[APP][Android 6+] Ambi-Turner - wake up ambient display

Search This thread

ih8un

Mar 13, 2016
Hey Grokus,

If you need anymore Pixel Xl beta testers, please add me to the beta users. Would love to be part of your program

JonasVFC

Sep 20, 2009
I'm working on it. Basically I'm fighting the fact that android now puts the processor into sleep mode much aggressively and delays responses. I'm getting closer with each update though and at least on my own phone it hasn't affected battery life.

that's good to know. btw, i'm using this with the 6p

lundqvist

Aug 2, 2010
Bought the app for my 6P, happy to support the dev!

So far it works okay so far, battery life doesnt appear to have changed, but I recently went back to a stock fresh cup of 7.0. Will keep an eye on it.

Cheers

JonasVFC

Sep 20, 2009
I'm working on it. Basically I'm fighting the fact that android now puts the processor into sleep mode much aggressively and delays responses. I'm getting closer with each update though and at least on my own phone it hasn't affected battery life.

great news. i was using the app with the option "block all notifications" enabled. after going back to the default option, it works like a charm. the only downside it is that a icon appears for like 1 sec when i unlock the phone.

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Just downloaded the update with all the experimental stuff... ...very very very nice. THANKS

Glad you're liking it. It's the first update I've made since my child was born. I've been too busy/tired to do much of anything else. I'm hoping the consistency of the gesture responses is much better (it is on my pixel xl).

xocomaox

Aug 18, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'm not sure if this application will give me what I want, but I've been unable to find anything that will.

I basically only want the Ambient display to show up for a longer time when initiated by a notification. It currently lights up for about 5 seconds, I would prefer 30. I would also prefer to be able to raise the brightness of this display some as it's initially too low (this is an AMOLED screen, so it doesn't have to light up much!).

Reactions: cooter333

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
I'm not sure if this application will give me what I want, but I've been unable to find anything that will.

I basically only want the Ambient display to show up for a longer time when initiated by a notification. It currently lights up for about 5 seconds, I would prefer 30. I would also prefer to be able to raise the brightness of this display some as it's initially too low (this is an AMOLED screen, so it doesn't have to light up much!).

It's not possible without root and a custom ROM. You can use the app to pulse (set to 8 seconds and repeat for 60 seconds or so) but I think that's the closest I can get.

Brightness is also built into the OS. An overlay to change brightness would need to turn on the entire screen.

Reactions: xocomaox

xocomaox

Aug 18, 2008
Orlando, FL
It's not possible without root and a custom ROM. You can use the app to pulse (set to 8 seconds and repeat for 60 seconds or so) but I think that's the closest I can get.

Brightness is also built into the OS. An overlay to change brightness would need to turn on the entire screen.

Damn, okay. I will wait for more intrusive applications that modify these settings.

As far as the stock Ambient Display, with the extremely limited brightness and timeout, this function is only useful in a dark room while you're staring at your phone screen waiting for a text or something to come in.

Your app seems to fix a lot of the limitations, but not the ones I'm looking for! Thanks anyways. :good::)

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Glad you're liking it. It's the first update I've made since my child was born. I've been too busy/tired to do much of anything else. I'm hoping the consistency of the gesture responses is much better (it is on my pixel xl).
Just installed the update this morning and rebooted first thing. My phone has been waking perfectly everytime I pull it from my pocket and/or wave at it when sitting in my toolbox at work. It just keeps getting better and better! Thank you kind sir and congratulations on the new addition to the family. Your work is greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to donate when I get s chance. Just so you know, I did not use the code you sent me in my P.M. I purchased the app rather to support the development so if you'd like you can reissue that code if you have not already. Thanks again. This has made the Pixel XL worth owning.

looser101

Feb 14, 2012
~Toronto
Bought the app a while back. It's coming along nicely. Not sure if it's a hidden feature or my sensors are very sensitive. When the phone is laying on my desk face up I can double tap the screen to wake up ambient mode. Congratulations on the newborn.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created an app that wakes ambient display when you take the phone out of your pocket or if you have the phone face down and turn it over. The app is in addition to Google's ambient display and does not change our lock screen in anyway.

I added a few other paid features for pulsing at an interval, wave to unlock, and battery percentage display on the ambient display.

I would love to have a few beta testers for the extra features, as it's a work in progress. Message me if you'd like a free code to redeem for the paid features.

Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compass.ambiturner
    Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates or responses for beta codes. I just became a father last night! I'll have something new for you as soon as I get some sleep!
    New update posted.

I may have discovered what is causing the intermittent nature of wave to wake. I made some changes in how I'm using the proximity sensor so that should help. I'll have to wait and see after a day or so of use to see how consistent it is.

I also added an option to turn off the wake from pocket.

There's now a help screen with an email developer button and some troubleshooting hints. I've been getting a large number of 1 star reviews, and many of them are people who don't realize you need to have ambient display turned on and a lock screen set, so I included more info on that.

Oh, and the notification is now hidden unless you have the Battery Indicator selected!
    So I've done some limited testing with the app white listed from doze and so far it improves the responsiveness significantly. I don't know the battery impacts yet, but if it's not noticeable I'll add code to prompt users to white list it.

Other upcoming changes:

Advanced settings to adjust wait times for how long the phone has to be in your pocket or laying flat before a wake can occur.

A pulse option that initially pulses faster when a notification comes in, and progressively shows down until the timeout.

Possibly change in lock screen battery indicator appearance.

Filter on laying flat thresholds. I suspect the accelerometer incorrectly reports the phone tilted while it is laying flat on occasion.
    Just brought pro very nice would be nice if there was a option for when pickup from flat on its back other then that working great

I actually plan on adding that, probably this weekend.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone