[App] Advanced Network Caller ID - Updated v.6!

Search This thread

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
mainimage.png

Update 9/30/2009 - Fixes, added functionality, and program your own call providers!

I wanted to share a program I've been working on - it's basically an enhanced Caller ID. On incoming SMS or phone calls a window pops up that displays,

- The full name of caller
- Address of caller with a map link
- The number of FTC and caller complaints (to tell if it’s a spam call)
- Telco name and location (can tell what carrier the call is from)
- Relatives of caller (with age!)
- Criminal History

I've also added the ability to add the caller to the contacts book, return the call, and look at past calls. A standalone GUI to run alone and lookup past calls can also be used.

As of v .6, you can make your own call information providers for NetCallerID (and I need help/looking for people to help write providers for international support.). Documentation/HOWTO make a call information provider can be found at
http://www.netcallerid.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=5

Looking for suggestions, changes, additions - definitely let me know and I will happily (and quickly) add them. You can reach me at [email protected]

Release Notes --

- NetCallerID waits until the call is answered or finished before doing the network calls. For the most part, the network connection is unavailable until the phone call is ended.
- If roaming is enabled NetCallerID waits until your out of roaming.
- All history of calls are in the program files\netcallerid\calllogs directory in html format. You can view these with Opera or Pocket IE.
- The setup automatically starts the program. I also put it in \Windows\Startup to start when you re-start the phone.

Download:
http://www.netcallerid.com/get

Instructions:

Just download the cab and run it on the device. It will automatically start and also start on reset. For the msi, install it on the PC, it will be added to your phone when you connect it to the PC. Go under programs and click the netcallerid icon to run the standalone GUI.

This is very alpha. Pre alpha even. I'm not liable for anything, run at your own risk, etc etc etc

Prerequisites

-WM5 or 6/6.1 with CF 3.5

Changes for v .6

- added vCard NetCallerID extensions for caller information providers
- added a SMS Reply
- added a 'check for updates' option
- fixed some gui issues for lower res wm devices
- updated whitepages provider to obtain more call information
- updated configuration GUI for programmable call information providers
- added more information to status window in standalone

Changes for v .5

- extended API.
- updated GUI
- better support for all wm platforms
- numerous bug fixes

Changes for v .4

- UI changes to work on all WM phones and resolutions (including QVGA 320x320)

Changes for v .3

- Added logic to the add to contacts where if name is in address book prompt/don't add.
- A full standalone app has been added where you can lookup past calls.
- Added the program to the programs list.
- Numerous bug fixes
- SMS is now turned off by default. Some people were getting Very.Bad results where SMS messages were being swallowed. I *think* it should be fixed but unsure, it's something in the SMS .net interception library. If you really want SMS turn it on under config, do a soft reset, and if you see your not getting SMS messages immed. uninstall and let me know!
- added whitepages.com lookups
-

Changes for v .2

- Fixed install to storage device errors
- Fixed the configuration GUI
- Added MSI installer

TODO
/* TODO:
- display maps (from google or live) if address if found
- standalone also has the ability to go through past calls and select one to lookup DONE 3/25/2009
- standalone will have the ability to enter a # and do a lookup on demand.
- use NLog for debug logging DONE 3/25/2009
- adding an address book should lookup if name is already in address book. if it is, don't add. DONE 3/23/2009
- ability to automatically add contact to addressbook automatically and silently (Thanks agentdr8)
- send callerid output to the computer via bluetooth or network sockets
- apptodate support (thanks ShadowDrake)
- 320x320 resolution support DONE 4/15/2009
- ability to add a whitelist of calls to not lookup
- ability to go through address book and do lookups
- WM6 branding - http://download.microsoft.com/downl... for WM 6 Standard_Handbook_May2007_final.pdf
- icon to disable incoming SMS and/or calls at the bottom of the interceptor GUI
- add whitepages.com support (thanks CLShortFuse) DONE 3/25/2009
*/

Last edited:

kusbainian

Dec 8, 2008
- NetCallerID waits until the call is answered or finished before doing the network calls. For the most part, the network connection is unavailable until the phone call is ended.

Just to needed some clarification the additional information would not be available until after the call has been accepted?

Anyway of doing this lookup if only the name is not your contact list already? or manually providing it a number to see the information on it?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
I'm gonna try this....

One Question...where is the app going to get all this information?

I'll probably have better questions and suggestions once it is installed.

jasonsf

Oct 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I get an error when I try to run the program. Here's the message:

An unexpected error has occurred in NetCallerID.exe.
Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information.

File or assembly name 'OpenNETCF, Version=2.3.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=E60DBEA84BB431B7', or one of its dependencies, was not found

Sprint Touch Pro, Stock ROM

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
I get an error when I try to run the program. Here's the message:

An unexpected error has occurred in NetCallerID.exe.
Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information.

File or assembly name 'OpenNETCF, Version=2.3.0.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=E60DBEA84BB431B7', or one of its dependencies, was not found

Sprint Touch Pro, Stock ROM
JasonSF -

Try a soft reset. If the error still happens let me know.

-Kevin

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
does this program work for other parts of the world as well (like Europe), or only for th US?
I developed it using US #'s. Some of the sites (all public) should work with international #'s tho. You can always try :)

If it doesn't work where you let me know and the area code etc (even sample #'s). I can test it on in the emulator.

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
Just to needed some clarification the additional information would not be available until after the call has been accepted?

Anyway of doing this lookup if only the name is not your contact list already? or manually providing it a number to see the information on it?

Yeah - it doesn't go and look up the number until the call has been ignored, or accepted and the conversation is done. This is a limitation of the cell network. I quickly found out that during a call or an incoming call you can't access the data network. This is supposed to work with EVDO Rev A or HSDPA but even then some towers work, some don't. So for this reason the program waits until the convo is done...

Thanks for the suggestions of doing a lookup if the name isn't in your contact list already. I'll add that to the TODO -- as well as making it standalone and ability to manually enter a # as well.

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
I'm gonna try this....

One Question...where is the app going to get all this information?

I'll probably have better questions and suggestions once it is installed.
I use a few places to get the data, all public. The logic is briefly,

- first look up the # on google, if not on google try anywho.com (for name, address, etc)
- look up the # on fonefinder.com (for geo location)
- look up the # on callercomplaints.com (for FTC and spam)

if netcallerid finds the name, at the bottom it will include the information for a list of other lookup sites. since the output window is basically a web browser the app will navigate to those web sites with the name lookup.

hope this answers your question!

-Kevin

mbritten

Feb 17, 2007
Appleton, WI
I use a few places to get the data, all public. The logic is briefly,

- first look up the # on google, if not on google try anywho.com (for name, address, etc)
- look up the # on fonefinder.com (for geo location)
- look up the # on callercomplaints.com (for FTC and spam)

if netcallerid finds the name, at the bottom it will include the information for a list of other lookup sites. since the output window is basically a web browser the app will navigate to those web sites with the name lookup.

hope this answers your question!

-Kevin

VERY cool program.
is there any reason why i can not navigate to any of the links? after a call the program loads the info fine, but if i click a link to see map or criminal record nothing happens the new page if never loaded, also the button to view call logs doesn't work for me, call and add to contacts works but not call log. using a at&t fuze with the newest rre rom.

netlon

Feb 1, 2007
VERY cool program.
is there any reason why i can not navigate to any of the links? after a call the program loads the info fine, but if i click a link to see map or criminal record nothing happens the new page if never loaded, also the button to view call logs doesn't work for me, call and add to contacts works but not call log. using a at&t fuze with the newest rre rom.
I saw this once when i was testing it - chalked it up as just the webbrowser control being flakey. What model of phone and firmware/mobile os are you using?