• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[App][9.0+] Wavelet: Headphone specific equalization

Search This thread

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
Solution here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-specific-equalization.4097957/post-84605637

@pittvandewitt this is driving me crazy.

Now there is no way to import the EQ settings that yesterday it imported.
I tried deleting cache, data, uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling. Nothing.

It says the data has been imported but EQ remains flat (or with whatever preset I set before). The EQ file gets copied to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq but it's not used.

OnePlus 6T with Oxygen is 10.3.8. I attach the file I try to import but I repeat, yesterday sometimes it was imported and applied. Today, nothing, no way to do it. I'm going mad with this. :mad:

Note that the app works perfectly: if I apply the fixed bands values that AutoEQ calculated, they work with the GraphicEQ option. But those are 9 bands vs 127.
And AutoEQ works perfectly with the built in headphones profiles.

Attachments

• GraphicEQ.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

The Apostle

Have been using the app for several months and love being able to grab sound profiles for different headsets.

For the last month or so, Wavelet will not recognize when I'm listening to music... On either of my devices, both running Android 10. I continually get the little 🤷‍♂️ image and that's it.

Sorry for acting like a nOOb since I have not read the full thread. Just weird it's happening on both devices with all of my Bluetooth headsets. Jabra Elite 65t, Bose NC 700, and Sony XM4. None are any longer recognized as being connected.

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
Is there any active support for the app?

Tried importing from the files that get created in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq
Result is that the file being imported is deleted. The file stays there but the content of the file is completely deleted.

So, if I have a GraphicEQ file in, say, /storage/emulated/0/Android/Download and I import it in Wavelet, it gets copied to the com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq directory. The app doesn't display EQ changes (nor it applies them) but the file is copied there.

If I import a second time, from that path ( /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq ), the file content gets deleted and it remains as an empty file.

Don't know if this helps pinpointing the problem but I would really like some help here, I have tried everything. Honestly don't understand why this needs to be so obfuscated. Let us create setups and browse through them from a directory... I suppose this is what happens with AutoEQ profiles (don't know if their db is local or online but it doesn't matter, process is the same).

EDIT: Oh my god... I finally got it.

When you import a file it creates a "headphone model" in the local database, which you then have to search for and add to the current device in use.
So you can have as many EQ profiles as you want...

May I suggest this behavior is added to the online help? The fact that you import a EQ profile and you see "successfully imported" but then nothing changes in the actual EQ is kinda counterintuitive.

If I import XYB.txt I would expect to see it applied when imported successfully and added to the available list of profiles already added.

Either that or... or I'm stupid. Which remains a strong possibility.

Last edited:

mclaudio

Feb 12, 2010
Caldas da Rainha
Hello to all!
I use each wavelet on my Phone with Bluetooth and Sony xm4. Sound is amazing...
Altough i have fiio xm4 running Android 7...
I cannot install wavelet.. Think because wavelet not compatíble... Can i torce install or copy sound profile to poweamp hybi etc? Thanks

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
Question: I'm on Android 11 (Galaxy S10), and is there a way to get the persistent notification removed without disabling notifications altogether? It stays on my statusbar even when I'm not playing anything.

Ideally it would only appear while playing music (e.g. from Spotify or Poweramp), and then go away when playback stops.

As it stands now, I've had to disable notifications for Wavelet, as the persistent notification is annoying.

x1ld3n

May 7, 2016
Question: I'm on Android 11 (Galaxy S10), and is there a way to get the persistent notification removed without disabling notifications altogether? It stays on my statusbar even when I'm not playing anything.

Ideally it would only appear while playing music (e.g. from Spotify or Poweramp), and then go away when playback stops.

As it stands now, I've had to disable notifications for Wavelet, as the persistent notification is annoying.
It has only one notification channel, so I don't see a problem to disable it from Android settings. Your won't miss anything since there's no other notifications the app can show.

Sakete

Sep 23, 2009
@pittvandewitt So, I think this Wavelet app you created is really great! Nice job.

One nice to have feature would be to allow us to select our own target curves. Reading through AutoEQ documentation on Github, it appears that the default target curve would be Harman 2019? Would be nice to be able to select others as well.

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
@pittvandewitt So, I think this Wavelet app you created is really great! Nice job.

One nice to have feature would be to allow us to select our own target curves. Reading through AutoEQ documentation on Github, it appears that the default target curve would be Harman 2019? Would be nice to be able to select others as well.
Through the Import feature you can actually, using AutoEQ, create profiles targeting whatever curve you want. It takes a bit of studying to have AutoEQ working on your machine, but after that it's relatively straightforward.

->---

Nov 10, 2012
Wien
Has somebody a profile for the Magnat LZR 588 BT ? Google found nothing and the description how to create your own shows me an Error 1020.

Newmanl

Dec 24, 2016
Puerto La Cruz
I just paid to unlock all fractures, love this app, thanks to the developer.

I keep having a constant notification even when YT Music it's not playing anything, it does fix only after a restart. Google Pixel 4a 5G. Does anyone knows how to fix this?

KlausPactus

Feb 1, 2012
Sao Paulo
I’m a long time user from wavelet, and I encountered issues lately, I have the Sony XM3, the Samsung galaxy buds plus and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2, and in this 3 i can hear a cryppiling sound if I activate any of the profiles for this earbuds and headset, especially in voice like podcasts it’s like the audio is scratched or with interference, I use a Galaxy S9+ and if I disable the wavelet all works perfect, by the way, Samsung uses SBC codec from Samsung, the Sony uses Flac and the Sennheiser uses APTX+ that started 2 months ago and took me a while to figure out that wavelet was the problem ☹

budmerman

Oct 10, 2020
ive tried this on 2 devices:tool kitted fire tablet and lineageOS with microg.
neither is showing autoeq
can someone help me get this working?
sorry if this was answered earlier, couldnt find it

andyxo

Aug 30, 2019
Hi, apparently I am kinda dumb so I need to ask this question : I don't see my bluetooth headset listed in the AutoEQ section (Levin Marathon) so does this mean I can't use this app? How can I get/make a profile for my headset which I could then import? You all make this app sound so amazing and with my current testing I am not getting any good results :-(

So my new my phone is a Pixel 4a which like many of you here in this thread am trying to avoid rooting just to hear good sound. And ya my headset are $30 cheapos for walking exercise but I got them sounding amazing on my old rooted Lollipop phone with V4P. It is a sound so great that I haven't been able to duplicate it trying out many numerous apps & eqs with the new Pixel. I can only come somewhat not-so-close with Jetaudio and all the dsps that that app has but the oomph bass is just not there like on my old rooted phone with V4A.

So ummm, I guess this app and you guys are my last hope not to root the Pixel just to achieve better sound... some guidance please? Do I just keep testing each headset entry on the AutoEQ list until I pray and hit something that sounds good (like I did with V4A)? Cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IoQldeF.png

Wavelet
    Headphone specific equalization

Introduction
    Wavelet may be the most powerful equalizer for Android to date that doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader. It is capable of processing audio system wide and supports optimal equalization settings for over 2400 headphones. That's way more headphones to choose from than the Sonarworks and Dirac android apps combined have to offer.
    Supporting this many headphones has been made possible by Jaakko for letting me use his awesome AutoEq project.

Features
    The app features a minimal UI with plenty of options for customization:
    You can use AutoEq to equalize your headphones to the Harman standard. The graph visualizes the compensation applied.
    There's a 9 band graphical equalizer you can use fine tune the result or set up when your headphones don't appear to be available in the database.
    The effects section offers effects such as bass boost, virtualization and reverberation. There's a bass tuner option too to give your beats that little extra thump, or reduce bass if you're not a basshead.
    At the bottom you can find the gain controls. There's a limiter allowing you to reduce dynamic range and a channel balance feature for when you find one channel playing too loud or if you just want to reduce the overall output volume.

Installation
    Wavelet can be downloaded here from Google Play.
    Features displayed vary on the mode you're using and what output device is connected.
    I strongly recommend checking out the README and read up on legacy mode to help you get the best experience

XDA:DevDB Information
    Wavelet, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    pittvandewitt

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 21.06
    Stable Release Date: 2021-06-22

Created 2020-05-11
    Last Updated 2021-06-22
    First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development. :good:
    Thank you! I put a lot of thought in the design.
    Legacy/regular mode is the best solution I could come up with to cope with the finicky audio sessions design Android has implemented. If it works or not depends on the music player you use and if your device manufacturer allows processing the global audio session or not. Sometimes both modes work and in the worst case nothing might work

Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!
    The app makes use of standard libraries Android provides. Most of them are available since Android 2.3, but the DynamicsProcessing library is relatively new and allows for much more customizability. It allowed me to build the equalization and gain control features.
    Default mode listens for audio sessions started by music players and applies these effects to them. Legacy mode applies them system-wide (session 0), but this may not work on all devices.
    20.06 update rolling out right now!

Hi all,

I want to thank everybody for the incredible amount of positive reactions and support. It's truly amazing. A big thank you to the people who pointed out some early issues as well.
    I started rolling out version 20.06 gradually. It contains important bug fixes and some exciting new features, so updating is highly recommended.
    This article published on XDA covers all you need to know about the update.

Enjoy!
    Beta test is now open!

Hi all,

I just opened the beta track for everybody interested in testing Wavelet. By joining you will receive early bug fixes and maybe bugs I haven't encountered myself despite testing.
    This track is not meant for feature requests, but for helping me out catching bugs before I implement them to stable.

Joining is appreciated!
    Do you mean that wavelet is not applying any effects to any of the music players?

Did you disable battery optimisation? Battery optimisation stopped wavelet from detecting music sessions for me... @pittvandewitt maybe you can ask the user to disable battery optimisation for the app when it is opened for the first time...

Ps I use a OnePlus 7... So your phone can work differently
    Thanks for the heads up. I will instruct users to do so when this occurs again. This is a major issue plaguing a lot of devices from Chinese vendors: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/122098785

I'm using this app on a OP6t with a BT Bose QC30. Normally there is a short clipping effect at the beginning of the new songs, but it can be avoided by using legacy mode. Its a very simple and nice app!
    Thank you! What you hear is the driver initializing, something that can not be avoided.

Hi Pitt. I downloaded today on my Redmi K20 Pro and it works with Creative Outlier Air flawlessly . l purchased full package right after for support as well please keep up the great work !

Only one minor issue: When I switched bluetooth from Creative OA to Bose Soundlink speaker, Wavelet recognizes new device ( Bluetooth connected ) but it decreases volume to point of tiny sound overall. So I need to manually turn Legacy mode on and volume comes back ( tested on Spotify & Soundcloud )

Could you explain how this happens and can it be improved in future ?
    Thank you for your support! I have no idea how it happens and I'm unable to reproduce it. Do you have both devices connected at the same time? Could you share a screenshot of how you have both devices configured?

thanks hope it gets fixed, also wondering if this helps when you have an LG phone with quad dac
    That won't help. But it seems like Deezer fixed the issue, which is great.

Please read the readme in the op... The player has to send the broadcast for wavelet to detect... Maybe Plex amp doesn't send a broadcast
    Your assumption is correct. A feature request to the developers of Plexamp was made about a month ago.

I don't know how but wavelet has started detecting the headphones I use... Have noticed it for the first time... Will keep you posted...

PS I'm using an OnePlus 7 with OOS open beta 15
    I know how :)