[APP] AirBubble - Airplay audio receiver

Search This thread

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
AirBubble is a lightweight AirPlay audio receiver. It will appear in AirPlay applications (such as itunes) as a device you can play music to. It works in the background,
streaming music on your Android device.

App is now on the Market:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.airbubble

It is full featured but limited to 30 minutes from app start (you can run it unlimited times). To remove the 30 min limitation you must purchase the AirBubble License for 1.49€ / 1.99$:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.airbubble.unlocker

Features

• stream audio from AirPlay clients (itunes, iOS, airfoil, Twonky Mobile,...)
  • run in the background as a service
  • configurable network name
  • can be started on boot
  • can mute playback on phone call

Video showing itunes streaming to Optimus 2X and Xoom

Limitations

• Audio only, no video
  • Does not play in sync with other Airplay receivers
  • Non ARM devices are not supported (includes most GoogleTV)

Examples of use

• wireless speaker or headset
  • stream itunes music on the phone while controlling itunes from the phone (with a separate Android itunes remote control app)
  • recycle older or broken Android devices as dedicated networked speaker

Changelog

1.0.12 (Nov 18th 2013)
  • fixed client connection failure on Android 4.4<br>
  • tweaked notification<br>
  • high resolution icon

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 8,922
Last edited:

JayBeezy802

Oct 24, 2010
Just tested it and I have to say, it fits the bill perfectly. I did notice the music quality was on the low-end, maybe have th ability to switch between different streaming qualities?

Also I think you mean AppleAirPort express, not extreme. The extreme is the actual, dual-band router, where the express is the wi-fi extender with audio out.

Nonetheless, consider me hooked, any ideas on pricing yet?

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Just tested it and I have to say, it fits the bill perfectly. I did notice the music quality was on the low-end, maybe have th ability to switch between different streaming qualities?
Audio quality should be as good as the source, as AirPlay sends a lossless stream. What happens for example if you compare the same track played locally on your device vs streamed by AirPlay (with comparable volume) ?
On my Samsung SGS , quality is as good as it gets.
If you hear a difference, can you describe it ?

Also I think you mean AppleAirPort express, not extreme. The extreme is the actual, dual-band router, where the express is the wi-fi extender with audio out.

You're right. If a mod is willing to update the subject of the topic....

Free app with possibly airpush ads in the future.

Reactions: swishman

krackers

Oct 20, 2010
What about adding video support (aka making it a full airplay client) as you can now stream video from macs and do the reverse (with some hackery... It is xda dev afterall...!)

Last edited:

intelintelintel

May 28, 2010
Lahore
hey there.. the app sounds great.. but i have no idea how to set it up.. ive never used airplay or had an iphone (not more than a month atleast) so could you please tell me what im supposed to do in itunes?

Hampa_D

Jun 20, 2010
so with this i can't stream music from my phone to a AirPort Express or have i got it all wrong?
im looking for the best way to wireless stream music from my phone to a couple of speakers thats why im asking

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
I've added a link to a youtube video in first post that shows app appearing in itunes for streaming to the phone.

@Hampa_D: the app does the opposite. To stream audio from your phone to Airplay devices you can use Twonky Mobile.
Since Twonky Mobile is an Airplay client, it will see and stream audio to AirBubble as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampa_D

URBANsUNITED

Aug 9, 2010
Great!!!
I will give it a try at home. Hook my mobile to the amp and stream music from my Itunes Lib :)

TOP!

URBANsUNITED

Hampa_D

Jun 20, 2010
I've added a link to a youtube video in first post that shows app appearing in itunes for streaming to the phone.

@Hampa_D: the app does the opposite. To stream audio from your phone to Airplay devices you can use Twonky Mobile.
thanks its in the right direction but i want to be able to stream spotify from my phone but that seems to be a little more difficult if i don't use bluetooth.

mmeidl78

May 6, 2010
Ulm
Great App!

I've got a question: Could you make an app to stream Music FROM my Android Smartphone TO a Airport Express (and the connected speakers)?
(I've got so much music on my smartphone and it would be so nice to lay on the couch and hear music from my smartphone over my airport express and be able to switch to the next song or make it louder etc.)

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Cant enable wifi on htc desire with cm 7

More info please. The app require a WiFi connection and if not connected will ask to enable WiFi on startup. Is that failing ?

Great App!

I've got a question: Could you make an app to stream Music FROM my Android Smartphone TO a Airport Express (and the connected speakers)?

It exists already. Twonky Mobile:

market.android.com/details?id=com.pv.twonkyremote

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AirBubble is a lightweight AirPlay audio receiver. It will appear in AirPlay applications (such as itunes) as a device you can play music to. It works in the background,
    streaming music on your Android device.

App is now on the Market:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.airbubble

It is full featured but limited to 30 minutes from app start (you can run it unlimited times). To remove the 30 min limitation you must purchase the AirBubble License for 1.49€ / 1.99$:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.airbubble.unlocker

Features

• stream audio from AirPlay clients (itunes, iOS, airfoil, Twonky Mobile,...)
    • run in the background as a service
    • configurable network name
    • can be started on boot
    • can mute playback on phone call

Video showing itunes streaming to Optimus 2X and Xoom

Limitations

• Audio only, no video
    • Does not play in sync with other Airplay receivers
    • Non ARM devices are not supported (includes most GoogleTV)

Examples of use

• wireless speaker or headset
    • stream itunes music on the phone while controlling itunes from the phone (with a separate Android itunes remote control app)
    • recycle older or broken Android devices as dedicated networked speaker

Changelog

1.0.12 (Nov 18th 2013)
    • fixed client connection failure on Android 4.4<br>
    • tweaked notification<br>
    • high resolution icon
    Whoa! You have an app that lets you travel forward in time? I want THAT one! :D

Heh thanks for making me notice

I'm bummed, as I really would've liked to try this, but I can't say I blame you. You're probably much safer this way...now perhaps if you stripped any identifying info, and perhaps PM'd me the apk...THAT would rock!

That sucks I had to remove it from the Market but that shows the limits of the magic walled garden... It's still unknown what Apple will do in the coming weeks and months.

Anyway I'm preparing a source code release of what would have been 0.9.2.
    +1, Will give it A whirl.
    Cheers.
    Nice! Finally airplay for android!

Next up, facetime!
    Audio quality should be as good as the source, as AirPlay sends a lossless stream. What happens for example if you compare the same track played locally on your device vs streamed by AirPlay (with comparable volume) ?
    On my Samsung SGS , quality is as good as it gets.
    If you hear a difference, can you describe it ?

You're right. If a mod is willing to update the subject of the topic....

Free app with possibly airpush ads in the future.