• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App][9.0+] Wavelet: Headphone specific equalization

Search This thread

Agent Lu

Jun 27, 2021
Oppo Realme 3
Redmi Note 10
Auto eq is missing after switching to crdroid on my Redmi note 10. Anyone else having this issue? I've already granted dump permission via adb still nothing.
Anyone knows how to get around this?

Edit: fixed it by unpairing my earbuds

Last edited:

pittvandewitt

Mar 11, 2012
Nijmegen
Thanks, what about Narsil (working on my android 10 based LOS17.1)?
I tried installing Ainur Narsil via magisk and Wavelet.
But, this combination forces Poweramp to 16bit 48khz fixed output, instead of my usual standard setting of 24bit 44.1khz.
Is it normal?
Same happening even if i disable from magisk the Narsil module and reboot...
Looks like Wavelet force 16 bit and upsampling to 48khz.
Anyone confirm?
Thanks
Wavelet does not perform any downsampling or upsampling.
A while ago I purchased the pro version, to support the developer and for the reverb and virtualization settings. Using those two settings seemed to make no difference to the sound and I found this topic with many similar posts reporting that it does not work at all on some devices because of the Android API on those. I myself use a Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F) with stock Android 9.

Is there any perspective to use something of that sort on my device? Any chance this will ever be supported by Wavelet, or is there otherwise any software out there that would allow me to set specifically a reverb effect on the S8? I know of the stock Android setting which sounds very aggressive/strong and unfortunately can only be toggled between on and off, and of Viper4Android, which requires a rooted system for installation.

In fact; if that is not too off-topic, I would even be willing to do that [root the device], but as far as I have seen all root procedures for the S8 involve a device reset, and I am not sure if I can back it up such that there will be no data loss. Any hints in that direction would also be appreciated.
Current beta version includes a fix for virtualization over Bluetooth connections. For more suggestions, please head over to the troubleshooting page pittvandewitt.github.io/Wavelet/Troubleshooting
Is there any active support for the app?

Tried importing from the files that get created in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq
Result is that the file being imported is deleted. The file stays there but the content of the file is completely deleted.

So, if I have a GraphicEQ file in, say, /storage/emulated/0/Android/Download and I import it in Wavelet, it gets copied to the com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq directory. The app doesn't display EQ changes (nor it applies them) but the file is copied there.

If I import a second time, from that path ( /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.wavelet/files/AutoEq ), the file content gets deleted and it remains as an empty file.

Don't know if this helps pinpointing the problem but I would really like some help here, I have tried everything. Honestly don't understand why this needs to be so obfuscated. Let us create setups and browse through them from a directory... I suppose this is what happens with AutoEQ profiles (don't know if their db is local or online but it doesn't matter, process is the same).

EDIT: Oh my god... I finally got it.

When you import a file it creates a "headphone model" in the local database, which you then have to search for and add to the current device in use.
So you can have as many EQ profiles as you want...

May I suggest this behavior is added to the online help? The fact that you import a EQ profile and you see "successfully imported" but then nothing changes in the actual EQ is kinda counterintuitive.

If I import XYB.txt I would expect to see it applied when imported successfully and added to the available list of profiles already added.

Either that or... or I'm stupid. Which remains a strong possibility.
I noticed your feedback and changed the behaviour with the 21.06 update. Imported files are now added directly.
I just paid to unlock all fractures, love this app, thanks to the developer.

I keep having a constant notification even when YT Music it's not playing anything, it does fix only after a restart. Google Pixel 4a 5G. Does anyone knows how to fix this?
YT Music has some issues with sessions not closing automatically, which causes the issue you experience. You could try enhanced session detection to workaround this behaviour.
I’m a long time user from wavelet, and I encountered issues lately, I have the Sony XM3, the Samsung galaxy buds plus and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2, and in this 3 i can hear a cryppiling sound if I activate any of the profiles for this earbuds and headset, especially in voice like podcasts it’s like the audio is scratched or with interference, I use a Galaxy S9+ and if I disable the wavelet all works perfect, by the way, Samsung uses SBC codec from Samsung, the Sony uses Flac and the Sennheiser uses APTX+ that started 2 months ago and took me a while to figure out that wavelet was the problem ☹
Try enabling the limiter in Wavelet. You can also try to change the UHQ upscaler to Bit upscaling only in your system settings to avoid clipping issues.
Is there a way to automatically dismiss the app once no player app is running (ie. Spotify, YouTube, etc.) ?
Before the update after closing, say Spotify, Wavelet would automatically shutdown, too. It now remains active in the Notification area and I have to manually open the app and turn it off.

Thank you.

Reactions: TheNik04

TheNik04

Feb 13, 2021
Current beta version includes a fix for virtualization over Bluetooth connections. For more suggestions, please head over to the troubleshooting page pittvandewitt.github.io/Wavelet/Troubleshooting
Hey, that's amazing, thank you so much for working on this! At first I enabled it and it seemed to only mess up my left/right balance, I couldn't hear a difference except for the right channel being much quieter. Headed to the troubleshooting page and switched the audio sampling from 96kHz and LDAC codec to 48kHz and SBC codec - and it started working! I believe I briefly heard it work with a different combination of these settings as well, I'll have to experiment some more.
The reverb effects still don't do anything, but IIRC it has been mentioned before that they are simply not available on my device. (Galaxy S8, Android 9, with Spotify.)

Thank you very much for creating this amazing app!

keeganthevegan

Sep 6, 2021
WOW!!! I'm proper happy now... this app has completely changed my Earfun free pro earbuds! They were heavily bass tuned and i tend to repeat Pantera like its still 1991... There's no auto eq for my model and i didn't like the auto eq for the oluv tuned version of my buds. So i played around until i settled for the eq profile for the FIIl T1x and now they sound absolutely banging! I actually cant believe how good they sound... Hands down best app if you own these buds

Reactions: Newmanl

h1a8

Dec 8, 2010
I'm having problems. The eq and other options are gone (dissapeared). I don't know how to get them back. At first I'll have this problem and the eq and other options would pop back in later. Now, they are not popping back up ever. I paid for ALL the extra features.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
I'm having problems. The eq and other options are gone (dissapeared). I don't know how to get them back. At first I'll have this problem and the eq and other options would pop back in later. Now, they are not popping back up ever. I paid for ALL the extra features.
What music player are you using?
Did you grant both permissions?

Reactions: shaggyskunk

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
Apple music. The first permissions seems complicated. Do i need a computer for that one?
If you check the help section inside Wavelet it will lead you to this site:
There you'll find a list of supported/not supported players.
I can't see Apple music there so you will have to try if it works and if not you can post a bug report incl. log) on their GitHub page:
For the DUMP permission you need a PC with Chrome installed (also explained on the help site, see attached screenshot). Not too complicated.
When both permissions are granted Wavelet will be able to detect a music session by itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_124032.jpg
    IMG_20211002_124032.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 38

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
If you check the help section inside Wavelet it will lead you to this site:
There you'll find a list of supported/not supported players.
I can't see Apple music there so you will have to try if it works and if not you can post a bug report incl. log) on their GitHub page:
For the DUMP permission you need a PC with Chrome installed (also explained on the help site, see attached screenshot). Not too complicated.
When both permissions are granted Wavelet will be able to detect a music session by itself.
Don't know if it's possible / already available - But it'd be great if adb permission could be granted using Shizuku.

Reactions: Wolfcity

evh5150ni

May 10, 2015
Everything has also stopped working for me, even in legacy mode. This includes YouTube, Spotify and Poweramp. DUMP and notifications permissions checked; MusicFX fix applied in Poweramp.

I am using MIUI but have turned off battery saver for Wavelet.

Last edited:

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suddenly noticed that I seem to have lost the bass boost option as can be seen from the attached screen shot. Running Android 11, enhanced permissions are both enabled. Reinstalling wavelet didn't resolve the issue. Anyone any what might have gone wrong or how to troubleshoot this specific issue? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Same music source as before? It depends on the source (players like Poweramp, YouTube, Spotify) which settings are available.
    @Wolfcity. Thanks for trying to help. I didn't know that. I'm using Spotify and Musicolet and both are without Bass Boost. Do you use Spotify and, if so, does it show you Bass Boost?
    I'm on the 21.03 version because I had some problems with the newer builds.
    For Spotify I have to set it to Legacy mode to have bass boost and any settings at all.
    For musicolet check this troubleshooting site (wavelet app -> help) :

It all depends to the device you're using in combination with the audio source.
    IoQldeF.png

Wavelet
    Headphone specific equalization

Introduction
    Wavelet may be the most powerful equalizer for Android to date that doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader. It is capable of processing audio system wide and supports optimal equalization settings for over 2400 headphones. That's way more headphones to choose from than the Sonarworks and Dirac android apps combined have to offer.
    Supporting this many headphones has been made possible by Jaakko for letting me use his awesome AutoEq project.

Features
    The app features a minimal UI with plenty of options for customization:
    You can use AutoEq to equalize your headphones to the Harman standard. The graph visualizes the compensation applied.
    There's a 9 band graphical equalizer you can use fine tune the result or set up when your headphones don't appear to be available in the database.
    The effects section offers effects such as bass boost, virtualization and reverberation. There's a bass tuner option too to give your beats that little extra thump, or reduce bass if you're not a basshead.
    At the bottom you can find the gain controls. There's a limiter allowing you to reduce dynamic range and a channel balance feature for when you find one channel playing too loud or if you just want to reduce the overall output volume.

Installation
    Wavelet can be downloaded here from Google Play.
    Features displayed vary on the mode you're using and what output device is connected.
    I strongly recommend checking out the README and read up on legacy mode to help you get the best experience

XDA:DevDB Information
    Wavelet, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    pittvandewitt

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 21.08
    Stable Release Date: 2021-08-17

Created 2020-05-11
    Last Updated 2021-08-17
    First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development. :good:
    Thank you! I put a lot of thought in the design.
    Legacy/regular mode is the best solution I could come up with to cope with the finicky audio sessions design Android has implemented. If it works or not depends on the music player you use and if your device manufacturer allows processing the global audio session or not. Sometimes both modes work and in the worst case nothing might work

Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!
    The app makes use of standard libraries Android provides. Most of them are available since Android 2.3, but the DynamicsProcessing library is relatively new and allows for much more customizability. It allowed me to build the equalization and gain control features.
    Default mode listens for audio sessions started by music players and applies these effects to them. Legacy mode applies them system-wide (session 0), but this may not work on all devices.
    20.06 update rolling out right now!

Hi all,

I want to thank everybody for the incredible amount of positive reactions and support. It's truly amazing. A big thank you to the people who pointed out some early issues as well.
    I started rolling out version 20.06 gradually. It contains important bug fixes and some exciting new features, so updating is highly recommended.
    This article published on XDA covers all you need to know about the update.

Enjoy!
    Beta test is now open!

Hi all,

I just opened the beta track for everybody interested in testing Wavelet. By joining you will receive early bug fixes and maybe bugs I haven't encountered myself despite testing.
    This track is not meant for feature requests, but for helping me out catching bugs before I implement them to stable.

Joining is appreciated!
    Do you mean that wavelet is not applying any effects to any of the music players?

Did you disable battery optimisation? Battery optimisation stopped wavelet from detecting music sessions for me... @pittvandewitt maybe you can ask the user to disable battery optimisation for the app when it is opened for the first time...

Ps I use a OnePlus 7... So your phone can work differently
    Thanks for the heads up. I will instruct users to do so when this occurs again. This is a major issue plaguing a lot of devices from Chinese vendors: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/122098785

I'm using this app on a OP6t with a BT Bose QC30. Normally there is a short clipping effect at the beginning of the new songs, but it can be avoided by using legacy mode. Its a very simple and nice app!
    Thank you! What you hear is the driver initializing, something that can not be avoided.

Hi Pitt. I downloaded today on my Redmi K20 Pro and it works with Creative Outlier Air flawlessly . l purchased full package right after for support as well please keep up the great work !

Only one minor issue: When I switched bluetooth from Creative OA to Bose Soundlink speaker, Wavelet recognizes new device ( Bluetooth connected ) but it decreases volume to point of tiny sound overall. So I need to manually turn Legacy mode on and volume comes back ( tested on Spotify & Soundcloud )

Could you explain how this happens and can it be improved in future ?
    Thank you for your support! I have no idea how it happens and I'm unable to reproduce it. Do you have both devices connected at the same time? Could you share a screenshot of how you have both devices configured?

thanks hope it gets fixed, also wondering if this helps when you have an LG phone with quad dac
    That won't help. But it seems like Deezer fixed the issue, which is great.

Please read the readme in the op... The player has to send the broadcast for wavelet to detect... Maybe Plex amp doesn't send a broadcast
    Your assumption is correct. A feature request to the developers of Plexamp was made about a month ago.

I don't know how but wavelet has started detecting the headphones I use... Have noticed it for the first time... Will keep you posted...

PS I'm using an OnePlus 7 with OOS open beta 15
    I know how :)