[APP][Android 5.0+][3.4.120 - 21/05/2020] AdGuard - No Root Ad Blocker

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Thanks appreciate it. Is the Adguard app worth installing? Does it have added benefits over the private DNS . I am worried it will be a battery drain with no benefits.
In my opinion you should use both.

DNS level blocking will prevent anything to connect somewhere where or shouldn't in the first place, which will save time and ressources, while the base app will filter pages contents and placeholders of ads.

oae08

Nov 5, 2012
Beirut

DNS level blocking will prevent anything to connect somewhere where or shouldn't in the first place, which will save time and ressources, while the base app will filter pages contents and placeholders of ads.
As i understood the app already does both? You dont need to insert anything on private DNS settings if you are using the app right??

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
As i understood the app already does both? You dont need to insert anything on private DNS settings if you are using the app right??
You have to set it up in the app too.

I don't use it for DNS and use Private DNS instead because with the servers I'm using i got SERVFAIL errors after some time so no connection anymore.
One of the good part of using it in the app is that you can se detailed info in the filtering logs

oae08

Nov 5, 2012
Beirut
You have to set it up in the app too.

I don't use it for DNS and use Private DNS instead because with the servers I'm using i got SERVFAIL errors after some time so no connection anymore.
One of the good part of using it in the app is that you can se detailed info in the filtering logs
is there some kind of tutorial to the app, i downloaded but really confused and there are too many filters which one to choose

fobtob387

Jan 28, 2017

Disagree, the conversation you're replying to even proves so. Him and many other users are having slow connection issues with AdGuard's DNS servers and I'm fairly sure slow connection does not equate to "will save time and resources". Multiple people on Reddit have reported it being so slow to the point of timeouts.

DNS level adblocking is redundant unless you have something like pihole setup or routing decided through your own DNS servers otherwise stick with the AdGuard app and use CloudFlare's DNS for the best experience.

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Disagree, the conversation you're replying to even proves so. Him and many other users are having slow connection issues with AdGuard's DNS servers and I'm fairly sure slow connection does not equate to "will save time and resources". Multiple people on Reddit have reported it being so slow to the point of timeouts.

DNS level adblocking is redundant unless you have something like pihole setup or routing decided through your own DNS servers otherwise stick with the AdGuard app and use CloudFlare's DNS for the best experience.
Sorry it was misleading since I never said I'm using AdGuard's DNS servers, and the app actually provides many more.

I actually wrote on earlier post that I'm using NextDNS (and still face issues with AdGuard so I'm still using NextDNS with Private DNS instead).

I still think it's still useful to have both. The fact that one particular DNS server isn't reliable doesn't make the whole feature useless.

Pihole is harder to get it to work outside an home network even if it provide way more control and customization.

The AdGuard's DNS filtering option isn't only for DNS level blocking, but can be used for DNSCrypt, DoH, DoT (like Private DNS) and DoQ for example.

But i agree that if you are not blocking nor encrypting your DNS requests there's only a limited use, with the exception that you can review all DNS requests on the filtering log to create customized adblocking rules withing the settings that the base app provides.

Last edited:

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Thanks for your advice guys. So between adguard (free version) and blokada, you believe adguard is still better?
I don't know the free version at all unfortunately.
Isn't it only a web browser extension?

If it is, I'll recommend both because a domain blocker only won't remove ads placeholders.
If not, i don't know d'une i only used the paid app.

The great thing about the paid app is that it filters that all you don't want system wide, even ads placeholders in web browser (AdGuard supports ad block rules AND userscripts), so that you don't even need extension (useful for browsers that doesn't supports them).

Blockada, as many others, only block domains and are not compatible with ad block rules so it works like a DNS server which you can add you own list (NextDNS can do it too so that you don't even need any app for that specific use).

Chinask1

Apr 15, 2019
Moscow
AdGuard for Android - 3.6.1 beta 1 is available!

This is the first beta on the way towards AdGuard v4.0. We fixed a couple of bugs, did a routine CoreLibs update, and made a few other changes.

Changelog

[Enhancement] CoreLibs updated to v1.7.188 [#3743]
[Fixed] Filtering doesn't work with 4G and IPv6 [#3527]
[Fixed] An error when trying to get a trial period via the app [#3691]
[Fixed] Compatibility issues
[Other] Several popular Wi-Fi calling servers added to the default exclusions list [#3742]
[Other] HTTPS filtering for Vivaldi Snapshot browser is enabled by default now [#3741]

This version on Github
Download via direct link

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Is there a way (or does it do it already) for AdGuard for Android to detect and block 1 pixel/very small tracking images in email - presumably it can see the traffic on it's way to the email/Gmail client?

You can set your mail client to not automatically load images at least.

Also, i presume the image is loaded from tracking companies so it probably already blocked though host lists. If not you can probably read it from the mail sources to add the domain to AdGuard.

I think you can also add a general rule in AdGuard for your mail apps or sites to filter anything you might want to block (the article refers to gif for exemple).

Chinask1

Apr 15, 2019
Moscow
AdGuard for Android - 3.6.1

Another round of software release life cycle complete! This version of AdGuard for Android has made its way from an unsure of itself alpha to a confident release. We have routinely updated CoreLibs, fixed a couple of bugs and compatibility issues. This time, there are no shocking features like watching YouTube without ads but this release is no less important than the previous one. After all, we are getting better with every update!

Changelog

[Enhancement] CoreLibs updated to v1.7.189 [#3749]
[Fixed] Filtering doesn't work with 4G and IPv6 [#3527]
[Fixed] An error when trying to get a trial period via the app [#3691]
[Fixed] hepsiburada.com - HTTPS filtering issue [#1406]
[Fixed] blockchain.com is broken [#1411]
[Fixed] Compatibility issues
[Other] Several popular Wi-Fi calling servers added to the default exclusions list [#3742]
[Other] HTTPS filtering for Vivaldi Snapshot browser is enabled by default now [#3741]

This version on GitHub
Download via direct link

BreadedChicken

Jul 15, 2015
Did this update broke adguard for anyone else? Now 90% of websites are inaccessible, resulting in an infinite refresh loop.

Edit: Nevermind. I fixed it by clearing all all adguard settings and starting anew. I'll never know what the troublesome settings was, but If anyone faces the same problem, try doing that.

Last edited:

Dopewaffles

Feb 2, 2020
I saw the recent sale on StackSocial and was thinking about purchasing 4 of the lifetime memberships. I have been testing this app out and its current version for the past 3 days and I've noticed a few things that I thought I should bring to the owners and devs attention.
Device: OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren, running Android 10 with Oxygen OS, Magisk and AdAway installed, running AdGuard in HTTP on Port 8080.

Network speed - I've noticed that networking speed on my mobile network has slowed down about 10-20% overall. I've ran 15 different tests that all come back slower than the other 15 tests without AdGuard.

AdGuard will kill the connection to my apps - I've noticed with almost every single app that I will have to completely disable AdGuard to get the app to load content again. I've ran so many tests trying to recreate and I've noticed if I deep close the app in question and reload it that it will still not function. Every single time I've had to disable the AdGuard app, restart my phone without AdGuard and then will the app connect completely normal once again.

For what it's worth, I will definately be purchasing the lifetime membership since I know how much effort was put into this. I'm really excited to be purchasing this for me, friends and my family so we can finally start to get rid of those annoying ads that (they) see all the time. Good job AdGuard team, keep up the good work!

Dopewaffles

Feb 2, 2020
@fobtob387

Hiya, thanks for your quick reply! I did not notice a difference between when I completely disabled AdAway and when I let it run in the background, which I found kinda odd. To be clear, I'm using AdAway and AdGuard on the completely original settings (Local HTTP Proxy) and original host files. AdAway doesn't work very well with the original hosts file I've noticed.

2. Yes, I am sure I've installed it correctly as this is not my first time using AdGuard. When I purchased my OnePlus 5T is when I started using AdGuard which was quite some time ago. This time around I made sure to do the research and make sure everything was installed correctly.

3. I am not using the AdGuard DNS because I was told it connects to the Cloudflare servers regardless and did not want to create anything else between connections when I to try to solve these minor problems.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I've still noticed it blocks just about every ad I encounter within the working applications that it blocks too. I've yet to see a better deal so I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the StackSocial deal and try to figure out some of my problems once I have the full version unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: fobtob387