[APP] Automated LED Blink for Hero with Preferences (version 2.1.1 Final) 10-15-09

Fictionles

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Updated Changelog
- Fixed bug where notifications were not clearing properly.

- Added Preferences panel for enabling and disabling different notification features
- Automatically detect and disable itself for MyTouch/Magic/Sapphire devices (should eliminate FCs)
- compatible with ROMs with modified build.prop files

- Fix for multiple notifications. Should properly keep track of existing and any new notifications when clearing (especially for Google Talk)
- smaller footprint

- Major fix for length of LED notifications. Should blink until phone gets plugged in or until you accept them.
- reordered versions for clarity.

- Added Trackball notifications to light Green LEDS (should work for SMS, missed calls, voicemails, etc. Make sure to enable in Settings/Sound and Display)
- Added additional color information from Missed Call LEDS.
- Logging enhancements to capture information while plugged in

- Original release

Install information - add "-r" to adb install command to overwrite previous release. Reboot and you're good to go.

This will be the final build for this app. There's a few ROMs available with custom build.prop settings that will automatically enable the LEDs for almost all of the Hero functions. For the notifications it doesn't do, this app will intercept those notifications and light up the normal LEDs on G1 devices.

It will no longer constantly FC on MyTouch/Magic/Ion/Sapphire users, but it will no longer run as well since it is not needed for those systems (afaik).

By default, the only setting that is enabled is the Hero notifications. You will have to launch the preference application that is now included and turn on both the Charging LEDs and the normal notification LEDs if they aren't automatically being lit already. A reboot isn't required to start if you launch the preference app.

Credits - Shafty for the hard work (as well as a dozen others), jinx for the scheduling program, and manup for the icon.

So, try it out and see if it works if you're interested.

Last edited:

Syst3m Deadlock

Aug 2, 2009
Allentown, PA
I unzipped the .apk, mounted my phone and put it into the root folder, than installed through ASTRO and it installed just fine. After I rebooted it's not appearing in my apps anywhere. What did I do wrong? I did not have any prior HeroLED app on my phone prior to installing this. It appears in my apps when I got into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. It's not appearing in the actual app menu though. Help?

Last edited:

|Rene|

Jul 19, 2009
Hey, how can I remove my old existing HeroLED.apk? In Manage Apps I'm only able to stop the process but remove button is inactive!? My Device is a HTC Magic (Vodafone Germany).

Fictionles

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia
It installed fine but once it did I couldn't find the app?
There's no app for this one (yet). Everything is done automatically after boot.

Hey, how can I remove my old existing HeroLED.apk? In Manage Apps I'm only able to stop the process but remove button is inactive!? My Device is a HTC Magic (Vodafone Germany).
Sounds like its hung. You may have to remove it manually. Check either in /data/app or /data/app_s. Remove a file there called HeroLED.apk then reboot. Then you should be able to remove it normally.

Fictionles

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Awesome, when do you think the final version will be released?
Its pretty close to final as it is. The only things still left undetermined is MT3G support and how well it performs after the phone 'goes to sleep.'

Those are the only things I anticipate to do some final tweaking for. I've been using it for the better part of 2 weeks, and I can't tell the difference between BFS issues and my app issues; so I'm posting it here for extended evaluation.

Fictionles

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Just to be sure, this works with jac-heroski 2.2b or a?Ill want to get a g1 i currently dont have any android phones yet.
It should for any Hero rom, provided there isn't a led app already installed.

The only problem I have with this is that it doesn't flash for new text messages, is it just me or is this already known?

P.s. I tried using Missed Call, but all the LED's come out red.
If text messages are configured to flash the leds, it should. The color is picked depending on what the app is configured for.

Post or send me a logcat when those messages are coming in. Its possible its using a flag my app isn't configured for.

Fictionles

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Connect via usb and if you have the android SDK run adb logcat and direct the output to a file.

Prior to that make sure under Settings/Sound and Display/Notification Flash that the items are checked off.

I may have a fix for this I'll be uploading shortly, just need some confirmations.