[APP] AppDash: Tag, sort & backup (beta)

Search This thread

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
I've tested the SMB backup several times and it is working fine but I have noticed an issue you may want to investigate. When I toggle back to the internal storage backup location, backup does not auto-start on those apps which have been updated over the past few days. First I tried refreshing, then force stopping the app. Even when the app starts back up, the apps are shown as needing backup, but the backup doesn't start. It is only when I manually select them and force a backup does it work. AD has always automatically updated backups when first started. So after a successful, automatic backup of stale apps over SMB then toggling over to internal storage a user has to manually select the apps (clearly indicated as out of date) and force a backup. Is there a way to trigger the auto-backup after selecting a different saved backup location? Failing that, create a new context menu item to backup only those files that are outdated. This option would seem to be a no brainer because currently there is only a "backup all auto-backups" option which updates all of them, not just the outdated apps. Everything works as expected if a user sticks with one single backup location, but toggling to a different location is when the issue occurs. Thanks!

Update all backups from the context menu will update all the outdated backups

There will also be a sync locations option added later.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Update all backups from the context menu will update all the outdated backups

There will also be a sync locations option added later.
I have a set of apps that are all non-system. This is my auto-backup set which seldom changes. What I am looking for is to backup only the outdated backups since the last run. AD already quickly checks/flags these and is the most efficient (and fastest) backup method. Maybe I'm selecting the wrong action, but I don't think I am seeing a selective backup. Does "update all backups" perform this selective backup, or force a refresh of all backups? Agree that forcing a refresh of all backups is needed in some rare cases (eg. right before wiping the phone) but most of the time the selective backup is all that is needed and would save time, especially when the sync locations option is added later. Thanks.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
I have a set of apps that are all non-system. This is my auto-backup set which seldom changes. What I am looking for is to backup only the outdated backups since the last run. AD already quickly checks/flags these and is the most efficient (and fastest) backup method. Maybe I'm selecting the wrong action, but I don't think I am seeing a selective backup. Does "update all backups" perform this selective backup, or force a refresh of all backups? Agree that forcing a refresh of all backups is needed in some rare cases (eg. right before wiping the phone) but most of the time the selective backup is all that is needed and would save time, especially when the sync locations option is added later. Thanks.
It just does the ones that are out of date

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
It just does the ones that are out of date
Ok, that is exactly what I am looking for but on latest my test just now I had 4 apps that were updated today. When I opened AD and switched to internal storage (from SMB) after a quick re-scan those same 4 were flagged but the backup process did not start by itself (our previous discussion). I then I chose "update all backups" it proceeded to update all 53 backups. Judging from the time of the backup and the progress meter, it was not skipping over any. I confirmed this by checking file timestamps in my AD backup folder. All my backups were refreshed, not just the outdated ones. Maybe to do with switching from one location to another? Is it possible the backups which are current are skipped over but the timestamp is changed? These are not huge issues to me and I am happy with the product overall. I don't see others providing much feedback so just let me know when you get tired of hearing from me! 😉

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Ok, that is exactly what I am looking for but on latest my test just now I had 4 apps that were updated today. When I opened AD and switched to internal storage (from SMB) after a quick re-scan those same 4 were flagged but the backup process did not start by itself (our previous discussion). I then I chose "update all backups" it proceeded to update all 53 backups. Judging from the time of the backup and the progress meter, it was not skipping over any. I confirmed this by checking file timestamps in my AD backup folder. All my backups were refreshed, not just the outdated ones. Maybe to do with switching from one location to another? Is it possible the backups which are current are skipped over but the timestamp is changed? These are not huge issues to me and I am happy with the product overall. I don't see others providing much feedback so just let me know when you get tired of hearing from me! 😉
It works the way I described without root, but backs up everything with root. Now I remember doing that deliberately, assuming users wanted fresh backups of their data (with root). I'm going to separate these options for root users

Reactions: v12xke

rayman95

Jan 14, 2009
monaco
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I thanks for your work..just want to ask if I made something wrong..I tried to backup apps+data on LOS 18.1 GSI with @phhusson su but its stuck on performing backup since 45 mns and the backup folder have 3 apps...I tried many times, but got same issue....
Any ideas??

I forget to say that I have microG and not gapps, maybe it's important

Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
I thanks for your work..just want to ask if I made something wrong..I tried to backup apps+data on LOS 18.1 GSI with @phhusson su but its stuck on performing backup since 45 mns and the backup folder have 3 apps...I tried many times, but got same issue....
Any ideas??

I forget to say that I have microG and not gapps, maybe it's important
You shouldn't need any Google stuff for backups unless the location is set to GDrive.

Can you try with Magisk?

Reactions: rayman95

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
It works the way I described without root, but backs up everything with root. Now I remember doing that deliberately, assuming users wanted fresh backups of their data (with root). I'm going to separate these options for root users
Backups are working both on SMB and Local, but AD only starts backing up automatically on the last backup location selected. In order to get my offline (SMB) backups started I switch locations and then have to manually select those apps which have been updated (!) and then initiate the backup. As l I am rooted AD will re-do ALL backups unless selected manually. Also, after manually selecting apps to be backed up, a box pops up displaying the size of both app and data and allowing a selection of app/data separately with checkboxes. This box does not appear when AD first starts up and begins auto-backup. Maybe I missed it but I don't find this setting anywhere, so would like to know which is the default? App only, or (if rooted) App+Data? Seems like this should be a user defined setting or at least consistent across all backup locations. This would mean there would be a new setting to define this globally. Maybe this will be sorted when you include the "backup all locations" feature? Cheers! PS... I tested Drive and it works as expected, rooted with Magisk 24.3.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Backups are working both on SMB and Local, but AD only starts backing up automatically on the last backup location selected. In order to get my offline (SMB) backups started I switch locations and then have to manually select those apps which have been updated (!) and then initiate the backup. As l I am rooted AD will re-do ALL backups unless selected manually. Also, after manually selecting apps to be backed up, a box pops up displaying the size of both app and data and allowing a selection of app/data separately with checkboxes. This box does not appear when AD first starts up and begins auto-backup. Maybe I missed it but I don't find this setting anywhere, so would like to know which is the default? App only, or (if rooted) App+Data? Seems like this should be a user defined setting or at least consistent across all backup locations. This would mean there would be a new setting to define this globally. Maybe this will be sorted when you include the "backup all locations" feature? Cheers! PS... I tested Drive and it works as expected, rooted with Magisk 24.3.
Auto backup will backup the same parts that were previously backed up, and it will use the primary backup location. In the future you will be able to sync to another location

Reactions: tiho5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use the same library for this as Solid Explorer, so it should be working. The fact you connected means it should work, as it wouldn't let you pass the setup screen without successfully connecting and creating the backup directory.

Can you check your Nas to see if the AppDash directory was created in the place you intended?

Share box needs to be the share name, then optionally, any existing directory. Obviously the share needs to be writable by the user you logged in with. Check all the settings.

If you can set it to SMB2, that's better, as the SMBJ library is most compatible with that version (although I successfully used it with SMB3, it may not work with some advanced options or configs)

The network discovery is completely independent of everything else. I may work on that later. IP address is easy enough for now
    I got it working using my admin credentials instead of guest. I had also been creating the AD folder myself. I deleted the target AD folder, deleted the backup location profile from within AD and then created a new backup location using my credentials instead of guest. Guest should be working with r-w-x perms as it does in SE but glad to have it working now. Just backed up 45 apps and the batch completed successfully. Thanks!

As a side note my NAS is set to permit SMB2/3 connections and Synology recommends disabling SMB1 as it is deemed insecure. There is no way I see to select which type an app uses. My Windows PC defaults to SMB3, VLC in Linux uses SMB3, SE defaults to SMB2 and it seems AD defaults to SMB3. At least that is what I am seeing in my logs.
    Did you try to set the AppDash backup location to the USB stick? I am able to connect a USB stick and use it for backups.
    I found that after I logged off last night. I was looking for Disc. Works great.
    Nice work.
    Any other feedback on the backup locations?

I barely hear anything about this app. I don't even know if the GDrive stuff is working for people or not.
    Any other feedback on the backup locations?

I barely hear anything about this app. I don't even know if the GDrive stuff is working for people or not.

Google tells me it is currently installed on over 25,000 devices, although only 180 people have paid. I don't know if people installed it and forgot about it or are pirating.

If you are pirating, please pay for it. I've spent a lot of money on this in addition to basically working full time on it. This is a huge effort and I'm very disappointed in the reception. The only reason I continue working on it is because I think it's a great app and I've already invested so much in it, but soon I will have to draw the line because I can't spend all my time on something where I haven't even made enough money to pay for the translations.
    Hang in there! I am a paid AD user (one-time payment) who appreciates your work and ongoing support of the Nexus/Pixel line. I use AD in the same way used TiBu for over a decade and this is a much better app. Cloud storage is a welcome feature. Google Drive works fine here... it was very easy to set up... but I only use my Drive space for Google Photos.
    Re: Google: Maybe 25k users have installed it at one time it but probably did not continue using it after the trial expired. I just do not believe there are that many active users. Maybe try offering a discounted price over major holidays and see if that price drop increases your traffic. I hate subscriptions so I pay one time or I don't pay.
    launcher_nobackground.png

AppDash: Tag, sort & backup

AppDash is an app management tool which shows detailed information about your apps and allows tagging, backup and restore.

Download
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.appdashboard

Join the beta program
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/flar2.appdashboard

AppDash has been in development for over two years and incorporates everything that I've personally wanted out of an app manager. I've put a great deal of effort into the user interface, with the goal of making it convenient and intuitive, simple yet detailed, with a polished and pleasant look and feel. I hope you enjoy and find it useful. Please leave your feedback here in this thread, as the app is still under heavy development.

Screenshot_20210708-103446.png

FEATURES:
    • Tag your apps, perform batch actions, see screentime by tag, share app lists
    • Backup and restore apps
    • Analyze, extract and install APK, APKS, XAPK, APKM and split apk files
    • Deep app info, including manifest, components, screentime, install/update history and metadata
    • Search, sort and filter apps

Explore
    See new and updated apps, quick summaries of tags, app usage, storage, unused and recently uninstalled apps

Apps
    A searchable list of installed apps. Long press or tap the app icon to select one or more apps for batch actions, such as backup or uninstall

Tags
    Another way to visualize your apps, you can create up to 30 customizable tag groups, and easily add or remove apps. Perform batch actions, such as backup or create sharable lists of apps.

The autotag feature will categorize your apps automatically. You can easily delete these tags and create your own, or modify them in any way you wish.

Backups
    A searchable, sortable, filterable list of backups, including batch actions. First, you must choose a directory where AppDash will store your backups. It is strongly recommended to create a new directory for AppDash.

For root users, AppDash offers full backup and restore of apps, app data, external app data and expansion (OBB) files. Please note that some apps don't like backup and restore, so use at your own risk. For non-root users, only the apk will be backed up, no data.

For both root and non-root users, you can enable the auto backup feature, which will automatically back up apps whenever they are updated.

Tools
    The Tools screen allows quick access to app history, usage and tools to install or analyze APK files. AppDash can handle many formats such as APK, APKS, XAPK and APKM.

Navigation and UI
    AppDash is a new class of app that allows deep navigation. Each tab works independently, with its own backstack, allowing you to multitask and compare app details between tabs. You can always return to the beginning by tapping the icon in the bottom navigation bar twice or with the back button or gesture.

You can think of the Explore tab as home, pressing back enough times will always bring you back to Explore before exiting the app.

Almost everything int he app does something, so tap or long press icons, cards or text within the app and there is a good chance something will happen.

App Details
    All the info you could ever want about an app, with a bottom drawer full of actions such as launch, backup, uninstall, share, extract and more. View internal details such as permissions, manifest and app components.

History
    Maintains a list of app events. The longer AppDash is installed, the more info will be shown. On first launch, it only shows first install time and most recent update. From the time AppDash is installed, it will also keep track of version codes, uninstalls, updates, reinstalls and downgrades.

Usage
    Get details about screen time and number of launches. By default, a weekly average is shown. Tap on the bar graph to show details for each day. You may show usage details for individual apps, or for tags.

Large Apps
    Shows all apps using at least 100MB of storage. For root users, you can also quickly wipe cache to increase disk space.

Install APKs
    Launches the system file chooser so you can select one or more APK, APKS, XAPK or APKM files to install.

APK Analyzer
    Similar to the App Details screen, this scans the selected APK, APKS, XAPK or APKM file to get deep information about the app. You may also launch the APK Analyzer from most file explorers by clicking "Open with" and selecting AppDash.

Privacy
    As with all my apps, there are no ads and no user data is collected or monetized. The only revenue is from subscription or in-app purchase. There is a free trial, but you must purchase the app or a subscription to continuing using AppDash for more than seven days. This charge is necessary to support development and expenses.
    I added "select all" to the latest version
    Hi flar
    Congratulations for new app
    Tested for short time and really nice app.
    Some features suggestions if can be bring in future
    - Cloud backup. As Samsung have dropped SD card support, this will be in demand in future and very convenient, also spares space on device.
    - Multiple schedule backup, like
    Backup of "a tagged" app at given time
    Backup of updated app at given time
    Backup of newly installed app (where there is no backup of app) at given time
    - Backup of messages & call logs
    - Protect backup - If tag/mark any backup protected, deleting mass backup shouldn't delete it, also this protected backup doesn't considered in max backup. For example, I have set maximum backup 5, protected backup should not consider a backup and allow to make backup protected one +5
    Sorry in advanced if missed something as tested for limited time only
    Regards,
    I'm going to make a series of short videos to highlight some of the lesser known features of AppDash.

Here's the first one, demonstrating how to create a sharable list of apps:
    @flar2
    Are there any plans to integrate cloud storage (preferred) or make it easier to store backups offline? I have always kept a copy of backups on my PC or in cloud storage. At the moment I am zipping the AD backup folder into a single file and transferring which is cumbersome. Even old TiBu had cloud integration which always worked. I use Solid Explorer and it's cloud management is outstanding. 👍
    Yes, cloud storage is coming. I haven't had time to work on this lately, I will be coming back to it soon.