• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][Android 7 Nougat][D2W]Turn on your screen by double tapping ON icon in AOD

Did it worked for you?

• YES DAMMIT TY FOR YOUR FIND!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No... wtf is this i need real d2w kernel deep.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

bigpapa007

Feb 22, 2014
This is just an app i found out while redditing.
So all of us who have nougat know that when we double tap a notification icon while in AOD it turns on the screen and brings you to that app right?
Well what this app does is that it always gives a turn on icon notification on the AOD screen andif you double tap it it turn on the screen and it doesn't send you to a specific app it just turns on the screen kinda like double tap to wake.
I installed it a couple of hours ago and it works just fine! :D :good:
So i think so far this is the best way to unlock the phone without pressing any hardware buttons.

Link to play store app

CoolRaoul

Aug 14, 2012
This can be done using Tasker too, but since that app is free that's a nice alternative.

CoolRaoul

Aug 14, 2012
Could you please describe how to do this with Tasker?
It's pretty simple indeed,
All you have to do is to set up a "Display Off" profile whose enter task creates a notification and exit task cancel it (since double tapping on any existing notification wake display):
Code:
Profile:  DisplayOff (168)
	State:  Display State [ Is: Off ]
Enter:  DisplayOFF.enter (35)
	A1:  Secure settings [ Configuration: Read system aod_mode Timeout (Seconds): 10 ] 
	A2:  Stop [ With Error: Off Task:  ] If [ %stsettingvalue = 0 ]
	A3:  Variable Set [ Name: %msg To: Wake Device Recurse Variables: Off Do Maths: Off Append: Off ] 
	A4:  Notify [ Title: %msg Text:  Icon: hd_aaa_ext_import Number: 0 Permanent: Off Priority: 3 ] 

Exit:  DisplayOFF.exit (214)
	A1:  [X] Play Ringtone [ Type: Notification Sound: Unlock Stream: 5 ] 
	A2:  Variable Set [ Name: %msg To: Wake Device Recurse Variables: Off Do Maths: Off Append: Off ] 
	A3:  Notify Cancel [ Title: %msg Warn Not Exist: Off ]

A1 and A2 steps are purely optional (require Secure Task plugin), just a small optimisation which skip notification creation if Always on Display is disabled
For the "double tap to lock" (even if t's not the subject of this thread) I use the Nova Launcher gesture.

Last edited:

yazdan2010

Apr 4, 2013
When my screen is off I swipe to enable screen feeds and then put my finger on menu button then the screen turns on. I enabled finger print and I just put my finger on menu not push it.

Reactions: DJSmoove

CoolRaoul

Aug 14, 2012
When my screen is off I swipe to enable screen feeds and then put my finger on menu button then the screen turns on.
Works fine too and do not require any 3rd party app.
This require to swipe up then down (the thread subject was about "double tapping on icon")
Anyway, could be a matter of taste

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
Interesting app, but since I still have to swipe the screen, even with smart lock enabled, it's utility is somewhat limited. If double-tapping would take me right to the last app, instead of the swipe screen, it would be great, but right now it's easier to just use the hardware button and fingerprint.

I can see this being very useful on the S8, though, with it's stupid rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.

bigpapa007

Feb 22, 2014
Interesting app, but since I still have to swipe the screen, even with smart lock enabled, it's utility is somewhat limited. If double-tapping would take me right to the last app, instead of the swipe screen, it would be great, but right now it's easier to just use the hardware button and fingerprint.

I can see this being very useful on the S8, though, with it's stupid rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.

I have smart lock with my gear s2 and with location in my home and it does indeed send me straight to my last app without asking me to unlock or use fingerprint, i don't know why it doesn't work with you.

littlejonny17

Jun 19, 2013
Porto
Not that useful at all. If only we could double tap the notification icon so it can expand or be shown like ambient display instead of getting us to the fingerprint/pin prompt...

bigpapa007

Feb 22, 2014
Not that useful at all. If only we could double tap the notification icon so it can expand or be shown like ambient display instead of getting us to the fingerprint/pin prompt...

Its the same you have been doing since you got the phone... but now instead of pressing the home/power button you don't need to press any actual hardware button, i personally always have the feeling that i will damage my hardware buttons if i press them a lot which probably isn't true but i like it not having to press any button now.
Besides if you ever had a lg phone with double tap to wake (i had the lg g2) its exactly the same thing, you double tap the screen and it just gets you to the lock screen and you have to nomally unlock it.
The only way to go directly to the home screen without anything else is for samsung to implement a fingerprint reader like all the ones available on newer phones where you only put finger on top and it will unlock.

Since i have a gear s2 and enabled smart lock with it i just press this icon's app on the lock screen and it gets me directly to the home screen without having to do anything else.

littlejonny17

Jun 19, 2013
Porto
Its the same you have been doing since you got the phone... but now instead of pressing the home/power button you don't need to press any actual hardware button, i personally always have the feeling that i will damage my hardware buttons if i press them a lot which probably isn't true but i like it not having to press any button now.
Besides if you ever had a lg phone with double tap to wake (i had the lg g2) its exactly the same thing, you double tap the screen and it just gets you to the lock screen and you have to nomally unlock it.
The only way to go directly to the home screen without anything else is for samsung to implement a fingerprint reader like all the ones available on newer phones where you only put finger on top and it will unlock.

Since i have a gear s2 and enabled smart lock with it i just press this icon's app on the lock screen and it gets me directly to the home screen without having to do anything else.

Yes, you are right, that it what everyones is doing right now!

What I am trying to say is that it would be better if there was a way to see the notification before we unlock the phone.
When I receive a sms, an icon apears in AOD but no further info is displayed. And if I want to see the sender I have to press a button! Thats what is wrong in my opinion! Double Tap should awake the screen in Black and White (just like ambient display) and then we decide whether to unlock or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just an app i found out while redditing.
    So all of us who have nougat know that when we double tap a notification icon while in AOD it turns on the screen and brings you to that app right?
    Well what this app does is that it always gives a turn on icon notification on the AOD screen andif you double tap it it turn on the screen and it doesn't send you to a specific app it just turns on the screen kinda like double tap to wake.
    I installed it a couple of hours ago and it works just fine! :D :good:
    So i think so far this is the best way to unlock the phone without pressing any hardware buttons.

Link to play store app
    When my screen is off I swipe to enable screen feeds and then put my finger on menu button then the screen turns on. I enabled finger print and I just put my finger on menu not push it.