[APP][Android 6+] Ambi-Turner - wake up ambient display

Search This thread

liqn7

Mar 25, 2010
Just to clarify - does this only work when there is an active notification?

I've enabled battery info and then lift to wake and wave to wake but have not gotten an ambient screen display when attempting to activate these gestures.

tslovejoy1969

Sep 27, 2010
Just to clarify - does this only work when there is an active notification?

I've enabled battery info and then lift to wake and wave to wake but have not gotten an ambient screen display when attempting to activate these gestures.
Lift to wake and wave to wake both work for me with no active notifications. Are you sure ambient display is turned on in your device's display settings?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ohmegosh

Feb 25, 2013
Looks interesting, using the free 'I'm a cheapskate' version.

Always-on would be nice, though interested to know what the battery difference would be (on vs. off).
Also, would be nice to have the calendar on the screen for the next few events too...

Can't you tell, I'm a Note 7 refugee ;)
Found a solution to the calendar - just install com.cliffcawley.calendarnotify (Calendar Notify) and tweak so that it only shows the day(s) you want.

dpvu

Oct 13, 2010
Awesome app. Thanks for the key. Just playing with it for a little bit here and here are my thoughts so far:

-The screen seems to fairly reliably turn on from inside my pocket.
-Used the wave feature and it's a bit hit or miss. At my desk at home I can get it pretty reliably but it seems in some other places to be more finicky even though I think I'm waving the same way. I rarely get it to work in my car in it's mount.
-It seems to have minor to negligible impact on battery life but I'm not using any of the pulse features (just turning on from out of pocket and waving). If there is an impact it's not enough to stop me from using the app as I've got plenty of juice to spare on a few extra nice to have features with the awesome battery life so far.

grokus

Jun 1, 2015

Whoa! I was not prepared for that. I thought there was glitch in the payment system when I checked this afternoon until I saw this post.

I'm putting the advanced settings and such on hold until later tonight and posting an update with just the more reliable wake function in. That seems to be the largest complaint from the new wave of reviewers and I want to get that pushed asap.

Javi22

Feb 26, 2011
Madrid
Wow.. This looks awesome. Tomorrow I'll try in my Nexus 5X

I appreciate your development...always wanted something like this

Btw I guess it would not drain much battery because of the sensor hub, right..? I feel like this feature is underrated

Tugix1

Oct 13, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
Would Love to Test the pro Version but at purchase it keeps sayin Server Error. Would be glad if u can send me a Code sir.
a48ae66b74507f554fd32999a4b82165.jpg

Gesendet von meinem Pixel XL mit Tapatalk

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Whoa! I was not prepared for that. I thought there was glitch in the payment system when I checked this afternoon until I saw this post.

I'm putting the advanced settings and such on hold until later tonight and posting an update with just the more reliable wake function in. That seems to be the largest complaint from the new wave of reviewers and I want to get that pushed asap.
Awesome. I just read the article. You're becoming famous my friend. :good: I am however still having the constant peek notifications (ambient display) even when peek is turned off. I'm not sure what's going on but I will time it to see how often it co.es on and at what intervals. I have tilt and 1 wave to wake but if I sit the phone 5 feet from me on my end table it will constantly turn the ambient display on without new notifications.

stone0504

Feb 25, 2012
Great app and already bought it.
It there any way not to show "ambient is running" on lock screen?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
haha I found the way to turn it off in phone setting.

Last edited:

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Awesome. I just read the article. You're becoming famous my friend. :good: I am however still having the constant peek notifications (ambient display) even when peek is turned off. I'm not sure what's going on but I will time it to see how often it co.es on and at what intervals. I have tilt and 1 wave to wake but if I sit the phone 5 feet from me on my end table it will constantly turn the ambient display on without new notifications.

I've seen that occasionally on my phone as well. I'm still tracking down the exact cause - I'll get it, though!

Reactions: schwem

Zeroflucks

Nov 2, 2016
????

Gesendet von meinem Pixel XL mit Tapatalk

Not sure, Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Try PMing him for the code but looking at your screenshot i'm not sure if you can apply it. Do you get the drop down arrow to get to the redeem option??

Spf2001

Nov 9, 2016
Super excited for this as it's one of the features I miss most moving from a droid turbo to a pixel xl. But it does not seem to be working at all. ☹️

Zeroflucks

Nov 2, 2016
Ended up paying for it @grokus :) Seems "two waves" doesn't wake, but 1 does. *shrug*

I was just about to post about this. Seems 2 wave gesture isn't functioning properly anymore. beat me to it :p

Edit: Looks like it does work. It just need to sit still for a little while. Doesn't seem to be as responsive as it once was though.

Edit: Yeah, idk. seems to be working now. Switched to 3 wave to 1 wave then back to 2 wave and now it seems to be working like it was.

Last edited:

Juzman

May 4, 2011
Townsville
justynsmith.info
I was just about to post about this. Seems 2 wave gesture isn't functioning properly anymore. beat me to it :p

Edit: Looks like it does work. It just need to sit still for a little while. Doesn't seem to be as responsive as it once was though.

Ah right. I will just leave it as one wave. Easier.

Edit: for two waves you have to wave quickly. Worked it out.

Last edited:

wickets

May 8, 2012
update is nice....thanks

p.s. I think its very thoughtful to add a disclaimer about the lock screen notification. Larry needs to bring you in-house lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created an app that wakes ambient display when you take the phone out of your pocket or if you have the phone face down and turn it over. The app is in addition to Google's ambient display and does not change our lock screen in anyway.

I added a few other paid features for pulsing at an interval, wave to unlock, and battery percentage display on the ambient display.

I would love to have a few beta testers for the extra features, as it's a work in progress. Message me if you'd like a free code to redeem for the paid features.

Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compass.ambiturner
    Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates or responses for beta codes. I just became a father last night! I'll have something new for you as soon as I get some sleep!
    New update posted.

I may have discovered what is causing the intermittent nature of wave to wake. I made some changes in how I'm using the proximity sensor so that should help. I'll have to wait and see after a day or so of use to see how consistent it is.

I also added an option to turn off the wake from pocket.

There's now a help screen with an email developer button and some troubleshooting hints. I've been getting a large number of 1 star reviews, and many of them are people who don't realize you need to have ambient display turned on and a lock screen set, so I included more info on that.

Oh, and the notification is now hidden unless you have the Battery Indicator selected!
    So I've done some limited testing with the app white listed from doze and so far it improves the responsiveness significantly. I don't know the battery impacts yet, but if it's not noticeable I'll add code to prompt users to white list it.

Other upcoming changes:

Advanced settings to adjust wait times for how long the phone has to be in your pocket or laying flat before a wake can occur.

A pulse option that initially pulses faster when a notification comes in, and progressively shows down until the timeout.

Possibly change in lock screen battery indicator appearance.

Filter on laying flat thresholds. I suspect the accelerometer incorrectly reports the phone tilted while it is laying flat on occasion.
    Just brought pro very nice would be nice if there was a option for when pickup from flat on its back other then that working great

I actually plan on adding that, probably this weekend.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone