[APP][Android 4.4+][ROOT] EX Kernel Manager

Search This thread

pkgnex

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan
Any idea why I still don't have an update to .70 available in the play store? I have .67 and it says there is no update. I still can't even download the latest kernel on A12.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Any idea why I still don't have an update to .70 available in the play store? I have .67 and it says there is no update. I still can't even download the latest kernel on A12.
The rollout is slow due to the major changes

That has no bearing on the 12 beta kernel availability. I don't know why you aren't getting that on the P4, it downloads fine for me ( EXKM version doesn't matter).

pkgnex

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan

That has no bearing on the 12 beta kernel availability. I don't know why you aren't getting that on the P4, it downloads fine for me ( EXKM version doesn't matter).
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I guess I'll wait for beta's and see if it fixes itself!

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Just a note about new storage policies from Google and what it means for apps and users

Apps that get updated (or new apps) are *not* allowed to ask for storage permissions anymore, we have to use the storage access framework (SAF). The exception is file explorers, and they need special approval.

This means you will increasingly see apps using Android's file chooser. This is now the case for EXKM, as you will use the system file chooser to select a directory to store downloads and backups. I have also converted DevCheck to use SAF, and my new app, AppDash, also uses it.

I am seeing ActivityNotFound exceptions from using SAF on all three of these apps. The reason is because some users have disabled or uninstalled the "Files" system app (not to be confused with "Files by Google", I'm talking about the system app that comes with your phone).

Don't disable/freeze/hibernate/uninstall the Files app, it is needed to choose files with SAF and many apps (and eventually all apps that deal with files) depend on this. Basically, any app that uses files has to start using SAF unless they never update again.

Also make sure your custom ROM dev includes Files in their ROMs

Last edited:

pkgnex

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan

@flar2,

So I got version .70 a few days ago and it still said "can't find compatible version" or whatever.

Then last night, all of a sudden it was recognized and I could download and flash it with no issues.

I have a theory... A12 beta 3 shipped with a security date of August 1, even though it came out in mid-July. The August security date for all the non-beta Android versions just updated to August yesterday, I think.

This is probably not a coincidence. I'm guessing exkm may not have recognized a security patch level that was future-dated?

- Chaorrupted X -

May 22, 2016
Malaysia
Just a note about new storage policies from Google and what it means for apps and users

Apps that get updated (or new apps) are *not* allowed to ask for storage permissions anymore, we have to use the storage access framework (SAF). The exception is file explorers, and they need special approval.

This means you will increasingly see apps using Android's file chooser. This is now the case for EXKM, as you will use the system file chooser to select a directory to store downloads and backups. I have also converted DevCheck to use SAF, and my new app, AppDash, also uses it.

I am seeing ActivityNotFound exceptions from using SAF on all three of these apps. The reason is because some users have disabled or uninstalled the "Files" system app (not to be confused with "Files by Google", I'm talking about the system app that comes with your phone).

Don't disable/freeze/hibernate/uninstall the Files app, it is needed to choose files with SAF and many apps (and eventually all apps that deal with files) depend on this. Basically, any app that uses files has to start using SAF unless they never update again.

Also make sure your custom ROM dev includes Files in their ROMs

Thanks for the heads up.

I was struggling to know why the EXKM keep asking me to enable Android Files. Can't even use the app. I thought Solid Explorer app is sufficient. But after reading your explanations, well, I guess it's time to revive back the Android Files app.

I'm using LineageOS 18.1. Now I enabled back my Files app (com.android.documentsui), and can use the EXKM app normally.

Reactions: flar2

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
I'm getting a lot of flak for this change, but this is the way Google says it has to be.

For those asking for an alternative, if I make a chooser, none of the other file explorer apps show up. Only the Files app seems to have the power to grant the necessary access permissions.

Reactions: - Chaorrupted X -

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
@flar2,

So I got version .70 a few days ago and it still said "can't find compatible version" or whatever.

Then last night, all of a sudden it was recognized and I could download and flash it with no issues.

I have a theory... A12 beta 3 shipped with a security date of August 1, even though it came out in mid-July. The August security date for all the non-beta Android versions just updated to August yesterday, I think.

This is probably not a coincidence. I'm guessing exkm may not have recognized a security patch level that was future-dated?
It was a backend server change I had to make

Reactions: pkgnex

- Chaorrupted X -

May 22, 2016
Malaysia
In the attached image. Any idea why there's a swap file option? It exist after I play around with the "Swapper - ROOT" app from PlayStore. Was going to test for fun, but seems like it messed up my device, and that app isn't stable for SWAP.

The swap file option just sit there. When I tap on it, it said "Operation failed". How do I remove the swap file option? I guess I need to play around in the root files, but don't know where to start. Probably there's something that need to be deleted or adjust.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-102650_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20210812-102650_Trebuchet.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 53

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
In the attached image. Any idea why there's a swap file option? It exist after I play around with the "Swapper - ROOT" app from PlayStore. Was going to test for fun, but seems like it messed up my device, and that app isn't stable for SWAP.

The swap file option just sit there. When I tap on it, it said "Operation failed". How do I remove the swap file option? I guess I need to play around in the root files, but don't know where to start. Probably there's something that need to be deleted or adjust.

Don't use any other apps, only EXKM if you want to change swap, zram or memory settings. The other app probably tried to make a swapfile, which is a terrible idea on a phone. Don't do it.

Reactions: - Chaorrupted X -

Rex_251

Aug 4, 2021
When I am flashing something it shows me like this on the screenshot plus my system data/storage is not even shown in twrp recovery also which is really a headache can you help me please.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-162859_EX_Kernel_Manager.png
    Screenshot_20210818-162859_EX_Kernel_Manager.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 41

Rex_251

Aug 4, 2021
Can you provide any more detail? Seems strang

Can you provide any more detail? Seems strange
Motorola Moto One Fusion+
ROM - Pixel Experience Plus 11
Android 11
Kernel - Kensur kernel
Logcat of the device is attached
--> Internal storage filetype - f2fs
--> System storage filetype - ext4
CPU Governor - schedutil
In TWRP it just shows unable to mount storage, etc. errors.

theistus

Mar 27, 2010
Hi, pixel 4a 5g owner here. We haven't had an update since p5-1.07 in may. I'm wondering if we'll get an updated kernel soon? It's almost September.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    p3890301369-11.jpg

EX Kernel Manager

I get a lot of feature requests and questions for this app, so I've decided to make a thread here. Feel free to make feature requests, report bugs, ask questions or post useful information and feedback.

EX Kernel Manager (EXKM) is the ultimate tool for performance tuning, maximizing battery life, tweaking color, sound, gestures and other kernel settings. EXKM gives you total control over your hardware with premium features and a beautifully optimized material design user interface.

*** Your device must be ROOTED to fully use this app

*** Universal! Compatible with all kernels and all devices.

*** Works with stock kernel, however, some advanced features such as wake gestures, color and sound settings require a custom kernel

Fully supported on the Google Pixel, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9, HTC One m7/m8/m9, HTC 10, OnePlus 3/3T, Asus ZenFone 2, Samsung Galaxy S6/S7, Moto G4/G4 Plus, Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and many other devices.

Includes instant powersave mode and performance mode. Including widgets and quicksettings tiles (on Nougat)

Dashboard: your homepage within the app, Dashboard summarizes your current settings and shows real-time CPU and GPU frequencies, temperatures, memory usage, uptime, deep sleep, battery level and temperature, governors, and i/o settings.

Battery Monitor: the most accurate way to measure battery life. EXKM's Battery Monitor is designed to show battery statistics that you can use to improve battery life scientifically. EXKM Battery Monitor measures % battery use per hour and gives separate statistics for screen off (idle drain) and screen on (active drain). It automatically measures only when the battery is discharging so you never have to remember to reset the stats or create markers.

CPU Settings: easily create, share and load CPU governor profiles for maximum battery life. Adjust max frequency, min frequency, CPU governor, CPU boost, hotplugging, thermals and voltage (if supported by kernel or hardware)

Graphics Settings: Max frequency, min frequency, GPU governor and more.

Advanced Color Control: RGB controls, saturation, value, contrast and hue, Save, load and share custom profiles. (requires kernel support, most custom kernels for Qualcomm devices implement this driver)

Wake Gestures: sweep2wake, doubletap2wake, sweep2sleep, haptic feedback, camera gesture, wake timeout and more (requires kernel support). Asus ZenFone 2 gestures are fully supported.

Custom User Settings: This feature allows you to add any kernel setting you want. Kernel settings are located in the /proc and /sys directories. Simply navigate to the desired path and you can quickly and easily add the setting to the app where it can be changed on the fly or applied at boot. Plus you can easily import/export your custom settings and share with other users.

Memory Settings: adjust zRAM, KSM, lowmemorykiller, and virtual memory settings

Sound Control: adjust speaker, headphone and mic gain. Supports elementalx, fauxsound, fanco sound control, and others (requires kernel support).

CPU Times: Show CPU frequency usage and deep sleep, and optionally sort by most used frequencies.

Update or Install ElementalX: Get notified and quickly download and install the ElementalX Kernel on your Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9, HTC One m7, HTC One m8, HTC One m9, HTC 10 and OnePlus 3.

Kernel Backup: save and restore kernel backups

Many other settings: i/o scheduler, readahead kb, fsync, zRAM, KSM, USB fastcharge, TCP congestion algorithm, last kernel log, magnetic cover control, memory settings, entropy settings and much more!

Other features: configurable, one-click Powersave mode and Performance modes, CPU temperature notification, language chooser (English, French, German, Dutch, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Traditional and Simplified Chinese), theme chooser, auto-powersave mode and more!
    Just got the new update from the Play Store. Liking the little visual differences, the graph behind the current frequencies, the little coloured wheels for battery and ram. Just finishes the look off a little bit better. Not noticed any functional differences yet but I've only had a quick glance through. Any specific functional differences between the new version and the previous?

I made a lot of changes under the hood, optimizing code and improving things like device detection, and showing more info on the updater screen. There is also the advanced and simple modes, for people who are overwhelmed by a lot of settings. I have a lot more changes planned over the coming weeks.
    I built a bunch of kernels today, all now available through EX Kernel Manager

Pixel 4/4XL:
    -November security patches

Pixel 3/3XL:
    -restore sound settings

Pixel 3a/3aXL:
    -November Security patches

Pixel 2/2XL:

Essential PH1:

HTC U11:
    -initial release for Android Pie

Pixel/Pixel XL is now end-of-life from Google, so no updates
    Soon. Actually, 3.08 is the one you guys should be waiting for. It's way faster and has a really cool new feature.