• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[APP][Android 6+] Ambi-Turner - wake up ambient display

garyHal

Jun 23, 2006
How is this compared to Gravity Screen. My pixel isn't rooted and Gravity Screen isn't working consistently so I am looking for alternatives.

okcthunderfan

Dec 19, 2011
How is this compared to Gravity Screen. My pixel isn't rooted and Gravity Screen isn't working consistently so I am looking for alternatives.
I would say Gravity Screen is much more consistent turning on the screen when you pick up the phone. I use this, though, since I want the breathing feature and Gravity doesn't have that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Anyway to get an option to disable Ambi-tuner while plugged in to a charger? It goes off way too much while I'm charging in the car. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Congrats bro, my daughter recently turned 1. I remember that new dad moment. Enjoy it man, it's the greatest ever!

Sent from my Pixel XL

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Just jumping in now.
Wanted to know the latest thoughts on battery consumption.
How is this app working for you regarding battery drain?

GeekyAndro

Nov 13, 2016
Testing

@grokus I would like to test your app.So need the pro app to test it on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 6p.Please provide me the pro app to test it out as the normal one has limited features.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Figured I'd check out battery usage for myself - just bought the Pro version of the app!
Happy to provide beta feedback.

So far, the "wave" trigger almost never works on my Pixel XL. Maybe 2 out of 10 times it works for me.

Also, I read on the app's Info/Help screen that your phone's screen has to be off and locked. I might be wrong here, but I consider "locked" to be a state where the phone needs to be "unlocked" to work. Since I use Smart Lock in my home, my phone is never "locked" when home. Still, your app works just fine!

At first, I bothered to turn off all of my Smart Lock settings prior to installing your app. When I tested it, the app worked as advertised. Then, wanting all of my Smart Locks back on, which essentially keeps my phone unlocked when home and when on my body, I made a mental note to look for your app behavior when I am at work tomorrow. To my delight, the next time I picked up my phone today, the app worked perfectly.

So, if I have the terms "locked" and "unlocked" right, you may want to change your info/help screen instructions.

dpvu

Oct 13, 2010
App seems improved after latest updates addressing responsiveness. Occasionally I notice the notification when unlocking before it vanishes. Not a deal breaker or anything...

I do notice one new "bug". At times when locking the phone when it's face up on a flat surface the ambient display will trigger right away. I'm only using the wave (set to 2 waves) and the default pocket remove options. I've yet to find the exact cause but it does happen often enough to notice. If it's related to a false positive on one of the sensors right after locking perhaps the easiest fix would be to add a short time delay before the wake up becomes active after locking.

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
App seems improved after latest updates addressing responsiveness. Occasionally I notice the notification when unlocking before it vanishes. Not a deal breaker or anything...

I do notice one new "bug". At times when locking the phone when it's face up on a flat surface the ambient display will trigger right away. I'm only using the wave (set to 2 waves) and the default pocket remove options. I've yet to find the exact cause but it does happen often enough to notice. If it's related to a false positive on one of the sensors right after locking perhaps the easiest fix would be to add a short time delay before the wake up becomes active after locking.
I do believe it's related to the sensor for laying flat. I'm planning on adding a high pass filter to it, I just haven't had a chance to with the baby. I should have time to work on it starting tomorrow though.

The notification is triggered to leave when the screen goes on. Any delay is due to android not delivering the screen on broadcast intent immediately so I'm not really able to get around that unfortunately.

Last edited:

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
It almost never wakes after taking out if the pocket. It would be awesome if it was more consistent
I'm working on it. Basically I'm fighting the fact that android now puts the processor into sleep mode much aggressively and delays responses. I'm getting closer with each update though and at least on my own phone it hasn't affected battery life.

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Figured I'd check out battery usage for myself - just bought the Pro version of the app!
Happy to provide beta feedback.

So far, the "wave" trigger almost never works on my Pixel XL. Maybe 2 out of 10 times it works for me.

Also, I read on the app's Info/Help screen that your phone's screen has to be off and locked. I might be wrong here, but I consider "locked" to be a state where the phone needs to be "unlocked" to work. Since I use Smart Lock in my home, my phone is never "locked" when home. Still, your app works just fine!

At first, I bothered to turn off all of my Smart Lock settings prior to installing your app. When I tested it, the app worked as advertised. Then, wanting all of my Smart Locks back on, which essentially keeps my phone unlocked when home and when on my body, I made a mental note to look for your app behavior when I am at work tomorrow. To my delight, the next time I picked up my phone today, the app worked perfectly.

So, if I have the terms "locked" and "unlocked" right, you may want to change your info/help screen instructions.
I'm adding some customization to set the wave timing parameters.

As for locked/unlocked, basically when smart lock engages the lock screen still becomes available at the time it normally would, but I think it just clears automatically when the screen comes on. I've had other people not have lock screen even set up and give me 1 star reviews because ambient display would never show, so I had to add that into the help section. I should add smart lock specific comments.