[APP] Android Troper 0.12 (Tvtropes.org app) (Updated June 20th)

Search This thread

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
With the unfortunate demise of "Droid Tropes", the (previously) only "TvTropes" app, I was feeling in need. I also wanted to learn how to write Android apps.
So I created "Android Troper" (originally named "This Troper" and re-named due to community objections):

2nvrmkh.png

Features:
  • Browse and read TVTropes articles!
  • Be safe with spoilers hidden by default - read them by clicking!
  • Search the website for articles of your interest
  • Bored? Use the 'Random' button for a random article

Screenshots:

This is my first app so don't expect anything brilliant. It's currently 'working' at best, and I'm still learning.

That being said, I would love to hear comments, ideas and bug reports, all at our Google+ page!

Download:
For the latest official version (from the Google Play Store), either click here or scan this with your phone:

As it's getting harder to maintain this thread, please join our Google+ fanpage at: https://plus.google.com/117422405870944934987/
Or, if you wish to be a beta tester, join our beta community at:
https://plus.google.com/communities/115867056783462566229/

Last edited:

YamiYaiba

Jun 8, 2008
Knoxville
I'll give this a try and report in.

Edit: okay, quick first impressions and issues.

It looks pretty basic, graphically speaking. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
You might want to add a default search bar to the first page. Took me a second to realize I had to hit menu to do anything.
I force closed (twice at once, oddly) when I tapped on the hidden text to try to make it appear.

HTC Rezound, Venasaur ROM, Sense 4.0

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Ambious

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa

It looks pretty basic, graphically speaking. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
You might want to add a default search bar to the first page. Took me a second to realize I had to hit menu to do anything.
I force closed (twice at once, oddly) when I tapped on the hidden text to try to make it appear.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I am planning an introduction page instead of the current loading of the home page.
When you hit hidden text - which page was it in?

Blackadder18

May 10, 2012
Thankyou for making this app! I've been wanting to be able to read TvTropes on my phone for a while and I missed out on DroidTropes.

Works well on my Galaxy S II, I'm able to reveal spoilers without a FC and it works pretty smooth. May I suggest in future version to possibly add a quick scroll (where you can hold the scroll bar and scroll much faster) so you can jump around pages quicker? It's not necessary but it would be a nice addition.

This app is off to a great start, I look forward to future releases. :)

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Thankyou for making this app! I've been wanting to be able to read TvTropes on my phone for a while and I missed out on DroidTropes.

Works well on my Galaxy S II, I'm able to reveal spoilers without a FC and it works pretty smooth. May I suggest in future version to possibly add a quick scroll (where you can hold the scroll bar and scroll much faster) so you can jump around pages quicker? It's not necessary but it would be a nice addition.

Honestly I've been trying to enable quickscroll from day 1 but I can't seem to get it to work. It gets really annoying on long pages (and most of them are :-/)
Thanks for the feedback! Please let me know if it errors/fc's!

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Hey everyone and thanks for trying my app :)
I just posted a small update which enables 'Actionbar' (thanks to ActionBarSherlock) and makes the app 100% ICS compatible (including phones with no dedicated 'menu' button). Also easier to read the title and/or access functions.
Hope you like it, looking forward for some feedback!
Also, my next planned feature is a welcome screen, to those who asked.
Cheers :)

0.2α: Download Here
  • Added 'Actionbar' - now fully ICS compatible (cross platform as well thanks to Action Bar Sherlock)
  • Removed the application name from the header (to save space, don't need it now with the Actionbar)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-29-14-55-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-29-14-55-07.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,416
Last edited:

Blackadder18

May 10, 2012
Great to see it being updated quickly. Two things however. It seems asterisks which reveal additional information are click able but don't actually show the information. Also there doesn't seem to be any way to access the subpages of whatever article you are on (YMMW, Fridge etc). Perhaps you could put a button in the action bar which would produce a drop down list for the sub pages available for the current page?

Keep up the good work :)

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Great to see it being updated quickly. Two things however. It seems asterisks which reveal additional information are click able but don't actually show the information. Also there doesn't seem to be any way to access the subpages of whatever article you are on (YMMW, Fridge etc). Perhaps you could put a button in the action bar which would produce a drop down list for the sub pages available for the current page?

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the info.
Regarding the asterisks, I completely forgot that was a thing. I'll add it in the next version (Can you give me a link to a page that has it so I don't get lost in the site? :p)

As for the subpages, I was considering it, but it slipped my mind. I'll add it to the list :)

Thanks for helping!

Dathen

May 15, 2012
I'm too addicted to tabbed browsing to actually use it (like to open few links in background while reading an article), but I tested it for a while and didn't found any problems. I think that there are people that will find it useful - good job :D.

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Tabbed browsing is an obvious feature to want in a TvTropes app (as the attached comic demonstrates) but it's way over my capabilities (also will probably destroy your RAM and battery :p). Instead, I'm going to create a 'read later' list like there was in the 'Droid Tropes' app - I found it rather useful.

Tip: If you want to know what a link leads to (names of links in TVTropes can be confusing) long-press it, the popup's title will be the link's target.

Attachments

• tab_explosion.jpg
    tab_explosion.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 341

NiveusLuna

Jan 14, 2011
Wylie
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Opera Mobile just doesn't cut it for tvtropes.

Could use some more features to bring it up to speed with the old DroidTropes app. However, this is still a beta and you're still learning. In light of that... 5/5, man.

I will definitely be spreading word of this. Thank you again.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Dathen

May 15, 2012
Tabbed browsing is an obvious feature to want in a TvTropes app (as the attached comic demonstrates) but it's way over my capabilities (also will probably destroy your RAM and battery :p). Instead, I'm going to create a 'read later' list like there was in the 'Droid Tropes' app - I found it rather useful.

Tip: If you want to know what a link leads to (names of links in TVTropes can be confusing) long-press it, the popup's title will be the link's target.
Thanks for info - that was one of the things that I missed too, good to know that it is implemented, but I just didn't know how to use it :) .

I don't think that tabbed browsing would destroy battery. Still, RAM consumption could be rather high, but only if you would load page just after clicking and opening in background. As alternative, you can add it to tab list, but don't actually load it unless it's activated. Apart from that, you can also unload pages opened in background but inactive for long time (when amount used up ram is too high). To save bandwidth, unloaded pages can be saved in temporary files instead of just being removed from memory. Of course, these are just hints that may be useful if you'll want to implement it one day. "To read" list may work just as well as tabbed browsing.

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Thanks for info - that was one of the things that I missed too, good to know that it is implemented, but I just didn't know how to use it :) .

I don't think that tabbed browsing would destroy battery. Still, RAM consumption could be rather high, but only if you would load page just after clicking and opening in background. As alternative, you can add it to tab list, but don't actually load it unless it's activated. Apart from that, you can also unload pages opened in background but inactive for long time (when amount used up ram is too high). To save bandwidth, unloaded pages can be saved in temporary files instead of just being removed from memory. Of course, these are just hints that may be useful if you'll want to implement it one day. "To read" list may work just as well as tabbed browsing.

Oh well, I'm still learning. Thanks for the details :)
First in queue are the sub-pages and the asterisks (already done the asterisks code, hope I'll finish the sub-pages thing by the weekend).

therealrayzzor

Jul 6, 2010
Neo Louisiana
Had force close when tapping on hidden text but hell that didn't matter to me since I'm such a TvTropes addict I'm just glad somebody is back doing an app for it

Sent from my.........phone...

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Just finished writing the next version. Need to stress-test it a little before I let it out to the world, but the main new feature (other than Asterisks support) is that on pages with sub-pages (name-spaces) a submenu will appear in the menu with links to all sub-pages.
Tomorrow morning (it's 2:24 AM :() I'll give it one last test, a good cleanup, and let you guys have at it.
If everything's as planned, for the next version after that I'll have a new welcome screen, and hopefully - though I'm promising nothing yet - 'read later'.
See ya guys tomorrow!

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Update: Version 0.2β is up.

Changelog:
  • Added hidden 'additional information' support (asterisks) - thanks to Blackadder18
  • Added support for 'Sub-Pages' (in the menu, where available) - thanks to Blackadder18
  • Bugs squashed:
    • No longer cancels loading on touch
    • Slight improvement to error-handling
    • Some minor behind-the-scenes code adjustments.

New Known Issues:
Some 'sub-pages' may not parse correctly and throw an error. Please report those in this thread and/or the 'Issues' tab in the Google-code website.

Download:
AndroidTroper 0.2β
chart

Have a great weekend everybody, I'll continue work next week after I've done some studying. Math's a b*tch.

Reactions: Blackadder18

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the unfortunate demise of "Droid Tropes", the (previously) only "TvTropes" app, I was feeling in need. I also wanted to learn how to write Android apps.
    So I created "Android Troper" (originally named "This Troper" and re-named due to community objections):

2nvrmkh.png

Features:
    • Browse and read TVTropes articles!
    • Be safe with spoilers hidden by default - read them by clicking!
    • Search the website for articles of your interest
    • Bored? Use the 'Random' button for a random article

Screenshots:

This is my first app so don't expect anything brilliant. It's currently 'working' at best, and I'm still learning.

That being said, I would love to hear comments, ideas and bug reports, all at our Google+ page!

Download:
    For the latest official version (from the Google Play Store), either click here or scan this with your phone:

As it's getting harder to maintain this thread, please join our Google+ fanpage at: https://plus.google.com/117422405870944934987/
    Or, if you wish to be a beta tester, join our beta community at:
    https://plus.google.com/communities/115867056783462566229/

Excellent work.
    I like it!

Smaller text size support would be nice.