem to work. For example Termux I can restore the APK and let it start from scratch, but if I also restore the data (prefrences etc) it doesn't run, on restore I receive error "Could not update permissions for data".

Other stuff doesn't work and I'm not sure why. Mainly the AOSP settings. For example, my PIN is not restored, the device name is not restored, WiFi acceess points settings are not restored, and I'm sure most of other user settings even though I haven't checked all.

What am I doing wrong?
OABX is not meant to backup and restore the whole system. Specially considering that a lot of data (in your example pin lock) aren't really saved in a restoreable form. Special backups (including WIFI etc...) are a complicated thing considering they have different addresses in the different Android versions and OEM-Roms, while still in an early stage and have lower priority on my todo-list than others.

SomeRandomGuy

Mar 17, 2008
Chicago
LG G4
LG G6
Hey @Machiav3lli for those of us that get the SAF file manager warning, is there any consideration to providing an alternate means of setting the path?

Trying to de-crapify my phone, yeah, I probably killed the "files" app (despite having other file managers on the system) and am not really sure what APK it was in or what else I would re-enable if I did find it and put it back.

Even if there isn't a UI for it, can't I just set it somewhere manually in a config file or SQLite DB ? TIA...

(Phone is rooted)

Machiav3lli

Feb 23, 2017
Berlin
Hey @Machiav3lli for those of us that get the SAF file manager warning, is there any consideration to providing an alternate means of setting the path?

Trying to de-crapify my phone, yeah, I probably killed the "files" app (despite having other file managers on the system) and am not really sure what APK it was in or what else I would re-enable if I did find it and put it back.

Even if there isn't a UI for it, can't I just set it somewhere manually in a config file or SQLite DB ? TIA...

(Phone is rooted)
Not really. The system Files app is the heartstone of the SAF and Android doesn't have a replacement. SAF is the framework that gives permissions to use directories and files as the app want.

I would understand such "cleaning" (or as you described it "de-crypfying") before 6-7 years where there was pretty small amount of RAM and system storage. As it looks for now, the system Files app will be having even more power and responsabilities in the upcoming versions of Android, so there's no way to avoid keeping it in your system.

If the icon of the Files app is the reason, then maybe you can hide it in your launcher (e.g. Omega [implicit advertisment of another FOSS I work on]).

Aug 31, 2021
Has this app been tested with OnePlus 8T on LineageOS 18.1?

Looking to replace Titanium Backup as the restore function is broken/outdated.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Are you able to read? Broken/outdated is a lie!! What else he was asking/talking about? Doooh!
Perhaps it is you who needs to brush up on your reading skills? He asked whether OAndBackupX worked on his device and explained why. Instead of actually answering his question you instead focused on his reasons for asking the question and declared his opinion to be wrong or mistaken.

He doesn't give a crap about whether TB works for you or not. He wants to know if this app works on his device. It likely will, but he needs to try it first.

Last edited:
So I did a wipe on my pixel 5 and loaded the latest stock rom (11, Sept 2021). I've rooted it with magisk and installed OAndBackupX.. the app instantly crash upon loading.. any ideas how to fix this?

I was able to install the app last night on stock (11, May 2021) and back up my apps prior to me wiping my phone this morning. But now I can't load the app to do the restore.

before and after wipe, both installed ver 6.0.1 from Github.

Edit: Saw another user mentioned the f-droid install didn't work for him/her and Github did.. So I decided to install f-driod and installed OAndBackupX and it loaded. Weird!

Last edited:

doggydog2

i hated TitaniumBackup's inability to STOP the operation. OandBackupX doubles down on it, can't use the TB trick to KILL the app. It will keep working (exception after exception), and CANCEL button won't work. I literally had to restart the phone to stop the failing operation.
My precious selection (takes a good 1/2hour) is gone, so i try restoring only few items for a test. Despite selection it now starts to fetch details about all apps (exception after exception), the starts crashing in loop. Now there's a list of IOExceptions and NullPointerExceptions in the notification bar (as the app notoriously shows nothing), and it's still restoring items before reboot. The apps don't even work and need to be fully reinstalled. Damn, i thought it's in beta state at least.
Looks like 3C Toolbox is the only tool that works.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Neo Backup (formerly OAndBackupX) is a fork of the famous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 202X and part of Neo Applications suite. For now the app is already fully rewritten, coming up would be making it robust and adding some lengthily planned features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are always welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:

• It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
    • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
    • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
    • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.
    • And here's the project's FAQ.

Recommendation
    A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
    There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

Matrix

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
    If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

If you have some kotlin and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project, see our Taiga.io project here to see what is still needed to be done, where a help could be needed or if you'd like to fix one of the issues. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
    Screenshots

Developer
    @Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
    (I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
    6.png
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    7.png
    8.png
    NEW VERSION 6.0.0 IS UP.

Changelogs:

Added: Encrypt private preferences including encryption password (using Android keystore)

Added: Export/import of schedules

Added: Global blocklist applies to Main

Added: Ascending/descending sort support

Added: Warning text to backup directory picker

Added: Direct share button for logs

Added: Better error handling

Updated: Make backup dialog checks response to the service's active options

Updated: Use modes' checkboxes in the backup/restore/schedule dialogs

Updated: Schedule action on first day if possible

Updated: Replace Blacklist with Blocklist

Fixed: Don't schedule when disabled

Fixed: Crash when scheduled list of apps is empty

Fixed: Schedules not firing on time

Fixed: Delayed notifications of some restored apps (exclude the push notifications' ID from backups)

Fixed: Backup instance folder left untouched after backup failing

Fixed: Hiding device lock option when there's no lock

Added: Catalan language

Updated translation: Arabic, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, French
    Sorry for the absence , I was unable to stay active on xda.
    I have updated the main thread with appropriate changes.

Here is the recent update changelogs of Neo backup 8.1.2
    • Fix: Wrong default for pmSuspend (@hg42)
    • Fix: Disabled app's text color in app sheet (@hg42)
    • Fix: List item selection
    • Fix: Pref's slider text color (@hg42)
    • Add: Pref's slider adaptive steps (@hg42)
    • Add: Prefs' dynamic title
    • Update: Prefs' BottomNavBar UI
    Release 5.0.0

NEW MAJOR VERSION: incompatible with the old releases.

MIGRATED TO KOTLIN

SCHEDULED ACTIONS CAN ONLY LAST 10 MINUTES (SYSTEM CONSTRAINT): so partition your group of apps

Added: Individual modes for apps in batch action dialog
    Updated: Choosing a backup directory doesn't create a child folder anymore
    Updated: Far less unneeded refreshing
    Fixed: APK/data not found error
    Fixed: Persistent storage permission
    Fixed: A11 support
    Far too many other improvements, fixes and cleanups (in the full changelog)
    Does version 7.0.0 work on Android 11 and Android 12 ?
    Yes.