[APP] AppDash: Tag, sort & backup (beta)

Search This thread

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
I don't know, it works for me every time. You should only get that message if the app doesn't have root.

Which screen are you trying to do this from?

It has root, as it can restore data for apps.

I go to the "backups" tab, then tap on the app in the list of backed up apps, then tap on the "restore" button.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
It has root, as it can restore data for apps.

I go to the "backups" tab, then tap on the app in the list of backed up apps, then tap on the "restore" button.
That's not possible, you will never see that message pressing restore from the list of backups if you have root. It will always replace earlier versions, I just did it with several apps to test it.

You would see that "uninstall" message if you click on the backup and go to the backup version details screen and press install, or if you choose and apk and do it from the apk details screen, or if not rooted.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
That's not possible, you will never see that message pressing restore from the list of backups if you have root. It will always replace earlier versions, I just did it with several apps to test it.

You would see that "uninstall" message if you click on the backup and go to the backup version details screen and press install, or if you choose and apk and do it from the apk details screen, or if not rooted.

Here's what I am doing. Please, check the video.

Attachments

• Screen_Recording_20210922-231432.mp4
    601.3 KB · Views: 0

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
That's the error message after attempting installation. Not sure why it would say that, as the code allows downgrades and any I've attempted have succeeded. Maybe it's something with that app.

So far I've tried downgrading 3 or 4 apps. I am really busy to make longer tests these days. But this is actually all the apps I have tried to downgrade. So I have this every time for every app.

I just found one more app that I have older version of and I tried with it too. The result was the same.

Could it be that this device is still on Android 9?

I have root and I guarantee that everything root related works absolutely fine here. Even AppDash restores app's data fine every time, which also requires root.

There's something else to it...

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
So far I've tried downgrading 3 or 4 apps. I am really busy to make longer tests these days. But this is actually all the apps I have tried to downgrade. So I have this every time for every app.

I just found one more app that I have older version of and I tried with it too. The result was the same.

Could it be that this device is still on Android 9?

I have root and I guarantee that everything root related works absolutely fine here. Even AppDash restores app's data fine every time, which also requires root.

There's something else to it...

The new version works fine now. Thank you @flar2

I want to ask a new thing.

Could you please make an import/export backup. That way one could transfer an app with all its settings to another device. I know that not all apps allow this, but I have some very complicated apps that have a ton of settings and preferences which I am able to transfer.

I think the share button on the screenshot attached will share only the app. But what if it could share the backup?

For instance this LAN wake up app from the screenshot. I have a list with dozens of computers that are set up in it, so that I can wake them up. I don't like when I install the app to each new device to have to input all this information for each computer and its address again. That's why I like backup and restore apps / rooted devices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211027-000619_AppDash.jpg
    Screenshot_20211027-000619_AppDash.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: flar2

loopypalm

Jul 8, 2016
Osaka
I don't know, van you provide more details?
this is the crash log :

Code:
Process: flar2.appdashboard
PID: 2285
UID: 10044
Flags: 0x30e8be44
Package: flar2.appdashboard v127 (1.27)
Foreground: Yes
Build: google/redfin/redfin:11/RQ3A.210805.001.A1/7474174:user/release-keys

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String java.io.File.getAbsolutePath()' on a null object reference
    at s4.u.d(:2)
    at y0.b.c(:36)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData.b(Unknown Source:29)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData.c(Unknown Source:44)
    at androidx.lifecycle.s.l(:1)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData$a.run(Unknown Source:18)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:883)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:100)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:214)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7398)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:940)

Root granted and a folder to backup is set
i can't access it's permissions to grant storage manually , is this the cause ?

Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
this is the crash log :

Code:
Process: flar2.appdashboard
PID: 2285
UID: 10044
Flags: 0x30e8be44
Package: flar2.appdashboard v127 (1.27)
Foreground: Yes
Build: google/redfin/redfin:11/RQ3A.210805.001.A1/7474174:user/release-keys

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String java.io.File.getAbsolutePath()' on a null object reference
    at s4.u.d(:2)
    at y0.b.c(:36)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData.b(Unknown Source:29)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData.c(Unknown Source:44)
    at androidx.lifecycle.s.l(:1)
    at androidx.lifecycle.LiveData$a.run(Unknown Source:18)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:883)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:100)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:214)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7398)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:940)

Root granted and a folder to backup is set
i can't access it's permissions to grant storage manually , is this the cause ?
Probably, did you delete or disable the system files app? It is required to grant the storage permission (for this and many other apps going forward)

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
@flar2
Are there any plans to integrate cloud storage (preferred) or make it easier to store backups offline? I have always kept a copy of backups on my PC or in cloud storage. At the moment I am zipping the AD backup folder into a single file and transferring which is cumbersome. Even old TiBu had cloud integration which always worked. I use Solid Explorer and its cloud management is outstanding. 👍

Attachments

• sreeenshot.jpg
    sreeenshot.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
@flar2
Are there any plans to integrate cloud storage (preferred) or make it easier to store backups offline? I have always kept a copy of backups on my PC or in cloud storage. At the moment I am zipping the AD backup folder into a single file and transferring which is cumbersome. Even old TiBu had cloud integration which always worked. I use Solid Explorer and it's cloud management is outstanding. 👍
Yes, cloud storage is coming. I haven't had time to work on this lately, I will be coming back to it soon.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
@flar2
Hey man, hope you're doing well.
I use this Magisk module to debloat a couple Apps like Music (and a few others) on crDroid Android 11 - Pixel 5, that don't allow me to disable within System.
I was delighted to discover that AppDash can disable applications, including the Music App, thus allowing me to remove the module.
However once I disable it, I can no longer find the app in the AppDash App list, or in my Settings > Applications list menu.
I'm sure it's something simple I am missing, but any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
@flar2
Hey man, hope you're doing well.
I use this Magisk module to debloat a couple Apps like Music (and a few others) on crDroid Android 11 - Pixel 5, that don't allow me to disable within System.
I was delighted to discover that AppDash can disable applications, including the Music App, thus allowing me to remove the module.
However once I disable it, I can no longer find the app in the AppDash App list, or in my Settings > Applications list menu.
I'm sure it's something simple I am missing, but any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
The apps still show up in AppDash even if disabled (unless the module does something else). Make sure you haven't filtered disabled apps on the app screen

Reactions: andybones

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
The apps still show up in AppDash even if disabled (unless the module does something else). Make sure you haven't filtered disabled apps on the app screen
Thanks for the reply!
So didn't have them filtered, and by module you mean the one I mentioned about debloat? I removed that and all remnants as it's no longer needed.
However, enabling "Show non-launchable apps" got it to show.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I suspect the module disabled the apps and also hid them from the launcher
This is correct, it added the .replace into the app folders. So removing the module, or root. Ends up with them restored.

Since I'm rooted and otas aren't available on this ROM I just went and changed the apps I don't want to Xxx.bak as it survives ROM flashing when new ones are out.

Apps that I had disabled, which were ones that allowed me too, we're also hidden until enabling "Show non-launchable apps" as well.
Thanks again!

---------------------
Edit: Popping in again to express my love for this app. It is so well made and the attention to detail is seen, and appreciated.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Reactions: flar2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    launcher_nobackground.png

AppDash: Tag, sort & backup

AppDash is an app management tool which shows detailed information about your apps and allows tagging, backup and restore.

Download
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.appdashboard

Join the beta program
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/flar2.appdashboard

AppDash has been in development for over two years and incorporates everything that I've personally wanted out of an app manager. I've put a great deal of effort into the user interface, with the goal of making it convenient and intuitive, simple yet detailed, with a polished and pleasant look and feel. I hope you enjoy and find it useful. Please leave your feedback here in this thread, as the app is still under heavy development.

Screenshot_20210708-103446.png

FEATURES:
    • Tag your apps, perform batch actions, see screentime by tag, share app lists
    • Backup and restore apps
    • Analyze, extract and install APK, APKS, XAPK, APKM and split apk files
    • Deep app info, including manifest, components, screentime, install/update history and metadata
    • Search, sort and filter apps

Explore
    See new and updated apps, quick summaries of tags, app usage, storage, unused and recently uninstalled apps

Apps
    A searchable list of installed apps. Long press or tap the app icon to select one or more apps for batch actions, such as backup or uninstall

Tags
    Another way to visualize your apps, you can create up to 30 customizable tag groups, and easily add or remove apps. Perform batch actions, such as backup or create sharable lists of apps.

The autotag feature will categorize your apps automatically. You can easily delete these tags and create your own, or modify them in any way you wish.

Backups
    A searchable, sortable, filterable list of backups, including batch actions. First, you must choose a directory where AppDash will store your backups. It is strongly recommended to create a new directory for AppDash.

For root users, AppDash offers full backup and restore of apps, app data, external app data and expansion (OBB) files. Please note that some apps don't like backup and restore, so use at your own risk. For non-root users, only the apk will be backed up, no data.

For both root and non-root users, you can enable the auto backup feature, which will automatically back up apps whenever they are updated.

Tools
    The Tools screen allows quick access to app history, usage and tools to install or analyze APK files. AppDash can handle many formats such as APK, APKS, XAPK and APKM.

Navigation and UI
    AppDash is a new class of app that allows deep navigation. Each tab works independently, with its own backstack, allowing you to multitask and compare app details between tabs. You can always return to the beginning by tapping the icon in the bottom navigation bar twice or with the back button or gesture.

You can think of the Explore tab as home, pressing back enough times will always bring you back to Explore before exiting the app.

Almost everything int he app does something, so tap or long press icons, cards or text within the app and there is a good chance something will happen.

App Details
    All the info you could ever want about an app, with a bottom drawer full of actions such as launch, backup, uninstall, share, extract and more. View internal details such as permissions, manifest and app components.

History
    Maintains a list of app events. The longer AppDash is installed, the more info will be shown. On first launch, it only shows first install time and most recent update. From the time AppDash is installed, it will also keep track of version codes, uninstalls, updates, reinstalls and downgrades.

Usage
    Get details about screen time and number of launches. By default, a weekly average is shown. Tap on the bar graph to show details for each day. You may show usage details for individual apps, or for tags.

Large Apps
    Shows all apps using at least 100MB of storage. For root users, you can also quickly wipe cache to increase disk space.

Install APKs
    Launches the system file chooser so you can select one or more APK, APKS, XAPK or APKM files to install.

APK Analyzer
    Similar to the App Details screen, this scans the selected APK, APKS, XAPK or APKM file to get deep information about the app. You may also launch the APK Analyzer from most file explorers by clicking "Open with" and selecting AppDash.

Privacy
    As with all my apps, there are no ads and no user data is collected or monetized. The only revenue is from subscription or in-app purchase. There is a free trial, but you must purchase the app or a subscription to continuing using AppDash for more than seven days. This charge is necessary to support development and expenses.
    I added "select all" to the latest version
    I'm going to make a series of short videos to highlight some of the lesser known features of AppDash.

Here's the first one, demonstrating how to create a sharable list of apps:
    Hi flar
    Congratulations for new app
    Tested for short time and really nice app.
    Some features suggestions if can be bring in future
    - Cloud backup. As Samsung have dropped SD card support, this will be in demand in future and very convenient, also spares space on device.
    - Multiple schedule backup, like
    Backup of "a tagged" app at given time
    Backup of updated app at given time
    Backup of newly installed app (where there is no backup of app) at given time
    - Backup of messages & call logs
    - Protect backup - If tag/mark any backup protected, deleting mass backup shouldn't delete it, also this protected backup doesn't considered in max backup. For example, I have set maximum backup 5, protected backup should not consider a backup and allow to make backup protected one +5
    Sorry in advanced if missed something as tested for limited time only
    Regards,
    @flar2
    Are there any plans to integrate cloud storage (preferred) or make it easier to store backups offline? I have always kept a copy of backups on my PC or in cloud storage. At the moment I am zipping the AD backup folder into a single file and transferring which is cumbersome. Even old TiBu had cloud integration which always worked. I use Solid Explorer and it's cloud management is outstanding. 👍
    Yes, cloud storage is coming. I haven't had time to work on this lately, I will be coming back to it soon.