[APP] AppStarter v4.0 | AppDrawer and Kodi / SPMC Updater for Amazon FireTV

Search This thread

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
I was just curious if I have a rooted Fire TV Gen 1, will FireStopper work on it with the home button launching and everything?

-J
It depends on the Fire TV OS version. You can see what version under Fire TV Settings / Device / About (something like that). If you didn't block updates you are likely updated to a version of Fire TV that gives a message when you double click home explaining that now you can place your apps directly on your home screen, which is true it works awesome so no need for FireStopper. If you are on an earlier version such as especially if you are rooted with your update service package disabled using adb shell then you likely can run it. I was on 5.051 or whatever with Fire TV 2 and Amazon stopped my prime from working without specifying why. I have TWRP so I simply updated to a later Amazon version, which disallowed FireStarter and I could still run Kodi while having my Amazon prime. Amazon is pretty serious about their home screen. I can change the key code to be long press back button or something but Amazon would take it down and honestly I'm not trying to get on their bad list. Amazon completely disabled the ability to use a key code with the Home button for programmers, they removed the keycode.

If you have root access or you are running a version that can get root access I might suggest as an alternative for you to install a customer recovery called TWRP. Then install a later Fire TV version using Rbox prerooted roms. There may, or may not, be a problem downgrading your firmware again later. (I work on a lot of devices I apologize I don't remember on that subject with this device so Google it if that's important)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/development/prerooted-stock-images-t2882337

Here's a great website for rooting your device, I think 5.2.1.0 is the last version that is rootable if you don't have root already
http://www.aftvnews.com/?s=root+fire+tv+1&submit=Go

The later version of Fire TV runs smoother, it allows Kodi and Private VPN to be on your home screen and everything works great. Amazon Prime, Netflix, Showtime, HBO are all not on any VPN of course, they don't work on the VPN lol

Reactions: nbaj2k and Krog18

Krog18

Apr 3, 2016
Akron
It depends on the Fire TV OS version. You can see what version under Fire TV Settings / Device / About (something like that). If you didn't block updates you are likely updated to a version of Fire TV that gives a message when you double click home explaining that now you can place your apps directly on your home screen, which is true it works awesome so no need for FireStopper. If you are on an earlier version such as especially if you are rooted with your update service package disabled using adb shell then you likely can run it. I was on 5.051 or whatever with Fire TV 2 and Amazon stopped my prime from working without specifying why. I have TWRP so I simply updated to a later Amazon version, which disallowed FireStarter and I could still run Kodi while having my Amazon prime. Amazon is pretty serious about their home screen. I can change the key code to be long press back button or something but Amazon would take it down and honestly I'm not trying to get on their bad list. Amazon completely disabled the ability to use a key code with the Home button for programmers, they removed the keycode.

If you have root access or you are running a version that can get root access I might suggest as an alternative for you to install a customer recovery called TWRP. Then install a later Fire TV version using Rbox prerooted roms. There may, or may not, be a problem downgrading your firmware again later. (I work on a lot of devices I apologize I don't remember on that subject with this device so Google it if that's important)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/development/prerooted-stock-images-t2882337

Here's a great website for rooting your device, I think 5.2.1.0 is the last version that is rootable if you don't have root already

The later version of Fire TV runs smoother, it allows Kodi and Private VPN to be on your home screen and everything works great. Amazon Prime, Netflix, Showtime, HBO are all not on any VPN of course, they don't work on the VPN lol
Man that's a lot of good info that I wish I would've known about a month ago. I had updates blocked with adb on 5.0.5.1 and used Firestarter. I was having issues with certain apps so I ended up unblocking updates and updated to the latest firmware about a month ago. I wish I would've known I could've flashed a prerooted rom instead. My own fault for not doing the proper research. I'm very familiar with TWRP, but didn't even think to see if there were any roms for the fire tv. Oh well...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nbaj2k

Mar 22, 2004

I really appreciate the info thanks! My Fire TV Gen 1 has updates turned off and is on the last OS that can be rooted I was just debating if I wanted to or not. If I could get an app like FireStopper working and run that adb command so that it isn't on the blacklist (just need to find it somewhere) it might be worth it.

-J

männle

Nov 30, 2012
I'm using the firestopper app from jkchr1s on my fire tv box. Now I have a streaming server and when I turn the power on for both devices, kodi starts too fast. So it can't load the PVR settings, channels and stuff like that. I have to close Kodi and to start it again. Really annoying and uncomfortable! Is there a way to influence the time for starting kodi after booting?

Thx for reply

Last edited:

piruzinho

Dec 8, 2010

This is excellent advice - I have the very latest rbox prerooted, TWRP, all working - but damned if i can't get SPMC to launch at startup - OR the home button to function to go back to SPMC (or any other app). Nor can I add SPMC to the apps list... Damnit.... Any tips?

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
This is excellent advice - I have the very latest rbox prerooted, TWRP, all working - but damned if i can't get SPMC to launch at startup - OR the home button to function to go back to SPMC (or any other app). Nor can I add SPMC to the apps list... Damnit.... Any tips?
I'm running 5.2.4.0_r1 on Sloane = Fire TV box 2 with Kodi RC1 17.1 Krypton 64 bit. I am using Schism TV Anniversary Edition. I'm afraid to change it because it runs awesome, I never have a problem finding anything and it runs awesome. Sorry I don't remember where to get that build version but I'm sure the newest versions will be great also. By the way I use Private Internet Access with their Android app I plug in a mouse and then just use VPN with Kodi so my ip is hidden, and I'm safe from attack.

https://kodi.tv/download/

E--Man

May 1, 2012
Is there any future of getting home button detection with rbox's newer OS5 ROOTED ROMS? Not sure what is preventing an implementation of this with root and/or Xposed..... Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeepolar

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Is there any future of getting home button detection with rbox's newer OS5 ROOTED ROMS? Not sure what is preventing an implementation of this with root and/or Xposed..... Thanks.
As long as your device is ROOTED there is now:

I heard about XPosed Edge Pro from the Playing with Fire Mod. And after someone asked the same ? over a dozen times (SrTommy) over @ AFTVNews.com. I decided to test one of the XPosed modules in reguards to key remapping & auto boot. Glad I finally did. Will quote my posts over @ AFTVNews.com here. Since I don't want to have to re-write them. Plan to do a pic walk thru later today explaining what few settings I change to get the desired mods.

Bottom line. If you have ROOT, you no longer are stuck with FireOS 5..0.5 because of FireStarter. You can also upgrade to AppStarter & get the same features thanks to XPosed Edge Module.

New Pre-Rooted ROMs for the Fire TV 1, 2, and Stick have just been released

There are some XPosed modules that will help you do that on any PreRooted version including the latest (It’s good to be the king aka It’s good to be rooted). Although one is old (Xposed Additions) & might mess up voice searching & the other is an updated Paid mod that might works on double/long press home tapping (GravityBox (LP)). Now there is also another XPosed mode called XPosed Edge Pro that can probably does the most of any other module. It is the base for the most FireOS to AndroidTV mod ever completed.

Links to folks posts about them below:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general/useful-xposed-modules-mod-apps-to-t3380531/page2

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general/total-mod-playing-fire-complete-t3629990

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/xposed-edgepro-v2-0-release-t3525566

I would say probably XPosed Edge Pro will be the best option of all 3 to getting FTV button mapping done right. But I haven’t had time to test it out. Please share with us how it goes for you. Either in the comments here or make a post over at XDA. Maybe in the AppStarter thread or create one.

On the XPosed Edge Pro we probably don’t need the Pro version for the simple home key remapping you/we are trying to achieve. Seems the Pro features are related to:

– Conditional(pro only): is screen on, keyguard on, wifi connected/disconnected, battery level, time period, wifi connected to, app focused…
– Action list(pro only).
– Saved action list(pro only).

Try it out. The Pro version is only $1.99 so it’s very cheap for all this module can do. And it’s really being developed right now. Bet if AFTV device owners run into a bug. We should be able to request an update to fix things.

Gave it a try. And wow, love this module. It’s very good. And so feature packed. Really worth the $1.99 for the Pro version to support it’s developer.

I now have AppStarter 4.0 smoothly auto boot at startup. It doesn’t even do the Amazon screen flick it use to do with FireStarter before. It just boots straight into AppStarter. When ever I single click Home it goes smoothly into AppStarter. When I double click Home it goes back to the Amazon UI (might change this to go into settings) & I left the long press as default.

It runs silky smooth. And although one time when I was playing with the settings. They overlapped. I just went out of the Edge’s settings & back in to fix that. Just a minor visual hangup. Very minor one time bug.

Careful with the module. It is very specific & feature packed. Remember what stuff you messed with so you don’t have to go back to stock or clean the cache & data if you change to many things or the wrong things. Not all the settings will work on the FTV since it’s a XPosed module for both phones & tablets. But it should let you mod just about anything you want on your FTV that is possible.

Will post this info over & XDA & will try to make a pic walk thru on the changes I made to get it working just right later today. Just two settings & couple of boxes checked. Thanks for your ? I got off my butt & actually tried it out.

Happy 4th of July everybody!!!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

NOTE: shwru980r just posted that his FireStarter started working (auto started after reboot) again in the latest FW update. Seems it might of been taken off the blacklist of apps. Not sure if it's temporary & if any of the ADB base options are working again too or not. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaydee 77

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
I have an older version of Firestarter on my rooted Fire TV. When I'm at the Firestarter Home Screen, and click on Fire TV Settings, the settings screen opens for a couple seconds, and then goes back to the Firestarter Home Screen. Does anyone know what's wrong?

DerNetzreporter

Nov 23, 2012
is it possible to add a shortcut to search prime video stuff from the AppStarter?
I dont want to switch back to the FireTV Stick launcher, to watch the prime exclusive videos.

ultimatetechnews

Oct 29, 2017
dd

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

After your feedback, I tried to fix the remaining problems especially on the FireTV-Stick. I had again no FireTV-Stick to test the changes but I'm pretty sure my changes will rule out the problems. Please tell me if it works on your devices :)

v2.1
  • Fixed problems on FireTV-Stick (which by default has multiple local adb-devices), thanks to harlekinrains for logcat-infos
  • Added app version to info view

Hit THANKS button if you like it! :)

https://www.ultimate-tech-news.com/...-kodi-firestick-2017-ultimate-trick100-works/

Reactions: jkohl0805

Skick3

Mar 11, 2015
Die Updateroutine für Kodi Nightly Builds findet die apk Dateien nicht mehr
---
The Update-Mechanism dosent workt für Kodi Nightly Builds anymore. The Path for the apk Files are wrong.

vishnumrao

Jan 6, 2014
How do I set AppStarter as the default launcher? When I reboot, Amazon's fugly home shows up! Is there anything special to be done to set AppStarter to start on a reboot?

Installed v4.0 on a fully updated Gen 1 firetv stick.

vishnumrao

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks. That worked.

Only thing that does not work is the "press home button" to go to appstarter. mine goes straight to the Amazon launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Or buy me a cup of coffee, donation-link on GitHub

appstarter-logo_small.png
    AppStarter

AppStarter: An AppDrawer and Kodi / SPMC Updater for Amazon FireTV:
    This App is Open-Source, visit AppStarter on GitHub: https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter

• Lists all user-installed apps including sideloaded / adb installed apps.
    • Apps can be easily sorted / ordered by settings-button or click-drag-and-drop (long-click to start drag-and-drop).
    • Apps can be hidden from app drawer (see settings).
    • Kodi and SPMC can be installed and updated directly out of AppStarter (see Updates section).
    • Possibility to change the time of no action the FireTV waits to go to sleep.
    • Possibility to import / export settings.
    • Show system and device informations like Android-Version, Build-Version, Hostname, WiFi- / WLAN Name (SSID), IP Adress and Uptime.
    • Automatic update mechanism.
    • __No root required!__

Reviews / Articles:
    • Just google for "AppStarter FireTV"

Install AppStarter:
    Easy installation in less than 5 minutes with only the FireTV
    https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter/wiki/Install-AppStarter-and-Kodi-(only-FireTV-needed)

Standard installation via ADB
    • If you don't know how to sideload/install apps via ADB, read a tutorial (e.g. this one)
    • Download latest AppStarter APK and sideload/install with adb:
    • adb install -r AppStarter_v4.0.apk
    • Enjoy..
    • TO UPDATE APP: Simply use the integrated updater mechanism.

Why using it:
    • AppStarter provides a nice possiblity to show all user installed Apps.
    • AppStarter provides an Updater for Kodi and SMPC which allows to keep these two Apps up to date in a very convinient way.

Changelog:

v4.0
    • Renamed App to AppStarter
    • Renamed package to de.belu.appstarter
    • Removed home button observation as not needed anymore

v3.2.3
    • Added SPMC updater (possibility to install and update SPMC).
    • Added simplified chinese translation (thx lostindark).

v3.2.2
    • Fixed wrong app start of apps using the leanback-lib (e.g. MagineTV)
    • Updated translations

v3.2.1
    • Fixed "parse packet error" for Kodi updates
    • Added setting to decide which Kodi version is installed / updated (stable, beta / rc, nightly)

v3.2
    • Added possiblity to install / update Kodi (see Updates section). Thank you very much attilaszasz for your contribution!
    • Made "Background for App Names" a bit brighter. Thanks semitop7 for your contribution!
    • Added semi-transparent background for system, updates and settings section if the "Background for App Names" setting is enabled. Thanks semitop7 for your contribution!

v3.1.1
    • Fixed flashing screen / start app problems (disabled JumpbackWatchdog for FireOS5).
    • Updated translations

v3.1
    • Added setting to show background for app names in the app drawer (helps to read app names when wallpaper is used).
    • Added setting to hide left selection bar when on the main screen (app drawer).
    • Fixed backup (export/import) settings feature for FireOS5.
    • Updated russian and ukranian translations (thanks sem_top7 and Kramar111).

v3.0
    • Optimized ADB connection mechansims for FireOS5. Should now work without disable + enable ADB after reboots. Still no parallel ADB connections possible.
    • Added shortcut to ADB settings in AppStarter settings.
    • Added first try of completely new detecting home-button clicks without adb (which is also used as Fallback after 3 failed ADB connects). The new non-ADB observation of the home-button works only if you are on the original Amazon FireTV Home screen. This means if you are in any other App like Kodi, you have to click the home button once to get to the Amazon FireTV Home screen and then you can single or double click the home-button to perform the action desired. In practice that means, you can also add one home button click if you are in another app. If you are for example in Kodi, you can do a double-click to the home-button to perform the single click operation and according to this you can do a triple click to perform the double click action. Sorry for this strange behaviour but due to technical limitations of Android, there is no other possibility without ADB at the moment.
    • Removed restart-option and replaced it with notification how to restart with the remote.
    • Better handling of the jumback-detection -> fixes some unnessecary jumpbacks especially when the click-action is "- No Action -" or "FireTV Home". You can again safely use the jumpback detection (e.g. with default of 5000ms)!
    • Option to start click-action apps with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK -> Previous instances of the App are cleared before start (e.g. AppStarter then starts always on the first icon which is useful for some people with programmable remote's).
    • Everything only tested with FireOS4 on FireTV and with FireOS5 Developer Preview on FireTV-Stick. I am not yet able to test on a FireTV2 with the real FireOS5.

v2.7.2
    • Show device uptime and boot time in system tab
    • Back button returns to main app view if on another tab
    • Removed Go-To-Sleep functionality, as it is anyway possible via long-press home-button. The existing implementation was not reliable enough and made some problems under specific circumstances.

v2.7.1
    • Added russian and ukranian translations (any other language contributions are welcome). Thx to XDA user sem_top7 for the translations!
    • Fixed bug in file selector (no image files found in root-folder)
    • Fixed (hopefully) bug in manual language selection which sometimes lead to a mixed language

v2.7
    • Little redesign of the GUI
    • Added date & time information at top
    • Made the app-icons a little bit smaller (5 apps per row and still big enough)
    • Added customizable icon-size in settings
    • Added possibility to export / import settings
    • Added more informations to the system-tab
    • Added possibility to modify the time of no action till the FireTV goes to sleep
    • Added possibility to go directly to sleep from AppStarter (little hack, setting the time-to-sleep to a very short value and set it back after wake-up)
    • NOTES:
    • Be carefull with the go-to-sleep feature, only tested it on FireTV not on FireTV-Stick. Advanced users give me feedback if it works please :).
    • The setting of the general time of no action till FireTV goes to sleep is safe to use. It is a default Android-Setting which can be edited by apps (I don't understand why Amazon isn't giving us this feature..).

v2.6
    • Custom wallpaper via settings (JPG / PNG cropped to fit screen)
    • Renamed "All Apps" to "Apps" and "Infos" to "System"
    • Added WiFi name to System-Tab
    • Added possibility to reboot FireTV to System-Tab
    • Added FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK and FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK to startup-action (perhaps helps some people reporting weird colors when starting Kodi as startup-action)
    • NOTES:
    • Tried to add sleep-button to bring FireTV to sleep-mode but it seems as this is not possible without root, if anyone knows anything else, please report...
    • Settings ex-/import and more themeable GUI are still on my TODO.
    v2.5
    • Check out settings-button: Added menu for apps to move app (same than long-click) or to open app-specific settings
    • Items in the left selection bar are now also clickable with a mouse
    • Added german translation and manual setting of the current language
    • Spelling corrections
    v2.4.1
    • Apps are not started with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK which lets app resume their last activity.
    • Replaced some icons / made some visual optimizations
    • For timing settings, now the correct inputtype is used (number only keyboard is displayed).
    • Adjusted default-timings (only for fresh installations).
    • Minor fixes.
    v2.4
    • Implemented jumpback prevention watchdog which prevents amazon home from coming to the foreground after click-actions (configurable in settings). Thanks XDA user harlekinrains for this idea.
    • Removed now unnessecary action-delay setting.
    • Added FireTV settings application to apps-list. Thanks XDA user fsi09 for this idea.
    • Some code cleanup / optimization.
    v2.3
    • Fixed ugly bug in settings (kind of endless loop), which caused huge cpu-load and weird behaviour of settings storage.
    • Fixed bug when sysapp were set visible and apps were reordered, sysapps were not hided again on settings change.
    • Allow greater double-click interval and action delay (up to 1000ms).
    v2.2
    • Added adjustable double-click interval and action-delay
    • Reordered settings
    • When going to app-drawer, first icon is automatically focused (configurable in settings)
    • Update service (able to update itself)
    v2.1
    • Fixed problems on FireTV-Stick (which by default has multiple local adb-devices), thanks to harlekinrains for logcat-infos
    • Added AppStarter version to info view
    v2.0
    • Real Home-Button detection, even double-home-button-clicks are captured
    • Completely new GUI with settings and additional Infos
    • Completely configurable actions
    • Hide-App feature

Screenshots:
    appstarter_screenshot_01_small.png
    appstarter_screenshot_02_small.png

appstarter_screenshot_04_small.png
    appstarter_screenshot_05_small.png

Okay guys, here's the deal:

I still haven't heard back from @sphinx02 yet, I'm sure he's busy with other things. I decided to post the patched APK for users with a few caveats:

• This is an unofficial test build. It worked for myself and a few others
    • I changed the version number to a previous version, and auto-update worked and installed the official build of 3.2.3 alongside the patched version. This means that when @sphinx02 releases a new official build, this build will install his. You will need to manually remove this version through Settings -> Applications -> Manage Installed Applications.
    • Previous settings will not be preserved because the package name is different from the official release.
    • All changes are posted to github in my fork here: https://github.com/jkchr1s/FireStarter
    • Fallback home press detection does NOT work. You must use the ADB method in settings. This means, if you install this apk over adb, you must disconnect adb then go in to settings, system, developer options, and disable adb then re-enable adb. After this has completed, you should be able to launch FireStarter and untick and retick the box for ADB detection.
    • This build will only work on FireOS 5. I had to change the minimum sdk to build it on my machine, so I'm not sure it will run on older versions of FireOS.
    • I intentionally left the version number the same so that the in-app updater will not try to install the official Amazon blocked version 3.2.3.
    • Home button double-press is now overridden by FireOS. If you figure out a workaround, please share it!
    • Make sure to thank @sphinx02 for this awesome app! I've been using it for a long time on a daily basis, and very much appreciate his work! :)

So, since the built-in updater successfully installs official versions, attached is the working build to get you by until @sphinx02 can release a proper update.

Enjoy.
    v3

Big update. I have still no own FireTV2 with the real FireOS5 but there is one on the way to me ;). For now I tried to work with the Develooper Preview of FireOS5 on my FireTV-Stick. I optimized the ADB-Observation and created as an alternative a completely new non-ADB home-button detection with some disadvantages. Please read the changelog carefully and let me know if the features are working as described on your FireTVs, FireTV-Sticks and FireTV2s :)

v3
    • Optimized ADB connection mechansims for FireOS5. Should now work without disable + enable ADB after reboots. Still no parallel ADB connections possible.
    • Added shortcut to ADB settings in settings.
    • Added first try of completely new detecting home-button clicks without adb (which is also used as Fallback after 3 failed ADB connects). The new non-ADB observation of the home-button works only if you are on the original Amazon FireTV Home screen. This means if you are in any other App like Kodi, you have to click the home button once to get to the Amazon FireTV Home screen and then you can single or double click the home-button to perform the action desired. In practice that means, you can also add one home button click if you are in another app. If you are for example in Kodi, you can do a double-click to the home-button to perform the single click operation and according to this you can do a triple click to perform the double click action. Sorry for this strange behaviour but due to technical limitations of Android, there is no other possibility without ADB at the moment.
    • Removed restart-option and replaced it with notification how to restart with the remote.
    • Better handling of the jumback-detection -> fixes some unnessecary jumpbacks especially when the click-action is "- No Action -" or "FireTV Home". You can again safely use the jumpback detection (e.g. with default of 5000ms)!
    • Option to start click-action apps with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK -> Previous instances of the App are cleared before start (e.g. the App then starts always on the first icon which is useful for some people with programmable remote's).
    • Everything only tested with FireOS4 on FireTV and with FireOS5 Developer Preview on FireTV-Stick. I am not yet able to test on a FireTV2 with the real FireOS5.

AppStarter

Dear Community,
    a lot of time has passed now since my last update and I guess many of you are already on any other Fork. I really like they way jkchr1s and some others are helping to keep the open source project alive. After Amazon changed a lot since the first days of the Amazon FireTV, I decided to change the App also. As it is now possible to start any sideloaded Apps from the recents menu and to open an App overview with a double click to the home button, the whole home button observation is not needed anymore.

I decided to put the still useful things of the App into the focus and to start clean with a new name: AppStarter is an AppDrawer and Kodi / SPMC installer and updater. I hope you can understand my decision and I also hope that you follow me with AppStarter like you did it previously. Please let me know if there is anything that can make AppStarter more useful!

Best regards
    Lukas aka sphinx02

AppStarter v4.0
    • Renamed App to AppStarter
    • Renamed package to de.belu.appstarter
    • Removed home button observation as not needed anymore

v3.1

Again an update which fixes the settings export on FireOS5 and adds two new features. Thank you all for your feedback and help!

v3.1
    • Added setting to show background for app names in the app drawer (helps to read app names when wallpaper is used).
    • Added setting to hide left selection bar when on the main screen (app drawer).
    • Fixed backup (export/import) settings feature for FireOS5.
    • Updated russian and ukranian translations (thanks sem_top7 and Kramar111).