[APP] AlternativeOuyaStore

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
This app is currently in an alpha release, the AlternateOuyaStore app. This will basically do the same thing that the windows version does, except this one you can run right on the Ouya itself. Like I said this is fairly early, it doesn't look nice, but it does give you a list of all the games with game images (just like the windows one) and you can download the game apks. The download shows up in the notification area and you install it just like side loading any other app, except these ones are recognized by official Ouya Store! I tested and basically developed this thing on cm10 and it seems stable there. Had issues running it on my old HTC one x though...

So if you run into any issues please post below so they can make it into the next commit!

Usage:
1) Tap/click the "Get List" button. (this will load the list)
2) Select a game from the list. (this will put the game title in the textbox next to the download button)
3) Tap/click the "Download" button. (this will start the download for the apk file) Due to the game changing as you thumb-stick through the games though I find it easiest to just use the touch pad to tap download. Annoying... so this is on my list.
4) Either tap the completed apk download in your notification or go to you default download location and tap the apk file.
5) Play the game! You can also play through the official Ouya Store Play menu( as the biggest issue was getting the Discover area to load on CM10)

For now the download is basically done by sending the download url as an intent, which then launches whatever you have as your default browser. This saves me from having to have extra permission like saving to storage and progress bars and a whole mess of stuff that I will get to later but don't want to worry about right now.

To Do list:
- Better GUI
- Sort list functions
- Generalize functions to reduce coupling with the main activity.
- Add internal download and install functionality

I'm releasing this under the GNU GPL so have at'er!

Github-
https://github.com/ProfessorPopTart/AlternateOuyaStoreProject
(This is my first android app so go easy on the code sloppiness! lol)

For the non-coders that just want to try it out, the install apk can also be found in the AlternateOuyaStore folder in the link above.

Irc FreeNode #ouya-dev

Last edited:

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
I'll try again later tonight but I was having issues downloading apps with this? So I got an issue the source is built with the odk :( I feel like an a$$ for saying this. But I ain't touching the odk with a ten foot stick for a couple months. Honestly I've done a bit of theming, hacking and phone flashing but all of that was either hacking apks, building them from android source or with the android sdk. Right now I'm learning how to straight up code android and don't want to mess up my machine with the odk (some old school themers know what I'm talking about).

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
So about a half an hour ago I set this up on eclipse and got it up and running made a few changes so far. I haven't tested on my ouya yet but ran it on my phone (htc evo 4g lte) to make sure that the array list would work. It does but it doesn't download. I changed the screenorientation in the manifest because on screen orientation it resets. It's a temp fix that does work but later we'll have to do something about handling runtime changes a little bit better.

On a side note I made a webview that goes to the ouya update site. Eventually I want it to go to the site download the text as a string checks it against our build.prop and if different then it downoads the url (update zip) to your device to install. I can't give a time frame right now on how fast this will take right now I'm working six days a week 10 hrs a day at universal building project 722. But this stuff isn't on the shelf.

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
Here we go
update 1
added a sort function so that the list is alphabetical
changed name to simply "the store"
added icon to appear in ouya launcher ( I hope it works)
no more clicking buttons to download list it starts automatically
added a counter in top of screen that displays the number of apps available
when you click the list it automatically downloads the app
think thats it :D

problems
the only problem I have is that it doesn't display the icons a custom adapter is required for that.
Ui needs some more work but it takes time

source code here https://github.com/asadullahibnrob/AlternateOuyaStore

Attachments

Reactions: moviecut

limker

Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I have tried both apps. I appreciate the effort you are putting to this. Both application are in very early development, but in the right track!

A note to both apps

When you click a paid app (with no free trial) i.e. Towerfall, the app crashes. I believe this is because when you request the data for that app, it won't return a download URL as expected, and i assume you guys are not validating this :p.​

I recommend that you mark which apps aren't free for download, and either do nothing when clicked or redirect to app's official entry on the original app store.

Keep up the good work :good:

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
That's my fault I'll see if I can fix it today. ........

EDIT: Actually i was wrong kinda they changed the auth token to something else. I glance through their code and didn't see anythng in the ouya oobe.apk I'm wondering if they give one to each user. But maybe I could set it up so that it goes to the info page so that you can send it to your ouya.

Last edited: