[APP][Android 6+] Ambi-Turner - wake up ambient display

Search This thread

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
It's not possible without root and a custom ROM. You can use the app to pulse (set to 8 seconds and repeat for 60 seconds or so) but I think that's the closest I can get.

Brightness is also built into the OS. An overlay to change brightness would need to turn on the entire screen.
Hey man. Just letting you know one kind of major issue with recent updates. If I have tilt to wake on and I sit in my recliner with my phone on the arm at an angle the ambient display will constantly come on without stopping. It will go off after a few seconds and come right back on over and over to no end. If I lay the phone completely flat this goes away but when I'm at home I always have my device on my chair's arm. If I shut it off and use the new lift to wake then this works great but sometimes I just wanna tilt my phone to see the screen rather than lifting it all the way up. Is it possible for it to not constantly check the devices angle at which it's laying so the tilt to wake doesn't constantly turn the display on? I know I'm asking alot but I really wanna use tilt but I can't if the phone is laying at an angle greater than 10°. Thanks for everything man

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Hey man. Just letting you know one kind of major issue with recent updates. If I have tilt to wake on and I sit in my recliner with my phone on the arm at an angle the ambient display will constantly come on without stopping. It will go off after a few seconds and come right back on over and over to no end. If I lay the phone completely flat this goes away but when I'm at home I always have my device on my chair's arm. If I shut it off and use the new lift to wake then this works great but sometimes I just wanna tilt my phone to see the screen rather than lifting it all the way up. Is it possible for it to not constantly check the devices angle at which it's laying so the tilt to wake doesn't constantly turn the display on? I know I'm asking alot but I really wanna use tilt but I can't if the phone is laying at an angle greater than 10°. Thanks for everything man

I'll look into it. Turns out pixel has a built-in in, undocumented tilt sensor that happens to be one that world regardless of deep sleep, so I started using that one instead of my original tilt sensor. The built in one is code written by Google and supposedly already accounts for small changes such as what you mentioned. It sounds silly like the phone is teetering right on the edge of the detection angle (35 degrees).

I'm still planning on making a custom tilt angle using my original tilt code so I should be able to resolve it that way. Something like making "flat" be up to 45 degrees or even have it automatically compute flat based on it being at the same angle for several seconds.

wickets

May 8, 2012
thanks for latest update.....what option do i need to turn off to not have battery info show on locked screen? if i remember correctly, prior to this update, battery stats was an on/off option?? Many thanks

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
thanks for latest update.....what option do i need to turn off to not have battery info show on locked screen? if i remember correctly, prior to this update, battery stats was an on/off option?? Many thanks

It's now a list preference because I added a custom version that I think looks much better. You can select text only, percent bar, battery icon with text, icon only, or none.

wickets

May 8, 2012
It's now a list preference because I added a custom version that I think looks much better. You can select text only, percent bar, battery icon with text, icon only, or none.

LOL....was soo bizzy looking for a switch, i totally missed the battery preference part. :silly:

thanks for quick response...hope baby etc are all doing well

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Still liking this app a lot.

@grokus have you looked at the new source code from google that enables this native?

Not yet, but I plan on checking it out. It probably uses some secure settings or other some such that would be hidden from developers but I'm pretty certain I can hook into the new software sensors they are probably using.

tcollum

Feb 10, 2011
With the latest update, with tilt to wake enabled, ambient display kicks on a few moments after locking my device and laying it flat. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but I think I narrowed it down to that scenario. Perhaps adding a 10 second buffer before tilt to wake enables upon locking the display will solve it?

TheTeckMan

Dec 9, 2016
Currently have an old Droid I want to upgrade and trying to decide if I need to stay with Motorola or I can switch over to a Pixel or Nexus. The notifications are very important to me, a "killer app". I had a few questions (can't test the app myself as I don't have a compatible phone).

Does the app now or will it likely in the future:
- Wake on any movement of the phone? My current droid I can just nudge it on the desk and it will wake.
- Adjust the sensitivity of above behavior
- Customize the display to have large icons that just show which app is pushing the notification, and then more details on an interaction (in other words behave as similarly as possible to the Motorola system)?

Thank you. I will definitely be buying the premium version of this if I decide to go with a Nexus or Pixel.

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
With the latest update, with tilt to wake enabled, ambient display kicks on a few moments after locking my device and laying it flat. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but I think I narrowed it down to that scenario. Perhaps adding a 10 second buffer before tilt to wake enables upon locking the display will solve it?
I'll have that fixed in the next version. It's related to sensors initial reporting (I only listen when the screen is off).

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Currently have an old Droid I want to upgrade and trying to decide if I need to stay with Motorola or I can switch over to a Pixel or Nexus. The notifications are very important to me, a "killer app". I had a few questions (can't test the app myself as I don't have a compatible phone).

Does the app now or will it likely in the future:
- Wake on any movement of the phone? My current droid I can just nudge it on the desk and it will wake.
- Adjust the sensitivity of above behavior
- Customize the display to have large icons that just show which app is pushing the notification, and then more details on an interaction (in other words behave as similarly as possible to the Motorola system)?

Thank you. I will definitely be buying the premium version of this if I decide to go with a Nexus or Pixel.
It currently doesn't wake on push. It's something I can certainly add.

Androids Ambient display isn't customizable, but I'm in the process of creating my own version that will be customizable. I'll eventually be adding a bubble option once it's all working. I'm also adding battery indicator, weather, etc. I will probably have an option to make it colored as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created an app that wakes ambient display when you take the phone out of your pocket or if you have the phone face down and turn it over. The app is in addition to Google's ambient display and does not change our lock screen in anyway.

I added a few other paid features for pulsing at an interval, wave to unlock, and battery percentage display on the ambient display.

I would love to have a few beta testers for the extra features, as it's a work in progress. Message me if you'd like a free code to redeem for the paid features.

Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compass.ambiturner
    Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates or responses for beta codes. I just became a father last night! I'll have something new for you as soon as I get some sleep!
    New update posted.

I may have discovered what is causing the intermittent nature of wave to wake. I made some changes in how I'm using the proximity sensor so that should help. I'll have to wait and see after a day or so of use to see how consistent it is.

I also added an option to turn off the wake from pocket.

There's now a help screen with an email developer button and some troubleshooting hints. I've been getting a large number of 1 star reviews, and many of them are people who don't realize you need to have ambient display turned on and a lock screen set, so I included more info on that.

Oh, and the notification is now hidden unless you have the Battery Indicator selected!
    So I've done some limited testing with the app white listed from doze and so far it improves the responsiveness significantly. I don't know the battery impacts yet, but if it's not noticeable I'll add code to prompt users to white list it.

Other upcoming changes:

Advanced settings to adjust wait times for how long the phone has to be in your pocket or laying flat before a wake can occur.

A pulse option that initially pulses faster when a notification comes in, and progressively shows down until the timeout.

Possibly change in lock screen battery indicator appearance.

Filter on laying flat thresholds. I suspect the accelerometer incorrectly reports the phone tilted while it is laying flat on occasion.
    Just brought pro very nice would be nice if there was a option for when pickup from flat on its back other then that working great

I actually plan on adding that, probably this weekend.