[APP] AudioBoost 2.4 - support and feedback

Search This thread

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Can it use with galaxy tab? :)

Don't know, sorry! if it's rooted you can try...you can always get a refund within 24 hours...then post back the answer for other to know too...
Also if it doesn't work and you know how to post an adb logcat I can look if it's possible to make it work...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

aegeuss

Jan 20, 2008
Ankara
Yes, I know. It has already been asked a couple of times, I will give you an answer now.
Short answer is that it doesn't exist a simple alsa control for that, so no simple way for me to implement it with a short update to the code.
Long answer is
1. I don't have a bluetooth headset to try anything out. I will try to ask some friend and get one though.
2. The first thing I want to concentrate on now, as I feel it is strongly needed, is a proper error handling. This is needed to ease the froyo upgrading and to help anyone who is having problems installing understanding which is the problem and eventually fix it. This requires some time and testing, also installing and trying out froyo myself and trying to figure out all worst case scenarios...I don't think I will add more functionality before addressing these problems (next days).
3. After this I will certainly try to test other alsa tweakings and hopefully do something about bluetooth and also to route call voice through headphones even without a mic. I do think there is a possibility to do that, but it requires some time to figure it out... ;) then again, this will be surely an ugly hack, so it will need even more deep testing! :p
4. In the meantime I really want to look into the possibility of creating a decent widget.
5. I also need to study for my next university exams, so I will not have all day to write code... :p

So to sum up...expect something about bluetooth, but not before at least a couple of weeks... ;)

Hi Carlocb,

Thanks for this great app, I have bought and using it, it's great. However I this important problem, I also have a bluetooth set and the volume level on it is too low. Any news on developing a code on this? It will be superb.

Regards.

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Hi Carlocb,

Thanks for this great app, I have bought and using it, it's great. However I this important problem, I also have a bluetooth set and the volume level on it is too low. Any news on developing a code on this? It will be superb.

Regards.

I'm waiting the new voodoo release with audio tweaks by supercurio for further development! Stay tuned! ;)

logicalgod

Nov 6, 2010
Hi there, appologies if this has been covered.

When running audioboost the refresh keeps running even with it disabled. The problem with this is that it keeps the cpu at around 800Mhz, if I disable the refresh it drops to the 200Mhz range. It also seemed to prevent sleep which ate my battery in about 6h. If you have time please can you link disable with the refresh or make a very simple widget that does the job of refresh. Thank you for the great app.

Sgs i9000
Stock 2.2 (jpo)
Latest audioboost fresh install from market.

Edit:
Seems that disableing the refresh had no effect till the service was restarted. On the plus side I can exit the app and still have +volume which works. Btw refresh set to 5000

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
Hi Carlocb,

I bought your app a few days ago and it's totally awesome.
I was using Docs JPO 7.6.2 ROM. For some reason, I re-flashed my device, wiping the memory to factory default (due to some lagfix corruption).

Anyways, now with my new installation, your app doesn't work at all. I tried the update.zip method, but the alsa settings page keeps coming in front. When I try the normal install, the alsa settings does not come up, BUT there us no change in audio levels.

I've tried restarting the app and service, and even re-installing it, but no luck.
I'm using Zenkinz's Ya-OK kernel.. which I don't think should matter as I've used your app sucessfully before on this.

Pls help. Thanks!

voxdub

Nov 6, 2010
Works great in terms of increasing the headphone volume on my SGS. Unfortunately it wipes my battery in a matter of just a few hours and the lag it creates is unbearable, youtube is unwatchable when audioboost is running.

Checked on quadrant, even with refresh set at 5000 it drops my quadrant score from 1800 to 1400.

Will keep an eye on the app, if these get fixed will happily pay for it to watch quiet movies in noisy places.

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
Ok.. apprantly myfile system was corrupted or such...
The alsa files were not going into the system as it was displaying 0KB free.

I had to re-format everything and this time I installed the alsa first before doing anything else!

lucbl1

Oct 6, 2010
I'm on rooted JPO 2.2 firmware, and i can only achieve 63 on volume level.....wasn't it suposed to reach 100?

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
I realised that as long as the service is running, it will be continuously refreshing.. You can feel it from quadrant benchmarks during the 3D tests whereby the animation pauses.

Apparently, when I turn off "disable" the boost, I still get this issue as long as the service is running. Should the refreshing discontinue if non of the boosts (headphone/speaker/mic) is turned on?

When I manually terminate the service, I can't turn it back on unless I do a reboot. Isn't there a way to run the service as and when you like it?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
I realised that as long as the service is running, it will be continuously refreshing.. You can feel it from quadrant benchmarks during the 3D tests whereby the animation pauses.

Apparently, when I turn off "disable" the boost, I still get this issue as long as the service is running. Should the refreshing discontinue if non of the boosts (headphone/speaker/mic) is turned on?

When I manually terminate the service, I can't turn it back on unless I do a reboot. Isn't there a way to run the service as and when you like it?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
What are you talking about? You hit menu button - quit - quit...the service is terminated. When you open audioboost again, the service is started again. What's the problem? The way to run it as and when you like it is simply to open and close the app when you like it! :p

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Works great in terms of increasing the headphone volume on my SGS. Unfortunately it wipes my battery in a matter of just a few hours and the lag it creates is unbearable, youtube is unwatchable when audioboost is running.

Checked on quadrant, even with refresh set at 5000 it drops my quadrant score from 1800 to 1400.

Will keep an eye on the app, if these get fixed will happily pay for it to watch quiet movies in noisy places.
Are you using any lagfix, kernel, etc.? Because when I did the tests (with sztupy's kernel) after 3000-3500ms the drop in quadrant was almost unnoticeable...
Anyway, thing is, it needs the refresh if you want it to automatically restore your chosen volume when the system changes it (message in, call received, etc.). The refresh functions generates some cpu usage and there's nothing I can do about it. What you can do about it is using higher refresh time, using a good kernel with lagfix, closing the app when you're not using it or not using the refresh function at all. The combination of the first three options works great for me, but each of us is different. I could implement the "manual refresh"...like another statusbar icon to click on to execute the tweak when you want when you're not using the refresh feature.
When the new voodoo kernel will come out, it should make the refresh feature useless anyway, because the chosen volumes will never change. That will also mean zero lag...

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
What are you talking about? You hit menu button - quit - quit...the service is terminated. When you open audioboost again, the service is started again. What's the problem? The way to run it as and when you like it is simply to open and close the app when you like it! :p

Yea, I tried that, for some reason the service wasn't running again. I was meddling with the android "running services". What's shown there doesn't tally with the app running.

Anyways, I tried your method consistently and yea.. I understand the behavior and it works the way you said it. Perfect for peeps like me who listen to MP3 once a while. Thanks man!

Also.. if ya need more feedback.. how abt having a widget that toggles this service? :D

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Yea, I tried that, for some reason the service wasn't running again. I was meddling with the android "running services". What's shown there doesn't tally with the app running.

Anyways, I tried your method consistently and yea.. I understand the behavior and it works the way you said it. Perfect for peeps like me who listen to MP3 once a while. Thanks man!

Also.. if ya need more feedback.. how abt having a widget that toggles this service? :D
Yeah, the widget has always been in my plans! As soon as I have more time to work on that, it will be done! ;)

Ciex

Oct 22, 2010
Just a question. Why isn't audio boost 2 not working for bluetooth? I can hear a little differently when I'm using cable for listening music, but wirelss, no.

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Just a question. Why isn't audio boost 2 not working for bluetooth? I can hear a little differently when I'm using cable for listening music, but wirelss, no.

Because bluetooth headsets are handled differently from wired ones...there is no alsa mixer for bluetooth volume...

Berryberry

Aug 5, 2010
I've just tried this app, much louder sound but there's a little bit noise and the sound seems to be "colder". However, this is a great app. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS:
    My work is ONLY the application, it was intended for my personal use, but I figured that it could be useful to someone else, until supercurio doesn't come out with something better (and I hope he will).
    So the HARD PART of the work, like finding out how to tweak the volume limit using alsa, etc. was done by supercurio and we should all thank him a lot for all his work! :D
    Thanks also to RyanZA for creating the z4root application, very very useful! ;)

PREREQUISITES:
    1. Your phone must be ROOTED!

ATTENTION FOR FROYO!!:
    With froyo official updates, it is NO LONGER possible to flash custom update.zip!! If you want to leave your phone unrooted, however, there is a simple way to achive this:

1. Download from the market the free application "z4root" from our beloved RyanZA! (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953)
    2. Use the z4root application to get root privileges
    3. Now open audioboost and choose "NORMAL INSTALL"
    4. Now or whenever you feel like it, if you want, you can just open z4root again and *unroot* your device. After that, you can even erase z4root and continue using audioboost without problems until next firmware upgrade...the app won't leave any trace and it won't be noticeable that your phone has been rooted.
    If you liked this approach, you can also donate to RyanZA for the wonderful app he's created!

INSTALLATION:
    If you had previously a beta version installed, please uninstall it before trying the release 1.0.

If you don't have already installed alsa, the app will check your installation when you launch it, and eventually it will ask you to install alsa. Please do so.

FEATURES:
    - Headphones, speaker and microphone tweaking! :D
    - I optimized the code a lot, so now it is very low on resource usage, even with a 1-second refresh rate!
    - You can leave it in background all day without noticing any lag or anything! ;)
    - Now with some sort of icon.
    - Signed.

UPDATED 1.1:
    - When clicking exit button it will clean up better.
    - Cleaned up a bit the Settings activity, and added preview of next feature (statusbar notifications).
    - Changed Info activity a bit.

UPDATED 1.2:
    - Fixed a bug that prevented the app to work properly!

UPDATED 1.3:
    - GLOBAL REFRESH! ;) Now the refresh time and enabling/disabling is under Settings and works for ALL controls (headphones, speaker and mic).
    - Fixed (hopefully) problems with ALSA INSTALLATION, plus now a progress dialog is displayed (just for you to know that is working and for me when posting problems - I hope not - you can say "stuck at x%"...)
    - Fixed QUIT bug. Now when you click the exit button it should really exit and not show up in background even with task killer. PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE APP, use the exit button!!!
    - Now menu has icons! :D
    - Plus a lot of things that you may not notice, but are very useful for overall speed and low system resource impact! The code has been changed A LOT, let me tell ya! :cool:

...Well hope everything works just fine! Please post feedback on mic functioning with these new features! ;)

UPDATED 1.4.1:
    - Just fixed a little thing which prevented the correct alsa installation, nothing definitive as I'm looking to manage every single possible error scenario...

UPDATED 2.0:
    - Works even on unrooted phones
    - Alsa installation takes now a split second! You MUST do that even if you used version 1.x (permissions changed...)
    - Audio-boosting feature is a service that can be backgrounded
    - Statusbar notification
    - Start on phone boot
    - Refresh rate in milliseconds...you can have values lower than 1 second, default is 500ms...obviously greater values = worst experience = better performance....your call! :p
    - New app logo...hope you like it!
    - A lot of other improvements that I'm not remembering right now! :p

UPDATED 2.1:
    - Fixed lagging issues (OMG java Timer class implementation on android sucks badly!!!)

- Dropped "always active" option in settings (not very user-friendly/intuitive)

- Added little dialog when hitting menu/Quit that asks if you want to background the app or close it for good (more user-friendly for my taste)

Regarding *lagging* issues: of course, if you keep like 2-3 milliseconds refresh it WILL lag indeed! That depends on use-cases:

- I, for instance, use my app when listening to music while driving. In that circumstance, I have no problem occupying resources because I'm not actually using my phone apart from playing music. If an email comes in though, I'd *hate* to have to wait 10 seconds to boost volume again, so I keep 100-200ms. When I exit the car, I click "disable" and close audioboost.

- Someone who is listening to music while using the phone intensively should use a higher refresh.

I think that with 2000ms refresh, version 2.1 shouldn't lag even all-day long. Even with lower values it should be fine...you should find your preferred setting by yourselves! ;)

UPDATE 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4:
    - Fixed some bugs.
    - Improved froyo compatibility.
    - Mounts /system as rw during install.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RATE/COMMENT THE APP IN THE MARKET, THANK YOU EVERYBODY :)

- OLD:

Ok...let's explain a bit. Yesterday evening I wanted to know if it existed a tweak to boost the audio volume coming from the headphones. I think that there is some sort of European law or something like that which limits the volume that headphones can produce. This is probably a good thing to avoid hearing problems with *headphones*, but in my situation it sucks badly! Yes, because I use my phone as a music source in my car, and my car hifi is not powerful enough to let me hear my music at the level I like...
    However...I was addressed at this thread, from post #300 on...
    Well, I read the thread (and I STRONGLY ADVISE you do the same before downloading anything from my post), but I didn't like very much the limitations of that tweak. It works alright, but it seems to me that an sh script is not the more comfortable way to go on a mobile phone. If you think differently from me, feel free to keep using the script method, without posting useless comments. ;)

So I created a tiny little (horrible I must say) application which kinda does basically the same thing as the script, but in a (from my point of view) much cooler way! It is very ugly, but it's my first android application and I bought the phone just 2 weeks ago...
    How does this work? Very simple: there is a textbox in which you can enter the desired amp level, an enable button and a disable one. You should enter the value you prefer (default is 62), then click enable button. You should now leave the app RUNNING in background. When you are finished using the tweak you can tap the disable button to return to the default (of the firmware) settings.
    Basically what the application does is it creates a 2-seconds timer which calls everytime the alsamixer (a little better than using an infinite loop as in the script...) with the desired settings. It doesn't seem to impact the battery life too much from my little testing, but please post any feedback on this point.