[APP] AMOLED PWMfree

Search This thread

wmiki75

Oct 27, 2011
Easy, light, but great app, but..
Blocked the install button area on my S4 mini, so i unable to install apk-s, while it is running.

Rotkaeqpchen

Apr 30, 2008
Thank you so much for this app! It works and now I don't have to sell my Tab S5e because of headaches. ^^ THANK YOU SO MUCH!

afigienas

Dec 26, 2011
How does it work?? it doesn't do crap about PWM. lcd still flickers at the same rate, just because you put darker foreground on top it makes less bright flicker-but it still the same flicker. also how do we know you dont keylog clicks and so on? :D Overlay apps are most security risk app types.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

I think this app works better, if you're using auto-brightness - all you need it's disable system auto-brightness and set system britness to max, then enable option, which called "service" in app

Yeah that's the BEST way of draining battery. THE ONLY correct way of using such apps is to do brightness to MIN and only then use it.

lewonsky

Jul 8, 2014
Does this drain battery . However i noticed it doesn't heat up the device . So does that mean it doesn't drain the battery since no increased power consumption?

Hunter_20

Dec 14, 2017
@Wootever I lost the file of your first version of pwm-free.apk, which overrides the android slider on a rooted phone. Can you share this apk file again please?

okias

Aug 6, 2007
Prague
floss.social
Please release source of the app. I'm actively looking for app with this functionality. For security reasons only way I see is to install open-source app (due to fact that app has access to accessibility features).

Azra4

Oct 16, 2014
Installed it on my Tab S6 (no root), works perfectly.

And for what it's worth, this is what I'm getting on my oscilloscope connected to an OPT101 sensor...

Normal operation, low brightness:

bmp_37_003m.jpg

With this app:

bmp_37_004.jpg

Thank you @Wootever !

RyanCr7

Aug 3, 2018
@Wootever
Sir,
My stock rom had dc Dimming and I loved it. Since I changed my rom to Pixel Experience I had excessive flickering with on screen which was solved using this app.

The only downside is when I'm inside a video player e.g Mx or YouTube, I can't control the brightness using swipe up/down gestures.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks

imranmahsud

May 30, 2011
Thank you very much, this app solves the yellow screen with horizontal lines problem in Samsung, I was about to throw my note 9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Summary:
    • A simple application that uses a transparent overlay to dim the device brightness, effectively removing PWM.
    • Download PWMfree

More Information:

Default brightness control:
    • FJ6ln5p.gif
    • YIbIOWt.png

PWMfree brightness control:
    • 3CmXgxz.gif
    • qyZrtt3.png
    Version 1.3:
    • added proper notification layout for portrait and landscape mode.
    • adjusted brightness steps.
    • small bugfixes.
    Version 1.2:
    • added shortcut to accessibility settings on first start.
    • fixed an issue with the rotation listener.
    Version 1.1:
    • added simple interface with brightness slider and function toggle.
    Version 1.0:
    • initial release.

Download:
    Small update, brightness can now be controlled from the notification bar:

Cj7Vx82.jpg
    @amakuramio
    Not sure why the installation is prevented.
    The application itself just creates an accessibility overlay and changes the permission for /sys/class/backlight/panel/brightness to prevent access from liblights.

Edit:
    Seems like this is the common behaviour for non-playstore apps: disable Google Play Protect
    @kimush
    Found the causing issue with the help of the android emulator.
    I updated the download link on the original post, please try if it's working correctly now.