If you look in the official (built-in) Kodi repo there's an Android installer add-on (by Lunatixz) which allows you to do updates from within Kodi itself. That should perhaps be a viable alternative?
Okay guys, here's the deal:
I still haven't heard back from @sphinx02 yet, I'm sure he's busy with other things. I decided to post the patched APK for users with a few caveats:
- This is an unofficial test build. It worked for myself and a few others
- I changed the version number to a previous version, and auto-update worked and installed the official build of 3.2.3 alongside the patched version. This means that when @sphinx02 releases a new official build, this build will install his. You will need to manually remove this version through Settings -> Applications -> Manage Installed Applications.
- Previous settings will not be preserved because the package name is different from the official release.
- All changes are posted to github in my fork here: https://github.com/jkchr1s/FireStarter
- Fallback home press detection does NOT work. You must use the ADB method in settings. This means, if you install this apk over adb, you must disconnect adb then go in to settings, system, developer options, and disable adb then re-enable adb. After this has completed, you should be able to launch FireStarter and untick and retick the box for ADB detection.
- This build will only work on FireOS 5. I had to change the minimum sdk to build it on my machine, so I'm not sure it will run on older versions of FireOS.
- I intentionally left the version number the same so that the in-app updater will not try to install the official Amazon blocked version 3.2.3.
- Home button double-press is now overridden by FireOS. If you figure out a workaround, please share it!
- Make sure to thank @sphinx02 for this awesome app! I've been using it for a long time on a daily basis, and very much appreciate his work!
So, since the built-in updater successfully installs official versions, attached is the working build to get you by until @sphinx02 can release a proper update.
- brand new stick
- FireStarter, Kodi 17.6 and Build installed
How am I able to ...
a) ... get Kodi to TV-sticks mainpage (to avoid the step to start FireStarter first)
b) ... get Kodi-Build-logo to TV-sticks mainpage
c) ... get Kodi-Build startend while booting TV-Stick
d) ... get that Homebutton-thing working again (2x Build and 1x regulär Stick-Menü [or vise versa])
a and b; I have found launcher the app from amazons launcher gets the Kodi app into recents (long press home button, scroll to kodi)
c and d; here is a link how to install alternate launchers with home button mods.