[App] AsusUpdater v1.0.4 - WW System updates for Tencent/Unlocked phones

Search This thread

HomerSp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Tencent edition of the ROG Phone 2, and was a bit annoyed to see that automatic system updates no longer worked after converting it to a WW ROM. I did some digging and found out that ASUS uses the IMEI of the device to track what updates the device is entitled to, including the region. So a CN IMEI would only be entitled to CN firmware updates.

That's what led me to write this app that interacts directly with the ASUS servers to look for updates, but using a spoofed IMEI that makes the server think it's WW. It was a bit of work to figure out how it all works, but I have managed it, and it seems to work as it should - I successfully upgraded from .44 to .64 just a short while ago using the app.

Download
v1.0.4:
- Allow input of custom IMEI
- Fix issues on Android 10 beta
- Other fixes
https://github.com/HomerSp/AsusUpdater/releases/download/v1.0.4/AsusUpdater-v1.0.4.apk

v1.0.3:
- Enable downloading updates via mobile data
- Several UI fixes
https://github.com/HomerSp/AsusUpdater/releases/download/v1.0.3/AsusUpdater-v1.0.3.apk

v1.0.2:
- Fix updates not working when on CN fingerprint (for real this time)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgDM9T6u4z4LLLudHYIg3hb6OPw7Qz29

v1.0.1:
- Fix updates not working when on CN fingerprint
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_hYwPi3Q_8tW6gaBnQvNmohWR4Q4wP2o

v1.0:
- Initial release
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVh8OmgMxMg-jQfpF2LmIW4cqBDKXtyz/view?usp=sharing

Instructions
The app is very basic, but it does what it should. It will check for updates every hour, and send you a notification if it has found an update - or you can force a check by opening the app and pressing the button.
Once the update is downloaded (the updater will notify you when it's done), you will need to restart the device, and upon booting again you will be notified by the system that a system update has been found and be asked if you want to apply it or not.
That's really it, the system will handle the updating from there.

Note 1:
You need to be on completely stock firmware for the update to apply properly. The bootloader can be unlocked, but you can't be rooted or such.

Note 2:
For the updater to work correctly you'll have to allow it to auto-start by going to System settings -> Battery -> PowerMaster -> Auto-start manager and make sure ASUS updater is ticked. Not doing this means you will have to run the app once each boot for notification to work correctly.

Note 3:
If the update fails (after rebooting and starting the update), I will need a log to be able to figure out what's wrong. The relevant tag is UpdateLauncher.

Source code:
AsusUpdater - Github

Do let me know if it's working for you, or if you can think of any improvements I can make.

Last edited:

deeplyyoung

Feb 28, 2013
Wow great work mate I will download the app when the next update will be available.
I wish you can develop something for volte and vowifi.
+1 for VOWIFI

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Hope you can get some more app for our lovely ROG 2 like this. Keep it up...

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

tnbt

Sep 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Tencent edition of the ROG Phone 2, and was a bit annoyed to see that automatic system updates no longer worked after converting it to a WW ROM. I did some digging and found out that ASUS uses the IMEI of the device to track what updates the device is entitled to, including the region. So a CN IMEI would only be entitled to CN firmware updates.

That's what led me to write this app that interacts directly with the ASUS servers to look for updates, but using a spoofed IMEI that makes the server think it's WW. It was a bit of work to figure out how it all works, but I have managed it, and it seems to work as it should - I successfully upgraded from .44 to .64 just a short while ago using the app.

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVh8OmgMxMg-jQfpF2LmIW4cqBDKXtyz/view?usp=sharing

Instructions
The app is very basic, but it does what it should. It will check for updates every hour, and send you a notification if it has found an update - or you can force a check by opening the app and pressing the button.
Once the update is downloaded (the updater will notify you when it's done), you will need to restart the device, and upon booting again you will be notified by the system that a system update has been found and be asked if you want to apply it or not.

Note 1:
You need to be on completely stock firmware for the update to apply properly. The bootloader can be unlocked, but you can't be rooted or such.

Note 2:
For the updater to work correctly you'll have to allow it to auto-start by going to System settings -> Battery -> PowerMaster -> Auto-start manager and make sure ASUS updater is ticked. Not doing this means you will have to run the app once each boot for notification to work correctly.

Do let me know if it's working for you, or if you can think of any improvements I can make.
Hats off for you Senior.

Juraviel

Nov 13, 2013
I'm on WW_ZS660KL-16.0622.1906.19-0, was never able to update this phone that I imported from China to EU, and your tool doesn't find new updates available to install either. Could it be that I'm on ww firmware but cn fingerprint? (seller's doing, not mine). I'm 100% on stock everything (meaning, I haven't tinkered with the software one bit). Would appreciate some clarification, thank you.

Last edited:

HomerSp

Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
I'm on WW_ZS660KL-16.0622.1906.19-0, was never able to update this phone that I imported from China to EU, and your tool doesn't find new updates available to install either. Could it be that I'm on ww firmware but cn fingerprint? (seller's doing, not mine). I'm 100% on stock everything (meaning, I haven't tinkered with the software one bit). Would appreciate some clarification, thank you.
As it turns out, the CN fingerprint does affect it; I didn't think it would, but one of the props that the app uses to send to the server actually changes based on the fingerprint.

I've fixed it, so please try this, and let me know if it works:

Reactions: srk_srinivas

Juraviel

Nov 13, 2013
It found and downloaded this time, but the update process itself fails, I tried twice. May be because my version is too old? It's the same if I download the update file manually and put it on root, phone detects it after reboot but unable to flash the update.

Last edited:

HomerSp

Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
It found and downloaded this time, but the update process itself fails, I tried twice. May be because my version is too old? It's the same if I download the update file manually and put it on root, phone detects it after reboot but unable to flash the update.
A log would say what's wrong, most likely one of the partitions isn't completely stock - they probably botched something when they flashed the WW ROM on it. Feel free to send me a log and I can have a look.

Juraviel

Nov 13, 2013
Just change the fingerprint to WW, having a WW rom with CN fingerprint will cause more issues.
I can't 'just change it' without rooting the phone, unless there's a way in unaware of. I was planning to do that once android q releases. Otherwise, it's just too much hassle with currently available untested methods.

How do I do that @HomerSp

avivv

Mar 15, 2012

I can't 'just change it' without rooting the phone, unless there's a way in unaware of. I was planning to do that once android q releases. Otherwise, it's just too much hassle with currently available untested methods.

Sure you can, it's easy just follow this guide, no need to root or to wipe and it takes 5 minutes

https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/asus-rog2-cn-phone-flash-ww-root-t4008229

HomerSp

Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm

I would indeed recommend changing the fingerprint to WW as having a CN fingerprint causes a whole bunch of issues, although that most likely won't fix your upgrade issue. The EDL method is really easy, and can be done in a couple of minutes - and does not require rooting.

As for the log, have you used adb and such? I just need a logcat. There are plenty of guides on how to do that, so I won't go into that here.

Juraviel

Nov 13, 2013
You were right it was fairly easy, although the original tutorial should have a warning that entering in edl mode causes the screen to go black and the phone completely unresponsive! Other than that it went smooth. You did an amazing job.

Edit: well, actually, it still fails ;) I'll keep at it

Last edited:

kashif31

May 6, 2015
Sesto
Hey I changed my fingerprint from cn to ww now I am fully covertred I download the update from your app the update size is 128mb I rebooted my device it detected the update but when I click on update it says update failed :( any idea what's wrong ?

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Hey I changed my fingerprint from cn to ww now I am fully covertred I download the update from your app the update size is 128mb I rebooted my device it detected the update but when I click on update it says update failed :( any idea what's wrong ?
Nvm there was an error with the file which was downloaded by your app .. i download the file again n it worked

Reactions: Juraviel

HomerSp

Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Nvm there was an error with the file which was downloaded by your app .. i download the file again n it worked
If you get this again I would need a logcat to be able to help you. The update dialog you see on reboot isn't from my app, but it's a system app that I have no control over - so there's no way of telling what's causing it to fail, except for a log.

Dec 9, 2019
Thanks so much for this app, I was thinking I would just need to apply the updates manually as they came out. It doesn't seem to be downloading the update when I tap the button though, my data usage stays in the KB/s range or lower. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

Download
    v1.0.4:
    - Allow input of custom IMEI
    - Fix issues on Android 10 beta
    - Other fixes
    https://github.com/HomerSp/AsusUpdater/releases/download/v1.0.4/AsusUpdater-v1.0.4.apk

v1.0.3:
    - Enable downloading updates via mobile data
    - Several UI fixes
    https://github.com/HomerSp/AsusUpdater/releases/download/v1.0.3/AsusUpdater-v1.0.3.apk

v1.0.2:
    - Fix updates not working when on CN fingerprint (for real this time)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgDM9T6u4z4LLLudHYIg3hb6OPw7Qz29

v1.0.1:
    - Fix updates not working when on CN fingerprint

v1.0:
    - Initial release

Instructions

Note 1:

Note 2:

Note 3:
    If the update fails (after rebooting and starting the update), I will need a log to be able to figure out what's wrong. The relevant tag is UpdateLauncher.

Source code:
    AsusUpdater - Github

Update coming soon :)
    Special thanks to @JazonX!
    I've just released v1.0.4. It allows you to input a custom IMEI number to get updates for a different region and such. It also includes a fix for updates not working on Android 10 beta.
    Success! I ended up having to uninstall the app and delete the zip file it had downloaded, then start from scratch, but it worked in the end. Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing this app become more and more robust through updates.

I'm taking Java programming classes in college right now. If there's any way I might be able to help develop, let me know!
    Glad to see that it worked! I've added the source code to the first post, so feel free to study that, and if you're up for it, send pull requests through github :)
    My current rom is ww .64 and my bootloader is locked non root device with fingerprint changed to ww can I use your app to future updates?
    Yes, it should work just fine.
    I am indeed. I prefer it because it's unlimited and faster than my current wifi. But good to know! I'll switch to wifi for the download. Having that option in the UI would be a nice addition I think.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Well, the download worked (about 10 times because I was silly and spammed the button) but the update itself failed, there wasn't even an attempt. Must be an incompatibility with my device fingerprint or some similar thing. I'm using the latest version of the app you posted.
    Try clearing the app data of Asus Updater and test it again. Something may have broken.

I'll add the option of downloading over mobile data to a future update!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone